Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Phrenetic is offline Elite Member 7162 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,759
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Term 4 CPD Lab Final (OSCE)

    Advertisements



    The average was 76%? Just when you think things can't get any worse around here, they find new ways to unpleasantly surprise you.

    I'm one of the people who came into SGU in August 2009 totally excited about the school. I supported it and defended it, even to KGirl once, my silly naivete. I was critical of the micro final exam retakers and saw it more just to side with the department/school on that and several other occasions.

    But at this point, I have very few nice things to say about our school. Second year has been a complete and utter disappointment. The seething mistrust, bordering on hatred, and total lack of respect with which the pathology department seems to view students combined with the mindboggling administrative incompetence, lack of standards and professionalism of the CS department are incomprehensible.

    May 2011 cannot get here fast enough. Let's just hope that years 3 and 4 will be better than year 2. Can or will I recommend the school to any prospective students? I don't think so.

  2. #2
    ftmp42's Avatar
    ftmp42 is offline Member 545 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    258
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't say how upset I was to see my OSCE score. During the exam, I was given ZERO negative feedback. Literally, nothing was said to me during the evulation period to make me think that I had lost a SINGLE point. When I checked my grade (slightly above the average) I couldn't believe that it was correct, but it seems like that's the experience that everyone else was having. This is a shame considering I thought the format was fair at the time, but I guess the grading was not.

    I wonder what's going to happen to the approximately 30% of class that must have failed the exam given the average, considering that it is a part of the CPD syllabus that a failing grade on any of the exams constitutes a failure for the entire course.

  3. #3
    kananaskis_girl's Avatar
    kananaskis_girl is offline Super Moderator
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    at the hospital.....
    Posts
    12,811
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrenetic View Post
    The average was 76%? Just when you think things can't get any worse around here, they find new ways to unpleasantly surprise you.

    I'm one of the people who came into SGU in August 2009 totally excited about the school. I supported it and defended it, even to KGirl once, my silly naivete. I was critical of the micro final exam retakers and saw it more just to side with the department/school on that and several other occasions.

    But at this point, I have very few nice things to say about our school. Second year has been a complete and utter disappointment. The seething mistrust, bordering on hatred, and total lack of respect with which the pathology department seems to view students combined with the mindboggling administrative incompetence, lack of standards and professionalism of the CS department are incomprehensible.

    May 2011 cannot get here fast enough. Let's just hope that years 3 and 4 will be better than year 2. Can or will I recommend the school to any prospective students? I don't think so.
    always listen to kgirl.....lol

    don't worry, every one of us goes through stuff like this at SGU, and we all get through it some way or another. The CS department is mind-boggling to me, after all these years, I just don't know why they can't fix it

    take a deep breath and relax during the break, you're almost home free!
    SGU Forum Momma Hidden Content

    That's Doctor Evil to you....

  4. #4
    shadyhtown is offline Senior Member 524 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    1,092
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Wow.. I remember we had a 90+ average on both CPD labs exams in 4th term.. something must've changed dramatically..

    I wouldn't go as far as not recommending the school to anyone. There's far more good than bad..

  5. #5
    EV
    EV is offline Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    342
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrenetic View Post

    I'm one of the people who came into SGU in August 2009 totally excited about the school.

    But at this point, I have very few nice things to say about our school. Second year has been a complete and utter disappointment. The seething mistrust, bordering on hatred, and total lack of respect with which the pathology department seems to view students combined with the mindboggling administrative incompetence, lack of standards and professionalism of the CS department are incomprehensible.
    Incredibly familliar sentiments come back rushing to me after reading your post.
    I can promise that 3rd and 4th year, while not completely without issues, will be much better.
    Hang in there, next thing you know May 2011 will be here in no time.

  6. #6
    Mr.X's Avatar
    Mr.X is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    29
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrenetic View Post
    The average was 76%? Just when you think things can't get any worse around here, they find new ways to unpleasantly surprise you.
    Is this really the experience everyone is having? I was literally shocked when I saw what my lab exam mark was, I thought for sure there was just no way there could be that much discordance between all my other marks in CPD and the mark they posted for my lab exam. I thought they made a mistake when putting in my marks. I'm still shocked actually, when I was taking my exam, I thought I did pretty well seeing as how most of the markers said I was doing a relatively good job.

    I don't even understand how they can justify a 76% average. How can they suddenly change the format of the exam, give students conflicting information on the content of the exam until less than a week before the actual exam and then give such low marks on what is essentially a very subjectively assessed exam in the first place?

    Seriously, if this is what everyone is experience, there should be something done about it. The sad part is, I don't really have any bad things to say about the path department, nor do I have any complaints against the path exams. I feel I got what I deserved in those exams, despite whether they were low marks or high marks. In fact, to date I don't think I've ever taken an exam where I felt I got cheated out of deserved marks. I've never even really complained about any exam before, for any course. But this OSCE, no way, just no way dude. This mark is just too out there, there is just no way I got that low a mark on that exam.
    Last edited by Mr.X; 12-14-2010 at 05:15 PM.

  7. #7
    Prash P's Avatar
    Prash P is offline Senior Member 541 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    South London (Surrey), UK
    Posts
    1,094
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.X View Post
    Is this really the experience everyone is having? I was literally shocked when I saw what my lab exam mark was, I thought for sure there was just no way there could be that much discordance between all my other marks in CPD and the mark they posted for my lab exam. I thought they made a mistake when putting in my marks. I'm still shocked actually, when I was taking my exam, I thought I did pretty well seeing as how most of the markers said I was doing a relatively good job.

    I don't even understand how they can justify a 76% average. How can they suddenly change the format of the exam, give students conflicting information on the content of the exam until less than a week before the actual exam and then give such low marks on what is essentially a very subjectively assessed exam in the first place?

    Seriously, if this is what everyone is experience, there should be something done about it. The sad part is, I don't really have any bad things to say about the path department, nor do I have any complaints against the path exams. I feel I got what I deserved in those exams, despite whether they were low marks or high marks. In fact, to date I don't think I've ever taken an exam where I felt I got cheated out of deserved marks. I've never even really complained about any exam before, for any course. But this OSCE, no way, just no way dude. This mark is just too out there, there is just no way I got that low a mark on that exam.

    EXACTLY HOW I FEEL.

    I went into term 4 praying I wouldn't get done by path. Low and behold CPD decides to do me over instead. Seriously!!! What is wrong with that department??!!

  8. #8
    Salama's Avatar
    Salama is offline Member Guru 8316 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Suppose you call me intern.
    Posts
    10,799
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.X View Post
    In fact, to date I don't think I've ever taken an exam where I felt I got cheated out of deserved marks. I've never even really complained about any exam before, for any course.
    I would have to disagree. The immuno final is NOT representative of your knowledge of Immunology.
    "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." ~W.E. Henley

  9. #9
    Phrenetic is offline Elite Member 7162 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,759
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.X View Post
    Is this really the experience everyone is having? I was literally shocked when I saw what my lab exam mark was, I thought for sure there was just no way there could be that much discordance between all my other marks in CPD and the mark they posted for my lab exam. I thought they made a mistake when putting in my marks. I'm still shocked actually, when I was taking my exam, I thought I did pretty well seeing as how most of the markers said I was doing a relatively good job.

    I don't even understand how they can justify a 76% average. How can they suddenly change the format of the exam, give students conflicting information on the content of the exam until less than a week before the actual exam and then give such low marks on what is essentially a very subjectively assessed exam in the first place?

    Seriously, if this is what everyone is experience, there should be something done about it. The sad part is, I don't really have any bad things to say about the path department, nor do I have any complaints against the path exams. I feel I got what I deserved in those exams, despite whether they were low marks or high marks. In fact, to date I don't think I've ever taken an exam where I felt I got cheated out of deserved marks. I've never even really complained about any exam before, for any course. But this OSCE, no way, just no way dude. This mark is just too out there, there is just no way I got that low a mark on that exam.
    I had that reaction. Given the rest of my grades in CPD and based on the feedback I got during the exam there is absolutely NO way my OSCE grade makes sense. It's crazy. I don't understand what they are thinking or if they are thinking. The teaching is atrocious and the grading makes no sense.

    My problem with the path department is their attitude. The bone lectures were a disaster. The Mrs.-Dr. course co-director publicly humiliated several students during labs in a very unprofessional manner. The objectives were a mess for endocrine. The notes for some of the topics were messy, incomplete, had errors. Some of the exam questions seemed to have been written with the aim of confusing students and not testing their actual path knowledge. The quality of the tutors in labs was highly variable and at times really interfered with the learning process. Honestly I don't know if the grade I got in the course was fair or not, because some things that seem to be important according to many other reputable sources (like Rapid Review) were not even covered and some things that were covered in great detail seem to have no relevance anywhere outside Taylor and Charter. I have taught myself quite a bit of path during this term and I think I will do well on Step 1, but none of that credit goes to the path department, which is a problem. I paid them a lot of money to teach me and provide me with the necessary resources, and I know for a fact that I didn't get my money's worth. Not even close. And don't even get me started on the "teaching" in the CS department.
    Last edited by Phrenetic; 12-14-2010 at 05:40 PM.

  10. #10
    Phrenetic is offline Elite Member 7162 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,759
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Salama View Post
    I would have to disagree. The immuno final is NOT representative of your knowledge of Immunology.
    I agree 100%.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Nac-osce
    By soniaa in forum Canadian IMG
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-30-2011, 11:19 AM
  2. Term 3 final, behavioral science
    By ali ahmed in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-23-2009, 12:32 AM
  3. Clinical Skills Final Exam Term 6
    By NY CALI DAD in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 11-10-2008, 05:10 PM
  4. Osce
    By Buttons in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-18-2006, 04:21 PM
  5. 1st Term Final Exams
    By TXRN in forum St. Christophers College of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-06-2004, 03:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •