Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    brob311's Avatar
    brob311 is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    752
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Before you say run a search...

    Advertisements



    Sorry to those who may have read this on another forum, but I am not getting much feedback, plus I want to hear from fellow Ross students/soon to be students. I have been recently accepted to Ross, and last week I was invited for an interview for a D.O. school - PCOM-Ga campus. I know that I am not accepted to the D.O. school yet, but I am trying to prepare myself, if I do get in, b/c I am investing a lot to move down to Dominica. I have read numerous posts on Caribb school vs D.O. schools. My concern is not a question of D.O. vs Caribbean MD, but rather a new D.O. school (3 years old) vs an established Caribb Med school. My worry about going to the D.O. school is that I will not have as many oppurtunities b/c the school is not established, as far as residencies and clinicals go. I have read that there are less hoops to jump through if you are at a US school (allopathic or Osteopathic). Ross has more flexibility shown through their residency matches, and I don't want to fell restricted to family medicine if I go to the DO school. Any input would be appreciated.

    Mahalo
    Reese Bobby: "Real simple, son! Cops are coming! There's a kilo of Colombian bam-bam under the car. Time to be a man. You got hair on your peaches or what?"

  2. #2
    FoxTrot's Avatar
    FoxTrot is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,039
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd go for the D.O. school. It's just alot easier to go to school in the states than it is to go to a foreign school. Plus sometimes you'll experience prejudice/ false assumptions based on prior caribbean st udents that set a poor example before you arrived. I've rotated with a few D.O. students in some core rotations and there really is no difference between them and M.D. students except the two letter initials behind the name.

  3. #3
    queenofspades11's Avatar
    queenofspades11 is offline Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    332
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i would also consider where you would like to practice and do all your clinicals. If GA is where you want to practice, then the DO in GA should do it, if you want to go for the northeast, consider the fact that with Ross you will be doing clinicals in those states and this is where you will be known personally. A good recommendation from a well known doctor from nearby can go a long way (solely in my opinion)

  4. #4
    supafly is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    18
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i suggest you become a D.O. bc you won't have to deal with the hassles of being a foreign doc, taking the ECFMG

  5. #5
    McGillGrad's Avatar
    McGillGrad is offline Permanently Banned 511 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    multiple accounts
    Posts
    2,476
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What are your stats like?

    With that being said, I would definitely go to the school and check it out and see if it has the facilites to support your studies. The networking might be tougher but at least you have slightly less hoops.

  6. #6
    sukhtinder is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    969
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    goto the DO school! you will have MANY more opportunities that are MUCH better than any FMG will have. you will be open to derm residencies, optho residencies, radio residencies, and many more tha are elusive to the FMG, no matter what school they goto. plus you wont have PTSD from living in a craphole like dominica. also you wont have to go thru the weedout process, which ends up becoming more luck than effort. stay at a US school that will try to pass you no matter what, rather than trying to fail you like ross will to make $$.

    ross/sgu/auc/saba should be reserved if you have exhausted every recourse at home 1st. good luck!
    Please un-ban Preppystud, Woodbridge, Bob2k, and Rajpatel, they were the most elite members of valueMD...sbturner is my heroHidden Content

  7. #7
    brob311's Avatar
    brob311 is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    752
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by queenofspades11
    i would also consider where you would like to practice and do all your clinicals. If GA is where you want to practice, then the DO in GA should do it, if you want to go for the northeast, consider the fact that with Ross you will be doing clinicals in those states and this is where you will be known personally. A good recommendation from a well known doctor from nearby can go a long way (solely in my opinion)
    I would not mind practicing in GA, but I don't think Ross is restricted to the NE (would rather practice in Ga than in the NE... no offense queenofspades)
    Reese Bobby: "Real simple, son! Cops are coming! There's a kilo of Colombian bam-bam under the car. Time to be a man. You got hair on your peaches or what?"

  8. #8
    rokshana is offline Member Guru 11644 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    12,099
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by supafly
    i suggest you become a D.O. bc you won't have to deal with the hassles of being a foreign doc, taking the ECFMG
    you need to update your info - there is no more ECFMG - IMGs take the same USMLE steps as US students and then just need to get ECFMG certification - that's just paperwork and money - no additional tests.

    As for the DO route- if you want to be eligible for allopathic residencies you will have to take the USMLE Steps as well as the COMLEX tests- so really there is more testing involved with the DO route.
    Endocrinology, Diabetes and Metabolism Attending
    ABIM certified IM
    ValueMD-the place "where nothing makes sense, but everything is related-fellow vmd'r gabon

  9. #9
    brob311's Avatar
    brob311 is offline Senior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Columbia, MO
    Posts
    752
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxTrot
    I'd go for the D.O. school. It's just alot easier to go to school in the states than it is to go to a foreign school. Plus sometimes you'll experience prejudice/ false assumptions based on prior caribbean st udents that set a poor example before you arrived. I've rotated with a few D.O. students in some core rotations and there really is no difference between them and M.D. students except the two letter initials behind the name.
    This is true, but sometimes there is prejudice/false assumption that a D.O. can expereince from other MD's and patients just b/c there is a DO at the end of their name, and not an MD.
    Reese Bobby: "Real simple, son! Cops are coming! There's a kilo of Colombian bam-bam under the car. Time to be a man. You got hair on your peaches or what?"

  10. #10
    TheeeGod is offline Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    355
    Downloads
    10
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sukhtinder
    goto the DO school! you will have MANY more opportunities that are MUCH better than any FMG will have. you will be open to derm residencies, optho residencies, radio residencies, and many more tha are elusive to the FMG, no matter what school they goto. plus you wont have PTSD from living in a craphole like dominica. also you wont have to go thru the weedout process, which ends up becoming more luck than effort. stay at a US school that will try to pass you no matter what, rather than trying to fail you like ross will to make $$.

    ross/sgu/auc/saba should be reserved if you have exhausted every recourse at home 1st. good luck!
    man i wish someone would have told me this before i went to ross (but hey its all good) but i do agree with this statement...being a d.o., you have a slightly higher chance of getting some of the more lucrative programs....but dont in anyway think that if you went to ross, you would simply not be eligible for something...remember its not the school that dictates your work ethic but rather an innate desire to succeed and be the best

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. how to search
    By seandubbers in forum Ross University Sticky Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-27-2010, 01:17 AM
  2. In search of!!
    By boombalyBAH86 in forum AUC Medical School Classifieds
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-18-2009, 10:50 AM
  3. Before you say use a search...
    By brob311 in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 04-27-2006, 07:56 AM
  4. Don't tell me to do a search...
    By bill_evans in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-13-2006, 01:32 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •