Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39
  1. #1
    superpatient is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    the new MacBook, MacBook usage at Ross

    Advertisements



    The new uni-body aluminum 13.3' MacBook just dropped today, and now it's thrown a serious curve ball in my debate on which laptop to buy.
    I was just wondering if Ross students have had any problems so far with MacBooks, i.e. how it runs with any software that Ross uses with students (mediasite?), wireless capabilities, etc.? Have you guys been installing Windows XP on your MacBooks or just running the apple OS?

    I ran a search and MacBook users at the other islands seem to be having no problems with any software issues,etc. but since my goal is to study at Ross, I hope that some MacBook users at Ross could also provide their opinions. thank you!

  2. #2
    911Med's Avatar
    911Med is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Dominica by way of La Jolla, CA
    Posts
    549
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I updated my PowerBook G4 - sort of pimped it out. I start Jan '09. I will keep you posted.

  3. #3
    Synophrys's Avatar
    Synophrys is offline Member 651 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Your Moms house
    Posts
    330
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    regardless of the packaging apple wraps their shiny products in, you still have to deal with the fact that you just purchased a MAC.

    Buy a PC and save your money. The aluminum casing will probably corode down here, and the "mac printing" will still never work.

    Personally, I prefer to use my speak and spell. It's a polycarbonate casing with an integrated display and keyboard. Sure the screen is orange and it only does one function, but I never liked playing orgen trail anyway. I always die of dysentary and lose my supplies forging the river. I'm not paying for no ferry to take me.

    PC 4 LIFE!!
    Last edited by Synophrys; 10-14-2008 at 06:36 PM. Reason: spelling error

  4. #4
    theayatollah is offline Junior Member 49 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    32
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by superpatient View Post
    The new uni-body aluminum 13.3' MacBook just dropped today, and now it's thrown a serious curve ball in my debate on which laptop to buy.
    I was just wondering if Ross students have had any problems so far with MacBooks, i.e. how it runs with any software that Ross uses with students (mediasite?), wireless capabilities, etc.? Have you guys been installing Windows XP on your MacBooks or just running the apple OS?

    I ran a search and MacBook users at the other islands seem to be having no problems with any software issues,etc. but since my goal is to study at Ross, I hope that some MacBook users at Ross could also provide their opinions. thank you!
    A mac is an inferior computer designed for people who do not know how to use computers / electronics and are too ignorant / stupid to learn how to operate a PC. Buy a Lenovo tablet and you won't regret your purchase.

  5. #5
    wecandothisallday is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Seriously, we really can.
    Posts
    78
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theayatollah View Post
    A mac is an inferior computer designed for people who do not know how to use computers / electronics and are too ignorant / stupid to learn how to operate a PC. Buy a Lenovo tablet and you won't regret your purchase.
    WOW, are we seriously going to to turn this into a PC vs Mac debate...

    Now, to actually ANSWER the question of the OP. Here's the thing: I have both a tablet PC and a mac here at Ross. I like the mac much more because it is stable, fast, reliable and OS X has a cleaner look than windows. However, there are downsides. 1)From what I understand you cannot print from a mac on campus (I've never tried to figure out a work around so if someone knows how please share) 2) you can't double speed on mediasite


    Both problems I expect will eventually have a fix, but who know how long that will take. Despite these drawbacks... I'd still say buy a mac. And this is coming from somebody who has a fairly strong IT background (AKA not "too ignorant and stupid to learn to use a PC".

    The other nice thing about mac is you can still run windows if you want to using bootcamp or parallels. And if you are in the market for a tablet (which I would very highly recommend) rumor has it that apple is coming out with one in the near future... so I'd hold out for that. I know I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out.

    Hope this helps
    Last edited by wecandothisallday; 10-14-2008 at 07:56 PM.
    "This serious business. OK? Are you listening? This no joke."

  6. #6
    Mustango's Avatar
    Mustango is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Coco Islands
    Posts
    489
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wouldn't go for a decked out laptop if I were you...

  7. #7
    DOC.p's Avatar
    DOC.p is offline Super Moderator 7191 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    5,843
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    well since we're doing a mac vs pc debate, may i add linux into the mix?
    M.D.

  8. #8
    theayatollah is offline Junior Member 49 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    32
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DOCplucinski View Post
    well since we're doing a mac vs pc debate, may i add linux into the mix?
    Linux is by far the best OS. I dual boot vista and ubuntu 8.10

  9. #9
    superpatient is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wecandothisallday View Post
    WOW, are we seriously going to to turn this into a PC vs Mac debate...

    Now, to actually ANSWER the question of the OP. Here's the thing: I have both a tablet PC and a mac here at Ross. I like the mac much more because it is stable, fast, reliable and OS X has a cleaner look than windows. However, there are downsides. 1)From what I understand you cannot print from a mac on campus (I've never tried to figure out a work around so if someone knows how please share) 2) you can't double speed on mediasite


    Both problems I expect will eventually have a fix, but who know how long that will take. Despite these drawbacks... I'd still say buy a mac. And this is coming from somebody who has a fairly strong IT background (AKA not "too ignorant and stupid to learn to use a PC".

    The other nice thing about mac is you can still run windows if you want to using bootcamp or parallels. And if you are in the market for a tablet (which I would very highly recommend) rumor has it that apple is coming out with one in the near future... so I'd hold out for that. I know I'll definitely be buying it when it comes out.

    Hope this helps
    Haha wow, the pc vs. mac situation always creates a war, but
    thanks for the answers wecandothisallday. That on-campus printing issue with the mac sounds agitating. Has anyone been able to come up with a solution to that?

    It seems like many are recommending Tablet PC's. I've had a desktop all my life so this is my first journey into portable computing, why are the tablet PC's recommended over regular notebooks/laptops? Is it based on the ability to write/interact with the tablet screen with a stylus? Does that play a significant role in applications at Ross?

  10. #10
    superpatient is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    37
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustango View Post
    I wouldn't go for a decked out laptop if I were you...
    .....why? do people get their decked out laptops jacked on the island? or are you implying something about the cost/value of a laptop purchase?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Need a MACBOOK charger!
    By priyal7288 in forum AUC Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2010, 02:48 PM
  2. Macbook Help
    By Mazharud in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-04-2009, 04:21 PM
  3. New Macbook
    By AMO in forum AUC Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 05:42 PM
  4. Does anyone use an iMac or MacBook?
    By pmtdenna in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2006, 05:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •