Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    DR.DREW'81 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    BETTER CLINICALS - Ross vs. AUC

    Advertisements



    I know that both schools have about the same affiliated hospitals but I understand that setting up Clinicals through Ross's Clinical Program seems to be really unorganized and a big pain in the ...
    Is this true?
    Is AUC more organized when it comes to setting up your clinicals?

  2. #2
    anencephalic's Avatar
    anencephalic is offline Brainless Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,018
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.DREW'81 View Post
    I know that both schools have about the same affiliated hospitals but I understand that setting up Clinicals through Ross's Clinical Program seems to be really unorganized and a big pain in the ...
    Is this true?
    Is AUC more organized when it comes to setting up your clinicals?
    Unless the folks at Ross have attended AUC and vice versa, no one will have any first-hand knowledge regarding setting up clincals.

    I will say that I've rotated with AUC, SGU, & Ross students. SGU seems to have their act together in placing their students. Rossies with higher scores have easier access to sites like Kern in Bakersfield, CA. AUC's clinical department was a wreck back in 2004, but has shaped up and is willing to accommodate your specific request for preferred sites IF you have the time to wait.

    Other than that, how's your research for transferring to AUC going?

    Quote Originally Posted by DR.DREW'81 View Post
    I wish I did more research of Caribbean Medical Schools before I came to Ross. Now, I am a second semester at Ross and I need a way to get off this island. Does AUC accept transfers from Ross? If so, do I have to start over or just pick up where I left off?
    Any input helps

  3. #3
    Daniel is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    737
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Those of you that were at Wyckoff early last year may know who I am talking about. There were 2 brothers...I think one was doing GI and the other was doing IM or OB/Gyn core at the time...not sure.

    In any case, one was from Ross and the other was from AUC. How messed up is Ross clinicals? The Ross brother actually started earlier (Sept 2002) but the AUC brother graduated earlier because AUC was able to get him his cores and electives back to back and hand in all paperwork on time. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances...who knows? But if you believe in Occam's Razor...that with all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the best one.....then it does not take a genius to figure out that the Ross brother had PP as his "advisor" and that alone might have done him in.

    So even if there was a "wreck" in AUC clinicals in 2003, 2004, 2005...it was still much better than Ross clinicals.
    Last edited by Daniel; 06-16-2007 at 02:49 PM.

  4. #4
    DR.DREW'81 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Still waiting on AUC Administration to email me back with specific info. I am not lookin forward to doing 5th semester at either Miami or Dominica. Both seem frustrating. I would rather spend the next three semesters at a Med school that is more organized and cares about their students b/c Ross doesnt.

  5. #5
    anencephalic's Avatar
    anencephalic is offline Brainless Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,018
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DR.DREW'81 View Post
    Still waiting on AUC Administration to email me back with specific info. I would rather spend the next three semesters at a Med school that is more organized and cares about their students b/c Ross doesnt.
    Ah, yes. The grass is always greener, but I wouldn't go so far as to say AUC "cares" for its' students...

  6. #6
    BrotherMan's Avatar
    BrotherMan is offline Senior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Glen Allen, Virginia
    Posts
    630
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    AUC does not have the problems that ross has. They get their core rotations completed in the third year, and they are scheduled back to back with few, if any gaps. Contrast that to us poor rossies who have significant gaps between cores, and there are students who are in their fourth year who have yet to complete cores. I, myself, had to go back to dominica because of the lack of pediatrics cores in the states. Other students have done the same thing.
    But when I start to feel that pull, turns out I just pulled myself-Weezer

    Ah, you don't want to deal with patients- Words of a wise pathologist

  7. #7
    Shah_Patel_PT's Avatar
    Shah_Patel_PT is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,441
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel View Post
    Those of you that were at Wyckoff early last year may know who I am talking about. There were 2 brothers...I think one was doing GI and the other was doing IM or OB/Gyn core at the time...not sure.

    In any case, one was from Ross and the other was from AUC. How messed up is Ross clinicals? The Ross brother actually started earlier (Sept 2002) but the AUC brother graduated earlier because AUC was able to get him his cores and electives back to back and hand in all paperwork on time. Maybe there were extenuating circumstances...who knows? But if you believe in Occam's Razor...that with all things being equal, the simplest explanation tends to be the best one.....then it does not take a genius to figure out that the Ross brother had PP as his "advisor" and that alone might have done him in.

    So even if there was a "wreck" in AUC clinicals in 2003, 2004, 2005...it was still much better than Ross clinicals.
    Keep in mind that Ross makes students spend more time in clinicals than any other caribbean school including SGU. As a result it has to "fit in" that many more students for a longer time.

    FYI: 90 semester credits are required in year 3 and 4 at Ross (includes AICM)

    AUC has around ~78 credits required.
    Attending Physician

  8. #8
    AUCMD2006's Avatar
    AUCMD2006 is offline Ultimate Member 6129 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    6,062
    Downloads
    6
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    another reason

    Quote Originally Posted by ****_Patel_PT View Post
    Keep in mind that Ross makes students spend more time in clinicals than any other caribbean school including SGU. As a result it has to "fit in" that many more students for a longer time.

    FYI: 90 semester credits are required in year 3 and 4 at Ross (includes AICM)

    AUC has around ~78 credits required.
    and yet another reason NOt to attend Ross...hehe

    AUC is 72 weeks of clinicals but your Ross number is a little misleading for newbies isn't it? I mean it would be significant and meaningful if were actually 90 weeks of hospital rotations but 12 weeks, as you pointed out, of those 90 are 5th semester AICM in Miami (auc and sgu do not count the 5th semester as 'clinical training' probably because its done on campus)

    so i could actually say that AUC required me to do 88 weeks of clinical training ..hey now that intro to medicine is incorporated starting 2nd semester maybe the school should advertise that they require 136 weeks of 'clinical medicine credits'.....

    given the fact that those 12 weeks are ACM and the equivalent of AUC's and SGU's 5th semester on island the real number to use for comparison is:

    - 78 clinical weeks for Ross vs 72 clinical weeks for AUC

    so 6 more weeks of hospital rotations...yes it is more but not enough to account for the problems people are complaining about i mean it really isn't that difficult to get a few more weeks of electives is it?
    AUCMD2006
    Bored Certified

  9. #9
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11644 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,099
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUCMD2006 View Post
    given the fact that those 12 weeks are ACM and the equivalent of AUC's and SGU's 5th semester on island the real number to use for comparison is:

    - 78 clinical weeks for Ross vs 72 clinical weeks for AUC
    sgu's is 80 weeks in the hospital (not counting 5/6th terms).

    plus it sounds as if the problem is with CORES at Ross, not the total amount of rotations and we all do the same number of cores.
    Last edited by rokshana; 06-22-2007 at 06:08 AM.
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  10. #10
    cavalletti is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    1,676
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AUCMD2006 View Post
    and yet another reason NOt to attend Ross...hehe

    Given the fact that those 12 weeks are ACM and the equivalent of AUC's and SGU's 5th semester on island the real number to use for comparison is:

    - 78 clinical weeks for Ross vs 72 clinical weeks for AUC

    so 6 more weeks of hospital rotations...yes it is more but not enough to account for the problems people are complaining about i mean it really isn't that difficult to get a few more weeks of electives is it?
    Why would Ross require it's students to do more electives than required for licensing? Maybe there is a solution to the clinical back-log here. If Ross were to drop the extra 6 weeks, students could graduate earlier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Ross clinicals
    By santana12 in forum Ross University Clinical Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-22-2010, 06:25 PM
  2. Is SGU going to be like Ross clinicals?
    By elaken in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 10-20-2008, 05:47 PM
  3. about ross clinicals...
    By bgnj in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 06:27 PM
  4. BETTER CLINICALS - Ross vs. AUC
    By DR.DREW'81 in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 06-21-2007, 02:16 PM
  5. Clinicals: SGU vs. Ross
    By agentbond316 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 04:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •