Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: MUA vs AUA

  1. #1
    Zdoc is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    MUA vs AUA

    Advertisements



    I was wondering if you guys could help me figure out if I should go to AUA or MUA. I've had an interview with AUA about a week ago and I'm waiting on a reply and MUA has accepted me but I'm in the 2 semester premed program befor I go to MD.

    AUA looks like the better school, with accreditation in New York, Florida, and California but they don't have US federal aid (yet, according to a student they have it, but its not in effect valuemd.com/american-university-antigua-aua/235820-title-iv-3.html#post1517483 )
    They also had some issues with cheating a few years back? Looks like it's blown over now and the people involved gone.

    MUA doesn't have California accreditation yet due to high professor turnover rates and high dropout/failure rates, but they do have the William D Ford loan program (different from Title IV). The lack of California accreditation does worry me a bit as far as residency goes.

    Also how is the quality of both schools, as in the education and facilities? From what I can tell both are fairly up to date schools with modern buildings. AUA does have a systems based curriculum which seems like it's a good thing. Seems like MUA is increasing their requirements to get California.

    If you guys have any advice about either school that would be helpful, as well as correcting me if I have any wrong info

  2. #2
    Med272016's Avatar
    Med272016 is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    71
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Zdoc,

    I honestly think your choice of either going to AUA and MUA is purely up to your personal preference. You have done a lot of research from what I can tell about both schools. I am finishing up my clinicals with MUA and applying for the Match this year. I really don't have anything to complain about the school - honestly, they got me to where I needed to be and I feel well prepared. I am sure AUA can do the same as well as I have rotated with many AUA students during my clinical rotations. Therefore, the choice is up to you.

    Don't let the California thing hold you up - I am sure MUA will get it, otherwise they would have flat out rejected the school and halted the approval process awhile ago. The school just has to make the necessary changes and have the site visit which takes time...but it will come. Even so, it should not effect you unless you plan on doing residency or practicing in the state of California or the states that follow the recommendations of their medical board. But like I said, you are coming in to the program at a good time and will likely see the approval happen during your 5+ semesters there.

    I would say apply to both and see what happens. You applied to MUA already and they accepted you into their pre-med program correct? Therefore, see if AUA will directly take you into their MD program. That is one factor you have to consider. The other factor you have to consider, which I didn't have the luxury of when I started at MUA is whether your financials and how you plan to finance you medical school education. AUA as of right now doesn't have many options for American grads, where as you mentioned MUA has been approved for federal loans.

    Therefore, what I am trying to say is the choice is totally up to you. Both schools will get you to where you need to get to if you put in the time and hard work. No one can make this kind of decision for you besides yourself.

    Just wanted to clarify something in your post for those who browse the forums as you mentioned "correcting me if I have any wrong info". You mentioned "MUA doesn't have California accreditation yet due to high professor turnover rates and high dropout/failure rates, but they do have the William D Ford loan program (different from Title IV)." Is the William D Ford Loan program different from Title IV? I was under the impression it wasn't. This is purely a question out of curiosity on my part because I was unaware that it wasn't...Therefore I had to do some research haha. If you go to http://www.direct.ed.gov/pubs/plusrights.pdf it states:

    1. The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.
    The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program includes the following types of loans, known collectively as “Direct Loans”:
    • Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loans (Direct Subsidized Loans)
    • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford/Ford Loans (Direct Unsubsidized Loans)
    • Federal Direct PLUS Loans (Direct PLUS Loans)
    • Federal Direct Consolidation Loans (Direct
    Consolidation Loans)
    The Direct Loan Program is authorized by Title IV, Part D, of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. 1070 et seq (HEA).

    Am I missing something?

    Anyway, not a big deal, just wanted clarification for my own curiosity. Wish you all the best and good luck! Not on here all that often but feel free to message me if you have any questions and I will do my best to help!
    MUA Basic Sciences: Med 1 [X] Med 2 [X] Med 3 [X] Med 4 [X] Med 5 [X] Step 1 [X]
    MUA Clinical Science: OBGYN [X] PEDS [X ] Int Med [X ] Surg [X ] Psych [X ] Step 2 CS [X] Step 2 CK [X]
    Electives - Family med [X] Heme/Onc [X] Int Med Sub-I [X] GI [X] ID [x] Endo [X] Cardiology [X] Pulm [X]
    2016 Residency Match [MATCHED Hidden Content ​]

  3. #3
    Zdoc is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Med272016 View Post
    Hi Zdoc,

    I honestly think your choice of either going to AUA and MUA is purely up to your personal preference. You have done a lot of research from what I can tell about both schools. I am finishing up my clinicals with MUA and applying for the Match this year. I really don't have anything to complain about the school - honestly, they got me to where I needed to be and I feel well prepared. I am sure AUA can do the same as well as I have rotated with many AUA students during my clinical rotations. Therefore, the choice is up to you.

    Don't let the California thing hold you up - I am sure MUA will get it, otherwise they would have flat out rejected the school and halted the approval process awhile ago. The school just has to make the necessary changes and have the site visit which takes time...but it will come. Even so, it should not effect you unless you plan on doing residency or practicing in the state of California or the states that follow the recommendations of their medical board. But like I said, you are coming in to the program at a good time and will likely see the approval happen during your 5+ semesters there.

    I would say apply to both and see what happens. You applied to MUA already and they accepted you into their pre-med program correct? Therefore, see if AUA will directly take you into their MD program. That is one factor you have to consider. The other factor you have to consider, which I didn't have the luxury of when I started at MUA is whether your financials and how you plan to finance you medical school education. AUA as of right now doesn't have many options for American grads, where as you mentioned MUA has been approved for federal loans.

    Therefore, what I am trying to say is the choice is totally up to you. Both schools will get you to where you need to get to if you put in the time and hard work. No one can make this kind of decision for you besides yourself.

    Just wanted to clarify something in your post for those who browse the forums as you mentioned "correcting me if I have any wrong info". You mentioned "MUA doesn't have California accreditation yet due to high professor turnover rates and high dropout/failure rates, but they do have the William D Ford loan program (different from Title IV)." Is the William D Ford Loan program different from Title IV? I was under the impression it wasn't. This is purely a question out of curiosity on my part because I was unaware that it wasn't...Therefore I had to do some research haha. If you go to it states:

    1. The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Program.
    The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program includes the following types of loans, known collectively as “Direct Loans”:
    • Federal Direct Stafford/Ford Loans (Direct Subsidized Loans)
    • Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford/Ford Loans (Direct Unsubsidized Loans)
    • Federal Direct PLUS Loans (Direct PLUS Loans)
    • Federal Direct Consolidation Loans (Direct
    Consolidation Loans)
    The Direct Loan Program is authorized by Title IV, Part D, of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. 1070 et seq (HEA).

    Am I missing something?

    Anyway, not a big deal, just wanted clarification for my own curiosity. Wish you all the best and good luck! Not on here all that often but feel free to message me if you have any questions and I will do my best to help!
    Thanks for your input Med272016! At this point I am leaning towards MUA, mainly because of the federal aid. The idea of living on a small island also seems intriguing haha

    As far as your question about the difference between William D. Ford loan program and Title IV, you are correct in William D. Ford including the various loans that you listed. Whereas Title IV is a more encompassing program containing loans as well as grants and work study.
    Title IV programs include:

    Loans
    Federal Family Education Loan (FFEL)
    Direct Loan
    Federal Perkins Loan

    Grants
    Federal Pell Grant
    Academic Competitiveness Grant (ACG)
    National SMART Grant
    Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)

    Federal Work-Study (FWS)
    Source: federalstudentaid. ed.gov/site/front2back/programs/programs/fb_03_01_0030.htm

  4. #4
    frickyz is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    22
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ive heard AUA sends its students to local hospitals. some consider AUA to be tier 1 (with the big 4) now. AUA is ranked higher than MUA. MUA is more affordable. I am at MUA currently. i hear its better than most carribean med schools. and I cant complain, its really good (so far, and i hope it remains that way)

  5. #5
    Akuma is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    17
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't know why AUA does not qualify for FAFSA loans. I thought getting recognized by California would mean the school is legit.

  6. #6
    gashopeful is offline Junior Member 529 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    61
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Akuma View Post
    I don't know why AUA does not qualify for FAFSA loans. I thought getting recognized by California would mean the school is legit.
    I guess they are one of the big 5 now!

  7. #7
    Shonk is offline Junior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    61
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This response might be a little too late, but I went to both schools. Started at MUA and finished at AUA (transferred for personal reasons). In residency now and I can say it really doesn't matter where you go to medschool in the Caribbean, for the most part. Getting into the top tier schools might fare well when it comes to interviews (marginally at that), but in order to truly get a residency you have to put in all the effort. Match is pretty tight for US-IMG's and it's all about your STEP scores now. I left a detailed response comparing my experiences at both schools in the AUA forum under a thread with the same title as this one. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
    PGY-5
    Vascular Neurology

  8. #8
    don1 is offline Moderator 547 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,347
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I agree.

    One thing to also consider is that you want to go to a school that is able to do the administration stuff when applying to residency in a timely manner. This you won't really know until you are in a position of applying and require them to complete paperwork. I went to MUA and was exceptionally pleased with their responsiveness to submitting paperwork and getting stuff done. I have heard other students at other schools having problems in this area.

    I also agree that the difference in going to a "larger more established" school is only marginally better. Going to any school in the caribbean itself means you are less competitive. larger more established schools have a greater proportion of competitive students, but they still have weak students; just like younger schools still have competitive students.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shonk View Post
    This response might be a little too late, but I went to both schools. Started at MUA and finished at AUA (transferred for personal reasons). In residency now and I can say it really doesn't matter where you go to medschool in the Caribbean, for the most part. Getting into the top tier schools might fare well when it comes to interviews (marginally at that), but in order to truly get a residency you have to put in all the effort. Match is pretty tight for US-IMG's and it's all about your STEP scores now. I left a detailed response comparing my experiences at both schools in the AUA forum under a thread with the same title as this one. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

  9. #9
    AspiringK is offline Newbie 511 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I, too, got accepted into MUA MD Program and have an interview with AUA next week. If accepted, I would need to decide where to go. I've researched extensively about both schools and each has their pros and cons. I currently am residing in California so AUA, having the Cali approval is a big thing to me. However, the program is much slower than MUA, which me being nontraditional, is a downside for me. I heard that AUA has a Global Health Program that is tied to FIU College of Medicine where you can complete your clinicals in FIU and gain a transcript from them as if you were a traditional American grad. I am not entirely sure about this. Has anyone heard of this and can shed some light?

    Also, I also read somewhere that MUA and AUA matched the same amount of grads into residencies in 2016. If this was the case, then with MUA's affordable tuition, I would much rather attend there and hope for Cali approval some time in the next few years. It is a big risk to take, but one can only hope for the best.

    **Sorry if this is a repeat post. I am a Newbie Lol.

  10. #10
    nonizondi is offline Junior Member 512 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    41
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AspiringK View Post
    I, too, got accepted into MUA MD Program and have an interview with AUA next week. If accepted, I would need to decide where to go. I've researched extensively about both schools and each has their pros and cons. I currently am residing in California so AUA, having the Cali approval is a big thing to me. However, the program is much slower than MUA, which me being nontraditional, is a downside for me. I heard that AUA has a Global Health Program that is tied to FIU College of Medicine where you can complete your clinicals in FIU and gain a transcript from them as if you were a traditional American grad. I am not entirely sure about this. Has anyone heard of this and can shed some light?

    Also, I also read somewhere that MUA and AUA matched the same amount of grads into residencies in 2016. If this was the case, then with MUA's affordable tuition, I would much rather attend there and hope for Cali approval some time in the next few years. It is a big risk to take, but one can only hope for the best.

    **Sorry if this is a repeat post. I am a Newbie Lol.
    Ahem.... you want to enroll in the global MD program that would cost you an additional $10k in tuition and 2 weeks of your break lol. In the name of whatever you believe in pls don't do it. By the time you take your first block exam the pressure, tension and anxiety kicks in. Whatever fancy certificate AUA would give you is worthless apart from good step scores and evaluations . We just finished the first semester and most of the global MD students didn't even stay until the end of the semester because AUA was so cut throat and brutal. And one more thing, don't get an off-campus housing until when you are about to enter your third or fourth semester because things can go south and you won't get refund for your lease . Gosh, I'm not supposed to let y'all know this but I don't wan't people to get ripped off. I promise to keep my mouth shut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •