Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: reprimanded for having too many IV's

  1. #1
    tigerkeeper is offline Junior Member 519 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    86
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    reprimanded for having too many IV's

    Advertisements



    I was being reprimanded by the Head of the Med ed dept this morning for absences due to IN's. I have 8 IV's during the Med sub-I. As an IMG, I need all these IV's. I offered to come back on weekends and all holidays to make that up, I might even cancel one IV, which I hate to do.
    The Head of the dept is not convinced, he wanted me to come out with a more satisfactory solutions next week.
    Can any PD's (or anyone) plz help, any suggestions. Plz

  2. #2
    Tipton's Avatar
    Tipton is offline Ultimate Member 6138 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the programs want to interview you maybe you can reschedule a few.

  3. #3
    jackets5 is offline Senior Member 682 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,083
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Honestly at this point as long as you pass the rotation who cares. It's pretty late for a Sub-Into matter and IV's are way more important. I know at my program if med students need days off for IV's we give it to them no questions asked. Even the 3rd years applying for fellowship take elective during interview months and no one cares at all if they miss many days. I know someone who literally missed every single day of a Hem/Onc elective for 2 weeks for fellowship interviews and did so with the blessing of the Hem/Onc PD at our program. Med students don't do much and there are things much more important than a ** elective. Seems the med Ed person is a real ***

  4. #4
    houmd's Avatar
    houmd is offline Elite Member 7229 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    2,510
    Downloads
    26
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sub-I's and true audition rotations are the only ones in 4th yr that typically care about this stuff. Try to reschedule some

  5. #5
    Salama's Avatar
    Salama is offline Member Guru 8316 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Suppose you call me intern.
    Posts
    10,799
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackets5 View Post
    Honestly at this point as long as you pass the rotation who cares.
    He cares bc he's being told he is going to be reprimanded if he misses. Meaning they could fail him. So he wouldn't pass and that would be bad. Kapish? Obviously, the program does care bc if they didn't it wouldnt be an issue. SGU's policy is that we can only miss 2 days of a rotation and those 2 days must be made up with call or weekend coverage. Most everyone breaks this, but it never gets that far up the ladder to matter.

    I'm curious how the med ed person found out. Typically you can just discuss missed days with the residents and they totally understand. They were in it too. I've found this with most attendings as well.
    "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." ~W.E. Henley

  6. #6
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 7201 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salama View Post
    He cares bc he's being told he is going to be reprimanded if he misses. Meaning they could fail him. So he wouldn't pass and that would be bad. Kapish? Obviously, the program does care bc if they didn't it wouldnt be an issue. SGU's policy is that we can only miss 2 days of a rotation and those 2 days must be made up with call or weekend coverage. Most everyone breaks this, but it never gets that far up the ladder to matter.

    I'm curious how the med ed person found out. Typically you can just discuss missed days with the residents and they totally understand. They were in it too. I've found this with most attendings as well.
    Jealous classmates that snitched probably. I use to think everyone in your classmates is your comrade in the battle, but after 4th term you know there are REAL gunners out there that will do this.

  7. #7
    Salama's Avatar
    Salama is offline Member Guru 8316 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Suppose you call me intern.
    Posts
    10,799
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thxleave View Post
    Jealous classmates that snitched probably. I use to think everyone in your classmates is your comrade in the battle, but after 4th term you know there are REAL gunners out there that will do this.
    I find that hard to believe in clinicals. Most of us are in the same situation. We all need time off for interviews.
    "I am the master of my fate, I am the captain of my soul." ~W.E. Henley

  8. #8
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 7201 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Salama View Post
    I find that hard to believe in clinicals. Most of us are in the same situation. We all need time off for interviews.
    I got an F on my Clerkship. : medicalschool

  9. #9
    eastcoast is offline Junior Member 532 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    54
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Some old school attendings do care about attendance though. These attendings most likely notify Med Ed that students shouldnt sign up for that elective if they plan on having absences. I've heard through the grapevine that some attendings will give students a hard time. I was terrified of taking time off too but I've found that as long as you explain, show proof if they ask and offer to make up the time it's fine. I'm halfway through interview season and haven't had a problem so far.

    But yeah to the OP: I replied to your thread on SDN too I think. You probably shouldn't have signed up for a Sub-I during IV season but what's done is done. I would just focus on explaining the fact that you didn't understand the attendance policy and you would be happy to make up the hours over holidays, weekends or do some extra work. Maybe offer to put together a case presentation or something? Have your attendings speak to the Med Ed for your and vouch that you have put in the time.

    For future reference for everyone else - know that most Sub-Is have a strict policy of no days off no matter what, and that they absolutely should NOT be scheduled during IV season (nov-jan). This is pretty much standard at all schools, esp the Caribbean because our accreditation/licensing depends on us following all the rules and policies, and Carib schools are scrutinized more heavily. That's why it's important to take CK early (summer before app season) so you can do an audition Sub-I in August or Sept and get it out of the way before IVs start.
    thxleave likes this.

  10. #10
    thxleave is offline Elite Member 7201 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    2,148
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
    Some old school attendings do care about attendance though. These attendings most likely notify Med Ed that students shouldnt sign up for that elective if they plan on having absences. I've heard through the grapevine that some attendings will give students a hard time. I was terrified of taking time off too but I've found that as long as you explain, show proof if they ask and offer to make up the time it's fine. I'm halfway through interview season and haven't had a problem so far.

    But yeah to the OP: I replied to your thread on SDN too I think. You probably shouldn't have signed up for a Sub-I during IV season but what's done is done. I would just focus on explaining the fact that you didn't understand the attendance policy and you would be happy to make up the hours over holidays, weekends or do some extra work. Maybe offer to put together a case presentation or something? Have your attendings speak to the Med Ed for your and vouch that you have put in the time.

    For future reference for everyone else - know that most Sub-Is have a strict policy of no days off no matter what, and that they absolutely should NOT be scheduled during IV season (nov-jan). This is pretty much standard at all schools, esp the Caribbean because our accreditation/licensing depends on us following all the rules and policies, and Carib schools are scrutinized more heavily. That's why it's important to take CK early (summer before app season) so you can do an audition Sub-I in August or Sept and get it out of the way before IVs start.
    Can you clarify this for us newbies? Does that mean take Step 2CK and Step 2CS end of 3rd year/beginning of 4th year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •