Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 1414
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Interview

  1. #1
    GumpyChump is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    38
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Interview

    Hello All,

    For those that have upcoming interviews, I wanted to share my experience. I interviewed a few days ago at the California office with *************. Before I had my interview I was a little afraid because I had heard that other people did not have a good experience with ***********. Well, let me tell you. My interview was great because ***************is a very friendly man. He greeted me with a smile and asked me if I wanted any water or coffee. During the whole interview he was very nice and thorough as well. I started out with a video and then sat down for the interview. In total my interview was about 1 1/2 hours.

    First he asked me a little about my family. We then spoke a little about my hobbies and what I like to do. After that we went through all the information that I had written in my application. I was asked to explain my volunteer and work experiences. We went over my academic records. The last part of the interview were some ethical questions and the interview ended with my questions.

    Here are some specific questions I was asked:

    1. Why do you want to become a doctor?
    2. Where do you think the future of medicine is going?
    3. What do you think about the HMO issue?
    4. What is your opinion of assisted suicide?
    5. What would you do if you had a patient who asked you to assist them in ending their life?
    6. How do you plan on paying for your education?
    7. What area of medicine do you have in mind?
    8. What kind of relationship do you want to have with your patients?

    In all, the interview was very thorough and I was impressed. Now all there is to do is wait. I was told it would take about 4 weeks for me to find out the final decision.

    Good luck to everyone!

    ~Gumpy


    *************=edited by moderator due to user posting indivual's personal name
    Last edited by Dru; 09-24-2005 at 08:18 PM.

  2. #21
    McGillGrad's Avatar
    McGillGrad is offline Permanently Banned 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,476
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    Quote Originally Posted by BelleStarr
    So off subject but that would be Gin and Juice. I have a "country-fied" version on a cd a friend gave me as a gift one year. Never have found out who sings it. Once you listen to it its hard to get it out of your mind.

    **
    WHAT! You do not recognize who sings that?

    Please tell me you were not born in the 80s!

  3. #22
    sukhtinder is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    969
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i had like a 2.2 GPA, and no MCAT... and i'm proud! dumbbuttses unite!
    Please un-ban Preppystud, Woodbridge, Bob2k, and Rajpatel, they were the most elite members of valueMD...sbturner is my heroHidden Content

  4. #23
    BelleStarr's Avatar
    BelleStarr is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    16
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Hanging Head in Shame

    Quote Originally Posted by McGillGrad
    WHAT! You do not recognize who sings that?

    Please tell me you were not born in the 80s!
    Nope not in the 80's but only a few years earlier. And no sadly I do not recognize who sings it - please enlighten this poor shamed music inept flunky. But I did get the song name righ, right?

    **
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
    safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
    sideways, chocolate in one hand, margarita in the other, body thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

  5. #24
    McGillGrad's Avatar
    McGillGrad is offline Permanently Banned 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,476
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BelleStarr
    Nope not in the 80's but only a few years earlier. And no sadly I do not recognize who sings it - please enlighten this poor shamed music inept flunky. But I did get the song name righ, right?

    **
    The song is absolutely right but the singer is no other than the multifaceted Snoop Dog.

  6. #25
    cooli is offline Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    401
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by McGillGrad
    The song is absolutely right but the singer is no other than the multifaceted Snoop Dog.
    Actually, when "gin and juice" came out he was Snoop Doggy Dog not Snoop Dog.

  7. #26
    McGillGrad's Avatar
    McGillGrad is offline Permanently Banned 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,476
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cooli
    Actually, when "gin and juice" came out he was Snoop Doggy Dog not Snoop Dog.
    I was speaking in the present tense.

  8. #27
    justdoit's Avatar
    justdoit is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    gin and juice

    Quote Originally Posted by BelleStarr
    Nope not in the 80's but only a few years earlier. And no sadly I do not recognize who sings it - please enlighten this poor shamed music inept flunky. But I did get the song name righ, right?

    **
    Good going BelleStarr.....I'm impressed! You still get the bonus points because I did only ask for the name of the song. I guess the bonus bonus points go to Cooli for getting his name right. Actually his name has evolved.....it started out as snoop doggy dogg, to snoop dogg, now I hear it's just dogg. You know you've hit the big time when it's just "dogg".

    But I have to deduct points for the spelling .....don't forget that's
    d-o-double-g.

    Gin my only vice....the one thing that keeps me from being true buddist.
    It's a Zen life....live, laugh, love, and be happy!

    We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
    -Sam Keen, from To Love and Be Loved

  9. #28
    justdoit's Avatar
    justdoit is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny22
    thanks for the reply by the way



    ok so here's my breakdown (looking at my med app for ross)
    the 2.53 was incorrect- it was a guess regarding credits i had transferred back to my school- it's actually 2.465:
    science gpa:2.09 (but before you recoil in disgust-my science gpa in first year was 4.36 this is on a 4.5 scale); durring my second and third year i faced certain family situations, my head wasn't in the books- i failed 18 credit hours, was super depressed and miserable. I was super cocky in my second year, i decided to take biochemistry and organic chemistry at the same time- the biochem labs were MURDER... it was a totally disheartening experience, I started to not really care anymore. I pretty much set myself up for failure by not seeking academic advising and my work-load was rediculus because i also was working at a job part-time. It was the lack of time management and dealing with stress that paved this road to hell...
    in my fourth year, i was back on track: more structured, organised, time better managed- it was difficult to remain positive after falling off so hard.
    but through-out the four years i was involved with inner-city youth organizations, disaster relief/foriegn aid groups, i worked as a volunteer receptionist at a medical clinic, and also volunteered with Cancer Care.
    My other re-course would be to apply to St. Christopher's in England or to a certain school in Ireland that looks primarily at mcat scores (must be between 22-36); i wrote the August 2004 MCAT (my first and only time writing it) and got a passing score of 25M. I was working full time, and studied whenever I could... but I'm thinking I should probably enroll in a class for the MCAT, take time off work, and really focus on it. Then I'm probably giong to enroll back in university and under the direction of academic advising try to at least get back up to a 3.0 if possible...but I'm just sick of undergrad and the medschools in Ireland and the UK are looking more and more promising because as a Canadian student- If i wanted to practice in Canada there'd be less of a problem because the cma recognizes those institutions...
    the bonus of ross tho is that i have family friends who go there, one of which is on the Dean's honour list, the other is getting ready to write the USMLE step 3 or has written it (not sure)- basically i've gotten the low down on how to succeed in that environment and am looking forward at the opportunity to do so but there's that gpa that stands in my way...
    what to do?
    You're right that's not a very good science gpa....whew! Here's what I suggest, I don't know how old you are, but if you're still young (relatively speaking) you have nothing to lose by just applying to certain schools to see what will happen. If you don't get in they can tell you what you need to do to improve you stats. Know what schools you're applying to in the Caribbean for they vary on their admissions requirements......some are more strict than others. Better yet if you don't want to waste the application fee call them and tell them everything you've said here. There's a range some schools (Ross being one of them) look at for gpa and MCAT scores, but other things are taken into consideration on a case by case basis. You really can't get your answer for that here. Sorry.
    It's a Zen life....live, laugh, love, and be happy!

    We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
    -Sam Keen, from To Love and Be Loved

  10. #29
    Manny22's Avatar
    Manny22 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    445
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    yup

    Quote Originally Posted by justdoit
    You're right that's not a very good science gpa....whew! Here's what I suggest, I don't know how old you are, but if you're still young (relatively speaking) you have nothing to lose by just applying to certain schools to see what will happen. If you don't get in they can tell you what you need to do to improve you stats. Know what schools you're applying to in the Caribbean for they vary on their admissions requirements......some are more strict than others. Better yet if you don't want to waste the application fee call them and tell them everything you've said here. There's a range some schools (Ross being one of them) look at for gpa and MCAT scores, but other things are taken into consideration on a case by case basis. You really can't get your answer for that here. Sorry.
    i did just that today, ironically, but they said that my pre-med gpa makes me competative (being 3.67) and they said that with my mcat score of 25 it shouldn't hurt to apply... so im gonna rely on the following:
    1. pre med gpa
    2. mcat because last semester's average (according to someone i spoke to on the phone briefly) was 21
    3. my reference letters: one from a medical doctor, another from a philathropic organization i was heavily involved with- and yes... even an academic letter (either from a lab instructor in ecto-parasites who got to know me and my interests very well from some good conversations, and who also observed my study habits- or from my ethics in medicine and law prof- we don't have a pre-med comittee) because my gpa was a 4.0 in my first year then in second n third i blew it failing three full-year courses from lack of attendance/interest (i had no academic advising) but around fourth i pulled myself out of that rut with some A's but mostly B's yet not enuf to raise my science gpa... if anything that science gpa is gonna do me in if my cummulative on its own doesn't... regardless im treating this as if it were a domestic university (the med school in my province)...

  11. #30
    justdoit's Avatar
    justdoit is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    309
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Manny22
    i did just that today, ironically, but they said that my pre-med gpa makes me competative (being 3.67) and they said that with my mcat score of 25 it shouldn't hurt to apply... so im gonna rely on the following:
    1. pre med gpa
    2. mcat because last semester's average (according to someone i spoke to on the phone briefly) was 21
    3. my reference letters: one from a medical doctor, another from a philathropic organization i was heavily involved with- and yes... even an academic letter (either from a lab instructor in ecto-parasites who got to know me and my interests very well from some good conversations, and who also observed my study habits- or from my ethics in medicine and law prof- we don't have a pre-med comittee) because my gpa was a 4.0 in my first year then in second n third i blew it failing three full-year courses from lack of attendance/interest (i had no academic advising) but around fourth i pulled myself out of that rut with some A's but mostly B's yet not enuf to raise my science gpa... if anything that science gpa is gonna do me in if my cummulative on its own doesn't... regardless im treating this as if it were a domestic university (the med school in my province)...
    Good luck! I hope you make it!
    It's a Zen life....live, laugh, love, and be happy!

    We come to love not by finding a perfect person, but by learning to see an imperfect person perfectly.
    -Sam Keen, from To Love and Be Loved

Page 3 of 142 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Recent interview or Upcoming Interview?
    By drjds in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
  2. Interview for Med School Vs. Interview for Residency Position
    By Batman007 in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-24-2006, 05:41 PM
  3. length of time between scheduling an interview and having the interview
    By Broadwaymspiggy in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2006, 04:49 PM
  4. Which: California Interview or Florida Interview
    By brown12222 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 01:59 AM
  5. Regarding Interview, if Accepted on phone interview do we have to give our answer at
    By Dontknow in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 04:37 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •