Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: ATTN: UMHS Admin

  1. #1
    Paan is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ATTN: UMHS Admin

    Advertisements



    Just wondering if anything is going to be done about the prof teaching Path 2?

    For those students considering coming to UMHS it is important that you know how this prof conducts himself in class and how he introduces ambiguity when he asks questions so as to confuse students as opposed to teaching them board relevant material in preparation for Step 1.

    Here is a recent example:

    Prof: "What is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in your part of the world?"

    Students: "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis"

    Prof: "NO! The most common cause of hypothyroidism in your part of the world is thyroidectomy for treatment of hyperthyroidism".

    Then when we scroll through the slides: The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

    The administration does not review the end of semester professor evaluations that students fill out on survey monkey and in turn does not have meaningful discussions with professors about their methods of teaching, testing or interacting with students.

    This same prof opts not to meet with students to review their block exams so that they can learn from their mistakes. Instead he shows up to teach his 2.5 hr lecture and goes home promptly thereafter.

    He has had problems with the administration of another Caribbean school (one of the Big 4) and was let go mid-semester.

    Until potential students hear of improvements regarding UMHS it's best to take a pass on this school.

    You're welcome.

  2. #2
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 7201 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Sounds horrible. I was wondering, why don't you take this with your SGA. ValueMD is a dying forum, so I doubt people even read it anymore.

  3. #3
    Paan is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleave View Post
    Sounds horrible. I was wondering, why don't you take this with your SGA. ValueMD is a dying forum, so I doubt people even read it anymore.
    I know, it's awful. SGA is aware and are trying to work with admin and faculty on this problem. This forum is fading fast but at the same time it's important for prospective students to know what's going on. A physio prof was fired earlier this semester, he happens to be a friend of the president of UMHS so our dean caught some heat for letting him go. It's important for people to know that sometimes the admin down here on the island has its hands tied when it comes to certain circumstances and that we leadership from NY to step in and intervene.

  4. #4
    Paan is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    *Need leadership in NY to intervene.

  5. #5
    nearlythereMD is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    64
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This would not be the proper forum to discuss difficulties with that course professor. It would be best to take it up with the SGA, and hopefully they are proactive enough to continue to push the issue with the administration to make improvements. I would, however, have to disagree with having to pass on UMHS based on that fact because the pathology 2 professor does an outstanding job educating students. Although he might have an interesting teaching style, I do feel many of his students benefit from what he has to teach. I believe there is only one physio professor at the moment on the island, and he has not been fired. I am not too far removed from basic sciences, but correct me if I am wrong about the physio professor. The current one, Dr. N, does an oustanding job and, again, many students including myself, have him to thank for a great physiology backgroudn. Having taken the course as well, I can empathize with you. Sorry to hear about your troubles.

  6. #6
    Paan is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nearlythereMD View Post
    This would not be the proper forum to discuss difficulties with that course professor. It would be best to take it up with the SGA, and hopefully they are proactive enough to continue to push the issue with the administration to make improvements. I would, however, have to disagree with having to pass on UMHS based on that fact because the pathology 2 professor does an outstanding job educating students. Although he might have an interesting teaching style, I do feel many of his students benefit from what he has to teach. I believe there is only one physio professor at the moment on the island, and he has not been fired. I am not too far removed from basic sciences, but correct me if I am wrong about the physio professor. The current one, Dr. N, does an oustanding job and, again, many students including myself, have him to thank for a great physiology backgroudn. Having taken the course as well, I can empathize with you. Sorry to hear about your troubles.
    Dr. N is a stud, its not him. This was a new prof that advised students to watch Khan Academy videos on youtube to learn the material. As a result Dr. N had to re-teach the material to the students.

    I'm not sure I would go so far as calling the Path 2 prof as doing an outstanding job teaching the material. He regurgitates Goljan and Pathoma, which is appreciated, but his method of testing is not in keeping with USMLE style questions despite his recommendation to students to do USMLE practice questions.

    Hope all is well with you in the U.S.

  7. #7
    Paan is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Status update: It has been confirmed that this path 2 prof has been administering Step 2 CK questions to basic science students who are supposed to be preparing for Step 1. This was confirmed when the path 1 prof reviewed the most recent exam and reported "This is not a path exam, these questions are Step 2 CK questions".

    How does this path 2 prof still have a job at UMHS?

  8. #8
    packers is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    California
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paan View Post
    Just wondering if anything is going to be done about the prof teaching Path 2?

    For those students considering coming to UMHS it is important that you know how this prof conducts himself in class and how he introduces ambiguity when he asks questions so as to confuse students as opposed to teaching them board relevant material in preparation for Step 1.

    Here is a recent example:

    Prof: "What is the most common cause of hypothyroidism in your part of the world?"

    Students: "Hashimoto's Thyroiditis"

    Prof: "NO! The most common cause of hypothyroidism in your part of the world is thyroidectomy for treatment of hyperthyroidism".

    Then when we scroll through the slides: The most common cause of hypothyroidism is Hashimoto's thyroiditis.

    The administration does not review the end of semester professor evaluations that students fill out on survey monkey and in turn does not have meaningful discussions with professors about their methods of teaching, testing or interacting with students.

    This same prof opts not to meet with students to review their block exams so that they can learn from their mistakes. Instead he shows up to teach his 2.5 hr lecture and goes home promptly thereafter.

    He has had problems with the administration of another Caribbean school (one of the Big 4) and was let go mid-semester.

    Until potential students hear of improvements regarding UMHS it's best to take a pass on this school.

    You're welcome.
    Clearly your one of those students that loves to complain about everything, and probably have retook many classes. Why are you trying to make the school look bad? It seems to me the people having trouble are the students that have retook classes a few times. The Path 2 professor is a excellent professor, he really takes pride in teaching path 2, previous students that are in clinical right now said that he prepared them for step 1 very well by tying everything together. Yes he doesnt make his test easy because he is trying to challenge you. If he makes it easy and just passes you without working hard, then he is not doing you a favor. You have to work hard at it. Medicine is not a easy field. Everyone don't listen to this person, there are many people that succeed in the school and do very well you just have to work hard and you will be ok.
    Last edited by packers; 11-04-2015 at 02:23 PM.

  9. #9
    Paan is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packers View Post
    Clearly your one of those students that loves to complain about everything, and probably have retook many classes. Why are you trying to make the school look bad? It seems to me the people having trouble are the students that have retook classes a few times. The Path 2 professor is a excellent professor, he really takes pride in teaching path 2, previous students that are in clinical right now said that he prepared them for step 1 very well by tying everything together. Yes he doesnt make his test easy because he is trying to challenge you. If he makes it easy and just passes you without working hard, then he is not doing you a favor. You have to work hard at it. Medicine is not a easy field. Everyone don't listen to this person, there are many people that succeed in the school and do very well you just have to work hard and you will be ok.
    Yes clearly I am a complainer who has repeated every class five times and clearly you are a 4.0 student and a mental giant who will most likely match neurosurgery at Johns Hopkins.

    Comparing previous semester students' experiences to what is happening this semester does not strengthen your argument. I am stating facts, while you are taking the immature approach of trying to discredit me. If you don't believe what you're reading on this thread, then by all means send the Path 1 prof an e-mail and ask him yourself. The bottom line is I am saving potential students the aggravation of having to deal with incompetent professors with chips on their shoulders, where you on the other hand would prefer to keep the school's deficiencies a secret rather than demand that the quality of professors improves and that the intent to see students succeed increases.

    Speaking of medicine, it's actually not a difficult field. What makes studying medicine challenging is the sheer volume of information one must learn in a short period of time, but still it's not that bad. What is unacceptable though is studying information presented in class and following the recommendations of your professor to do practice questions from recommended question banks only to get blindsided on exams and then not have the ability to review your exam results because it is not part of a professor's teaching policy.

    I don't know what's more asinine, your feeble attempt at defending this professor or your stance of attacking the credibility of students who are brave enough to speak out against the unprofessional and illegitimate practices of certain professors in an attempt to elevate the standard of teaching and preparing students for Step 1.

  10. #10
    Paan is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Ypsilanti
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packers View Post
    Clearly your one of those students that loves to complain about everything, and probably have retook many classes. Why are you trying to make the school look bad? It seems to me the people having trouble are the students that have retook classes a few times. The Path 2 professor is a excellent professor, he really takes pride in teaching path 2, previous students that are in clinical right now said that he prepared them for step 1 very well by tying everything together. Yes he doesnt make his test easy because he is trying to challenge you. If he makes it easy and just passes you without working hard, then he is not doing you a favor. You have to work hard at it. Medicine is not a easy field. Everyone don't listen to this person, there are many people that succeed in the school and do very well you just have to work hard and you will be ok.
    Re-reading your post, you don't sound like a student at all. Do you work at the NY office?

    P.S. Your grammar is atrocious.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. UMHS Students Cheated by Admin!!!
    By umhssk in forum University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 04-17-2009, 01:59 PM
  2. admin.
    By kidcohen in forum St. James Medical School
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-28-2004, 08:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •