Sponsored Links
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 78
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: What is the difference between MBBS and MD?

  1. #1
    medahb is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    23
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    What is the difference between MBBS and MD?

    Could anybody tell me the difference between MBBS and MD?
    If one has MBBS, is it equivalent to MD?

  2. #11
    munchies is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Dallas
    Posts
    15
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    wrong thread buddy

    Quote Originally Posted by m ehsan View Post
    hi ia from pakistan . iam planning to get addmision in kyrgyztan state medical acdemy in kyrgyztan. i want to know is it a good college or not.or if i do md there after i can practice in us or uk

  3. #12
    Rad Medicine is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ****_Patel_PT View Post
    WRONG! MBBS=Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery

    It is equivalent to a US MD degree, but all FMG have to go through all the steps and the residency.

    It is NOT a combination of bachelors and masters. (There is no major...all you study are the medical subjects for a longer period of time.) Also there are no multiple choice exams...they are all essay and verbal exams.

    I used to live in India, where they this degree is given to all doctors.
    Hello, I sit on the board of admissions at one of the most sought after Medical Schools in the U.S. and abroad and in NO WAY shape or form is MBBS equivalent to a U.S. MD degree. It is looked upon as a under grad.

    Regards

  4. #13
    thethom is offline Senior Member 517 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    612
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes hello, and I am the Surgeon General of the United States, and I ask you dear "admissions rep" why is it considered by all state medical boards an equivalent medical degree for the purposes of licensure...? The way I see it, as long as a doctor can speak english and practice good medicine, why does it matter what they call their medical degree? What you speak of is akin to persecuting a group of people just because they call their "God" by a different name. A horrendous and mindless act occurring all over the world. Why let yourself and your entire "medical school" operate on a similar doctrine...?
    M.D. RUSM c/o 2009.
    Step 1: 260/99, Step 2CK: 236/98, Step 3: 244/99.
    Family Medicine Residency 2009-2012, Board Certified.
    Sports Medicine Fellowship 20012-2013, Board Certified.
    Adjunct Professor of Family Medicine, UNC-Chapel Hill School of Medicine.
    Currently in private Primary Care Sports Medicine Practice.

  5. #14
    sukhtinder is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    969
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    just watch 'munaa bhai, m.b.b.s' and you will find out.
    Please un-ban Preppystud, Woodbridge, Bob2k, and Rajpatel, they were the most elite members of valueMD...sbturner is my heroHidden Content

  6. #15
    Scorpy_CFS is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The BMBS or MBBS or however you want to arrange the letters is indeed an undergraduate degree. This does not necessarilly mean that it is less than a MD. Where MBBS are granted, there is no tertiary system like the US where one needs to do a general undergraduate degree before applying for a specialist postgrad degree. Australia is another example, where I'm currently studying the MBBS. Here, any undergraduate degree is a specialist qualification except a small few such as Arts, etc. One taking an undergraduate degree in Australia does not do general topics like english, maths or science except where it will be built upon and is necessary for the remainder of the degree. Hence in order to be the Medical head of the Australian Medical Association, the highest qualification you need is the MBBS. We've MDs available but only doctors interested in research will get them as they are doctorates by research only. They certainly aren't necessary and are quite rare in this country, purely because all learning is done at the undergraduate level or though traineeships with a specialist institution. eg, Royal Australian College of Surgeons, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, etc.
    So to sum up, MD sounds better, it's even a better qualification on the prestige ladder, but the fundamental medical skills are still the same whether you've just stepped out of your US MD or your MBBS. It is irrelivant that it is an undergraduate degree because only the US has the 'nothing' degrees at an undergraduate level. Everywhere else uses undergraduate level as specialist training in the chosen field that I'm personally aware of.



  7. #16
    Pantelich is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpy_CFS View Post
    The BMBS or MBBS or however you want to arrange the letters is indeed an undergraduate degree. This does not necessarilly mean that it is less than a MD. Where MBBS are granted, there is no tertiary system like the US where one needs to do a general undergraduate degree before applying for a specialist postgrad degree. Australia is another example, where I'm currently studying the MBBS. Here, any undergraduate degree is a specialist qualification except a small few such as Arts, etc. One taking an undergraduate degree in Australia does not do general topics like english, maths or science except where it will be built upon and is necessary for the remainder of the degree. Hence in order to be the Medical head of the Australian Medical Association, the highest qualification you need is the MBBS. We've MDs available but only doctors interested in research will get them as they are doctorates by research only. They certainly aren't necessary and are quite rare in this country, purely because all learning is done at the undergraduate level or though traineeships with a specialist institution. eg, Royal Australian College of Surgeons, Royal Australian College of General Practitioners, etc.
    So to sum up, MD sounds better, it's even a better qualification on the prestige ladder, but the fundamental medical skills are still the same whether you've just stepped out of your US MD or your MBBS. It is irrelivant that it is an undergraduate degree because only the US has the 'nothing' degrees at an undergraduate level. Everywhere else uses undergraduate level as specialist training in the chosen field that I'm personally aware of.



    I really loved this post. I felt your passion here completely. . Seriously, no sarcasm or ill-meaning.

    I've actually been considering of applying to Australian medical schools in the near future. Seems like it could be a brilliant experience.

  8. #17
    aeonstar is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    2
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ****_Patel_PT View Post
    WRONG! MBBS=Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery

    It is equivalent to a US MD degree, but all FMG have to go through all the steps and the residency.

    It is NOT a combination of bachelors and masters. (There is no major...all you study are the medical subjects for a longer period of time.) Also there are no multiple choice exams...they are all essay and verbal exams.

    I used to live in India, where they this degree is given to all doctors.
    That is not entirely correct. At the University of The West Indies and the University College of London, the exams are multiple choice.

  9. #18
    jabee_usm is offline Elite Member 513 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Miss-Sippi
    Posts
    1,904
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sheesh, I never seen so many different views/ opinions in one thread!
    "I know for sure that what we dwell on is who we become" - Oprah

    Hidden Content Hidden Content

  10. #19
    SanP977 is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by masterwu6 View Post
    I have known some docs who obtained an MBBS degree from African countries, since those medical schools tend to follow the UK model. Yes, the program is 6 years, however, it isn't equivalent to an MD for the purposes of practice in the US. While a graduate with an MBBS can conceivably practice in countries that confer the degree, to practice in the US, those degrees are equivalent to an undergraduate degree and the first 2 years of med school (which is 6 years). Those with an MBBS who wish to practice in the US are required to take all 3 steps, and complete what is equivalent to our clerskhip, before applying for residency.
    **** Patel PT is correct. The M.B.B.S. degree is the equivalent to an M.D. in the United States. Most Indian physicians (I do not know what rules apply to African physicians) are qualified, if not overly qualified, to be resident physicians in both Canada and the United States. They are not required to do clerkships. Very often, they participate in observerships to remain connected to the medical community while studying for the USMLEs. After passing parts I, II, and III, they are eligible to participate in the NRMP (match). Don't make generalizations about foreign degrees. Just because the names are different doesn't mean they are not equal.

  11. #20
    TheMedStudent's Avatar
    TheMedStudent is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    126
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thethom View Post
    Yes hello, and I am the Surgeon General of the United States, and I ask you dear "admissions rep" why is it considered by all state medical boards an equivalent medical degree for the purposes of licensure...? The way I see it, as long as a doctor can speak english and practice good medicine, why does it matter what they call their medical degree? What you speak of is akin to persecuting a group of people just because they call their "God" by a different name. A horrendous and mindless act occurring all over the world. Why let yourself and your entire "medical school" operate on a similar doctrine...?
    Nice response!
    Nothing worth having comes easy.Hidden Content

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Difference between MBBS and MD?
    By ReemaNirwal in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM
  2. Difference Between IMG and FMG
    By gentlegiant3 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 09:09 PM
  3. What is the difference between
    By IMG SURVIVOR in forum USMLE Step 1 Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 02:07 PM
  4. What's the difference?
    By grace in forum The Relaxing Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-31-2005, 10:34 PM
  5. Big difference?
    By TooOld? in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: 12-13-2003, 09:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •