Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Ross EMS

  1. #1
    LostInMyShortCoat is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Roseville, Ca
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Ross EMS

    Advertisements



    I saw somewhere on Ross's website a blurb about the EMS system on the island and students that are certified in the states being able to work on the island in that capacity. Does anyone know anything more about this?

  2. #2
    medic300107's Avatar
    medic300107 is offline Supermedic Moderator 10497 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, USA
    Posts
    6,320
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LostInMyShortCoat View Post
    I saw somewhere on Ross's website a blurb about the EMS system on the island and students that are certified in the states being able to work on the island in that capacity. Does anyone know anything more about this?
    Ross does have Ross EMS. I was a supervisor. If you were a medic than you may be able to be a supervisor, basic or intermediates are always needed too though. Basically you work as an EMT for the campus and surrounding houses. Ross has it's own ambulance now for transports and you work with the health clinic doctors. They are on call from 5p-8a on weeknights and all day weekends. BLS does usually 3-4 shifts a semester. Supervisors take call for 1 week at a time, usually total of 3 weeks/ semester. You get a small stipend at the end of your time on the island. If you have any other ? please let me know.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Ross Forum Moderator/Supermedic Moderator - Board Certified EM

  3. #3
    LostInMyShortCoat is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Roseville, Ca
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thanks for the info. I realized after posting that my EMT is actually expired, so they would probably would have to be pretty desperate to get hired on. I've worked as an ER Tech for the last 6 years in Level II Trauma Centers as well as a Heart & Stroke Center, so the knowledge is certainly there, but the expiration date on a little piece of paper just isn't. Oh well, ill check it out once I get to the island. If it happens great and if not, I understand.

    Did the time requirement for the job ever infringe on study time? Or are the shifts distributed lightly enough/call volume low enough that it wasn't a huge issue?

    Thanks for your time!

  4. #4
    medic300107's Avatar
    medic300107 is offline Supermedic Moderator 10497 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, USA
    Posts
    6,320
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LostInMyShortCoat View Post
    Thanks for the info. I realized after posting that my EMT is actually expired, so they would probably would have to be pretty desperate to get hired on. I've worked as an ER Tech for the last 6 years in Level II Trauma Centers as well as a Heart & Stroke Center, so the knowledge is certainly there, but the expiration date on a little piece of paper just isn't. Oh well, ill check it out once I get to the island. If it happens great and if not, I understand.

    Did the time requirement for the job ever infringe on study time? Or are the shifts distributed lightly enough/call volume low enough that it wasn't a huge issue?

    Thanks for your time!
    Expired EMT is usually ok as long as it's not like 10 years. There are no EMS laws in Dominica really.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Ross Forum Moderator/Supermedic Moderator - Board Certified EM

  5. #5
    LostInMyShortCoat is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Roseville, Ca
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but are you implying that my vast working knowledge of MAST pants and a Lifepak 4 isn't going to be very useful? If I seem to remember correctly, putting one hand in cold water and the other hand in hot water is a good cure for urinary retention, right?

  6. #6
    medic300107's Avatar
    medic300107 is offline Supermedic Moderator 10497 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Somewhere, USA
    Posts
    6,320
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LostInMyShortCoat View Post
    I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but are you implying that my vast working knowledge of MAST pants and a Lifepak 4 isn't going to be very useful? If I seem to remember correctly, putting one hand in cold water and the other hand in hot water is a good cure for urinary retention, right?
    Haha nice.
    Hidden Content Hidden Content

    Ross Forum Moderator/Supermedic Moderator - Board Certified EM

Similar Threads

  1. How Valuemd conspire with Ross University to censor any allegation against Ross
    By green1999 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 82
    Last Post: 10-24-2013, 04:19 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-19-2005, 01:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •