Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Transfer to UMHS from AUA

  1. #1
    JE355804 is offline Junior Member 520 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    55
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Transfer to UMHS from AUA

    Advertisements



    Hello everyone... To tell my story quickly, I am a student at AUA who was just accepted to UMHS as a transfer student into 5th semester. I recently (well actually not so recently, NOV 4th 2011) took step 1 and passed with above 225.

    I am transferring because of the clinical rotation department at AUA, it's a mess... and what's more, the staff at AUA takes an approach that "the student is the enemy" whenever you call in and try to accomplish anything. It's just a situation I needed to get out of.

    I am hoping someone could tell me anything they know about the rotations in Atlanta, because after discussion with the staff it seems likely I may end up here. Also, are there any other rotation sites which may be better than Atlanta?

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    NelumG is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    90
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by JE355804 View Post
    Hello everyone... To tell my story quickly, I am a student at AUA who was just accepted to UMHS as a transfer student into 5th semester. I recently (well actually not so recently, NOV 4th 2011) took step 1 and passed with above 225.

    I am transferring because of the clinical rotation department at AUA, it's a mess... and what's more, the staff at AUA takes an approach that "the student is the enemy" whenever you call in and try to accomplish anything. It's just a situation I needed to get out of.

    I am hoping someone could tell me anything they know about the rotations in Atlanta, because after discussion with the staff it seems likely I may end up here. Also, are there any other rotation sites which may be better than Atlanta?

    Thanks for your help!
    Why are you thinking of transferring from AUA to UMHS? Do you really think you will get better cliniicals ? Have you given a thought of how many residency interviews you will get with your application stating that you transferred from a " 1st tier Carri bean school " ( Because its got Cali Approval) to a 3rd tier school ? You really are naive if you think that such a transfer is going to be good with your future. Stick on with AUA or else try to get a transfer to a better school . You would delay only a few months and its worth the wait.

  3. #3
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11644 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,099
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    and doesn't AUA have cali approval now? sorry, but that is the silliest decision to transfer from a cali approved program to a non cali one...and yes, you would have to explain why you transferred to a lower tiered school ( transfer up not down are at least explainable)...
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  4. #4
    cardiomegaly is offline Senior Member 547 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Closer to east coast then the west coast
    Posts
    583
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Dont do it. AUA has financial aid and CAli approval. You can find more residencies when a school has Cali approval. There are states & programs that follow the Cali approved list. I know people at AUA you are rotating back 2 back. Then there were some that had some spaces in between. Also, based on the website at UMHS they dont have sufficient fin aid for US students.

    PS: I dont even like AUA but I still think you should chose them.
    Medicine is my lifeHidden Content . Step 1 [Hidden Content ] Step 2 CK [Hidden Content ] Step 2 CS [Hidden Content

  5. #5
    LBfromtheDALE's Avatar
    LBfromtheDALE is offline Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Land of O U.S.(S.R.) / Land of Kittitians, Goats, & Bright Eyed Medical Students
    Posts
    135
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JE355804 View Post
    Hello everyone... To tell my story quickly, I am a student at AUA who was just accepted to UMHS as a transfer student into 5th semester. I recently (well actually not so recently, NOV 4th 2011) took step 1 and passed with above 225.

    I am transferring because of the clinical rotation department at AUA, it's a mess... and what's more, the staff at AUA takes an approach that "the student is the enemy" whenever you call in and try to accomplish anything. It's just a situation I needed to get out of.

    I am hoping someone could tell me anything they know about the rotations in Atlanta, because after discussion with the staff it seems likely I may end up here. Also, are there any other rotation sites which may be better than Atlanta?

    Thanks for your help!
    (Mostly) Ditto to the above. Avoid red flags. Since you are obviously paying out of pocket due to having been generously granted a loan from the Bank of Mommy & Daddy, or are utilizing funds earned through your own merit the wisest investment would be to stick with AUA (albeit $$$$ greedy). To hell with Granola State approval. Transferring at all doesn't come across well during interviews (NOT something that an applicant can afford nowadays).

    That being said, I wouldn't be surprised if one day UMHS became the "Big 6th" (la-dee-freakin-da...) program in the Caribbean. Ironically, once that time comes there will no longer be any use for USIMGs/FMGs. Good luck whatever you decide!

    Quote Originally Posted by NelumG View Post
    Why are you thinking of transferring from AUA to UMHS? Do you really think you will get better cliniicals ? Have you given a thought of how many residency interviews you will get with your application stating that you transferred from a " 1st tier Carri bean school " ( Because its got Cali Approval) to a 3rd tier school ? You really are naive if you think that such a transfer is going to be good with your future. Stick on with AUA or else try to get a transfer to a better school . You would delay only a few months and its worth the wait.
    I am royally sick of this "first tier vs. second tier vs. third tier" etc. etc. discussion. It's the CARIBBEAN! It's like arguing over the prestige of community colleges. You need to go back and visit your alma mater and watch some mentally deficient freshman sorority chicks mud wrestle over a plastic trophy only to realize that you're not at Harvard SOM...freaking ridiculous.

    Quote Originally Posted by rokshana View Post
    and doesn't AUA have cali approval now? sorry, but that is the silliest decision to transfer from a cali approved program to a non cali one...and yes, you would have to explain why you transferred to a lower tiered school ( transfer up not down are at least explainable)...
    Agreed Rok...however, to hell with them California hippies & the states that blindly follow them!!!
    Rok, YOU'VE been outta the game too long when you comment on "transferring up!" I know for a fact (I've checked...multiple times) that the Big4 will not accept students into 5th semester/rotations from UMHS/most other schools (even those who have bested their USMLE requirements with flying colors). I wouldn't be surprised if AUA students aren't allowed to "transfer up" too.

    Quote Originally Posted by cardiomegaly View Post
    Dont do it. AUA has financial aid and CAli approval. You can find more residencies when a school has Cali approval. There are states & programs that follow the Cali approved list. I know people at AUA you are rotating back 2 back. Then there were some that had some spaces in between. Also, based on the website at UMHS they dont have sufficient fin aid for US students.

    PS: I dont even like AUA but I still think you should chose them.
    Correction: You can APPLY for more residencies, but there's no guarantee that you'll be able to interview/get them (unless finding is applying and if that's your argument we're just going to continue to argue and dance in circles like Justin Beiber on Ritalin). I accept your point though. However, AUA's BLM loans are borderline loan shark at best. Hell, AUA told me that I could transfer from UMHS to AUA, but I'm not willing to even attempt that due to the very, very, very, very^100000000 shady stipulations regarding BLM loans. It'd be wiser to become a street walker...a safer, more lucrative vocation that is worth considering before attending a Caribbean medical school .
    NWS likes this.

  6. #6
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11644 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,099
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    when i said up in regards to transferring i meant to a US MD program...i certainly did not mean transferring within the caribbean ...transferring form a non cali school to a cali school doesn't make a difference since cali requires ALL coursework to be done at a cali approved school.

    i may be out for a while, but it doesn't mean i don't keep up with things (and that i don't keep my finger in the pie...sometimes you know more as an alumna than as a student).
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  7. #7
    NWS's Avatar
    NWS
    NWS is offline Senior Member 659 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    I go with the wind
    Posts
    913
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree with everyone else, it makes no sense at all to transfer from AUA to UMHS. The loan shark description of AUA loans is right on the mark, they extort money from their students in the worst way. However, I'd still stick with them over UMHS because of the California approval and that alone.
    Step 1 [X] Step 2 CK [X] Step 2 CS [X] Step 3[IP]
    Core Rotations: [X] Done
    Electives: [X] Done

  8. #8
    JE355804 is offline Junior Member 520 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    55
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, against all of your best advice I have indeed transferred. I'm sure it's easy for all of you to advise one to not transfer, having not attended AUA and seen the situation with their clinical program... I however have. It's a mess over there.

    During my 1st week of 5th semester at UMHS I've already realized what a blessing transferring is/was. The faculty at UMHS is INFINITELY more organized than those at AUA were. And while I'm sure that I may have some explaining to do regarding my transfer, I have no doubts that those issues will be clearly explained in my personal letter as well as in person at the interview. Finally, having got a "decent" step 1 score and wholeheartedly believing that I am going to get over a 235 on step 2, I am confident that I will be able to secure a residency. I am not picky as to where I will have to live, etc etc.

    Finally, let me just say... I'd rather deal with explaining a transfer from a 1st tier to 3rd tier (give-me-a-break, do you really believe that???) than deal with being sent to a clinical rotation site in another state only to be told to go home the day my rotation was to start in the hospital because they overbooked (yes this really happened.)

  9. #9
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 7201 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JE355804 View Post
    Well, against all of your best advice I have indeed transferred. I'm sure it's easy for all of you to advise one to not transfer, having not attended AUA and seen the situation with their clinical program... I however have. It's a mess over there.

    During my 1st week of 5th semester at UMHS I've already realized what a blessing transferring is/was. The faculty at UMHS is INFINITELY more organized than those at AUA were. And while I'm sure that I may have some explaining to do regarding my transfer, I have no doubts that those issues will be clearly explained in my personal letter as well as in person at the interview. Finally, having got a "decent" step 1 score and wholeheartedly believing that I am going to get over a 235 on step 2, I am confident that I will be able to secure a residency. I am not picky as to where I will have to live, etc etc.

    Finally, let me just say... I'd rather deal with explaining a transfer from a 1st tier to 3rd tier (give-me-a-break, do you really believe that???) than deal with being sent to a clinical rotation site in another state only to be told to go home the day my rotation was to start in the hospital because they overbooked (yes this really happened.)
    If your happy, then that's all that matters then. We don't live your life, you live your own.

  10. #10
    cardiomegaly is offline Senior Member 547 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Closer to east coast then the west coast
    Posts
    583
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JE355804 View Post
    Well, against all of your best advice I have indeed transferred. I'm sure it's easy for all of you to advise one to not transfer, having not attended AUA and seen the situation with their clinical program... I however have. It's a mess over there.

    During my 1st week of 5th semester at UMHS I've already realized what a blessing transferring is/was. The faculty at UMHS is INFINITELY more organized than those at AUA were. And while I'm sure that I may have some explaining to do regarding my transfer, I have no doubts that those issues will be clearly explained in my personal letter as well as in person at the interview. Finally, having got a "decent" step 1 score and wholeheartedly believing that I am going to get over a 235 on step 2, I am confident that I will be able to secure a residency. I am not picky as to where I will have to live, etc etc.

    Finally, let me just say... I'd rather deal with explaining a transfer from a 1st tier to 3rd tier (give-me-a-break, do you really believe that???) than deal with being sent to a clinical rotation site in another state only to be told to go home the day my rotation was to start in the hospital because they overbooked (yes this really happened.)
    Thxleave is right. If you are happy where you are that is all that matters. Good luck. I hope you get a 235 or higher on step 2
    JE355804 likes this.
    Medicine is my lifeHidden Content . Step 1 [Hidden Content ] Step 2 CK [Hidden Content ] Step 2 CS [Hidden Content

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. transfer to umhs or windsor?
    By Kipling86 in forum University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 10-08-2011, 04:03 PM
  2. transfer to windsor or umhs?
    By Kipling86 in forum Windsor University School of Medicine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 05-11-2011, 10:12 PM
  3. Transfer to UMHS after Step 1
    By BetterAtGolf in forum University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-25-2010, 02:35 PM
  4. Should I transfer to UMHS?
    By jdscrubs in forum University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-01-2010, 06:16 PM
  5. AUA transfer to UMHS?
    By newbie_aua in forum University of Medicine and Health Sciences (UMHS)
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-01-2010, 09:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •