Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    emt036's Avatar
    emt036 is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,593
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Addition to the TOS

    Advertisements



    Due to the recent tidal wave of verifiably factually incorrect posts from certain VMD members recently, I would suggest adding "posting false/untruthful information" (or something similar) to the list of infraction-worthy violations of the TOS. While I understand that this may be difficult, I believe it to be a necessary step to keep the VMD forums as useful and accurate as possible.

    Thank you for your consideration.

  2. #2
    stephew is offline Moderator Guru 512 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21,867
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    not reasonable. we not only cannot verify every assertion made by every user, we wouldnt want to be "content" moderators. the free exchange is much better. Falsehoods tend to be "outted" readily through discussion. However if someone is found to be willfully and persistantly spreading false information as part of an agenda it would constitute trolling; similarly, repeated/frequent thread hijacking to push any specific agenda (with false or even true information) could be considered trolling. Trolling is a violation of tos.


    Quote Originally Posted by emt036 View Post
    Due to the recent tidal wave of verifiably factually incorrect posts from certain VMD members recently, I would suggest adding "posting false/untruthful information" (or something similar) to the list of infraction-worthy violations of the TOS. While I understand that this may be difficult, I believe it to be a necessary step to keep the VMD forums as useful and accurate as possible.

    Thank you for your consideration.
    Steph
    If you get a warning, put on yer manpants and stop whining about it.

  3. #3
    emt036's Avatar
    emt036 is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,593
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wouldn't expect VMD mods to be content moderators, it's just that some members' assertions are just such obvious lies it's not funny. But you are right - the discussion does tend to uncover these falsehoods and make the OP look rather foolish.

    I was unaware that VMD mods/admin interpreted trolling that way. That should work, as there definitely is a lot of trolling going on. Thanks for your explanation.

  4. #4
    stephew is offline Moderator Guru 512 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21,867
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sure thing.
    In the rare case when a person is hijacking threads etc in ways as described, they are given a pm first as we accept that its an interpretation and not necessarily obvious to the user. they are requested to comply with the spirit of the tos. We simply cant moderate content of what you call "obviously" lies. That's not a reasonable determination for anyone to make in moderation. I understand it can be frustrating for someone knowingly publishing falsehoods to have the freedom to do so, but other users have the freedome to counter the points within tos. trying to shut up others by surpressing the speech simply gives credibility to them when they throw out cries of censorship for content.
    Steph
    If you get a warning, put on yer manpants and stop whining about it.

  5. #5
    emt036's Avatar
    emt036 is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    3,593
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephew View Post
    sure thing.
    In the rare case when a person is hijacking threads etc in ways as described, they are given a pm first as we accept that its an interpretation and not necessarily obvious to the user. they are requested to comply with the spirit of the tos. We simply cant moderate content of what you call "obviously" lies. That's not a reasonable determination for anyone to make in moderation. I understand it can be frustrating for someone knowingly publishing falsehoods to have the freedom to do so, but other users have the freedome to counter the points within tos. trying to shut up others by surpressing the speech simply gives credibility to them when they throw out cries of censorship for content.
    Well, I was just thinking if some people aren't smart enough to shut themselves up, we should help them in looking less foolish. :-) But I do see your points regarding censorship, etc.

  6. #6
    stephew is offline Moderator Guru 512 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21,867
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by emt036 View Post
    Well, I was just thinking if some people aren't smart enough to shut themselves up, we should help them in looking less foolish. :-)
    well there is that too...
    Steph
    If you get a warning, put on yer manpants and stop whining about it.

Similar Threads

  1. step 2 CK question bank in addition to Uworld?
    By dondon in forum SGU Medical School Clinicals
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-23-2011, 10:17 AM
  2. Unused new addition kaplan books for sale
    By burboze in forum AUA Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-27-2010, 10:53 AM
  3. Exam Master Online is an Excellent Addition
    By kanson in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 03-11-2006, 08:39 PM
  4. USMLE addition of CSA
    By wisaund in forum USMLE STEP 2 CS Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2003, 01:37 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •