Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    ********* | DM erutuF's Avatar
    ********* | DM erutuF is offline Senior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    604
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Gimme My RAF Already!

    Advertisements



    Damn it. Still no RAF after 2 days. Has anyone else not yet received theirs?

  2. #2
    ace101 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    54
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Still no RAF huh? Awww, poor whatever your name is. I got nottin' to do. Representin' dirty jersey. Later bros.

  3. #3
    Ashram64's Avatar
    Ashram64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    better start to load up some electives already..sucks

  4. #4
    ********* | DM erutuF's Avatar
    ********* | DM erutuF is offline Senior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    604
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Again, no RAF today. What's up with this? I guess it's because the only core I have left to be assigned is Peds. By the same token, I know of folks that were assigned Peds on Monday. Just goes to show you how arbitrary our assignment system is.

    BTW, I can't really schedule electives until I know when I have Peds. The vast majority of places I am applying for electives require students to be in their 4th year (read: completed ALL cores).

    2010: long gone
    2011: now very questionable if I will graduate in time to match.

    Thanks SMU!

  5. #5
    ********* | DM erutuF's Avatar
    ********* | DM erutuF is offline Senior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    604
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So my coordinator tells me today that I won't be able to get a RAF for Peds until potentially December for an April spot. My next core is finished in September. That's a 7 month wait for Peds! That means I am now unable to apply for electives at these hospitals until after December. With 6-9 month waiting periods for those electives, that leaves me with no Green-book electives until at least June of next year.

    Oh, and here's the kicker: I was told I would be dropped from SMU if I don't scrounge up an elective in the mean time. See the Catch-22?

    I'm a good student with no fails on my transcript, did everything on time, aced the Step 1 and yet I still face being dropped. Clinicals are great at good ol' SMU!

  6. #6
    jonasp's Avatar
    jonasp is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    833
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ********* | DM erutuF View Post
    So my coordinator tells me today that I won't be able to get a RAF for Peds until potentially December for an April spot. My next core is finished in September. That's a 7 month wait for Peds! That means I am now unable to apply for electives at these hospitals until after December. With 6-9 month waiting periods for those electives, that leaves me with no Green-book electives until at least June of next year.

    Oh, and here's the kicker: I was told I would be dropped from SMU if I don't scrounge up an elective in the mean time. See the Catch-22?

    I'm a good student with no fails on my transcript, did everything on time, aced the Step 1 and yet I still face being dropped. Clinicals are great at good ol' SMU!
    You can get electives u dont need to wait 7 months. Wyckoff will take u so will a bunch of other clinical sites. Just keep looking. There are places that want u to have completed all your cores but not all do.The smu clinical situation isn't great but the situation is just as bad everywhere else.Get a few electives and perhaps study for and take step 2 that should take up the time.
    Well, he's had it in for me ever since I "kinda" ran over his dog. Actually, replace "kinda" with "repeatedly," and replace "dog" with "son."

    Lionel Hutz

  7. #7
    ********* | DM erutuF's Avatar
    ********* | DM erutuF is offline Senior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    604
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonasp View Post
    You can get electives u dont need to wait 7 months. Wyckoff will take u so will a bunch of other clinical sites. Just keep looking. There are places that want u to have completed all your cores but not all do.The smu clinical situation isn't great but the situation is just as bad everywhere else.Get a few electives and perhaps study for and take step 2 that should take up the time.
    Thanks...I am trying to set up some electives in NY, but it will take some time as I need to fill out that NY Infectious Disease form online before applying, and after applying it will take 2-3 weeks for them to get back to me.

    It's my fault that I didn't forsee this issue and didn't set up some electives earlier for the Fall semester, I'll admit that. I would hate to use up all my elective weeks doing shoddy electives just to take up the time waiting for Peds.

  8. #8
    Ashram64's Avatar
    Ashram64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    best of luck buddy, try to get everything done and make Peds your last rotation!

  9. #9
    azulpanther's Avatar
    azulpanther is offline Moderator 696 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    resident lounge kicking back some chips, donuts and coke
    Posts
    3,105
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ********* | DM erutuF View Post
    Thanks...I am trying to set up some electives in NY, but it will take some time as I need to fill out that NY Infectious Disease form online before applying, and after applying it will take 2-3 weeks for them to get back to me.

    It's my fault that I didn't forsee this issue and didn't set up some electives earlier for the Fall semester, I'll admit that. I would hate to use up all my elective weeks doing shoddy electives just to take up the time waiting for Peds.


    your situation is unfortunate but I know a lot of students that have done quality electives before completing all of their cores.

    I did that infections disease online. It shouldn't take you more than 45 mins. Most of the answers are common sense which we should know already. Maybe 3 of the questions are tricky, but the answers are in the text right above the questions.

    Good luck to you, I'm sure you will be able to find some good electives.

    Here is a good website if you don't already have it

    AAMC: For Medical Students: Extramural Electives Compendium
    St. Matthew's Forum Moderator
    One Love

Similar Threads

  1. Gimme Ten Bucks
    By grandmasterhash in forum AUC Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2009, 08:46 AM
  2. gimme insight .....La UASD
    By Like Mayda in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-24-2009, 07:20 AM
  3. Gimme the DIrty on 3rd semester books
    By gianefiasco in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2007, 09:16 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •