Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 19 of 19
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: How difficult is Windsor?

  1. #1
    hydrogen4 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    21
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    How difficult is Windsor?

    What proportion of the class is left by the last semester?

    Does Windsor just pass everyone mostly?
    Or do they make difficult exams (like Ross, AUA) and cut 30% of the class after semester1 and so on and stuff?

    What is the passing score on comp for you guys?

  2. #11
    socratic is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Quote Originally Posted by PnS11 View Post
    No one truly fails out of Windsor. They just get sick of taking pathology 6 times in the span of a year during retake periods and think that the school is screwing them over. They run to Atlantic, who welcomes them with open arms. And then proceeds to screw them again. You can always ask how many residents they've matched.
    Isn't that basically the same as failing then? I'm guessing it will show up as either a WU, or INC or F on transcript if they
    left it unfinished ?
    houmd likes this.

  3. #12
    PnS11 is offline Senior Member 6123 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rub my tattays
    Posts
    902
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    Isn't that basically the same as failing then? I'm guessing it will show up as either a WU, or INC or F on transcript if they
    left it unfinished ?

    Students falsify Windsor transcripts and transfer to AUSOM. Or they just start over at AUSOM and take those compressed finals on their computers at home. They do no make mention to ECFMG that they attended another medical school prior to AUSOM. Which is a serious offense but they do it anyway and hope to not get caught.

    They just get a clean, new transcript from AUSOM stating they passed everything with flying colors.

    I am not familiar with AUSOM, but I have been told exams can be taken at home on a computer. I believe this option is for those that are retaking Windsor exams. But then there are a bunch of them in Chicago that I see that have not started rotations as yet, but have been here for nearly two years now.
    houmd likes this.

  4. #13
    PnS11 is offline Senior Member 6123 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rub my tattays
    Posts
    902
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen4 View Post
    What proportion of the class is left by the last semester?

    Does Windsor just pass everyone mostly?
    Or do they make difficult exams (like Ross, AUA) and cut 30% of the class after semester1 and so on and stuff?

    What is the passing score on comp for you guys?
    When I was on the island, no one was held back until fifth semester back in the US. Shortly after I left, they started holding people back that had retakes for the semester two behind. You could not go to third if you had a retake for first, nor could you go to fourth with a retake from second semester. I think they have clamped down further on the rules, but they are somewhat strict now.

    During my era, it was easy to play the system and get by. It doesn't seem so anymore, as NBMEs have been implemented for many subjects. The class exams are still simple questions, not proper clinical vignettes. Or very simple ones. "Guy fell on outstretched hand, what nerve or bone is damaged?"

    Windsor is not in the business of kicking students out. They are in it for the money, so they will give you "second chances" like candy, until the checks stop coming in. So there's some security, so long as you have money. What you sacrifice for the security is transparency in grading, grades, etc. That's a different story, but it is a task and a half to get your grades and grades rechecked over a discrepancy.

    You just take the comp at a Prometric center. School registers you, you pay for it, and that's it. You take it. 65%, I think, but most students, myself included, were nowhere near passing at the end of MD5 but we were let through. So that maybe just be a grade for completion and you "pass."
    Last edited by PnS11; 09-24-2014 at 12:44 AM.

  5. #14
    hydrogen4 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    21
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don1 View Post
    ....these people clearly do not know how to study or have a serious learning impairment.
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's the same way people like you and us "didn't know how to study or had a serious learning impairment" when studying for undergrad and for the MCAT. (And therefore failed at getting into a US Medical School)

  6. #15
    socratic is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen4 View Post
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's the same way people like you and us "didn't know how to study or had a serious learning impairment" when studying for undergrad and for the MCAT. (And therefore failed at getting into a US Medical School)
    While your argument is seemingly logical. It really is not.

    You can't compare apples to oranges. MCAT is an apple, USMLE is an Orange, or Us and Carib Schools.

    Just because you didn't do well enough in undergrad doesn't always mean that you cant hack it in med school.
    Or the same goes for MCAT and USMLE.

    Some people just suck at Math, or Physics or Orgo or Chem, but the Biology based Medical education comes easy to them.

    MCAT admin realized that as well, which is why new MCAT has more medical related sections beginning 2015.

  7. #16
    PnS11 is offline Senior Member 6123 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    rub my tattays
    Posts
    902
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socratic View Post
    While your argument is seemingly logical. It really is not.

    You can't compare apples to oranges. MCAT is an apple, USMLE is an Orange, or Us and Carib Schools.

    Just because you didn't do well enough in undergrad doesn't always mean that you cant hack it in med school.
    Or the same goes for MCAT and USMLE.

    Some people just suck at Math, or Physics or Orgo or Chem, but the Biology based Medical education comes easy to them.

    MCAT admin realized that as well, which is why new MCAT has more medical related sections beginning 2015.

    This is true, however I believe there are many studies that have shown that MCAT scores have a strong correlation with the USMLE, in terms of performance/scores. And it's not because they're science related or are involved in medical school in some way or another, but instead is about a student's test taking ability. You'll hear many students, regardless of their performance, say that the exam is fair and the questions are not meant to trick you. It's the length of the test that gets to students, and that's what they'll be upset about after the exam, but that is the way the exam is. But it's part of how you take tests and pace yourself and then how you approach each question. I think I saw improvement in that by simply doing questions and not by digging further in to Robbins or even First Aid.

    I heard about the MCAT changes, but I don't know what they will be. I think the writing section needs to go and there needs to be a greater focus on biology and chemistry, and not physics. Maybe because physics killed me and I only use the basic principles I learned in high school physics in physio. I could be missing the point, though.

    For those that never took the MCAT, it's a moot point because they have nothing to go off of. But I imagine if you were in the mid-20s on the MCAT but still came to the Caribbean, you should have a better chance of doing well/passing than someone who did worse or never took it, assuming you have worked hard on your test taking skills along the way.

    Windsor not requiring an MCAT is a stupid decision. I think students should at least take it and be accepted for at least taking it. I think that would turn a few not-so-serious students away from medicine. And I mean that in a good way. They may realize "ain't nobody got time for that." I think it'll keep out the uber-young high school kids out as well, which will help the school with its constant behavior problems. Older students screw around too; but the younger ones were the most notorious. And it'll clean the school's image a bit too if they are weeded out early or forced to mature in university before coming there.

    Easiest thing to do when coming to the island is forget your past. Because whether you took the MCAT or not, or passed or failed chem or bio classes in college, it's a whole different ballgame in med school, and in a whole different league in the Caribbean. You'll know very quickly if you'll be able to stay afloat or not, even if the retake policy at Windsor is a mirage of false hope. So be smart.

  8. #17
    don1 is offline Moderator 547 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,349
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My marks in undergrad started out average and I finished on the honor role/Dean's List. I learned how to study by the end of undergrad, but my marks at the beginning made for a less than stellar application for a north American medical school.

    I know how to study now. I am now a resident in competitive specialty at a top university program. Medical students at the university program I am at now take 1-3 weeks to study for the USMLE step 1 or 2 and do above average (>220, no one worries about passing). In comparison, someone who studies "every minute of the day" and can not pass clearly does not know who to study or has a serious learning impairment.

    When you are around students/residents who continuously do exceedingly well, you start to question excuses some make for consistent poor performance.

    Quote Originally Posted by hydrogen4 View Post
    Yeah, you're absolutely right. It's the same way people like you and us "didn't know how to study or had a serious learning impairment" when studying for undergrad and for the MCAT. (And therefore failed at getting into a US Medical School)
    Last edited by don1; 09-26-2014 at 07:26 AM.

  9. #18
    socratic is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pns11,

    Yes, there is a corelation between MCAT and USMLE and standardized exams.

    And, I agree, all Med schools should require MCAT. It will definitely weed out the ones coming to surf the island.

  10. #19
    hydrogen4 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    21
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don1 View Post
    My marks in undergrad started out average and I finished on the honor role/Dean's List. I learned how to study by the end of undergrad, but my marks at the beginning made for a less than stellar application for a north American medical school.

    I know how to study now. I am now a resident in competitive specialty at a top university program. Medical students at the university program I am at now take 1-3 weeks to study for the USMLE step 1 or 2 and do above average (>220, no one worries about passing). In comparison, someone who studies "every minute of the day" and can not pass clearly does not know who to study or has a serious learning impairment.

    When you are around students/residents who continuously do exceedingly well, you start to question excuses some make for consistent poor performance.
    Yeah you're absolutely right.
    I know some kids who failed at Saba/Ross and then transferred to lower tiered schools like windsor/st. eus..etc.

    Their marks in medschool started out poor in Saba/Ross but they finished in good ranking at the schools they transferred to (Windsor, St. Eus..etc). They learned how to study during medschool, but their marks at the beginning made for a less than passing score for Saba/Ross.

    They know how to study now. They are now residents in competitive specialties at good university programs. Medical students at the university program they are at now take 2-4 weeks to study for the USMLE step 1 or 2 and do above average (>220, passing is a given). Someone who studies "every minute of the day" and can not pass clearly CAN figure out how to study or attain serious learning enhancements/tactics.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. AUA pre-med difficult!
    By ZON in forum AUA Pre-Med Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-03-2008, 10:53 PM
  2. how difficult?
    By canadianstudent888 in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-11-2005, 10:42 PM
  3. How difficult is it to get in ??
    By senz_asian in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-02-2005, 09:07 AM
  4. How difficult is it to get admitted in windsor? Help!!!!
    By bharatjoker in forum Windsor University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-22-2005, 08:03 AM
  5. How Difficult?
    By OrchidVN in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2003, 02:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •