Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1
    LarryL is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Different Syllabi in Eastern European Schools

    Advertisements



    I got some questions on which school to choose.
    Why do some schools offer physical education, latin, informatics and such stuff which is not really about medicine while others dont?
    Are the schools that do offer it just more time consuming or are other important subjects shortened like anatomy or physiology?
    Which type of medschool would you suggest?
    Which countries are know for hard (and good? in parentheses because the one thing maybe not goes with the other) education, which are known for the opposite? Or within the countries which schools?

  2. #2
    Miklos is offline Elite Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,243
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryL
    I got some questions on which school to choose.
    Why do some schools offer physical education, latin, informatics and such stuff which is not really about medicine while others dont? Are the schools that do offer it just more time consuming or are other important subjects shortened like anatomy or physiology?
    Coming from a school that offered all those, I can simply answer as to why. Because, the faculty (and/or national curriculum) mandates them. Informatics may include biostatistics, which is essential (asked on the USMLE). Understanding the couple dozen Latin (and some Greek) words makes Anatomy and Pathology more understandable. PE is mandated so that you get some exercise. Do these take away from the important subjects? I don't think so, as getting past them is much, much easier.

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryL
    Which type of medschool would you suggest?
    Depends on your background. What's your level of education. Do you have a bachelor's? If so, in what field? Do you have premed pre-reqs? What's your MCAT?

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryL
    Which countries are know for hard (and good? in parentheses because the one thing maybe not goes with the other) education, which are known for the opposite? Or within the countries which schools?
    The below is so generalized that it does not have much meaning in real life, as schools vary widely. But, very generally;

    Simply brutal: Hungary.
    Not so brutal, but still tough, Czech Republic.
    Poland: Varies from school to school (many more of them), but generally thought of as more lenient than Hungary.

  3. #3
    oritsegee is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    67
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Miklos,

    when you say 'brutal', what exactly do you mean?
    GL

  4. #4
    Miklos is offline Elite Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,243
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oritsegee
    Miklos,

    when you say 'brutal', what exactly do you mean?
    I've seen plenty of people transfer, during basic sciences to other places:
    • Norway (native gained enough points for admission)
    • Sweden (several Scandinavians passed the transfer exam and won the transfer lottery)
    • Germany (German speakers able to transfer)
    • CR (left for academic reasons)
    • Poland (left for academic reasons)
    • Various Carib schools (usually for US clinicals)
    • Serbia, Romania (considered options of last resort)
    They all told me that academically the new school they were attending was a whole lot easier.

    Apart from a person who pm'd me on this forum (Poland to Hungary due to California -- who BTW also characterized Poland as lenient compared to Hungary), I've yet to see someone coming from the other direction.
    Last edited by Miklos; 02-21-2006 at 05:34 AM.

  5. #5
    neongoat is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    171
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    As far as education goes, a more important question for the students who plan to get a residency in either Canada (hehe) or US after they graduate may be, How well does the school prepare you for the USMLE? A tough, traditional, and rigorous basic sciences curriculum will probably do this for most people, but a curriculum designed to specifically prepare students for the USMLE may accomplish the same thing with less focus on memorization and unnecessary details. Here at UJ, I don't think there is much correlation between the students who are making 100% on the basic science tests and the students who will score the highest on the USMLE. The testing style and approach of the USMLE is very different than most of our evaluations here, unfortunately. In the end though, I think good USMLE scores are more important than whether you got A's or C's throughout med school.


    This wasn't really the exact topic of the thread, but you know how that goes...
    year 2 of 4, Jagiellonian University, Krakow, Poland (in spirit at least Hidden Content )

  6. #6
    LarryL is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you all for the answers!
    My main goal is to learn the stuff I am asked at the USMLE, because I would like to practice in the US later, after completion of a 6 year program.
    Why are Romania and Serbia considered as options for last resort? As for the language Romania seems to be the first choice of those EE States.
    How about Ukraine or Croatia?
    Are there special preparation courses for the USMLE Steps which I could take in addition?

  7. #7
    Miklos is offline Elite Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,243
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryL
    Thank you all for the answers!
    My main goal is to learn the stuff I am asked at the USMLE, because I would like to practice in the US later, after completion of a 6 year program.

    [SNIP]

    Are there special preparation courses for the USMLE Steps which I could take in addition?
    IMO, no European program is truly designed for the USMLE.

    I always recommend that one consider budgeting for a review class up front. There are several.

    Quote Originally Posted by LarryL
    Why are Romania and Serbia considered as options for last resort? As for the language Romania seems to be the first choice of those EE States.
    How about Ukraine or Croatia?
    Ukraine, Romania and Serbia are cheaper than the other programs partly because they are outside the EU (Romania has a preliminary join date of 2007 -- might be pushed to 2008), partly because their economies are less developed (yes, I know that this a circular argument).

    They also suffer from corruption (please don't bother with a flame post -- instead read the EU's country reports or alternatively look at Transparency International's Corruption Perception Index).

    In the case of Serbia and Romania, I know people who flunked out of Hungarian schools who had no problem continuing their education there.

    Croatia is probably a better bet, but much more expensive thanks to Zagreb prices and the strength of the kuna, despite being outside the EU and currently without a date to join the EU (though some independent observers feel that the country may be ahead of Romania and Bulgaria in many ways, including the economy).

    Of course, this all depends on how you plan on financing your education and whether you have language fluency and/or cultural connections to a certain country.
    Last edited by Miklos; 02-21-2006 at 11:18 AM.

  8. #8
    Orphan's Avatar
    Orphan is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    146
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    russian univ

    they stress pretty much on hygiene..less on pharma..
    A guy is doing push-ups on the beach. A sardar sees him and bursts out laughing. The sardar approaches the guy and tells him "Excuse me, i'm sorry to disturb you, but i wanted you to know that the woman under you has left."

  9. #9
    LarryL is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Are you sure about Romanian, Serbian, Ukrainian med schools being easier?
    Maybe the people just thought that the new university they were attending was easier, because they repeated the year? They had to repeat the year, didn't they?
    Did someone tell you that he faced corruption? Was it to pay for passing the tests, even if they knew everything?

  10. #10
    Miklos is offline Elite Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    2,243
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryL
    Are you sure about Romanian, Serbian, Ukrainian med schools being easier?
    Maybe the people just thought that the new university they were attending was easier, because they repeated the year? They had to repeat the year, didn't they?
    Not at their new school, which is precisely the problem.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Loans for Eastern European dental schools?
    By nillyaway in forum Dental
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2010, 06:30 PM
  2. Eastern European Medical Schools
    By Insha87 in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 02-25-2007, 01:52 PM
  3. considering Eastern European/Russian schools--pls. advise
    By slavophilenyc in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-22-2005, 06:10 PM
  4. Age Restrictions for Eastern European schools.
    By Sfuller43 in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-12-2004, 11:10 PM
  5. MCQ'S FOR Eastern European Medical Schools
    By DonalOD in forum Main European Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-29-2004, 05:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •