Sponsored Links
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 69
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Good and cheap medical education?

  1. #1
    Arsirocker is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Good and cheap medical education?

    Hello everyone!

    My names's Arslan and I'm a US citizen but lived/studied all my life in Pakistan, my future plan being - becoming a doctor and then moving to US for residency and settling there.

    I have just completed my A-levels with 2A's & 1 B. and now I'm thinking of getting medical education from outside Pakistan... because getting into public medical colleges is pretty hard here. Can the people with appropriate knowledge in this field guide me as to which countries give u good and reasonably priced medical education (or scholarships :P)! (keeping in view I will have to give USMLE too)
    I've heard of china... but not sure if the medical education there is good.. if any1 can give me details as to which universities in China are good for MBBS?

    thanks in advance for ur answers :P

  2. #21
    bidiboom is offline Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    1,339
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Advertisements



    DD for European schools I think in the same way with you.. but I was talking about Carrib. schools.. actually for I didnt make any research about those schools and talk just with a bad impression, its totally throwing stone to the darkness.. but very roughly I think it wont be wrong if I say that because many of Carrib. schools are not legitimate, its putting an impression shadow on all of them in the region..

    your words should apply for the Carrib. schools as well (for the Big 4), just I must make some real, serious research, but because I dont (and wont) have a bee-sss degree, and because Carrib. schools are working in the same format with their US counterparts (4 years programs for bee-sss degrees) to make research is getting pointless.. so I go on with my impressions about those schools and dont take a step forward in research about them.. lazy woman

    By the way guys.. dont give your gonads to anybody.. noway! ..you will, well the whole humanity will, need them later.. rotations are repeatable.. but gonads.. ??
    asclepius likes this.

  3. #22
    asclepius is offline Moderator 513 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    rochester, ny
    Posts
    251
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bidiboom View Post
    your words should apply for the Carrib. schools as well (for the Big 4), just I must make some real, serious research, but because I dont (and wont) have a bee-sss degree, and because Carrib. schools are working in the same format with their US counterparts (4 years programs for bee-sss degrees) to make research is getting pointless.. so I go on with my impressions about those schools and dont take a step forward in research about them.. lazy woman
    i just wanted to interject here that i didn't have a bachelors degree prior to entering a caribbean medical school. i went to the pre-med program at MUA first and then on to the med program there. the school awards both a bachelors and the MD.
    MUA Nevis Forum Moderator
    Physician & Webpreneur

    MDSalaries - editor
    Compare Caribbean Medical Schools - editor
    Scutwork - Chief Operating Officer

  4. #23
    NUHS-AUC is offline Permanently Banned 535 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Multiple Accounts
    Posts
    195
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Warning: Cheap is expensive

    Cheap is expensive, Program directors are well aware of disparity in medical education from "cheap medical schools" therefore, wouldn't recommend them to anyone.......sure you can earn your "MD" at these schools, but, will fail the USMLEs or not match....too high of a risk !!

    You get what you pay for applies to medical education as well


    Quote Originally Posted by Arsirocker View Post
    Hello everyone!

    My names's Arslan and I'm a US citizen but lived/studied all my life in Pakistan, my future plan being - becoming a doctor and then moving to US for residency and settling there.

    I have just completed my A-levels with 2A's & 1 B. and now I'm thinking of getting medical education from outside Pakistan... because getting into public medical colleges is pretty hard here. Can the people with appropriate knowledge in this field guide me as to which countries give u good and reasonably priced medical education (or scholarships :P)! (keeping in view I will have to give USMLE too)
    I've heard of china... but not sure if the medical education there is good.. if any1 can give me details as to which universities in China are good for MBBS?

    thanks in advance for ur answers :P

  5. #24
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12699 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,149
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Really? You would warn people about the quality of medical education in Germany, Switzerland, or France? Because there is little doubt that they offer some of the best medical schools in the world, despite their low cost.

    Or perhaps you were talking strictly about cheap Carib schools...

    Quote Originally Posted by NUHS-AUC View Post
    Cheap is expensive, Program directors are well aware of disparity in medical education from "cheap medical schools" therefore, wouldn't recommend them to anyone.......sure you can earn your "MD" at these schools, but, will fail the USMLEs or not match....too high of a risk !!

    You get what you pay for applies to medical education as well


    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


  6. #25
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12699 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,149
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am surprised to learn this, asclepius! I am glad that it all worked out for you. You have had no licensing issues thus far, I trust? How many years did it take to complete the bachelor's degree curriculum before they would allow you to advance to the medical program?

    Quote Originally Posted by asclepius View Post
    i just wanted to interject here that i didn't have a bachelors degree prior to entering a caribbean medical school. i went to the pre-med program at MUA first and then on to the med program there. the school awards both a bachelors and the MD.

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


  7. #26
    bidiboom is offline Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    1,339
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asclepius View Post
    i just wanted to interject here that i didn't have a bachelors degree prior to entering a caribbean medical school. i went to the pre-med program at MUA first and then on to the med program there. the school awards both a bachelors and the MD.
    I found it surprising too.. first, thank you for this info, its very much important for all of us thinking in the way I do.. and I would like to hear your answer for DD's questions as well..

  8. #27
    asclepius is offline Moderator 513 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    rochester, ny
    Posts
    251
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devildoc8404 View Post
    I am surprised to learn this, asclepius! I am glad that it all worked out for you. You have had no licensing issues thus far, I trust? How many years did it take to complete the bachelor's degree curriculum before they would allow you to advance to the medical program?
    i just got licensed in NY a couple days ago! that was exciting. i didn't have any problems with my credentials, rotations, or schooling.

    the premed program at MUA is 8 months long if you start at premed 1. i had a couple classmates that came in at premed 2 (so they had 4 months). i think i had like 60-70 credits before i went into the pre-med program. then MUA used the premed credits plus some from the medical curriculum too to award the bachelors.
    MUA Nevis Forum Moderator
    Physician & Webpreneur

    MDSalaries - editor
    Compare Caribbean Medical Schools - editor
    Scutwork - Chief Operating Officer

  9. #28
    NUHS-AUC is offline Permanently Banned 535 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Multiple Accounts
    Posts
    195
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    BSc to MD programs in Caribbean schools

    That's great, however, I do believe that obtaining BOTH a BSc and MD from the same caribbean school, is not the same as first completing your BSc (120 credits) from an undergraduate program in the US....many caribbean schools offer a "quick" BSc then an "MD" in order to attract low tier or in some cases highschool graduates from the states, that can't get high enough of a GPA in order to get into medical school.....while making more $$$ both on your BSc and MD degree....

    I'm a bit old fashioned that way, but, getting a BSc from any IVY U, and MD from IVY U is not the same as getting a BSc and MD from MUA or any other Carib school for that matter....

    My 4 years BSc in biochemistry from UIC, was WAY harder to obtain than any BSc that is offered from a Carib med school....



    Quote Originally Posted by asclepius View Post
    i just got licensed in NY a couple days ago! that was exciting. i didn't have any problems with my credentials, rotations, or schooling.

    the premed program at MUA is 8 months long if you start at premed 1. i had a couple classmates that came in at premed 2 (so they had 4 months). i think i had like 60-70 credits before i went into the pre-med program. then MUA used the premed credits plus some from the medical curriculum too to award the bachelors.

  10. #29
    bidiboom is offline Permanently Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Istanbul/Turkey
    Posts
    1,339
    Downloads
    1
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by asclepius View Post
    i just got licensed in NY a couple days ago! that was exciting. i didn't have any problems with my credentials, rotations, or schooling.

    the premed program at MUA is 8 months long if you start at premed 1. i had a couple classmates that came in at premed 2 (so they had 4 months). i think i had like 60-70 credits before i went into the pre-med program. then MUA used the premed credits plus some from the medical curriculum too to award the bachelors.
    Congratulations asclepius I am happy for you I hope all everything goes well..

    hmm.. so those schools too are getting under my lense.. but because in any case I will have to have first some personal study and pass some tests, I still have a luxury of being lazy in real school research for some more time

    But I would like to hear your personal comment on your school.. with an objective stance, as much as possible, what is your opinion about it? Does it deserve for instance to pay that money and spend that time there? Would you recommend? I would like to hear all you can say about it and by the way, I think you are a US citizen, right? By the respect of FMGs how is the rate of success in USMLE and residency match? Could you observe those points?

    I dumped all those questions before you, sorry.. but everything you can say is valuable..
    Last edited by bidiboom; 09-10-2011 at 09:24 AM.

  11. #30
    asclepius is offline Moderator 513 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    rochester, ny
    Posts
    251
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    NUHS-AUC, thanks and i agree it's not the same. i think that's obvious. it's a completely different route.

    bidiboom, thanks and good luck with finding the right school for you.
    MUA Nevis Forum Moderator
    Physician & Webpreneur

    MDSalaries - editor
    Compare Caribbean Medical Schools - editor
    Scutwork - Chief Operating Officer

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2017, 12:07 AM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 08:35 AM
  3. Which caribbean medical schools offer good education for the money?
    By footdoc in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-17-2007, 04:18 PM
  4. Education vs Medical Education in ERAS Application
    By TheOne_1 in forum Residency Match Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2006, 11:39 AM
  5. Medical School in the Carib.: good education or extended vac
    By azskeptic in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 12-23-2003, 11:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •