Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 37
  1. #1
    IMG SURVIVOR's Avatar
    IMG SURVIVOR is offline Moderator 536 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    5,842
    Downloads
    43
    Uploads
    0
    Blog Entries
    29
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    In a very professional way who can tell me

    Advertisements



    Who can tell the main difference between DO and MD?
    How many DO graduate every year?
    I know that for MD the number have been the same in the last 50 years(from AMA statistics)
    And if you want to share yoy toughts go ahead.

    Who they will choose first a IMG or a DO?

    THANKS
    Moderator: USMLE AND Residency Forums.

    Hidden Content
    why even bother with the obvious. Just know where you are need it and where you can help the most.

  2. #2
    AmericanIMG's Avatar
    AmericanIMG is offline Ultimate Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    7,909
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    your post doesn't really make sense but i will try to answer it...

    DOs learn the basic MD medicine, plus other medicine. i personally believe a DO from a US school is worth more than a MD from the Carib.

    DOs have the opportunity for MD as well as DO residencies...ortho is easier as a DO.

    in the end, no one cares if you are DO or MD, just if you are licensed and responsible.
    but remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

  3. #3
    MYMD is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Scut Monkey: Clinicals
    Posts
    1,835
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanIMG View Post
    your post doesn't really make sense but i will try to answer it...

    DOs learn the basic MD medicine, plus other medicine. i personally believe a DO from a US school is worth more than a MD from the Carib.

    ........................................
    Why would you say that? DO's I know say there is way less Biochem in the program ( from what I have studied in pharm/path/physio/ and biochem, it is very important to life/function and treatments) and the things they are taught "Extra" Is more like a Chiropractor and some of them are being sued for manipulations that have injured and paralyzed people. I'm not so sure I agree that disease can be cured with just manipulation, this is from the late 19th and early 20th century, don't you think medicine has come light years since then? Just my 2 cents.

    Oh I think a Caribbean MD is superior to the DO again my opinion but I can practice in countries a DO cannot as a physician.
    I'm Busy with clinicals and study, If you wait for a response on a thread or PM it may take a week or so.

    Hidden Content

  4. #4
    what up doc is offline Moderator 513 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    290
    Downloads
    4
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am not sure but i have heard that a DO is only recognized in the USA and not around the world, so u cant practice anywhere xecpt the USA. I agree with MYMD on the fact that a Carib MD is better than DO because of the sole fact that you can practice in any country in the world (so what if u cant practice in a few states - is it really that much of a difference)......
    ASUM Forum Moderator

    The heart beat of ASUSM......

  5. #5
    ak7083's Avatar
    ak7083 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Turdsville
    Posts
    216
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1. Probably 200+ hrs of OMM. Internship 1 yr in certain states. COMLEX
    2. http://www.osteopathic.org/pdf/ost_factsheet.pdf


    Depends which DO school accepts me.
    ......................

  6. #6
    ak7083's Avatar
    ak7083 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Turdsville
    Posts
    216
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by what up doc View Post
    I am not sure but i have heard that a DO is only recognized in the USA and not around the world, so u cant practice anywhere xecpt the USA. I agree with MYMD on the fact that a Carib MD is better than DO because of the sole fact that you can practice in any country in the world (so what if u cant practice in a few states - is it really that much of a difference)......
    There are countries that do.

    International DO Practice Rights - Student Doctor Network Forums

  7. #7
    Doc2010 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    133
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MYMD View Post
    Why would you say that? DO's I know say there is way less Biochem in the program ( from what I have studied in pharm/path/physio/ and biochem, it is very important to life/function and treatments) and the things they are taught "Extra" Is more like a Chiropractor and some of them are being sued for manipulations that have injured and paralyzed people. I'm not so sure I agree that disease can be cured with just manipulation, this is from the late 19th and early 20th century, don't you think medicine has come light years since then? Just my 2 cents.

    Oh I think a Caribbean MD is superior to the DO again my opinion but I can practice in countries a DO cannot as a physician.

    Your anecdotal evidence does not prove anything. Show me some source to back up your claim. And your comments about people getting paralyzed because of OMM is inappropriate. You seem to make it sound like MDs have never made any mistakes. If you need to know why OMM works, you need to go to Journal of the American Osteopathic Association and see some of the articles. There are lot of allopathic institutes that are currently doing research on OMM techniques. Yes there are some OMM techniques which are not scientific but there are others which have been proven effective.

  8. #8
    ak7083's Avatar
    ak7083 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Turdsville
    Posts
    216
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    1. I agree that this question smells.
    2. DOs dont get the bums rush. But Im planning to go into Primary care so I dont care much.
    3. DOs are eligible for allopathic and osteo residencies but conversley no. i say DISCRIMINATION! ha ha ha
    4. Yeh

    Yes I know I might of spelled conversley wrong.

  9. #9
    MYMD is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Scut Monkey: Clinicals
    Posts
    1,835
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc2010 View Post
    Your anecdotal evidence does not prove anything. Show me some source to back up your claim. And your comments about people getting paralyzed because of OMM is inappropriate. You seem to make it sound like MDs have never made any mistakes. If you need to know why OMM works, you need to go to Journal of the American Osteopathic Association and see some of the articles. There are lot of allopathic institutes that are currently doing research on OMM techniques. Yes there are some OMM techniques which are not scientific but there are others which have been proven effective.
    How is the fact that DO's cannot practice in some Countries anecdotal evidence? That is such a poor argument! It is a fact my friend, your post is anecdotal and The Journal of the American Osteopathic Association has articles, stories, facts are the key in medicine. I posted a solid fact not summation.
    I'm Busy with clinicals and study, If you wait for a response on a thread or PM it may take a week or so.

    Hidden Content

  10. #10
    MYMD is offline Elite Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Scut Monkey: Clinicals
    Posts
    1,835
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ak7083 View Post
    1. I agree that this question smells.
    2. DOs dont get the bums rush. But Im planning to go into Primary care so I dont care much.
    3. DOs are eligible for allopathic and osteo residencies but conversley no. i say DISCRIMINATION! ha ha ha
    4. Yeh

    Yes I know I might of spelled conversley wrong.
    As long as you BUY into OMM curing a lot of things that science may not agree with. Thats the part I'm still trying to understand myself. I admit I want to know more about OMM I think there may be valid treatments with OMM but so far some I highly question.
    I'm Busy with clinicals and study, If you wait for a response on a thread or PM it may take a week or so.

    Hidden Content

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Professional advice
    By RealMD in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
  2. professional carriear
    By chitu in forum Caribbean Medical University (CMU)
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-04-2007, 11:49 AM
  3. XP professional/Home
    By DA in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-06-2005, 05:12 PM
  4. are we professional
    By txnboy20 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 07-08-2005, 12:10 PM
  5. XP PROFESSIONAL
    By BSWEETIEDOC in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 04:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •