Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    moonlightsonata is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Don't Go To MUA If You...

    Advertisements



    I think MUA is a decent school if you couldn't get into an USA school or the other Caribbean schools are out of your price range.

    Just remember YOU have to be the one motivated to go on this journey.

    You mom, sister, dad, grandmother cannot be the ones who want you to become a doctor. YOU have to want to become a doctor.

    I guarantee you if YOU do not want to be a doctor YOU, not your granny, mom, sister, dad, will be the ones burdened with debt.

  2. #2
    hopefulmed95 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think prospective students want to see numeral data. I have yet to see it.

    A match list of 80 individuals does not help your case. Just sayin'

  3. #3
    hopefulmed95 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You could also explain WHY MUA is a decent school. I have yet to see a convincing answer on that either.

    The goal is to become an MD and I think I have calculated that the odds are 25-30% at MUA. That's not very good. Actually, it's very bad.
    Last edited by hopefulmed95; 06-28-2020 at 12:04 PM.

  4. #4
    moonlightsonata is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everyone, @hopefulmd95 I'm pretty sure is starting MUA for the Fall 2020 class. He doesn't actually wanna be a doctor, his parents want him to be a doctor. This is Exhibit A as to why you can't go into this if this isn't what YOU want.

    If you don't have the FIRE under your behind to succeed you'll find yourself in 20K worth of debt after the 1st semester with nothing to show for it but a "FAILURE" on your transcript.

    Kids, listen to me. YOU have want to be a doctor. YOU and YOU only!

  5. #5
    hopefulmed95 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlightsonata View Post
    Everyone, @hopefulmd95 I'm pretty sure is starting MUA for the Fall 2020 class. He doesn't actually wanna be a doctor, his parents want him to be a doctor. This is Exhibit A as to why you can't go into this if this isn't what YOU want.

    If you don't have the FIRE under your behind to succeed you'll find yourself in 20K worth of debt after the 1st semester with nothing to show for it but a "FAILURE" on your transcript.

    Kids, listen to me. YOU have want to be a doctor. YOU and YOU only!
    Nope, I'm not that stupid.

    I think trying to get an MD from MUA is a very risky prospect based on what I have seen on this forum and what I have calculated from their matching statistics.

    Nobody knows what you are talking about. You sound drunk.

  6. #6
    scolari66 is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    45
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hopefulmed95 View Post
    Nope, I'm not that stupid.

    I think trying to get an MD from MUA is a very risky prospect based on what I have seen on this forum and what I have calculated from their matching statistics.

    Nobody knows what you are talking about. You sound drunk.
    Look, Hopeful, if you do not truly want to be a doctor, then follow your dreams.
    Don't be afraid to tell you parents, I want to sing, like Josh Brogan, and wear leotards.
    Or I want to act, like Tom Hanks, and make people laugh. Or follow the comedy route of Jimmy Kimble.
    But if you just follow your parents advice or do what you're "supposed to" you will
    never be happy. I agree with Sonata...go with your heart.
    Last edited by scolari66; 06-28-2020 at 10:58 PM.

  7. #7
    moonlightsonata is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scolari66 View Post
    Look, Hopeful, if you do not truly want to be a doctor, then follow your dreams.
    Don't be afraid to tell you parents, I want to sing, like Josh Brogan, and wear leotards.
    Or I want to act, like Tom Hanks, and make people laugh. Or follow the comedy route of Jimmy Kimble.
    But if you just follow your parents advice or do what you're "supposed to" you will
    never be happy. I agree with Sonata...go with your heart.
    Agreed. I'm sure if you are in the process of trying to go to medical school you're an adult. Adults know how to make informed decisions for themselves. Hopeful wouldn't understand that because he's still doing what mommy and daddy tells him to do.
    Last edited by moonlightsonata; 06-29-2020 at 12:36 AM.

  8. #8
    hopefulmed95 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by moonlightsonata View Post
    Agreed. I'm sure if you are in the process of trying to go to medical school you're an adult. Adults know how to make informed decisions for themselves. Hopeful wouldn't understand that because he's still doing what mommy and daddy tells him to do.
    Please stop embarrassing yourself and your school.

  9. #9
    hopefulmed95 is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    101
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scolari66 View Post
    Just a little description of why SGU SOM Term 5 sucks so far.

    First thing, I was at an idyllic place over break. Coming back to all the crazy H-bus drivers and just Grenada in general was a bit of a culture shock. I've seen 4 major accidents in the last week at the roundabout near Frequente Industrial Park and at least 3 near the Lavo Lanes Bowling alley--how many people have to die or be injured before they enforce some sort of speed limit, or put up a traffic light, or tell bus drivers they can't drink rum and cokes all day as they drive around at high speed.
    But back to the curriculum...
    Term 5 seems to have a lot of clandestine instructions. Amid all the junk emails I get from the school every day, a rare
    minority will actually describe a class project or deadline. Students seem to be getting most of their information from Facebook, which is not supposed to be the de facto syllabus or all-purpose learning tool for this class, last I heard, especially in light of all the questionable data-mining the company revealed in the last weeks. If anything, the more mature students of Term 5, ready to take on USMLE and clinicals, and their medical future, should be encouraged to outgrow that "high school" mentality. Instead information about course projects and assignments is very cliquish and "word of mouth" and Facebook-oriented. What's wrong with Professors articulating deadlines and projects during lecture? Is that no longer permitted? Or are they just lazy? Or out of touch?
    Also, like Pathology, Pathophysiology seems very disorganized. Not a week goes by that students are not re-assigned small groups or told to sit in a different table for Small Group session. Facilitators seem like they are going through the motions with little interest in the subject matter. This class is supposed to be a preparation for Step 1, but it feels more like a half-baked re-enactment of Pathology, which was not a class that got good reviews. It feels like the school has gotten so big that it can't support all the new students it keeps accepting for the next term, which is upwards of 1500 people, last I heard. Lines for food or coffee are longer that ever, roads to the schools are full of potholes, bulldozers, and dusty detours. Really, this seems like a different environment that the one I enjoyed the first few moths here.
    Also there's an incredible amount of busy work. BSFCR seems like it implemented specifically to interfere with Pathophysiology and Pharmacology,
    and the classes are full of murky assignment descriptions and arbitrary deadlines seeming imposed in order to "weed people out."C
    Clinicals (ICM) is so full of busy work assignments it boggles the mind. When you just made it through one assignment on SAKAI, they lead you
    over to Bline for some other silly assignment.
    Isn't anyone listening? I've heard of this type of thing at inferior schools but it's not what I expect at the "Harvard of the Caribbean." There's no way I could recommend this school to prospective medical students. Lately it seems like a big mess.
    I thought you were at SGU man? Why are you on the MUA forum and talking about a school you don't go to? You should be talking about St. George's instead.

  10. #10
    don1 is offline Moderator 548 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,386
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well said . Having finished med school and residency, I agree


    Quote Originally Posted by moonlightsonata View Post
    I think MUA is a decent school if you couldn't get into an USA school or the other Caribbean schools are out of your price range.

    Just remember YOU have to be the one motivated to go on this journey.

    You mom, sister, dad, grandmother cannot be the ones who want you to become a doctor. YOU have to want to become a doctor.

    I guarantee you if YOU do not want to be a doctor YOU, not your granny, mom, sister, dad, will be the ones burdened with debt.
    MUA Forum Moderator

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •