Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 34
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: UNIBE Medical program

  1. #1
    UndercoverDOC is offline Newbie 515 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    9
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    UNIBE Medical program

    Hello,

    I came on here because there is not enough current information available about what UNIBE in Santo Domingo is really like. I am no longer a student in UNIBE and leaving the school was by far the best decision I ever made. I am taking the time to write this post, because I want to prevent prospective students from making a decision to enroll at UNIBE, without have a real perspective on what it is like.

    First of all, I would like to say to anyone that is researching this school and considering applying, please note that any positive information you find is from UNIBE students that graduated many years ago, or faculty. The school has undergone many changes and the new program that began in 2010 is a nightmare. They changed the curriculum and have made it near impossible for students to take their boards and become physicians.

    UNIBE is a sinking ship. The administration is composed of individuals that are not qualified to run a lemonade stand, yet, they are entrusted with using US Federal Loans to operate and manage a "medical school". The medical program is completely unorganized and comprised of a culture that assumes that all the students are stupid and incapable. From the dean down to the faculty, the culture is abusive and counterproductive to students.

    Everything involved with UNIBE is a fight. Whether it is registering for classes, seeking information about changes, etc., the school makes EVERYTHING a nightmare. They will not give you information and they make critical changes to their curriculum mid semester with no regard for students.

    I could spend hours going on about how twisted and disgusting this institution is, but I will just cut to the chase about why UNIBE is not a feasible option for studying medicine.

    They create schedules that keep the students in class for hours on end. Although this may seem normal, when you are trying to study for your boards, which is all that matters, being in class with a completely incompetent professor that does not show up on time from 9am-7pm every day, is not ideal for studying. Numerous students have tried to explain this to the administration, but their response is "you are just lazy and not managing your time". Mind you, the geniuses designing this schedule, are not physicians, nor do they have any clue about what really studying medicine and passing the USMLE is about. Even the good students that kill themselves studying, are struggling to prepare for exams, because they are forced into attending classes that are pointless at best, and following insane schedules.

    UNIBE is a trap and the school is aware of it. Once you take the federal loans to study there, you are at their mercy and they know it!! The school has raised the tuition every semester. Incoming students now pay $9,000. First of all, how can the school justify this?!! They are literally the only Caribbean school that does not have US clinicals. They say they do, but this is FAR from the truth. They offer a few positions in the states to top students, which is mind boggling. Why? Well, the school makes the exams which have nothing to do with the course. So, you can only rotate in the states with a high GPA, but you cannot get a high GPA because the courses are designed for failure. So, for example, Jose in the Spanish section lives at home, goes to class, has all the information handed to him, does not take his USMLE step 1, and has a 3.7GPA. On the other hand, Doug is in the "english section", came from another country to study, takes exams that are translated from Spanish to English using google, passes USMLE step 1, and has a 3.0 GPA. Guess who is getting the rotation? Jose, who knows absolutely nothing about medicine but has a high GPA.

    There are numerous other caribbean schools that are cheaper, offer US clinicals, and do not have an abusive culture that treats all their students like trash. Why people still go to UNIBE, I do not know.

    As of right now, there have been rumors from UNIBE students that many of them are unable to take their USMLE. . Per ECFMG.org "Additionally, for the purpose of ECFMG Certification, credits earned on or after January 1, 2008 that are transferred to the medical school that awarded or will award your medical degree must meet all of the following criteria:
    • Credits must be transferred from one IMED-listed medical school to another IMED-listed medical school.*
    • Credits must be for courses taken at one medical school within seven years of the date of graduation at the medical school that accepts the transferred courses.
    • Credits must be for courses that were passed at the medical school at which the course was taken.



    What is the significance of this you are wondering? Well, UNIBE has been accepting students and transferring their credits from both high school and college. High school and colleges are not IMED listed schools. So, the majority of students transferred credits from after 2008. Now, many students have applied to take their boards only to discover that their transfer credits are not accepted by the ECFMG, aka their degree is useless because they cannot take their boards. How does a medical school on US Federal Loans allow students to transfer credits that will not be validated? All of the students in this situation are now waiting to see how this will be handled and their future is in the hands of these incompetent imbeciles. What this means, is that students who completed their basic sciences and some clinical semesters, may have to go back and repeat pre-med courses. The question is, did UNIBE admit students and transfer their credits knowing they would not be validated for financial gain? I cannot say for sure, but I would like someone to show me some compelling evidence against this.

    The bottom line here people, is that UNIBE is not an option for studying medicine. They will put road blocks in your way that make this hard career near impossible. If you think that I am lying and are considering this school, please, I beg you to fly there and speak to current students. They are trapped and miserable. Numerous students (those with brains), are transferring out. DO NOT GO TO UNIBE.

  2. #11
    MedStudentMD is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Quote Originally Posted by UnibeTruth View Post
    If your transferred credits do not meet all the criteria listed above, you may request an exception from the ECFMG Medical Education Credentials Committee.

    *Important Note: The criterion that credits must be transferred from one IMED-listed medical school to another IMED-listed medical school does not apply to credits transferred only to the pre-medical portion of the curriculum of the medical school that awarded or will award the medical degree. If you transferred credits to the pre-medical portion of the curriculum at the medical school that awarded or will award your medical degree from an institution that is not an IMED-listed medical school, you must provide ECFMG with a letter from the medical school that awarded or will award your medical degree confirming that the credits were transferred to the pre-medical portion of the curriculum only. This letter must be submitted in conjunction with the application for examination and must accompany the Certification of Identification Form (Form 186) or Certification Statement (Form 183). Applications received without this letter may be rejected. This letter is in addition to disclosing and documenting all transferred credits as described above.


    -------------------
    COME ON, JUST LET ME BE OPTIMISTIC!
    This letter must be on the letterhead of the medical school and be signed by the Dean, Vice Dean, or Registrar.

    Good luck with that one! UNIBE refuses to get involved and all exemption requests are being sent without the required signatures because the school is trying to protect itself from litigation, to the detriment of their own students. If there was hope, I would be telling you right now that you are probably fine, but you are not. You are not going to discover in that ECFMG policy anything that the ECFMG themselves, school officials, lawyers, students, and worried parents have not already discovered in the last 4 months. Get off the optimism juice, schedule a meeting, and when they tell you all 6 students are applying for exemptions, ask them if UNIBE is signing those requests on official school letterhead. Honestly, I'm amazed you did not know this it's a frequently talked about issue among students doing clinicals.
    Last edited by MedStudentMD; 07-09-2014 at 12:43 PM.

  3. #12
    UndercoverDOC is offline Newbie 515 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    9
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes, that is correct. However, that is all fine and dandy, but you are not taking the dates into account. If you transferred credits before Jan 1, 2008, then yes, this is fine. Unfortunately, the majority of students currently enrolled in UNIBE transferred their credits from after 2008. So, once again we are back to ground zero. I know this, because this is what is happening right now.

  4. #13
    josemrodz is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MedStudentMD View Post
    No man everyone is reading it wrong. The issue is that any credit you took after January 1, 2008 and transfered to UNIBE expires 7 years after you took that credit and if that is before your graduation date, then you are screwed because the ECFMG will not allow you to sit for Step 1 until you retake expired credits. This is a known issue at the school that is being kept secret but you can try schedule a meeting and ask. These credits include the pre-med portion of your curriculum because IMED is not the issue it's credit expiration date when credits are transfered from one institution to another. It's 6 student's and counting in a 4 month time-span that have been rejected by the ECFMG, one of them was a student that said he was fine for the reason you posted above. That is because if you read carefully the IMPORTANT NOTE, that you posted only applies to the IMED criterion, not the
    other two criteria, and the IMED criterion is NOT the issue.
    Is there any independent verification for any of this. I'm not implying that you're not being truthful but this is a public forum. Who else, besides you, has had to deal with this and has posted or written about it anywhere else. If this is true then this will bring serious flak on UNIBE when it goes (and it will) public. Surely they will do something about this in order to save their *** if for no other reason. Thanks!

  5. #14
    MedStudentMD is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I did not have to go through the ECFMG denial debacle and was thankfully able to take Step 1 and did well, after taking semesters off/splitting of course. What I am speaking about is common knowledge in the school but I am intimately familiar with it because I have a close friend that is going through it right now and he's devastated. As for flak, I don't think so, nothing will ever happen to that school they pretty much own us that is why word never gets out.

  6. #15
    josemrodz is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MedStudentMD View Post
    This letter must be on the letterhead of the medical school and be signed by the Dean, Vice Dean, or Registrar.

    Good luck with that one! UNIBE refuses to get involved and all exemption requests are being sent without the required signatures because the school is trying to protect itself from litigation, to the detriment of their own students. If there was hope, I would be telling you right now that you are probably fine, but you are not. You are not going to discover in that ECFMG policy anything that the ECFMG themselves, school officials, lawyers, students, and worried parents have not already discovered in the last 4 months. Get off the optimism juice, schedule a meeting, and when they tell you all 6 students are applying for exemptions, ask them if UNIBE is signing those requests on official school letterhead. Honestly, I'm amazed you did not know this it's a frequently talked about issue among students doing clinicals.
    But UNIBE IS IMED listed therefore the letter is not required. Or am I reading that wrong?

  7. #16
    MedStudentMD is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I never said the problem was IMED listing. UNIBE is IMED listed. You are reading it wrong, go back to the first page of this thread and read my 3rd post. The letter is to request an exemption from the ECFMG criteria for whatever reason.

  8. #17
    josemrodz is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MedStudentMD View Post
    I never said the problem was IMED listing. UNIBE is IMED listed. You are reading it wrong, go back to the first page of this thread and read my 3rd post. The letter is to request an exemption from the ECFMG criteria for whatever reason.
    And UNIBE will not grant it. That's messed up. How many students would you say are being screwed by this right now?
    Last edited by josemrodz; 07-10-2014 at 12:21 PM.

  9. #18
    Karla M. Rivera DeJesus is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think you're right (UnibeTruth), pre-med credits doesn't count for that "7 years" criteria.
    Last edited by Karla M. Rivera DeJesus; 07-10-2014 at 10:15 PM.

  10. #19
    MedStudentMD is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla M. Rivera DeJesus View Post
    I think you're right (UnibeTruth), pre-med credits doesn't count for that "7 years" criteria.
    Yeah tell that to the 6 students denied entry to take Step 1. Your statement is no different than me saying, "I think your right Susie, the moon is square". You are not trying to predict something here or make an artistic interpretation, the problem exists. Unless I'm wrong and you understand the ECFMG rules better than the ECFMG itself that decided against these students. Call and ask specifically about UNIBE, then come back and post.

  11. #20
    josemrodz is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Karla M. Rivera DeJesus View Post
    I think you're right (UnibeTruth), pre-med credits doesn't count for that "7 years" criteria.

    OK so this forum is coming alive again! Welcome! Are you a student at UNIBE?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to apply to UNIBE for the pre med program?
    By mbaker in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-05-2012, 11:32 AM
  2. English Program at UNIBE
    By VEXD247 in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-13-2008, 11:47 PM
  3. Any ex-Soldiers In Unibe Or Any Other DR Med Program
    By soldiermedic in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-24-2007, 05:31 PM
  4. UNIBE's Pre-med Program
    By scarytee in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-13-2005, 12:44 AM
  5. someone in the english program at UNIBE, pLz
    By arlene2403 in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-28-2004, 09:07 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •