Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    drjohn1990 is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    115
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    An update on why I am choosing SGU over MUA.

    Advertisements



    Greetings,

    The dictator moderator of this forum keeps locking my rather useful threads. I don't know why but I suspect because they couldn't handle the truth.

    Anyways, I was recently accepted to St. George's University. I deferred my admission to January 2019. I actually have pretty decent grades but my AMCAS would essentially keep me out of US schools and my MCAT was fine at 508 but not what US schools are looking for so instead of wasting my time down that route, I said I was going to try the Caribbean and it really only came down to two choices, SGU of course and then MUA because it was the cheapest of the title IV schools and apparently they recently received California accreditation (which I could care less about because I'm nowhere near California or any states that use their "list.")

    I know a little bit about SGU because I know some people who went there but I didn't know anything about MUA until maybe a year or so ago. I'm glad I took the time to dig for some information here because I found out a lot of stuff that I think is crucial.

    I thought all Caribbean schools are the same but apparently they are not. SGU has lower attrition, a better reputation with PD's, and solid third year rotational spots. All those things make a huge difference when it comes to succeeding. I was somewhat confused as to why MUA had to take a comp shelf, why they have a step 2 comp, why they have a silly research paper requirement, and then a low basic science pass rate. None of that stuff is mentioned in their literature and none of that was mentioned in their webinar.

    I did the same digging regarding SGU and SGU does not have an NBME comp shelf, does not have a separate pre-Step 2 exam, does not make you write a research paper, and has a final term pass rate >85%. They take an exam called BSCE II after their fifth term and I found out they have a pass rate on that exam of >85%. On my last thread, an MUA student said the comp shelf pass rate for his class was in the 20% range. You figure that one out. The translation is that MUA is a SERIOUS gamble. It might be cheaper and it might be smaller than SGU but most of those students will not succeed in that program. Now SGU does have high attrition as well but no where near the numbers of MUA and some of these other schools. If you dig a little deeper, you can see that all the schools on St. Kitts and Nevis had a combined match rate of less than 50%. The island with the highest match rate is Grenada and there is only one medical school in Grenada. Dominica was also high on the list as well and Ross is the big school there.

    So now I'm talking to you moderator, you seem to think MUA is a good school because you went there but you failed to disclose all of the information I unearthed to the prospective students. You can't possibly make an argument that "I succeeded and so will you." A better argument would be "Go to the school with the greatest chance of succeeding or don't go to medical school in the Caribbean." Even after all the back and forth, you still make silly arguments that MUA is a good school when it is OBVIOUSLY NOT!!! The data clearly shows that this school is a scheme if anything. Not saying SGU doesn't fall into the same category but SGU has a demonstrated track record. What is MUA's track record? Where are the 1000 or so MUA grads? Try and explain that to the prospective student.

    In closing, my advice to someone considering MUA is to check out my last few threads and then go verify that information independently. Statistically, MUA is a dead-end of a school. Don't let their brochure or website fool you. If you want to become a doctor by going down the IMG route, my advice is to focus only on SGU and maybe Ross. If you have grades similar to what I have, you should be able to make it at SGU. The people that probably get weeded out come in with really low stats. If MUA is passing their students all the way up to their fifth term and then most of those students are failing that comp shelf exam, that can only mean two things...the students are not prepared and/or MUA is weeding them out. I don't know about you but that's a stupid risk to take.

    So in closing, if you want to go IMG, go to SGU. If you can, try and go to a US school. It might take you some more time but it's better than the years you would waste at a school like MUA where the odds of succeeding are clearly stacked against you.

  2. #2
    scolari66 is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    34
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Did you consider the boobage and doobage factors for each school? They matter significantly.

  3. #3
    drjohn1990 is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    115
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scolari66 View Post
    Did you consider the boobage and doobage factors for each school? They matter significantly.
    Also, MUA apparently accepts or is associated with the mentally ill.

  4. #4
    don1 is offline Moderator 547 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,343
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Drjohn1990. May I remind you that you are a prospective medical student who had not done any medical training. I have experience from already finishing medical school at MUA and just completing residency. I hardly think MUA is a “deadend” school based on my personal experience and so many more of my classmates that are already in practice and not on these forums, etc. Recent California approval also says otherwise; a rigerous approval process would not be given to a “deadend” school. You keep going on the MUA forum saying how SGU is a great school and writing disparaging comments about MUA.

    I am a forum moderator and I am moderating the forum. There are rules to posting to these forums and I suggest you review them. Please refrain from calling me a dictator.
    Last edited by don1; 06-11-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    MUA Forum Moderator

  5. #5
    Oranges12 is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    51
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My god you are truly immature aren't you? Personal attacks left and right. Before I realized you were a troll and answered you seriously I told you to maximize your chances and go to SGU and laid out the reasons to do so. But something's clearly wrong up north and so you needed an additional 100+ posts to get there and then you post this petty post that just states a lot of stuff that everyone knows. Point out one person that said any of your posts were helpful at all.

  6. #6
    drjohn1990 is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    115
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Oranges12 View Post
    My god you are truly immature aren't you? Personal attacks left and right. Before I realized you were a troll and answered you seriously I told you to maximize your chances and go to SGU and laid out the reasons to do so. But something's clearly wrong up north and so you needed an additional 100+ posts to get there and then you post this petty post that just states a lot of stuff that everyone knows. Point out one person that said any of your posts were helpful at all.
    Sorry, was on vacation. Just saw this.

    There's no need to make this personal or resort to verbal abuse man. That's truly immature. Look, you claim you graduated. My advice is to stop focusing on this end of things and focus more on where you are right now. You should be better than this. I'm bringing this issue up because I'm not where you supposedly are so it's a valid argument.

    Regarding if my posts are helpful, I'd like to think that they are. People are messaging me and thanking me for bringing these issues up about your school AND they are telling me about a lot of things that go in inside of your school that you and your colleagues are failing to present. I also received a few messages from prospective students who have thanked me in helping them learn more about how these schools REALLY operate. You think I come on here to start up a conversation with the three stooges of MUA lol? Get a life.

  7. #7
    don1 is offline Moderator 547 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,343
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    drjohn1990. if you want to continue to be a user of valuemd I suggest you adhere to the terms of usage. refrain from personal insults.

    I highly doubt many of your claims are true.
    MUA Forum Moderator

  8. #8
    drjohn1990 is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    115
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don1 View Post
    drjohn1990. if you want to continue to be a user of valuemd I suggest you adhere to the terms of usage. refrain from personal insults.

    I highly doubt many of your claims are true.
    don1,

    Just stop already. It's over. You lose.

  9. #9
    don1 is offline Moderator 547 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,343
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How do you rationalize that. I finished medical school at MUA, completed residency, and nearly done fellowship. I am board certified specialist. Also, I just signed on to a great attending position. I get to practice the medicine I love and will make in 6 months what my entire MUA education cost me for 4 years.

    Your arguements drjohn1990 lack rational. You haven’t even started any medical training yet make bold and biased claims. I caution anyone taking advice from you.

    Quote Originally Posted by drjohn1990 View Post
    don1,

    Just stop already. It's over. You lose.
    MUA Forum Moderator

  10. #10
    drjohn1990 is offline Permanently Banned 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    115
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don1 View Post
    How do you rationalize that. I finished medical school at MUA, completed residency, and nearly done fellowship. I am board certified specialist. Also, I just signed on to a great attending position. I get to practice the medicine I love and will make in 6 months what my entire MUA education cost me for 4 years.

    Your arguements drjohn1990 lack rational. You haven’t even started any medical training yet make bold and biased claims. I caution anyone taking advice from you.
    You can seriously stop now. You are absolutely none of those things and now you sound ridiculous. No doctor with that type of credentialing talks like that and/or becomes the moderator of the MUA forum on valuemd lol.

    I contacted the forum administrator to verify your credentials. If things check out and they can verify that you are all those things that you say you are, which I highly doubt, go ahead and spew whatever agenda it is you have. If they can't verify those things, then say bye bye to your new "role."

    I called you and SPODAT out on my very first post because you were the only two people posting YEAR AFTER YEAR about MUA when you two apparently were no longer students on the island and far-removed from the school as it currently exists. SPODAT is nowhere to be seen now but you've kicked it into overdrive for some reason. Do you not have patients to see or things to study for? I'm a prospective student, I can afford to post here lol. As far as some of those people messaging me personally, some are also saying that they don't believe who you are either. Think about that.

    Your postings sound more like advertisements. Read your last post carefully. You even mentioned how quickly you'll be able to pay your MUA loans off lol. Who talks like that?
    Last edited by drjohn1990; 06-25-2018 at 09:22 AM. Reason: I found more stupidity in don1's post so I had to respond.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. please help on choosing University
    By sleenis in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-03-2011, 01:22 AM
  2. choosing a school
    By AUCMD2006 in forum Premed Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-02-2008, 06:32 PM
  3. Why i am choosing SGU over AUC... let me know what u think
    By levator palpebrae in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 42
    Last Post: 01-19-2008, 09:41 PM
  4. need help choosing the university
    By remoz in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-18-2004, 01:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •