Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    shoshanna is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Students w/families

    Advertisements



    Hello all. I read a couple of older posts about students coming to Ross with kids and/or spouses and SO's. I am considering Ross, am married w/kids. What should I expect if I bring the family? More likely than not, my spouse will not live with me on Dominica full time, but there's a good chance the kids will. Can anyone share their experiences of what it was/is like for the kids on Dominica?


    Shoshanna

  2. #2
    Junito's Avatar
    Junito is offline Super Moderator 512 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    7,216
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Family life

    The best thing to do is to take a mini vacation to Dominica if that is at all possible. I knew of at least three families leaving Ross due to difficulties associated with either the island and/or the Ross administration. Yet I know two other families that enjoy the whole island experience, and are okay. The bottom line is that what may be okay for one family may not be the same experience for another. The day school is nice, my wife worked there and the staff there are wonderful. The class size is small from 2-9 students in a classroom. Hope this helps.

    Juni
    Juni

  3. #3
    Dru
    Dru is offline Super Moderator 512 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    3,098
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    kids

    Another issue of importance is the age of the children. Smaller kids might find the island as an adventure, but teens might regard it as a prison.
    Moderator - Ross University Forum

  4. #4
    shoshanna is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Thanks :)

    Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to hear about the day school, is there a tuition fee? BTW, my kids are both <12 years.


    Shoshanna

  5. #5
    alliecatmd is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    54
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    another thought

    I totally agree with Juni - whats okay for one person or family might not be okay for another. Keep in mind also that heath care here is not as advanced as in the states. Quite a few people I know decided not to have their kids here in case the kids got really sick. But there are pharmacies and doctors and even hospitals...just not what we are used to in the states. All the students here have to have evacuation insurance, for example, in case we get really sick or hurt and they have to fly a plane in to fly us to a more advanced hospital.

    Good Luck

  6. #6
    suktinder is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    65
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: another thought

    Quote Originally Posted by alliecatmd
    I totally agree with Juni - whats okay for one person or family might not be okay for another. Keep in mind also that heath care here is not as advanced as in the states. Quite a few people I know decided not to have their kids here in case the kids got really sick. But there are pharmacies and doctors and even hospitals...just not what we are used to in the states. All the students here have to have evacuation insurance, for example, in case we get really sick or hurt and they have to fly a plane in to fly us to a more advanced hospital.

    Good Luck

    i agree with above, maybe i the kids were 3-4, they could enjoy the filth and dirt that kids like to play with at that age. anything older ide be really weary. just like written above, u have to worry about illness, medical emergencies, and psychological trauma that a dump like dominica can cause someone that is young and impressionable. remember, no malls, theaters, or any recreational activity for children. as an adult, 2 yrs is short and will fly by, for a child, it can seem like an eternity.

    if u can, goto AUC, or SMU, where there is civilization, good luck!

  7. #7
    toss_ross is offline Newbie
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Ross sucks!

    Also the administration are horrible! They make you feel comfortable at first but once they have your money, your on your own.

  8. #8
    wolfvgang22 is offline Moderator 514 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    3,590
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: another thought

    Quote Originally Posted by suktinder
    psychological trauma that a dump like dominica can cause someone that is young and impressionable. remember, no malls, theaters, or any recreational activity for children. as an adult, 2 yrs is short and will fly by, for a child, it can seem like an eternity.
    so that's why my grandparents were so screwed up...it used to be like that here in the USA, too, to hear them tell it.
    Saba University School of Medicine, Class of 2009
    Diplomate, American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    The ugly truth

    The fact is that most spouses cheat. I know this personally. They get bored and feel ignored ESPECIALLY in sem 3 or 4, start drinking, usually at lillys chinese place or perkys in the afternoon and pick up underclassmen. Just keep her happy and make sure everything in your bed is yours if you get me. Again, I say this from experience.

  10. #10
    shoshanna is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    24
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Re: The ugly truth

    Quote Originally Posted by jenscolasbutthole
    The fact is that most spouses cheat. I know this personally. They get bored and feel ignored ESPECIALLY in sem 3 or 4, start drinking, usually at lillys chinese place or perkys in the afternoon and pick up underclassmen. Just keep her happy and make sure everything in your bed is yours if you get me. Again, I say this from experience.
    What???? Spouses cheat with their spouses classmates? How foul...what about cheating with the locals? Is this happening too? The last thing I need is to try to get a medical education on "Temptation Island"!!!

Similar Threads

  1. How do students with families do it?
    By Hummelcool in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-03-2010, 09:53 AM
  2. Students with families
    By gracie22 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-08-2006, 10:46 AM
  3. STUDENTS WITH FAMILIES
    By shiggy in forum UNIBE and Dominican Medical Schools
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-03-2005, 01:31 PM
  4. Any students with families?
    By shlentine in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 08:48 PM
  5. Students with families
    By footdoc in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2004, 05:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •