Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 44
  1. #1
    StillTrying is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    65
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I have cried for 3 days !!

    I applied to a few Caribbean medicals schools and decided to go to Spartan. I thought it seems like a good school....it has been around since 1980, has a lot of current practicing doctors, its only 4 semesters (shorter), and its a lot cheaper !!
    But ever since I told my friends and family...everyone is so negative.

    All I hear is that if I don't go to one of the Big 4 schools...than I will have problems. Everyone says I will have a harder time in clinicals and getting
    residency where I want...or that all top picks go to US students.....and that in the long run the constant struggle will not be worth it and everyone will look down on me being a Spartan graduate.

    They also said what kind of school does not list the clinical hospitals available for clinicals ?? plus...they do not even show you housing options or pictures ?? I looked on the website and that seems true !

    I was sooooo excited about getting the chance to be an MD and now I am so upset and do not know what to do.
    Can anyone help with some positive things ??
    Should I really consider another school ??
    Is the stigma really that bad from other doctors or when trying to get in Residency ??

    Freaked Out !!!

  2. #21
    ME2bMD is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    135
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Every thought in our mind confirms the other trillions of thoughts in our mind while giving birth to a potential new thought, a new direction, and a new course of action. From this seed comes the birth of our choices which flower when we act. What you think is who u are and what you do confirms that with every choice that is acted upon.

  3. #22
    dt
    dt is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,794
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wasselm View Post
    In a search on yahoo i have found this:
    among its achievements Spartan can boast a Nobel Prize Winner in the person of Dr S****T******, an alumni who won a Nobel Prize in 1999 as part of a team of Doctors Without Borders who provided care to persons in need around the world.

    Yes, that's him. It turns out that he did not get a Nobel Prize nor was he with Doctors Without Borders. You can go to the respective websites to confirm. And there were newspaper articles about him when the hoax was exposed.

    Anyways, old news...
    Last edited by teratos; 04-25-2007 at 07:07 AM. Reason: names

  4. #23
    wisdom76 is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    79
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    If you are an MD

    Quote Originally Posted by StillTrying View Post
    I applied to a few Caribbean medicals schools and decided to go to Spartan. I thought it seems like a good school....it has been around since 1980, has a lot of current practicing doctors, its only 4 semesters (shorter), and its a lot cheaper !!
    But ever since I told my friends and family...everyone is so negative.

    All I hear is that if I don't go to one of the Big 4 schools...than I will have problems. Everyone says I will have a harder time in clinicals and getting
    residency where I want...or that all top picks go to US students.....and that in the long run the constant struggle will not be worth it and everyone will look down on me being a Spartan graduate.

    They also said what kind of school does not list the clinical hospitals available for clinicals ?? plus...they do not even show you housing options or pictures ?? I looked on the website and that seems true !

    I was sooooo excited about getting the chance to be an MD and now I am so upset and do not know what to do.
    Can anyone help with some positive things ??
    Should I really consider another school ??
    Is the stigma really that bad from other doctors or when trying to get in Residency ??

    Freaked Out !!!
    No body cares where you get your MD from.......IMG are smarter than the average US grad
    All caribbean med school
    ocean side, carib MD 2010 "supras parable"

    "you will get alot more done with a gun and nice talk, than with a gun alone" Al capon

  5. #24
    stephew is offline Moderator Guru 512 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    21,867
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    please do a search on the this topic. the individual did NOT win a nobel prize. the organization he belonged to did. that's like me claiming I'm a multiple prize winner because i work at harvard and harvard has won multiple prizes.
    Steph
    If you get a warning, put on yer manpants and stop whining about it.

  6. #25
    azskeptic's Avatar
    azskeptic is offline Moderator 666 points
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    6,728
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    additional

    Quote Originally Posted by stephew View Post
    please do a search on the this topic. the individual did NOT win a nobel prize. the organization he belonged to did. that's like me claiming I'm a multiple prize winner because i work at harvard and harvard has won multiple prizes.
    The organization also said they didn't know the guy.
    Moderator - State Licensing Forum

    Still skeptical after all these years.
    This is it. There are no hidden meanings.WYSIWYG

    Hidden Content

    Hidden Content

  7. #26
    cahsu2005 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    110
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I think the topic has deviated....

    I am currently a student here.
    There are both good and bad here like most schools. There are many hurdles but the bottom line is that you are able to become a doctor if that is what you wish to do. It is extremely hard work, but Spartan is one of many caribbean schools that give you the opportunity to sit for the STEP 1 without MCAT scores. Also, the Step 1 is the equalizer to compare yourself to US students.
    There are rumors that people look down at you coming from a Caribbean school and it is true in many cases, but once in clinicals all they understand is that you have passed the step 1.
    Residency is another story, and they do accept US students first usually, but if you are well qualified, you will not have trouble finding a match - just study hard and get great USMLE scores.

    Spartan is inexpensive, and does the same job as the other schools, that is why I came here. You have to work hard at any school - but Spartan's downfall is that much of the professors do not teach well and they have lost some amazing professors to other schools. This does not mean that if you work hard you will not make it. Your success is up to how much you are willing to sacrifice - you have all the materials to succeed just pick a school and go with it all the way and don't look back. In the end you will become a doctor if you persevere.

  8. #27
    cahsu2005 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    110
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    ps about the Nobel guy...

    I will have to look into this Nobel Prize guy....I have heard of him from the school and didn't know if the story is false - I have always assumed the truth in it.

    If I don't find anything oh well, if I do find something, ok then.

    In the end, I'm still on my way to becoming a doctor, no regrets.

  9. #28
    sukhtinder is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    969
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    my good friend started at spartanwhen i started at ross. neither of us ever repeated a semester and passed all steps the 1st time.

    he's now in the southeast making $$350k, and graduated a yr before me. youll be fine at spartan unless u wanna goto CA.
    Please un-ban Preppystud, Woodbridge, Bob2k, and Rajpatel, they were the most elite members of valueMD...sbturner is my heroHidden Content

  10. #29
    iaustudent06's Avatar
    iaustudent06 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    NYC, after living past the cows, sheeps, and radioactive chipmunks
    Posts
    348
    Downloads
    9
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    48
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    sorry but...

    Quote Originally Posted by sukhtinder View Post
    youll be fine at spartan unless u wanna goto CA.
    or indiana Medical Licensing Board of Indiana
    or texas THECB > Academic Affairs and Research > Private Colleges and Institutes > Fraudulent Institutions
    EX-IAU student with 221/91 on step 1

  11. #30
    Seminole is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    81
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    lol

    Who puts their real picture on a pub forum, i know that guy. lol What a nerd.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. I got my score report- 234/98!!! So happy I cried from happiness! :)
    By anakarovska in forum USMLE Step 1 Exam Experiences
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-19-2008, 01:26 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-23-2005, 05:59 PM
  3. 19 days
    By sara12 in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 06:48 AM
  4. 6 days
    By kennethhur in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-11-2005, 08:54 AM
  5. 2 more days...
    By snazzy in forum St. Christophers College of Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-30-2003, 02:30 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •