Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Cali visit

  1. #1
    mgdoc1 is offline Junior Member 44 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Cali visit

    Advertisements



    It is aconcern that some one in Admin please address. AUA has opened their institute just few years ago and they already have planned a visit by Cali board for preliminary review and instructions to be followed by the full aproval. Keep in mind that this institute is already NY approved.
    On the other hand WUSOM is in operation for over 12yrs or so, has not even solicited approval from NY. By now WUSOM should have been leader among all the 2nd teir institutes and approved by both NY and CA.
    Please do not be negative in your comments as it does not help any thing. Can some one from the school admin address it? or some one with good knowledge about this system. What needs to be done? Or What other applications WUSOM needs to perform such as research or??
    Thanks for your time

  2. #2
    Pnakhla is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    312
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    To the best of my knowledge no one from our admin posts on here. So I'll do my best to answer your question.

    From the general understanding we are awaiting a NY visit in order to get approval.
    Also I do not think any school has gotten approval for California without having NY first. So if we do get NY expect California to follow a few years later.

    As a side note it is my understanding that for California if you are a practicing for a year or more you can go appeal to their medical board for a license. Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong on that one or provide the link with the information if I am right.
    Windsor students need to whine less and study more

    MDIN2009
    Too many DRAMA QUEENS on the forum... law enforcement, Lawsuits, 2012, Chupacabras on the island, liberal conspiracies....on and on.Hidden Content

  3. #3
    AspiringDoctor is offline Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    129
    Downloads
    9
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    From what I know, it will take about 3 years to get NY approval. This is because I called the NY board to find out ( I dont remember the exact name I did it over 3 weeks ago now)

  4. #4
    mgdoc1 is offline Junior Member 44 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dear Pnkhla: Thanks for your effort to reply.
    This is a request to all who read this thread to inquire and use your resorces to get the final conclusion. Ask faculty, request Dean to get information.
    If some knows for real that after working as an MD for few years in other states, one can work in CA. If some one has an article, please be specific and give information about that publication and referance where to find it.
    This will be great help to hunderds of student who have same issue.
    Keep up the good work

  5. #5
    houmd's Avatar
    houmd is offline Elite Member 7229 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,510
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mgdoc1 View Post
    Dear Pnkhla: Thanks for your effort to reply.
    This is a request to all who read this thread to inquire and use your resorces to get the final conclusion. Ask faculty, request Dean to get information.
    If some knows for real that after working as an MD for few years in other states, one can work in CA. If some one has an article, please be specific and give information about that publication and referance where to find it.
    This will be great help to hunderds of student who have same issue.
    Keep up the good work

    Look up the california medical boards terms for reciprocity, I have never heard of what Pnakhla mentioned and don't really have the time to sit through all that legal jargon, or you can call/email them yourself and post their response up one here for clarity.

    I'm not worried about Cali to be honest. I am wanting NY and will do whatever I can to improve the structure of the school to promote a NY approval, you can see what I'm referring to in This Thread.

    As for AUA, they are credible school and they are known for having produced hundreds of competent physicians that are practicing in a wide variety of areas and genuinely try to do anything they can for the students (suing arkansas, NY, etc). If they get Cali approval soon then that is an amazing thing and everyone will be very proud of them. I personally hope they get Cali approval. Unfortunately the downside to AUA in my eyes which allows this kind of thing to happen is that it pump LOTS and LOTS of money into these things to promote their school etc, and where do you think all that money comes from? It comes from their insanely high tuition costs. Windsor operates on a low cost system where students aren't paying >$11,000 per semester in tuition alone. I honestly like the low cost system but I see where it can be improved for little or no addition on part of the students, which is what I'm going to be pushing for in the upcoming semester.

  6. #6
    Mtawfik is offline Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    300
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by houmd View Post
    Look up the california medical boards terms for reciprocity, I have never heard of what Pnakhla mentioned and don't really have the time to sit through all that legal jargon, or you can call/email them yourself and post their response up one here for clarity.

    I'm not worried about Cali to be honest. I am wanting NY and will do whatever I can to improve the structure of the school to promote a NY approval, you can see what I'm referring to in This Thread.

    As for AUA, they are credible school and they are known for having produced hundreds of competent physicians that are practicing in a wide variety of areas and genuinely try to do anything they can for the students (suing arkansas, NY, etc). If they get Cali approval soon then that is an amazing thing and everyone will be very proud of them. I personally hope they get Cali approval. Unfortunately the downside to AUA in my eyes which allows this kind of thing to happen is that it pump LOTS and LOTS of money into these things to promote their school etc, and where do you think all that money comes from? It comes from their insanely high tuition costs. Windsor operates on a low cost system where students aren't paying >$11,000 per semester in tuition alone. I honestly like the low cost system but I see where it can be improved for little or no addition on part of the students, which is what I'm going to be pushing for in the upcoming semester.

    Its true. California is one of the few states that do not grant you a license, even after being licensed in another state, and working in the US for years.

    Hopefully in the future this will change, but as of now, this is not the case.

  7. #7
    Sharpy is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It will come in time. Either way, after you finish your training in the states, you can work wherever you want.

    Just build up the University while you are here.

  8. #8
    houmd's Avatar
    houmd is offline Elite Member 7229 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,510
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpy View Post
    It will come in time. Either way, after you finish your training in the states, you can work wherever you want.

    Just build up the University while you are here.

    Read one post above you for clarification, TN is another one that wont grant you a permanent license regardless of board certification

  9. #9
    Sharpy is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    62
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am sure if the school get's its act together, it will progress.
    houndMD, WHERE can the school be improved?

  10. #10
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12695 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,143
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpy View Post
    It will come in time. Either way, after you finish your training in the states, you can work wherever you want.

    Just build up the University while you are here.
    No, you absolutely cannot work wherever you want. This is a huge deal, and it is important to understand it fully. Even if you finish your training elsewhere in the States, you cannot work in California if any of your medical school coursework was taken at a school that is not California approved. That means that a Windsor grad cannot work in California (unless s/he is working for a federal agency or the military, under a license from another state... but s/he is still not licensed in California).

    This information is straight from Miss P** P*** at the CMB.

    Whether Windsor receives CMB approval in the future, or not, unless they are granted a grandfather clause for previous graduates, no-one who studies there currently will be able to work or train in California.

    (This is the case at my program, as well, so it's not like I'm blindly casting aspersions. These are the facts according to the CMB. Please take note of them, so as not to mislead others -- intentionally or unintentionally.)

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


Similar Threads

  1. Will Cali visit MUA this year?
    By NelumG in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 08-19-2011, 10:10 PM
  2. Cali Visit
    By siheg in forum Trinity School of Medicine (TSOM)
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-09-2009, 05:13 AM
  3. i'm from cali, want to do all rotations in cali
    By levator palpebrae in forum SGU Medical School Clinicals
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-27-2008, 09:57 PM
  4. Smu will get Cali very soon....here is why
    By tremble3322 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 79
    Last Post: 04-08-2007, 07:15 PM
  5. how many times did you visit/ did you visit before applying?
    By andrea in forum Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara (UAG)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 12:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •