Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 55

Thread: HCP program

  1. #1
    pac2md's Avatar
    pac2md is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    HCP program

    Advertisements



    there seems to be alot of people with questions concerning the Mentors in Medicine program offered at Windsor University School of Medicine.
    The web site for this program does not explain all entailed as well as it could and Dr. Halpin, although i believe a nice guy, doesn't give the information detailed enough to alleviate the concerns that most of us have when we are trying to decide on the best course for our careers.
    i will try to expand upon this subject; first the school is a vehicle to get you where you want to take your career. there is no real library or student union. low frills for you there.
    second at the beginning of each semester, for new students, it seems to be a cluster, please refer to the other forums on new students for guidance there. my own experience is that no one knew about me, lack of communication between Dr. Halpin and the University staff, but i was taken care of promptly and am happy with my housing.
    next you can either do your six weeks didactic or 12 weeks so flexibility is offered and the administrative staff is very supportive.
    finally, the teaching staff is excellent and want the students to do well and personally i cannot think of a higher recommendation or reflection on a school than the staff that teaches there.
    i know that I have probably failed to answer all of the questions people have regarding this program, if there are other concerns, please feel free to contact me.
    there are also other threads within this forum that are both enlightening and informative so one should visit those.
    Oh yeah and if anyone knows how i can put a picture next to my name let me know...can't seem to get it, thank god you don't have to be a IT guy for medicine or I'd be pounding nails.

  2. #2
    footdoc is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    134
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    HCP program

    I have e-mailed the mentors in medicine program with some questions but they never returned my e-mails.
    Why are there no loans for this program?
    Have there been any licensed graduates?
    What exactly does Mentors in Medicine do for their money?

  3. #3
    MDXRS22's Avatar
    MDXRS22 is offline Ultimate Member 515 points
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,745
    Downloads
    33
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by pac2md View Post
    there seems to be alot of people with questions concerning the Mentors in Medicine program offered at Windsor University School of Medicine.
    The web site for this program does not explain all entailed as well as it could and Dr. Halpin, although i believe a nice guy, doesn't give the information detailed enough to alleviate the concerns that most of us have when we are trying to decide on the best course for our careers.
    i will try to expand upon this subject; first the school is a vehicle to get you where you want to take your career. there is no real library or student union. low frills for you there.
    second at the beginning of each semester, for new students, it seems to be a cluster, please refer to the other forums on new students for guidance there. my own experience is that no one knew about me, lack of communication between Dr. Halpin and the University staff, but i was taken care of promptly and am happy with my housing.
    next you can either do your six weeks didactic or 12 weeks so flexibility is offered and the administrative staff is very supportive.
    finally, the teaching staff is excellent and want the students to do well and personally i cannot think of a higher recommendation or reflection on a school than the staff that teaches there.
    i know that I have probably failed to answer all of the questions people have regarding this program, if there are other concerns, please feel free to contact me.
    there are also other threads within this forum that are both enlightening and informative so one should visit those.
    Oh yeah and if anyone knows how i can put a picture next to my name let me know...can't seem to get it, thank god you don't have to be a IT guy for medicine or I'd be pounding nails.

    To add the picture:
    Log on or go to the main page
    1) Click on USER CP
    2) Edit Avatar
    3) Browse and upload your picture from where you hide/save it. No porn.
    4) Read the size restriction for your picture, if too big, you will need to resize it.
    5) Submit by clicking OK. That's it, doc!
    I need to think about something...maybe you know what...

  4. #4
    MD04 is offline Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    343
    Downloads
    19
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Do not investe your time and money on HCP

    Quote Originally Posted by pac2md View Post
    there seems to be alot of people with questions concerning the Mentors in Medicine program offered at Windsor University School of Medicine.
    The web site for this program does not explain all entailed as well as it could and Dr. Halpin, although i believe a nice guy, doesn't give the information detailed enough to alleviate the concerns that most of us have when we are trying to decide on the best course for our careers.
    i will try to expand upon this subject; first the school is a vehicle to get you where you want to take your career. there is no real library or student union. low frills for you there.
    second at the beginning of each semester, for new students, it seems to be a cluster, please refer to the other forums on new students for guidance there. my own experience is that no one knew about me, lack of communication between Dr. Halpin and the University staff, but i was taken care of promptly and am happy with my housing.
    next you can either do your six weeks didactic or 12 weeks so flexibility is offered and the administrative staff is very supportive.
    finally, the teaching staff is excellent and want the students to do well and personally i cannot think of a higher recommendation or reflection on a school than the staff that teaches there.
    i know that I have probably failed to answer all of the questions people have regarding this program, if there are other concerns, please feel free to contact me.
    there are also other threads within this forum that are both enlightening and informative so one should visit those.
    Oh yeah and if anyone knows how i can put a picture next to my name let me know...can't seem to get it, thank god you don't have to be a IT guy for medicine or I'd be pounding nails.
    My advice for you. do a regular MD program with any med sch. It does not have to be w/ Windsor.
    There is no SHORT CUT TO MD.

  5. #5
    pac2md's Avatar
    pac2md is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    HCP program

    first I'd like to address the comment made by MD04.
    the mentors in medicine is for people who are already professionals in the medical fields. the time it takes to complete this program is actually longer, if completely with the way it is set up, than "regular" mediccal schools. you can choose to attend the same amount of time as the other students or the prolonged time that allows one to continue working in his field...either way it is not "a short cut". please get your facts straight and not make statements out of ignorance. In the profession you have chosen, ignorance kills. I myself am a Physician assistant-Certified, which is a masters degree and have a bachelor's in biological sciences from Colorado state university. before i put a penny towards this program i contacted the licensing boards in the states i want to practice and checked the legitimacy of this program and school, i have friends who sit on the board so it wasn't hard. i received a thumbs up from both states.
    if you had any idea as to the didactic and clinical training involved with becoming a Physician Assistant, and I am assuming, nurse practioner, chiropractor, podiatrist you would probably concern yourself with issues relevant to you expertise. one last statement for you to think about is if you are a medical student and say you are enrolled at harvard. can you take a semester sabbatical then resume studies? yes you can but the paper work is horrendous and the final decision to readmit is up to the administration. so nothing is guaranteed, the HCP program is.

    now i would like to address the issues that footdoc has:
    1- windsor university does not offer any type of school loans, and you are a student at windsor university, there are payment plans available and if you so chose entering the school as a regular student the cost is less. I would suggest going to the Windsor University Medical Schools web site for more information.
    2- yes there have been. i have found a couple and will ask, for their privacy, if they would contact you.
    3- Mentors in Medicine, AKA Dr. Halpin, is a recruiter. I continue to hope he will offer some sort of mentoring as I come upon road bumps, but this is doubtful. what mentor in medicine does for its money is recruit. but the program offers flexibility of schedule within a medical school that other students do not have. also the staff at Windsor are extremely helpful and available for any student, as well as the president of the university
    I hope this is helpful, if you need more please feel free to contact me.

  6. #6
    pac2md's Avatar
    pac2md is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thanks

    Hey MDXRS22, thanks life goes so much smoother with help from others

  7. #7
    MDXRS22's Avatar
    MDXRS22 is offline Ultimate Member 515 points
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    5,745
    Downloads
    33
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All the joy

    This is what makes us stronger and better.
    I am so thankful for so much help I got in here, too.
    I need to think about something...maybe you know what...

  8. #8
    MD04 is offline Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    343
    Downloads
    19
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Listen Dear pac2md;

    Quote Originally Posted by pac2md View Post
    Hey MDXRS22, thanks life goes so much smoother with help from others
    I'm not discouraging your ambition at all. I had people in my class with Pharm D and MS in Nursing and The UNIBE refused to give them a single credit. For myself, I had master's level education combine with biochem & clinical biochem and 3 year research in pharmacology. I never got any credits.
    What I know; The program has to be Min 32 months in Medical school in order to aviod any trobule in the future and any transfer credits must be from the faculty of medicine not from other faculties.

    Windsor is not very uptodate with their legal and licencing issues.
    I feel you have done a great job of investigating prior to entroll the HCP program.
    Good luck with your program.

  9. #9
    MDIN2009's Avatar
    MDIN2009 is offline Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Any where they let me...
    Posts
    2,067
    Downloads
    14
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Images
    14
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    MDO4,

    What are you talking about? What facts do you have for making this statement?

    Windsor students do:

    5 semesters Basic sciences = 5 x 4 = 20
    2 years Clinical s = 24

    Total 44 months

    The total is the same for SABA, MUA, AUA, SMU...ect

    The only difference for HCP is that they do half semesters for 10 semesters. Which adds up in the end to 5 semesters of Basic sciences. And their clinical time is the same as the regular students.

    And as far as UNIBE goes we have 5-6 students that transfer into basic sciences and mainly our U.S. clinical rotations .


    By reading your other posts it sounds like you don't even go to med school currently. Are you just bored sitting in the cold north?

    P.S. You should check the spelling of licencing it's really spelled licensing.



    Quote Originally Posted by MD04 View Post
    I'm not discouraging your ambition at all. I had people in my class with Pharm D and MS in Nursing and The UNIBE refused to give them a single credit. For myself, I had master's level education combine with biochem & clinical biochem and 3 year research in pharmacology. I never got any credits.
    What I know; The program has to be Min 32 months in Medical school in order to aviod any trobule in the future and any transfer credits must be from the faculty of medicine not from other faculties.

    Windsor is not very uptodate with their legal and licencing issues.

    I feel you have done a great job of investigating prior to entroll the HCP program.
    Good luck with your program.
    Last edited by MDIN2009; 06-24-2007 at 03:09 PM.
    Moderator WUSOM

    A. Please read the "stickies" before asking a question.
    B. Remember the Hidden Content



  10. #10
    MD04 is offline Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    343
    Downloads
    19
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MDIN2009 View Post
    MDO4,

    What are you talking about? What facts do you have for making this statement?

    Windsor students do:

    5 semesters Basic sciences = 5 x 4 = 20
    2 years Clinical s = 24

    Total 44 months

    The total is the same for SABA, MUA, AUA, SMU...ect

    The only difference for HCP is that they do half semesters for 10 semesters. Which adds up in the end to 5 semesters of Basic sciences. And their clinical time is the same as the regular students.

    And as far as UNIBE goes we have 5-6 students that transfer into basic sciences and mainly our U.S. clinical rotations .


    By reading your other posts it sounds like you don't even go to med school currently. Are you just bored sitting in the cold north?

    P.S. You should check the spelling of licencing it's really spelled licensing.
    I do not recheck; That's habit.

    You have no idea about clinical at all. Are you still in high school or premed program?.

    You do not do 2 year clinical rotation. Only 72 - 80 wks , It will add upto 1 year and 4-5 months (16 mos).
    16 + 16 = 32 mos but i do not know anything about windsor 5th semester. I do not think medical board count that as another full semester since it's main focus to prepare the students for step 1.
    5th semester in other schools is completely different from Windsor.
    Last edited by MD04; 06-24-2007 at 03:28 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Transfer from Polish American Program To Israeli American Program
    By JoeBoogie in forum Israeli Medical Schools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-12-2012, 03:40 AM
  2. Matched for Advanced Program but NOT for Prelim Program
    By pslupi in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-16-2011, 01:51 PM
  3. Transfer from DC program to MD program
    By apaajalah in forum Chiropractic Schools
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 03-31-2009, 02:55 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-16-2003, 11:54 AM
  5. Canadian IMG Program - Community Development Officer Program
    By mtt in forum St. Christophers College of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-22-2003, 12:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •