Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    gizmodr is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    pathology residency help

    Advertisements



    Hi I'm a foreign medical graduate with Step1: 187/76(first attermpt) 3 month hands on internal medicine rotation in the US, 1 year post sophomore fellowship in pathology and no visa problems. What is my chance to get a residency in pathology? Please help. Any advices?

  2. #2
    dkpwalker is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    93
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    you are better off than me, i am also applying to pathology, am an IMG but no US experience and no pathology experience except that in med school, step 1 78, step ck outstanding. i would say that you are a much better pick. i realise that a lot of the programs ask for experience in pathology so if you get a really great step 2 score like a 99 you would be very competitive

  3. #3
    singer is offline Elite Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,673
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    which is more important

    Which is more important when applying for residencies the score on Step 1 or Step 2ck? Also does having published research while in college help at all?
    When you become my age you will realize all of the hard work and studying was worth the effort.
    "60 years young" another 60 to go if my doctor sons keep me alive with free prescriptions!!

  4. #4
    gizmodr is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    8
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I also don't know which step is more important for Pathology residency. Any knows?

  5. #5
    anencephalic's Avatar
    anencephalic is offline Brainless Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4,018
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It really depends. A strong step score will do wonders for you in terms of opening doors. A poor score will just as effectively shut them.

    Pathology programs tend to look at more than just raw scores. Thankfully, it is one of the few specialties that take into account the entire application. Research helps, as well as evidence of committment to the field (prior work experience, research, post-sophomore fellowship, etc.). Strong letters of rec from a pathologist who knows your ability are essential.

    As far as which score is more important (step 1 vs step 2), I think I just answered that...

  6. #6
    microphage's Avatar
    microphage is offline Useless Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    7,749
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anencephalic View Post
    It really depends. A strong step score will do wonders for you in terms of opening doors. A poor score will just as effectively shut them.

    Pathology programs tend to look at more than just raw scores. Thankfully, it is one of the few specialties that take into account the entire application. Research helps, as well as evidence of committment to the field (prior work experience, research, post-sophomore fellowship, etc.). Strong letters of rec from a pathologist who knows your ability are essential.

    As far as which score is more important (step 1 vs step 2), I think I just answered that...
    that's just like saying "Correlate clinically if cause for concern"
    Finally beat Super Mario Bros within 7 mins.

  7. #7
    alpathmd is offline Moderator 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Home of the Tigers...
    Posts
    839
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    the way i see it...

    Quote Originally Posted by gizmodr View Post
    I also don't know which step is more important for Pathology residency. Any knows?
    I think Step 1, as it gives a "first impression". I know of an AMG who had a borderline step 1 score and passed step 2 with a decent score and has been without a residency for 2 yrs. She's done multiple research papers with the "big guns" of pathology. I'm hoping she lands one this year!

    good luck,
    Ross University Forum Moderator

    Dr.A.
    PGY-3 Pathology ResidentHidden Content



  8. #8
    singer is offline Elite Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    1,673
    Downloads
    2
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    change fields

    Quote Originally Posted by alpathmd View Post
    I think Step 1, as it gives a "first impression". I know of an AMG who had a borderline step 1 score and passed step 2 with a decent score and has been without a residency for 2 yrs. She's done multiple research papers with the "big guns" of pathology. I'm hoping she lands one this year!

    good luck,
    Just wondering how long someone would go witout a residency before going into IM or FP.
    When you become my age you will realize all of the hard work and studying was worth the effort.
    "60 years young" another 60 to go if my doctor sons keep me alive with free prescriptions!!

Similar Threads

  1. Pathology residency
    By aaam in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-20-2009, 10:56 AM
  2. pathology residency
    By dkpwalker in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-06-2006, 05:09 AM
  3. Pathology Residency.
    By nomifm in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-28-2005, 03:02 PM
  4. Pathology residency for IMG ?
    By rawi in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-30-2004, 09:47 PM
  5. PATHOLOGY RESIDENCY
    By IGGY68 in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-03-2003, 08:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •