Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    FrenchyNYC is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    43
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Breaking a signed prelim contract for a categorical

    Advertisements



    Hi guys

    I signed a contract out of match for a prelim, and now another program is offering me a categorical position.

    Does anyone have this kind of experience? Is it possible to break a contract? and what to do to break the contract?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    leadsled is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    855
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchyNYC View Post
    Hi guys

    I signed a contract out of match for a prelim, and now another program is offering me a categorical position.

    Does anyone have this kind of experience? Is it possible to break a contract? and what to do to break the contract?

    Thank you
    You should probably just tell them. There are a thousand other people willing to take the slot!

  3. #3
    FrenchyNYC is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    43
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by leadsled View Post
    You should probably just tell them. There are a thousand other people willing to take the slot!

    Absolutely!! I will tell them of course. I am just wondering if anyone went through that after signing a contract and what it means to break it... meaning can there be any consequences?

  4. #4
    leadsled is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    855
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FrenchyNYC View Post
    can there be any consequences?

    "Newton's 3rd Law:
    For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. "


    There are always consequences to actions! You are burning a bridge, you pissed off a few players, you let someone down, you may have gotten an awesome advanced program with successful completion of a pgy1, etc.
    Are there legal consequences? That depends on the contract you signed and the fine print.
    Are there consequences to future matches. Well, unlikely since this was a "pre-match" offer from a program that apparently didn't participate in the match. Link: Reporting and Investigation of Violations - The Match, National Resident Matching Program









  5. #5
    FrenchyNYC is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    43
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You are absolutely right about burning bridges, and passing off people.

    But itís the kind of decision that whatever you do, you lose something.

    Thanks for your answer



    Quote Originally Posted by leadsled View Post

    "Newton's 3rd Law:
    For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction. "


    There are always consequences to actions! You are burning a bridge, you pissed off a few players, you let someone down, you may have gotten an awesome advanced program with successful completion of a pgy1, etc.
    Are there legal consequences? That depends on the contract you signed and the fine print.
    Are there consequences to future matches. Well, unlikely since this was a "pre-match" offer from a program that apparently didn't participate in the match. Link: Reporting and Investigation of Violations - The Match, National Resident Matching Program










Similar Threads

  1. Prelim and Categorical ROL Strategery
    By PillPeddler in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 09-06-2009, 12:44 AM
  2. categorical vs. prelim surgery
    By sarit in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-19-2008, 10:16 PM
  3. prelim vs categorical surgery
    By jackets5 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:09 PM
  4. Breaking the RH Contract to move out.
    By southstar67 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-01-2005, 09:36 PM
  5. prelim vs categorical
    By Anonymous in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2004, 09:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •