Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    rgbjusticewarrior is offline Newbie 514 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    you'd have to be insane to go to st matthews university

    Advertisements



    the school is a complete fraud 100% confirmed. you'd need to be coughing up $20k+ every semester on top of tuition and fees just to be given a chance to pass. be extremely extremely careful. if you paid $500 deposit under pressure from the admissions lady, losing $500 is better than losing hundreds of thousands of dollars in student debt and finishing your career. and they will lie to you about the attrition rate. only less than 10% of students finish and from that 10% only 1 in 3 are able to get a residency. dozens of lawsuits are against the parent company R3 as well.

    tldr: you'd literally have to be nuts to go here in 2019. school was different 10 years ago but it's a total scam now. save your money and wait to get into a real school.

  2. #2
    JohnI is offline Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    223
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rgbjusticewarrior View Post

    tldr: you'd literally have to be nuts to go here in 2019. school was different 10 years ago but it's a total scam now. save your money and wait to get into a real school.
    The school was not that different back then, same issues but less pronounced... Please, Please Please, read 2 threads below!

    Cheers,

    JohnI

  3. #3
    bravemaple8 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Posts
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree wholeheartedly that students should avoid this school at all costs. The semester starts on January 8, so there's still time to avoid making a huge mistake. The levels of corruption which go on at this school are beyond anything you'll ever see. Unfortunately, by the time students realize this, it's halfway through the first semester, and there's no real turning back at that point.

    Generally speaking, any negative advice on this forum is followed by something positive success stories (which are not true at all btw), and gives students an inherently false vision of success. The fact that they say 97% First Time USMLE Step-1 pass rate, proves how much they're used to lying.

    Please avoid this school, if you want an actual shot at being a physician.
    Don't go to the school just because you paid a deposit. It is absolutely true that the admissions people pressure you to go there after acceptance.

    If you are already on the island, and this is your first semester, please consider getting a refund of as much as you can and go home to retake the MCAT and get into a U.S. school. For most students who attend St. Matthew's University, it turns out to be the worst mistake of their lives, which haunts them for the remainder of their lives.

  4. #4
    lily2159 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bravemaple8 View Post
    I agree wholeheartedly that students should avoid this school at all costs. The semester starts on January 8, so there's still time to avoid making a huge mistake. The levels of corruption which go on at this school are beyond anything you'll ever see. Unfortunately, by the time students realize this, it's halfway through the first semester, and there's no real turning back at that point.

    Generally speaking, any negative advice on this forum is followed by something positive success stories (which are not true at all btw), and gives students an inherently false vision of success. The fact that they say 97% First Time USMLE Step-1 pass rate, proves how much they're used to lying.

    Please avoid this school, if you want an actual shot at being a physician.
    Don't go to the school just because you paid a deposit. It is absolutely true that the admissions people pressure you to go there after acceptance.

    If you are already on the island, and this is your first semester, please consider getting a refund of as much as you can and go home to retake the MCAT and get into a U.S. school. For most students who attend St. Matthew's University, it turns out to be the worst mistake of their lives, which haunts them for the remainder of their lives.
    Please elaborate with examples. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Atlantoaxial is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    47
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've seen many negative posts regarding SMU, at least since a few years. Both on ValueMD and StudentDR
    We can't know if they are all from the same person or not.
    While I don't know a lot about SMU, I'm trying to understand how those posts can be truthful if we take in consideration the following:
    1) According to the WDOMS, the SMU attrition rate is very low (for an offshore med school let's say): https://search.wdoms.org/home/SchoolDetail/F0001649
    (obviously the admission year does not correspond to the graduation year....)
    Does someone think a med school could lie to the accreditation authorities about its real attrition rate? I don't know. But IMAO it would be very suicidal for a med school to do so.
    2) There are PLENTY of doctors and residents from SMU practicing in the US. Many SMU students in residency at this moment. So if all the statements against SMU were true, why there are still many students matching in the US?

    I'm not trying to defend SMU at all. Just noticing the dichotomy between the speech and the facts.

  6. #6
    intergalacticjesus is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantoaxial View Post
    I've seen many negative posts regarding SMU, at least since a few years. Both on ValueMD and StudentDR
    We can't know if they are all from the same person or not.
    While I don't know a lot about SMU, I'm trying to understand how those posts can be truthful if we take in consideration the following:
    1) According to the WDOMS, the SMU attrition rate is very low (for an offshore med school let's say)
    (obviously the admission year does not correspond to the graduation year....)
    Does someone think a med school could lie to the accreditation authorities about its real attrition rate? I don't know. But IMAO it would be very suicidal for a med school to do so.
    2) There are PLENTY of doctors and residents from SMU practicing in the US. Many SMU students in residency at this moment. So if all the statements against SMU were true, why there are still many students matching in the US?

    I'm not trying to defend SMU at all. Just noticing the dichotomy between the speech and the facts.
    SMU obviously manipulated with the reporting, such as they do with everything.
    The students they reported to WDOM excluded all students who did not pass the comp exam.
    It also included students who transferred and graduated from other schools.
    This chart doesn't go back 4 years, so you don't know how many students began.

    (FACT) A published NRMP chart compares the MATCH rate of SMU (Cayman Islands) along with other Caribbean countries in 2013 and finds that 65/204 students matched (and the match rate plummeted after 2015)...which can be obtained with a quick google search

    Either the NRMP (most accurate resource we have) is lying, or the school lied on their reporting to WDOM. NRMP clearly states that 1 in 3 GRADUATES (not attendees, but people who passed everything) from SMU are able to match into anything.

    From M1 to Graduation within a 6-year rate(we'll be generous), and match is well below 10%, my friend.
    When California reviewed the school. California report stated that attrition rate was 81% at that time. I can tell you for a fact that the attrition rate is much worse now. And after the students who are left at the end, 1 in 3 will obtain a residency.

    If you are disputing these facts, and claiming that a single person is mad at SMU and putting out false narratives for over a decade, you need to re-evaluate your life decisions. On the other hand, if you'd like, you can check out the cases that R3 Education currently has in queue by using pacermaker or other legal resources such as justia, law360, unicourt, etc.

  7. #7
    Atlantoaxial is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    47
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by intergalacticjesus View Post
    If you are disputing these facts, and claiming that a single person is mad at SMU and putting out false narratives for over a decade, you need to re-evaluate your life decisions.
    Not disputing, but asking.
    Let's consider 2 things:
    1) almost every post bashing SMU come from users with very few posts (you have only 2 posts at this moment). This very famelic support looks doubtful. It's rational to have a doubt and ask.
    2) I remember too well the "Spartan episode" many years ago. Spartan was the black sheep on VMD. A LOT of posts almost every day just to bash Spartan. Supposedly based on facts...but rather based on opinion of people who never put a foot on the island so even less to that school.
    It's just scandalous how Spartan has been wrongly and subjectively judged. I can tell you those posts were all lies.

    I'm just trying to understand if it's a new Spartan-like episode or not.

  8. #8
    intergalacticjesus is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantoaxial View Post
    Not disputing, but asking.
    Let's consider 2 things:
    1) almost every post bashing SMU come from users with very few posts (you have only 2 posts at this moment). This very famelic support looks doubtful. It's rational to have a doubt and ask.
    2) I remember too well the "Spartan episode" many years ago. Spartan was the black sheep on VMD. A LOT of posts almost every day just to bash Spartan. Supposedly based on facts...but rather based on opinion of people who never put a foot on the island so even less to that school.
    It's just scandalous how Spartan has been wrongly and subjectively judged. I can tell you those posts were all lies.

    I'm just trying to understand if it's a new Spartan-like episode or not.
    If you want to go by that token, most negative reviews about SMU are also always rebutted (or attempted to be rebutted) by new accounts, or accounts with nothing but positive glory posts of SMU. You were just given facts, and you're turning this into a conspiracy theory about how someone is out to get SMU. Sure seems like you have a keen interest in protecting the reputation of the school (and all the shady things it does). Also, are you going to defend the school of NBME shelf questions theft as well? Not only did the school violate international intellectual property laws, but it defied a contract it signed with NBME. They were caught red-handed TWICE over the past 2 years. Please defend that as well. Please also defend the invasion of privacy that this school does with security cameras around campus and residence hall and monitoring of internet.

  9. #9
    Atlantoaxial is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    47
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The sophism "if you defend the school it's because you have a keen interest..." won't help your cause.
    I have no interest at all with SMU and I've never been there. And I'm not defending that school at all.
    I've been reading VMD for almost a decade. It's not my first rodeo.
    You should know the medicine you are practicing or want to practice is EBM. So I'm not saying SMU is not a scam or something like that. I'm only saying the rhetoric and the "container" backing that statement have many flaws. I've seen a lot of false statements and campaigns against schools in the past. with stronger endorsements.

    I quote you again:
    If you are disputing these facts, and claiming that a single person is mad at SMU and putting out false narratives for over a decade, you need to re-evaluate your life decisions.
    So you say there are bad posts about SMU since over a decade.
    OK.
    :: then you say about me thatI would need to re-evaluate my life decisions.
    OK.
    Problem: if there are bad posts about SMU since over a decade AND those post according to your are legitimate AND you chose to go to that school anyway...who between you and me takes bad life decisions?

    Thus, according to your own rhetoric/logic, you are either:
    1) a bad decision taker
    2) not a student of SMU.

    Now, are you are asking us to rely on a bad decision taker or on someone who never put a foot to SMU?

  10. #10
    intergalacticjesus is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atlantoaxial View Post
    The sophism "if you defend the school it's because you have a keen interest..." won't help your cause.
    I have no interest at all with SMU and I've never been there. And I'm not defending that school at all.
    I've been reading VMD for almost a decade. It's not my first rodeo.
    You should know the medicine you are practicing or want to practice is EBM. So I'm not saying SMU is not a scam or something like that. I'm only saying the rhetoric and the "container" backing that statement have many flaws. I've seen a lot of false statements and campaigns against schools in the past. with stronger endorsements.

    I quote you again:


    So you say there are bad posts about SMU since over a decade.
    OK.
    :: then you say about me thatI would need to re-evaluate my life decisions.
    OK.
    Problem: if there are bad posts about SMU since over a decade AND those post according to your are legitimate AND you chose to go to that school anyway...who between you and me takes bad life decisions?

    Thus, according to your own rhetoric/logic, you are either:
    1) a bad decision taker
    2) not a student of SMU.

    Now, are you are asking us to rely on a bad decision taker or on someone who never put a foot to SMU?
    Yes, I admit it. I attended SMU, and it was a terrible decision on my behalf. I own it, though. I can tell from my experience, and the experience of the majority of my class (who did not make it, despite most being smart and hard-working) that the numbers SMU tells everyone of their glamorous pass rates are blatantly bogus, and the attrition rate they tell you before the interview is also bogus . FFS, the school has written on their website they have a USMLE first-time pass rate of 97%...and that in and of itself is the biggest pile of doo-doo I've seen. Biggest lie EVER. From the students that pass fifth semester, less than half pass the step 1.

    But you clearly haven't attended the school, so why are you creating conspiracy theories that someone is out to get the school? And why are you saying that criticism of the school shouldn't be taken seriously? Please tell us all why you're mad.

Similar Threads

  1. St. Matthews University is a Fraud
    By blissfulgorilla73 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-29-2018, 01:49 PM
  2. Need Information About St. Matthews University
    By RKK 56 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2011, 11:02 AM
  3. Ross v. St. Matthews University
    By imjking87 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 02:22 PM
  4. Ross v. St. Matthews University
    By imjking87 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-02-2008, 01:13 PM
  5. Why choose St. Matthews University?
    By iguodala_fan in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-06-2008, 02:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •