Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Myst is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    117
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Anyone know if CARMS will be making another visit to SGU this term?

    Advertisements



    Last term a lady from CARMS came to the school to give a talk about clinical rotations and residency in Canada. Does anyone know if anything is planned for this term as well?

  2. #2
    Trillium is offline Member 513 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    306
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm surprised and pleased that someone from CARMS would make the trip. Shows that Carib schools are gaining more acceptance.

    Did they visit a couple Carib schools or just SGU? Anyone attend the last meeting? If so, please share what was discussed.

  3. #3
    CANeh's Avatar
    CANeh is offline Elite Member 527 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,679
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Don't be surprised if someone tells you that carms is a busn and they just want more applicants in order to increase revnue and with ~400 to 500 canadians there it hits a lot of applicants at once.

  4. #4
    Keyser112 is offline Member 516 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    291
    Downloads
    19
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    just SGU afaik

  5. #5
    Trillium is offline Member 513 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    306
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser112 View Post
    just SGU afaik

    ?......................

  6. #6
    Kongakut's Avatar
    Kongakut is offline Senior Member 527 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,408
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trillium View Post
    ?......................
    Just SGU afaik (as far as I know).
    Med-Peds Hospitalist

  7. #7
    CARICOM-MED is offline Permanently Banned 530 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Multiple Accounts
    Posts
    1,236
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    mambo jumbo CaRMS and ERAS "Talks"

    Yah ok, and we had someone from ERAS coming to give a "talk" in our school

    Smart thread but, I doubt the Canadian Authorities, will spend the money to "recruit" MDs from the CARICOM region, while there are thousands of IMGs from better international schools waiting residency.....Ireland, England, India, Israel, Russia etc...


  8. #8
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11645 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,094
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UHSADOC View Post
    Yah ok, and we had someone from ERAS coming to give a "talk" in our school

    Smart thread but, I doubt the Canadian Authorities, will spend the money to "recruit" MDs from the CARICOM region, while there are thousands of IMGs from better international schools waiting residency.....Ireland, England, India, Israel, Russia etc...
    its not a question of recruit as more so an aknowledgement of the acceptability of sgu grads for canadian residencies...

    and i question the statement that there are "better" international schools in russia, ireland, or israel...their domiciled schools , yes, but those programs that cater to US students...they are in the same boat as the rest of us...
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  9. #9
    CARICOM-MED is offline Permanently Banned 530 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Multiple Accounts
    Posts
    1,236
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Nah, SGU is in the same boat as the rest of the CARICOM med programs, as far as CARMS is concerned.....Many SABA, Ross, AUC even few grads from my school matched in Canada....so, poor thread argument.....also I
    don't think it is comparable to university-hospital integrated model based medical schools in Europe / Israel or Australia.......you just can't compare the resources, facilities etc....

    I seriously doubt CaRMS is "sending" reps to the CARICOM region

    Quote Originally Posted by rokshana View Post
    its not a question of recruit as more so an aknowledgement of the acceptability of sgu grads for canadian residencies...

    and i question the statement that there are "better" international schools in russia, ireland, or israel...their domiciled schools , yes, but those programs that cater to US students...they are in the same boat as the rest of us...

  10. #10
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11645 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,094
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UHSADOC View Post
    Nah, SGU is in the same boat as the rest of the CARICOM med programs, as far as CARMS is concerned.....Many SABA, Ross, AUC even few grads from my school matched in Canada....so, poor thread argument.....also I
    don't think it is comparable to university-hospital integrated model based medical schools in Europe / Israel or Australia.......you just can't compare the resources, facilities etc....

    I seriously doubt CaRMS is "sending" reps to the CARICOM region
    FMG is FMG...when i interviewed for residency i saw way more sgu and ross applicants than i did israeli or irish applicants (even in the NYC programs) and looking at the current housestaff list at any given hospital you will generally see ross and sgu represented more so than sackler or RSCI...

    australia would be a bit different (other than the UQ Oschner thing) since those are US citizens in the domicled schools rather than programs established for US citizens...those programs are 2nd chance programs as well.

    and IMHO i'd rather be in the caribbean than israel...no offense, but the constant threat of bombs and war are not something i want to worry about...

    and you do realize that the question was if CaRMS is going to send a rep AGAIN, not just at all...CaRMS rep has already come to visit sgu...
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. carms
    By Silenthunder in forum Canadian IMG
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-05-2010, 07:35 PM
  2. CaRMS
    By hkmedbound in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 06-02-2009, 07:15 AM
  3. CARMs..
    By harsy in forum MUA Nevis Medical School Clinicals
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-20-2008, 10:35 PM
  4. CARMS
    By adnexa in forum Canadian IMG
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2005, 07:14 PM
  5. how many times did you visit/ did you visit before applying?
    By andrea in forum Universidad Autonoma de Guadalajara (UAG)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 12:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •