Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21
  1. #1
    Flounder is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Restaurant at the end of the Universe
    Posts
    3,772
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Got an email telling me not to go to SGU

    This is a copy of the email I just got any one else get it or something similar?

    Dear Jack:
    I saw you message on the forum. If you are from NY i would strongly suggest that you look into St. Matthews university in the Grand Cayman Islands. The school is fully approved by NY, absolutely no restrictions. The rotations are excellent.
    Grenada is a very very hard island to go to school on. Grand Cayman is like going to school in Miami Florida. It has every amenity you can want. Also only a 50 minute flight from Miami. Also a direct flight from NY.
    The school professors are awesome. St. George is good academically as well. But St. Matthews is becoming superior because of the location, and the amount of money the school has to invest in the school. The tuition is less than St. George as well.
    Keep i touch
    That's my 2 cents and I want some change back.

  2. #11
    stephew is offline Moderator Guru 512 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21,867
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    pssssst. hey buddy. c'mere. Listen..have I gotta school for you!
    Steph
    If you get a warning, put on yer manpants and stop whining about it.

  3. #12
    swimguy23's Avatar
    swimguy23 is offline Elite Member 516 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3,923
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    did you mean ruffians or russians?

    i think it would be quite funny to wake up one morning and see a whole bunch of russians in my front yard maybe even doin that russian dance where they have theyre arms folded and kick out one leg at a time while squatting.....

    i can say this bc im russian.....


    but it is a sad attempt
    Hospitalist 2011-2012
    Hematology/Oncology 2012-2015

    some swimmer from Ct Hidden Content
    the problem with the gene pool is that there are too many lifeguards.....and we have been offering swimmies

  4. #13
    thebegonia is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    150
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stephew
    How weenie is that email?
    super weenie
    Do or do not... there is no try. - Yoda

  5. #14
    RAMAIR57 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    161
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I dont see why the email is being looked at negatively. If the points in the email are indeed true, it had some valid points. Obviously, I would research it myself, but if they both have similar stats regarding usmle passing and u want to practice in ny, its certainly worth exploring. Grenada is a very, very difficult place to have to deal with medical school. For that reason alone its worth looking into

  6. #15
    daguru's Avatar
    daguru is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    2,076
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    really though, it is not professional to email someone who is already done with their admissions process and try to convince them of changing their minds. not only was the email poorly written in terms of arguments with facts or figures, but it was completely subjective as well as shady.

    should you blindly pick SGU because everyone tells you to? heck no! but should some random VMD'er email people who are going to one school to rag on it and tell them to go to another school? no. it's ridiculous.

    and really, i dont think grenada is a very difficult place to go to school at all! you have amazing facilities(better than a lot of US schools), the grocery store has, every time i went there this term, had everything i need. there are restaurants, bars, movie theaters, heck, even a decent internet connection at like 2 dozen places on campus. so really...what else was it that you were missing?

    i am not trying to turn this into a 'is grenada amazing or not', because sure there are problems. but is it a very very difficult place to go to medical school? no. at least not in my opion, but you are entitled to yours and i to mine...


    by the way, that is super DUPER weenie. don't start feeling bad that you are going to SGU, i think it's a great place to go to school...
    "I like my women like I like my coffee....hot...sweet......and with a spoon in them!"--E.I.

  7. #16
    stephew is offline Moderator Guru 512 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21,867
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RAMAIR57
    I dont see why the email is being looked at negatively. If the points in the email are indeed true, it had some valid points. Obviously, I would research it myself, but if they both have similar stats regarding usmle passing and u want to practice in ny, its certainly worth exploring. Grenada is a very, very difficult place to have to deal with medical school. For that reason alone its worth looking into
    Really? Don't you?
    eh, i think the point is twofold; the first is that most of us at least on this forum know a bit about the schools; it makes vague assersions without backing them up. Anyone who's lurking about ehre can identify the suspicous comments. It leaves an aweful lot out and doesn't explain why its "comparable". It just asserts that it is. Sort of like a politician. Look at your own post; its got a lot of "if's" in it. But it piqued your interest atleast didnt it?

    I am amused with the notion that Grenada is hardly "very very difficult"to deal with. Annoying at time oh yes, and rock fever happens. But its hardly a bad time. In fact I've very fond memories.

    The second point is the email is sleazy. Its got the stench of poaching. the door to door salesmen routine is just oily. it makes the school look bad an reinforces the worst of the offshore school sterotype. The info is out there. Stop the soliciting.
    Steph
    If you get a warning, put on yer manpants and stop whining about it.

  8. #17
    Knight007's Avatar
    Knight007 is offline Member 524 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    495
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ummm... before we jump to conclusions, just remember the fact that this is an
    anonymous forum and people will take advantage of that.
    Anyone could have sent that message to the OP.
    Also, St. Matthews has been growing very fast...and they have more
    applicants than seats available. This Aug' 05 class will be the largest
    ..about 150 students.

    If anything it's just an overzealous student ... or some shady person
    purposely trying to stir up trouble on the forum.

    But it doesn't sound like a recruiting tactic to me.
    Dont believe everything you hear.

  9. #18
    vtrain's Avatar
    vtrain is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am.
    Posts
    678
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackb79
    This is a copy of the email I just got any one else get it or something similar?
    Sounds shady. Grenada is not a "very, very hard island to go to school." After being here for almost a year, I find that statement mildly offensive and from first hand knowledge, it definitely is not. Stick with SGU - You won't regret it.
    Last edited by vtrain; 06-29-2005 at 03:58 PM.
    "Remember your Hippopotamus Oath."
    -H. Simpson

  10. #19
    cowgirl's Avatar
    cowgirl is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    calgary, alberta, canada
    Posts
    3,216
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vtrain
    Sounds shady. Grenada is not a "very, very hard island to go to school." After being here for almost a year, I find that statement midly offensive and from first hand knowledge, it definitely is not. Stick with SGU - You won't regret it.
    vtrain, you shouldn't take it as mildly offensive... instead, perhaps as a compliment cuz the "very very hard island to go to school" on, is indeed not. maybe that person couldn't handle it, or if they haven't experienced it... then there's no realy validation in their statement.

    as for the email, i guess you just have to be careful about what you read and what you believe. VMD is full of opinions, and i guess this is just one of them, regardless of how invalid it may be.

  11. #20
    vtrain's Avatar
    vtrain is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wherever I go, there I am.
    Posts
    678
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cowgirl
    vtrain, you shouldn't take it as mildly offensive... instead, perhaps as a compliment cuz the "very very hard island to go to school" on, is indeed not. maybe that person couldn't handle it, or if they haven't experienced it... then there's no realy validation in their statement.

    as for the email, i guess you just have to be careful about what you read and what you believe. VMD is full of opinions, and i guess this is just one of them, regardless of how invalid it may be.
    But taken into account the context, I dont think the letter was implying that. However, what you say is very true. You can definitely look at it that way as well.
    "Remember your Hippopotamus Oath."
    -H. Simpson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Forwarding email from AUA email account to personal email
    By SinghIsKing in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-10-2011, 09:30 PM
  2. Is Dr... Telling the Truth
    By bkbk in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 04-03-2008, 09:59 PM
  3. Tell me if AGU is telling the truth
    By cd05 in forum American Global University
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 06-12-2007, 11:23 AM
  4. I Suppose It's All In The Telling Of The Story
    By azskeptic in forum The Relaxing Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-14-2005, 10:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •