Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 65
  1. #1
    acgtacgtacgt's Avatar
    acgtacgtacgt is offline Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Posts
    5,584
    Downloads
    56
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Is The UAG Dead?

    Advertisements



    My reason for writing this thread is so that new and prospective students can get an objective view of the school in spite of all the negative here lately.

    While the UAG may appear dead from its lack of a pulse (reponse from the school), classes and all are going normally (normal for the UAG, not "normal" in the dictionary meaning).

    Students are leaving for other schools, and many more are applying to leave, or just to have a back-up plan if needed. I, too, agree that there is no one to blame for this except the school itself. When it comes to the administration, the school seems to have suicidal tendencies, and is not shy about alienating or pissing off [current] students. At the very least, a simple, "Our lawers advised us not to say anything." statement would at least remind us that they still realize we are here. To say that I dissagree with their policies and communication with the students, is an understatement.

    However, I have not transferred, applied, nor looked at other schools. Not because I am loyal to the UAG (I am not any more loyal to them than they would be to me), or because I love the school, but because of the overall opportunity and experience of being here.

    A medical adviser in undergrad was trying to get me interested in an in-state medical school when I first talked with her. This was a good medical school (much more organized than the UAG), but was in the middle of nowhere. She did not like my reply that I agreed it was a good schhol, but that I would also have to live there for four years.

    Some students feel the same way about Mexico. They only came for the school, and really hate Mexico. This is sad, because it is the school's location and government (Mexican government) that gives us, as students, so much opportunity here.

    When I have more time, I will write about my clinical time here. Some was better than others. However, the good overcompensated for all the bad. What I have seen and done is priceless, and I do not have time at the momente to give all the details. However, I did want to link to a few old posts I write about a year ago. These are for prospective students such as "golakers" and others.

    http://www.valuemd.com/universidad-a...al-school.html

    http://www.valuemd.com/universidad-a...hy-go-uag.html
    "You do not truly understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein

  2. #2
    kasha is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    269
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ross

    if u or any other student does decide to transfer, let me not recomment Ross. IN the past, those UAG students who transfered, would skip the island and go into clinicals with no prob, however, now ross is begining to have clinical issues bc their class size has become so big, they do have all 50 states, but they also have on average of 400 students a semester. I would go with one of the smaller schools, like ST eus

  3. #3
    acgtacgtacgt's Avatar
    acgtacgtacgt is offline Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Posts
    5,584
    Downloads
    56
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Actually, I was thinking it is better not to transfer like a pansy bending in the fart-winds of the AMA.


    Quote Originally Posted by kasha View Post
    if u or any other student does decide to transfer, let me not recomment Ross. IN the past, those UAG students who transfered, would skip the island and go into clinicals with no prob, however, now ross is begining to have clinical issues bc their class size has become so big, they do have all 50 states, but they also have on average of 400 students a semester. I would go with one of the smaller schools, like ST eus
    "You do not truly understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein

  4. #4
    dc99 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    45
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by acgtacgtacgt View Post
    Actually, I was thinking it is better not to transfer like a pansy bending in the fart-winds of the AMA.

    I don't agree. Whether or not you transfer out doesn't mean one is a pansy or not. Just ask current residents in the U.S. who transferred out of UAG and went to Ross/AUC/other schools. Its about individual needs and deciding what is best for yourself. Although I do agree that carib schools are accepting way too many students and there are hardly any spots open.

    If you don't like the current situation down here:

    stay: you won't be alone. the school, students, and alumni, are working to fix this in a manner that won't strand close to a thousand students currently studying here. (lets pray something happens)

    leave: transfer, leave, take a LOA...whatever you think would be best in your situation.

    Its not about being a pansy...its about being realistic.

  5. #5
    Karplus's Avatar
    Karplus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    I currently live in Guadalajara while attending UAG.
    Posts
    942
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Realistic is playing the hand your dealt. And when someone asks to raise the limit halfway through a hand, you find out where you keep your balls.

    We applied to a Mexican school so we could have the bi-lingual, multi-cultural, experience. We are just going to get a little more of it.

    You don't get that from drinking beer on an island for two years and being second string in a second rate clinical setting for the next two.

    We sat down put up our anti and the dealer changed the rules. It is the way life is sometimes. You play the hand the best you can.

    If that means 6 years in Mexico and becoming a real full fledged doctor in the Mexican system before medical grad school, that is how the hand played out. We lost nothing. We gained the ability to practice in two countries and the extra practice in Spanish.

    Next time a patient walks in to your Podunk, Utah State hospital and says "ayudame, ayudame." You spin your head around and embarass yourself by asking a nurse with heavy make-up if she speaks spanish. "No, I'm from Provo."
    "Every path has a puddle, but every slip is not a fall."
    Benjamin Franklin

  6. #6
    acgtacgtacgt's Avatar
    acgtacgtacgt is offline Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Guadalajara, Mexico
    Posts
    5,584
    Downloads
    56
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree. We both came here for a reason, and that reason involves being here, not somewhere else.

    As for the pansy/AMA fart wind statement, that was more about the AMA giving us a wet fart than about the students being pansies... but it does tell where our balls are, as you say

    Quote Originally Posted by Karplus View Post
    Realistic is playing the hand your dealt. And when someone asks to raise the limit halfway through a hand, you find out where you keep your balls.

    We applied to a Mexican school so we could have the bi-lingual, multi-cultural, experience. We are just going to get a little more of it.

    You don't get that from drinking beer on an island for two years and being second string in a second rate clinical setting for the next two.

    We sat down put up our anti and the dealer changed the rules. It is the way life is sometimes. You play the hand the best you can.

    If that means 6 years in Mexico and becoming a real full fledged doctor in the Mexican system before medical grad school, that is how the hand played out. We lost nothing. We gained the ability to practice in two countries and the extra practice in Spanish.

    Next time a patient walks in to your Podunk, Utah State hospital and says "ayudame, ayudame." You spin your head around and embarass yourself by asking a nurse with heavy make-up if she speaks spanish. "No, I'm from Provo."
    Last edited by acgtacgtacgt; 04-03-2008 at 11:12 PM.
    "You do not truly understand something unless you can explain it to your grandmother." Albert Einstein

  7. #7
    dc99 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    45
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karplus View Post
    Realistic is playing the hand your dealt. And when someone asks to raise the limit halfway through a hand, you find out where you keep your balls.

    We applied to a Mexican school so we could have the bi-lingual, multi-cultural, experience. We are just going to get a little more of it.

    You don't get that from drinking beer on an island for two years and being second string in a second rate clinical setting for the next two.

    We sat down put up our anti and the dealer changed the rules. It is the way life is sometimes. You play the hand the best you can.

    If that means 6 years in Mexico and becoming a real full fledged doctor in the Mexican system before medical grad school, that is how the hand played out. We lost nothing. We gained the ability to practice in two countries and the extra practice in Spanish.

    Next time a patient walks in to your Podunk, Utah State hospital and says "ayudame, ayudame." You spin your head around and embarass yourself by asking a nurse with heavy make-up if she speaks spanish. "No, I'm from Provo."

    Youre calling a clinical institution like the Cleveland Clinic 2nd rate??? Not sure where you're from, but back in the states, that place is highly respectable and prestigious. Obviously, not all clinical rotations are done in top-tier hospitals such as the one mentioned. Others might be sub-par.

    And most students on the island are not spending their time sipping beer and whatnot. Ask the guy who matched into neurosurgery at UT-Southwestern (if you haven't done your research, its pretty damn prestigious) from SGU last year if that was his experience at a carib school. I have friends at these places, and its not at all like you are painting it, at least not for most people.

    But wait, most student 'piss' away their first two years HERE. Just go down to Wallstreet the night before an exam, or Bali Bar....they're the same ones then stuck in 8th sem not having passed their step 1. Better yet, 2 years out of GDL and not being able to obtain a residency anywhere.

    Once again, you evaluate your own personal decision. If you transfer out after two years, you'll be able to answer that patient "seguro que si seniora, en que le podemos ayudar?"...why? because two years is more than sufficient to obtain a conversation-level mastery of the spanish language if you're sincere about obtaining a bicultural, bilingual education. Some 8th semester folks can't hold a decent 1 minute conversation with a spanish speaking pt. Then why the hell did they come down here in the first place?

    once again, its about individual circumstances. If the hand your dealt doesn't go your way and there are options available, take the best one for you.....stay, or leave. just please go easy on the make-up.

  8. #8
    Karplus's Avatar
    Karplus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    I currently live in Guadalajara while attending UAG.
    Posts
    942
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Not sure where I'm from?

    Are you at Cleveland Clinic or is that just a carrot they dangle for you.

    I'll tell you where I've been

    As a grad I was second author on two papers and had a graphic chosen for a review in Science. One paper was while I was at HUP. For those that aren't in the know. That is the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. That is UPenn not PSU. The author of the science article that I made the graphic for was a professor at Washington University. That is the one in St. Louis. In case you are further ignorant of top ten medical schools.

    With a history like that there is more fun on the way.

    There are my Aces over Eights to your pair.
    Last edited by Karplus; 04-03-2008 at 11:32 PM.
    "Every path has a puddle, but every slip is not a fall."
    Benjamin Franklin

  9. #9
    dc99 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    45
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wait a minute...I must be confused. I thought this was the UAG forum, NOT the Univ. of Penn SOM forum...wait a minute...if you have such extensive authorship credentials in such mags as Science, heck, maybe you even had a paper in Cell Bio, or maybe in Nature, why are you at UAG?????

    Why not Penn, why not Harvard, hell, even WashU would have been screaming for such an accomplished applicant.



    As gifted as you are, you did not address the arguments I made in my previous response. This is the child-like, "i'm better than you" type of attitude that promotes nothing but useless arguments.

    In response to your Q: my best friend is completing her surgical rotation at the Cleveland Clinic...and why would they dangle that in front of me? I'm staying here..

    Quote Originally Posted by Karplus View Post
    Not sure where I'm from?

    Are you at Cleveland Clinic or is that just a carrot they dangle for you.

    I'll tell you where I've been

    As a grad I was second author on two papers and had a graphic chosen for a review in Science. One paper was while I was at HUP. For those that aren't in the know. That is the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania. That is UPenn not PSU. The author of the science article that I made the graphic for was a professor at Washington University. That is the one in St. Louis. In case you are further ignorant of top ten medical schools.

    With a history like that there is more fun on the way.

    There are my Aces over Eights to your pair.

  10. #10
    Karplus's Avatar
    Karplus is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    I currently live in Guadalajara while attending UAG.
    Posts
    942
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I believe that what UAG has to offer is valuable. As valuable to a compasionate doctor than anything an Ivy league school can offer. If you want to watch one of the 800 lectures given to the 1st and second year students of UPenn Med School, come over sometime. They all start the same. "I am suprised to see so many of you here today"

    And the papers were in Journal of Biological Chemistry and a Parasitology Journal, I forget the name.

    I left that ego race to help. Spent a year teaching "at risk high school stidents" (Gangsters) and cemented my idea to use my expertiise in science to be a doctor for the underserved in America.

    Yes two years of high school spanish will get you past "ayudame" but not let you work where you are really needed.

    6 years is just extra time to fit in; and know in a room full of a Mother, Father and Daughter who to address when the Daughter is pregnant.

    It is the nuances that you learn from emersion.

    Don't jump from a leaky ship onto a sinking boat.

    I have a reason to be where I am. At the time I am here. Haven't figured out what that is yet but I always seem to land on my feet.

    AND FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIFE IT IS NOT ABOUT WHAT IS BEST FOR YOU. IT IS ABOUT WHAT IS BEST FOR THE PATIENT. YOU TAKE THE TIME YOU NEED FOR YOURSELF, SO YOU CAN BE THERE FOR THEM.
    Last edited by Karplus; 04-04-2008 at 12:01 AM.
    "Every path has a puddle, but every slip is not a fall."
    Benjamin Franklin

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I see dead people at smu!
    By Itookthegamepro in forum St. Martinus Medical School
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-21-2012, 03:28 PM
  2. Ben-Hur is Dead
    By GeorgeMD2B in forum The Relaxing Lounge
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-09-2008, 02:13 PM
  3. is this the dead end?
    By jjj777 in forum USMLE Step 2 CK Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-24-2007, 09:23 PM
  4. Zarqawi is dead
    By Scott1981 in forum The Relaxing Lounge
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 07-01-2006, 09:51 PM
  5. Dead End?
    By disenchanted in sydney in forum Australian Medical Schools
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2003, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •