Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: Stay or go?

  1. #1
    orthomodel is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Stay or go?

    Advertisements



    Hi everyone,
    Iíve actually been perusing this site for a few months. Iíve decided to throw my own dilemma out there.

    I got accepted to Ross 2 months ago for the May 06 semester. I decided to defer my enrollment because my dad was not going to be able to supplement my Stafford loans in time and Iím not really in a good position financially to take out private loans on my own. I didnít want to wait until Jan 07 but I got deferred until then anyway as the fall 06 class is was too full for deferments.

    So I decided that if I was gonna have to wait 8 months to start school, I might as well apply to a few US schools again since I sent my applications in right at the deadline this year for all the schools I applied to which is obviously too late to have a good shot at acceptance. I graduated in Ď01 with a ** in math and a 3.5 gpa and I took all my prereqs and also took biochem and anatomy (I wanted to get used to working on a cadaver). I also worked in a hospital for a year and have some life experience since Iíve been out of school for a few years. I took the MCAT a few times and got a 22 which was frustrating because while my VR went from a 5 to a 9, my ** and PS went from 8 to 5 and 6 respectively. I guess I was too concerned with reading freakin passages than I was with organic reactions. *sigh* Sorry to go off topic, but I really hate that test.

    I know yaíll are probably like ďhow does she think she can get into a US school with those scores?Ē Well there are a few schools in Puerto Rico that I might be qualified for and I do speak some Spanish. So I was going to take some Spanish classes during the summer and fall and apply to the med schools in June in PR and a few state schools that I didnít apply to before and maybe some others. I figured that since I was applying so early I would hear back before it was time to go to Ross. And I would also have more time to fix my finances in case my Dad flaked out on me again.
    Well that was the plan until yesterday when I got an email saying that I could start in the Fall if I wanted.

    So should I go to Ross this fall? Iím only considering it because Iím not getting any younger and part of me doesnít want wait, or worse regret deferring my admission to apply to schools that I might not get into. But on the other hand I could use the time to cover my behind financially since my Dad is on his own time frame and heíll probably send my school check late no matter what semester I start. And I was really excited about going to Ross a few months ago, but now I guess Iím starting to get a little nervous about all the obstacles that lie ahead (Rely On Self Study, huge classes, island life, may or may not get clinicals I want in a timely manner, no home base to get support from, etc.). So if I have any chance at all to get into a US school I want to take it. And if I do get into one that frees up a spot for someone else to go to Ross. And please, ďdo a searchĒ ainít gonna work this time (and now that Iíve just said that someone will undoubtedly tell me to do that); I already did one and came up with nada. So thatís my deal. Discuss.

    Oh and yes as the name suggests I am interested in ortho and yes I do know how hard it is to get into, which makes deciding what to do all the more frustrating. And Iím sorry but I donít subscribe to that whole ďYour MCAT predicts your USMLE scoreĒ business. I plan on busting my **** and thatís all there is to it. The MCAT exposed my weaknesses and Iím not one to keep making the same mistakes. Sorry, Iíll get off my soapbox now. Discuss. Ha!

    (I just previewed this post and its hella long, if you got this far, thanks for reading!)

  2. #2
    McGillGrad's Avatar
    McGillGrad is offline Permanently Banned 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,476
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Okay, long read, but in general I would go through a full round of US applications after taking a Kaplan class and getting a 30 on the MCAT. Then try for the Caribbean.

  3. #3
    brob311's Avatar
    brob311 is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    752
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree w/ Mcgill Grad...take the MCAT's again. They really do mean a whole lot in the US admissions process regardless of your second language. You should also look into US DO schools. You have the numbers to possibly get in there.

    Viel GlŁck!
    Reese Bobby: "Real simple, son! Cops are coming! There's a kilo of Colombian bam-bam under the car. Time to be a man. You got hair on your peaches or what?"

  4. #4
    orthomodel is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Even after 4 times?

    I've taken the MCAT 4 times already, 4/01, 8/01, 8/02, & 4/05. Wouldn't taking it a 5th time hurt my chances?

  5. #5
    sarahtarah's Avatar
    sarahtarah is offline Senior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,111
    Downloads
    16
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    honestly since you've already applied to us med schools, i'd wait it out. youre garunteed a spot in ROss for jan, why rush it and hurt yourself financially?

    by waiting you get your financial stuff in order, and see if you might maybe hopefully get a chance at a us med school.

    good luck
    If you want to do something, then you will find a way.
    If you want to do nothing, then you will find an excuse.

    Hidden Content

  6. #6
    sukhtinder is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    969
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so are you a model?
    Please un-ban Preppystud, Woodbridge, Bob2k, and Rajpatel, they were the most elite members of valueMD...sbturner is my heroHidden Content

  7. #7
    Ms.SS1984 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    35
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    wow...4 times...u know they're changing it after august, mcat will be 4.5 hours and on computer...

  8. #8
    Daemonavi is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i think she should definitely wait it out. if you got a chance in US med school then you should definitely give it a shot. afterall... like sarah said.. you are already garunteed a seat at ross for jan '07.

  9. #9
    McGillGrad's Avatar
    McGillGrad is offline Permanently Banned 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,476
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by orthomodel
    I've taken the MCAT 4 times already, 4/01, 8/01, 8/02, & 4/05. Wouldn't taking it a 5th time hurt my chances?
    If you have taken it four times and haven't done well then it might be time to face the fact that you may not be destined to do well on the MCAT and move on to Ross.

  10. #10
    orthomodel is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Not taking it again...

    McGill, I was not planning on taking the MCAT again. As I said in my original post, the schools in PR have lower MCAT averages which is why I wanted to apply there. I speak enough spanish to go to those schools so I'd like to give the application process there a shot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Where to stay in Il
    By Skydiver in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-13-2008, 08:02 PM
  2. Please Stay away from AUA..here's why
    By DocShopping in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 04-18-2005, 02:50 PM
  3. where to stay and eat
    By coco in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 04:08 AM
  4. stay in USA or go away?
    By claudette737 in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 05-23-2004, 10:52 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •