Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Orlando Health

  1. #1
    JTP73 is offline Elite Member 517 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Orlando Health

    Advertisements



    Has anyone done any elective rotations at Orlando Health (formerly Orlando Regional Medical Center)? If so, can you give any insight into how well (or poorly) IMGs are treated. I realize this is rotation-dependent, but generally... Did you enjoy your experience?

    Also, which rotation did you do? Were you able to network and obtain other rotations there (if you wanted to do so)?




  2. #2
    UFTim's Avatar
    UFTim is offline Super Moderator 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Tally, FL
    Posts
    1,540
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP73 View Post
    Has anyone done any elective rotations at Orlando Health (formerly Orlando Regional Medical Center)? If so, can you give any insight into how well (or poorly) IMGs are treated. I realize this is rotation-dependent, but generally... Did you enjoy your experience?

    Also, which rotation did you do? Were you able to network and obtain other rotations there (if you wanted to do so)?
    Scott1981 is a PGY1 Internal Med resident there.
    "Don't Tase Me BRO!" I will not tase, but I will infract.
    There are no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq--Tim Tebow lives in Florida. Hidden Content
    B.S. Exercise Physiology
    Univeristy of Florida 2003
    M.D. St. Matthew's University 2009

    Attending Physician

  3. #3
    JTP73 is offline Elite Member 517 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Trauma Surgery at Orlando Health: overall grade B. Minimal involvement in actual trauma surgery cases. In fact, only went in OR for traumas a few times, and that's because I took the initiative. Spent most of my time on floors with interns--some procedures. Managed 3-4 patients daily. Some time spent in the OR doing gen surg cases. They do everything open. Very few lap cases. ED trauma bay is a great place to be. Hands-on and several per call day. Problem was that you only are on trauma call every 3-5 days. You can call the operator and have your pager turned on at all times. This is what I did and told my chief resident that I would be going to calls whenever possible. Minimal time with attendings. A lot of down time -- have to continually ask for things to do. Nice series of lectures every morning. Arrived 530 AM daily and left around 6 PM on ave. Free parking. Free lunches and breakfast in physician lounge (can only go in with residents/attendings). Free parking on top level of garage. Clinic 2 times/wk. Not very friendly to IMGs, but residents didn't seem to care much. One mid-level from Ross. Another from SMU and Ross=prelims--scrambled in.
    Last edited by JTP73; 09-07-2008 at 07:46 AM.




  4. #4
    Ashram64's Avatar
    Ashram64 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JTP73 View Post
    Trauma Surgery at Orlando Health: overall grade B. Minimal involvement in actual trauma surgery cases. In fact, only went in OR for traumas a few times, and that's because I took the initiative. Spent most of my time on floors with interns--some procedures. Managed 3-4 patients daily. Some time spent in the OR doing gen surg cases. They do everything open. Very few lap cases. ED trauma bay is a great place to be. Hands-on and several per call day. Problem was that you only are on trauma call every 3-5 days. You can call the operator and have your pager turned on at all times. This is what I did and told my chief resident that I would be going to calls whenever possible. Minimal time with attendings. A lot of down time -- have to continually ask for things to do. Nice series of lectures every morning. Arrived 530 AM daily and left around 6 PM on ave. Free parking. Free lunches and breakfast in physician lounge (can only go in with residents/attendings). Free parking on top level of garage. Clinic 2 times/wk. Not very friendly to IMGs, but residents didn't seem to care much. One mid-level from Ross. Another from SMU and Ross=prelims--scrambled in.
    so that's your elective experience. I suppose all electives have tons of downtime.

  5. #5
    JTP73 is offline Elite Member 517 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    1,523
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashram64 View Post
    so that's your elective experience. I suppose all electives have tons of downtime.
    Oh yeah, should have indicated that I posted some brief info of my elective for others who may want to do rotations at this location. Sorry-should have clarified that.




Similar Threads

  1. OB in Orlando
    By Primitive Streak in forum SMU Medical School Clinicals
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-21-2011, 05:04 PM
  2. Anyone need housing in Orlando for Dec?
    By SMUstudentX in forum SMU Medical School Clinicals
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-24-2008, 11:26 AM
  3. Orlando Health
    By JTP73 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-21-2008, 07:52 AM
  4. Orlando good to go
    By smu79 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 06-21-2008, 06:00 PM
  5. Anyone from Orlando?
    By cyril1234 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-07-2003, 08:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •