Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 70
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Tuition free Medical universities in Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Holland for non-EU

  1. #1
    shubham is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    39
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Tuition free Medical universities in Germany, Switzerland, Sweden, Holland for non-EU

    Advertisements



    i have searched a lot for tuition free universities. as we all know that 2010 was the last year for free education in these countries but even now many universities provide tuition free education for non-EU. my parents can't afford much for my education (i am indian). therefore i badly need to know the names and admission procedures of these universities. Charte university in Berlin told me that i need to clear IIT-JEE in india for taking admission in their university. but it can never be possible because IIT-JEE is entrance exam for taking seat in Indian Institute of Technology. and the entrance is based on physics, chem, and maths.... and i never studied maths in my high school as i was a bio student. and suppose if someone cleared entrance of their country's most reputed university's then why the hell he'll look for other options and stay away from family?? after that i started searching for other universities but they haven't given any information on their websites. therefore i badly need to know about universities other than that of Germany.
    anyone having knowledge about this please please help me. i have nowhere and nobody for guidance. internet is useless regarding this as they don't speak English and we can't understand their languages. and hence we can't contact residing people even though they can inform us about this. i am so in helplessness..!!!
    please help me out...!!
    abdelrhmanghreeb likes this.

  2. #2
    Cutaneoplast™ is offline Junior Member 514 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    86
    Downloads
    5
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shubham View Post
    i have searched a lot for tuition free universities. as we all know that 2010 was the last year for free education in these countries but even now many universities provide tuition free education for non-EU. my parents can't afford much for my education (i am indian). therefore i badly need to know the names and admission procedures of these universities. Charte university in Berlin told me that i need to clear IIT-JEE in india for taking admission in their university. but it can never be possible because IIT-JEE is entrance exam for taking seat in Indian Institute of Technology. and the entrance is based on physics, chem, and maths.... and i never studied maths in my high school as i was a bio student. and suppose if someone cleared entrance of their country's most reputed university's then why the hell he'll look for other options and stay away from family?? after that i started searching for other universities but they haven't given any information on their websites. therefore i badly need to know about universities other than that of Germany.
    anyone having knowledge about this please please help me. i have nowhere and nobody for guidance. internet is useless regarding this as they don't speak English and we can't understand their languages. and hence we can't contact residing people even though they can inform us about this. i am so in helplessness..!!!
    please help me out...!!
    Hey, I've just sent you a PM (Private Message). Please reply back to me. (: Don't let money hinder you from doing what you really want in life. If you must, borrow student loans, win scholarships, etc.
    abdelrhmanghreeb likes this.

  3. #3
    shubham is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    39
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by !PsyChirurgus! View Post
    Hey, I've just sent you a PM (Private Message). Please reply back to me. (: Don't let money hinder you from doing what you really want in life. If you must, borrow student loans, win scholarships, etc.
    okay sure..!!!

  4. #4
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12699 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The websites are not in English because they don't teach in English. Even if you are admitted to medical school in Germany (or any other western EU country, for that matter) you will be required to study in the native language of that country. The price is right, yes, but English is not the language of instruction.

    I know that Austria and Switzerland have seats set aside for foreign students at their medical schools, which are excellent. But again, they will be teaching in German. Until you have a reasonable (meaning "quite good") fluency in the language, you're not going to be able to study there.

    Ireland has excellent schools that teach in English, but they are very expensive for foreigners. However, I echo the above poster... look for loans, scholarships, or whatever else you can find to get what you want.
    abdelrhmanghreeb likes this.

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


  5. #5
    shubham is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    39
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devildoc8404 View Post
    The websites are not in English because they don't teach in English. Even if you are admitted to medical school in Germany (or any other western EU country, for that matter) you will be required to study in the native language of that country. The price is right, yes, but English is not the language of instruction.

    I know that Austria and Switzerland have seats set aside for foreign students at their medical schools, which are excellent. But again, they will be teaching in German. Until you have a reasonable (meaning "quite good") fluency in the language, you're not going to be able to study there.

    Ireland has excellent schools that teach in English, but they are very expensive for foreigners. However, I echo the above poster... look for loans, scholarships, or whatever else you can find to get what you want.
    thanks a lot devil doc for your straight and simple but clear response... i am really thank full to you.
    my brother is in USA employed in IT sector. he wants me to work in US after my graduation. he says that there will be shortage of more than 2000 docs there by the year of 2020.... but it's pretty much difficult to get license there through USMLE. my parents cannot afford for my studies in US. i am thinking of other way round for it. what i am planning is: 1st i'll complete my graduation i.e. MD from Russia. then i'll come back to India and work for few months here. and simultaneously i'll be preparing for USMLE.
    but the point to worry is that what's the guarantee of me passing USMLE with Russian education in my head..?? what do you say about it? is medical education in Russia is good enough for MLEs...???

  6. #6
    shubham is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    39
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    if not Russia then what about Ukraine or Belarus or Romania???

  7. #7
    devildoc8404's Avatar
    devildoc8404 is offline Ultimate Member 12699 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Confoederatio Helvetica
    Posts
    5,146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Your brother is mistaken... there is already a shortage of more than 2000 doctors per year in the US. However, because of the opening of new medical schools in the US, it will be getting harder in the coming years, and not easier, for foreign medical graduates to enter residency training in the US... especially without a green card or US citizenship. This means that you will need very good scores on the USMLE, and some USCE (clinical experience) to make yourself an attractive candidate for specialty training in the US.

    There is no guarantee that you will pass the USMLE, no matter where you study medicine. You need to learn the material, that is the determining factor. Whether you study in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Romania, Bulgaria, or anywhere else, the main point is that you will need to study diligently to be able to pass the USMLE... the information is the same, of course, but remember that the teaching may or may not be very good. That will vary from university to university, and often from professor to professor. Wherever you go to school, I STRONGLY urge you NOT to wait until after you have graduated to take the USMLE Steps 1, 2CS, and 2CK! Take these exams during the summers while the material is fresh in your head (you can be prepared to take Step 1 after 3rd or 4th year, depending on the curriculum, and Step 2CK the year after that... Step 2CS is the clinical skills test with patients, and that can only be completed in the US). Also, taking the exams during school means that you will be ready to apply for residency training through the match right after graduation, rather than wasting time.

    Good luck to you -- I hope that you find a school that you can afford and will prepare you well as a physician.
    abdelrhmanghreeb likes this.

    "When I haven't any
    blue... I use red
    ."
    - Pablo Picasso

    BA - Oregon MS - BYU MD - MU-Sofia
    Clinical Research Fellow / Resident
    Fleet Marine Force Hospital Corpsman 1996-2003


  8. #8
    waltfw is offline Senior Member 519 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Oradea, Romnia
    Posts
    599
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Everything that Devildoc said, and I would add that you should be attentive to the time limits for passing all parts of the USMLE. That is to say, most states require you pass all portions of the USMLE within 7 years of each other. This can cause problems if you take Step 1 and Step 2 early, and wait to take step 3.

    People from all over the world pass USMLE, but I can say from my own experience in Romania that many people here do not approach their studying with the kind of seriousness required to do so. You need self discipline because the curriculum will not push you very much, and many of your colleagues will be enjoying themselves while you lock yourself in the library. There will be gaps and differences in the curriculum that you'll have to make up in addition to your regular studying. For example my university teaches anatomy in an entirely different way than US medical schools do it. On our exam there wasn't a single question with a clinical orientation. So this means I have to study the subject twice, according to two different curriculums. In theory everything would overlap, but it's not so simple in practice and you've still got to spend time finding supplemental resources and figure out what you should learn.

    Something else to consider is living in Germany for a year or two in order to study German full time. This might give you the fluency you need to study medicine there. You could also try Spain, as I think they offer free tuition programs. This would also avoid problems of 50-state accreditation since you'd be studying in the native language of your host country (the english language programs in eastern europe, Ukraine, and Russia are not recognized in California and a couple of other states, for example). You could study basic math, biology, and chemistry in your free time.
    Last edited by waltfw; 01-27-2011 at 08:32 AM.
    abdelrhmanghreeb likes this.

  9. #9
    shubham is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    39
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by devildoc8404 View Post
    Your brother is mistaken... there is already a shortage of more than 2000 doctors per year in the US. However, because of the opening of new medical schools in the US, it will be getting harder in the coming years, and not easier, for foreign medical graduates to enter residency training in the US... especially without a green card or US citizenship. This means that you will need very good scores on the USMLE, and some USCE (clinical experience) to make yourself an attractive candidate for specialty training in the US.

    There is no guarantee that you will pass the USMLE, no matter where you study medicine. You need to learn the material, that is the determining factor. Whether you study in Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, Romania, Bulgaria, or anywhere else, the main point is that you will need to study diligently to be able to pass the USMLE... the information is the same, of course, but remember that the teaching may or may not be very good. That will vary from university to university, and often from professor to professor. Wherever you go to school, I STRONGLY urge you NOT to wait until after you have graduated to take the USMLE Steps 1, 2CS, and 2CK! Take these exams during the summers while the material is fresh in your head (you can be prepared to take Step 1 after 3rd or 4th year, depending on the curriculum, and Step 2CK the year after that... Step 2CS is the clinical skills test with patients, and that can only be completed in the US). Also, taking the exams during school means that you will be ready to apply for residency training through the match right after graduation, rather than wasting time.

    Good luck to you -- I hope that you find a school that you can afford and will prepare you well as a physician.
    thanks a lot devildoc... your entire post was of greatest help for me..!! we all need many more genuine helping docs like you and waltfw....
    take care...xx

  10. #10
    shubham is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    39
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waltfw View Post
    Everything that Devildoc said, and I would add that you should be attentive to the time limits for passing all parts of the USMLE. That is to say, most states require you pass all portions of the USMLE within 7 years of each other. This can cause problems if you take Step 1 and Step 2 early, and wait to take step 3.

    People from all over the world pass USMLE, but I can say from my own experience in Romania that many people here do not approach their studying with the kind of seriousness required to do so. You need self discipline because the curriculum will not push you very much, and many of your colleagues will be enjoying themselves while you lock yourself in the library. There will be gaps and differences in the curriculum that you'll have to make up in addition to your regular studying. For example my university teaches anatomy in an entirely different way than US medical schools do it. On our exam there wasn't a single question with a clinical orientation. So this means I have to study the subject twice, according to two different curriculums. In theory everything would overlap, but it's not so simple in practice and you've still got to spend time finding supplemental resources and figure out what you should learn.

    Something else to consider is living in Germany for a year or two in order to study German full time. This might give you the fluency you need to study medicine there. You could also try Spain, as I think they offer free tuition programs. This would also avoid problems of 50-state accreditation since you'd be studying in the native language of your host country (the English language programs in eastern Europe, Ukraine, and Russia are not recognized in California and a couple of other states, for example). You could study basic math, biology, and chemistry in your free time.
    hi waltfw... thanks a ton for enlightening me about Romania. i would not keep it in my list now!!:P..... about California, i can say that i don't want such prosperous states... he he he... personally i want to be somewhere like Forks, Nashville, etc. where population is very less comparing to other states of US and the climate is colder... anyways, these are just my desires. but the aim is to serve mankind. anyhow, i have abolished all the thoughts of studying in Germany. I'll stick to Russia now. i just need to search a good university with nice professors and good environment for studies. i really don't want to fool around during these six academic years, as you said...!!
    i have Kazan state medical university(tatarstan), Smolensk state medical academy (Smolensk), and Northern state medical university (Arkhangelsk) in my list and about these universities i think all three are good (as i got to know after 3 months of research through internet)....
    but i can't say internally(faculty wise) how far these can take us regarding studies..!!!
    if you have, by chance, any knowledge regarding any of Russian institution then please do inform me... but leave academies of Moscow and St Petersburgh... i've been reading about skin heads there more frequently..!!
    by the what do you think about Tbilisi state medical university (Georgia)...???
    please reply whenever you get free time... thanks again... take care...!!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Study in Ukrainian Medical Universities And Medical Universities in Europe
    By royalagency in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2011, 01:04 PM
  2. Medical residency in sweden
    By Alireza maleki in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-24-2009, 12:25 PM
  3. Medical school in Germany?
    By dannybruin03 in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-21-2009, 11:40 AM
  4. Germany/Czech-Medical
    By Canuck911 in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 05:26 PM
  5. Medical School in Germany?
    By jonrandellsmith in forum Canadian IMG
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-14-2005, 09:36 AM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •