Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    cutelilMD's Avatar
    cutelilMD is offline Member 527 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    452
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Basic science at IAU

    Advertisements



    My philosophy about learning is not to make student fail, but to actually spend more time with them. I heard a lot of caribbean schools out there have a high fail rate in their first two years of basic sciences. Also, the ones that pass probably didn't get a good grasp of the science concept becuz they were busy trying to memorize every detail to pass the course. Therefore screwing up their step scores.
    What I want to know about IAU is:

    1) are they in pass/fail system or not
    2)what is the percent the student need to score on the course in order to pass it without retaking it
    3) are the courses curved or they go by the standards
    4) what is the quality of the basic science course? like does it prepare u well for the steps
    5) do the school have a high fail rate?
    6) do professors teach with powerpoint presentation, or the students have to read the book on their own
    7) are exams more from the powerpoint, notes, or text book

    these questions will help me and other students to have a better grasp on what their courses would be like in their first two years.

    Thanx
    xoxo

  2. #2
    deepk is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    75
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IAU was once among the top medical school but ever since Dean K and his wife have left the level of education has detiriorated.

    For excellent quality education join MUA NEVIS

  3. #3
    cutelilMD's Avatar
    cutelilMD is offline Member 527 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    452
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    IAU is very new so it was never a top medical school to begin with, but it does have potential.

    Also where the hell did u get dis info???

  4. #4
    dr.kidd is offline Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cutelilMD View Post
    My philosophy about learning is not to make student fail, but to actually spend more time with them. I heard a lot of caribbean schools out there have a high fail rate in their first two years of basic sciences. Also, the ones that pass probably didn't get a good grasp of the science concept becuz they were busy trying to memorize every detail to pass the course. Therefore screwing up their step scores.
    What I want to know about IAU is:

    1) are they in pass/fail system or not
    2)what is the percent the student need to score on the course in order to pass it without retaking it
    3) are the courses curved or they go by the standards
    4) what is the quality of the basic science course? like does it prepare u well for the steps
    5) do the school have a high fail rate?
    6) do professors teach with powerpoint presentation, or the students have to read the book on their own
    7) are exams more from the powerpoint, notes, or text book

    these questions will help me and other students to have a better grasp on what their courses would be like in their first two years.

    Thanx
    xoxo
    1. The school follows a Pass/Fail system.
    2. Minimum passing score is 70% for all courses.
    3. I have no clue on curving policy. I think it varies between semsters based on average class performance. We have a Promotions Committee which is in charge of examinations/grading/curving etc. You should probably ask some one in administration to shed more light into this.
    4. The basic science coursework pretty much mirrors US medical schools. We take the NBME shelf exams and complete a USMLE review program. How well you do in the USMLE depends on individual study habits and retention capabilities.
    5. I am not sure if you meant USMLE or individual courses. The student handbook says Step1 must be completed within a maximum of 3 attempts. Individual courses may be repeated until you pass that course.
    6. Of course you read the required text books for each course before you go to class. Powerpoint presentations are widely used by all professors.
    7. There are 6 mini exams per semester that covers materials discussed in class. These 6 exams make up 30% of your semester grade. The remaining 70% is the NBME shelfs.

    Hope this helps.
    Last edited by dr.kidd; 09-26-2010 at 07:41 AM.

  5. #5
    deepk is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    75
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cutelilMD View Post
    My philosophy about learning is not to make student fail, but to actually spend more time with them. I heard a lot of caribbean schools out there have a high fail rate in their first two years of basic sciences. Also, the ones that pass probably didn't get a good grasp of the science concept becuz they were busy trying to memorize every detail to pass the course. Therefore screwing up their step scores.
    What I want to know about IAU is:

    1) are they in pass/fail system or not
    2)what is the percent the student need to score on the course in order to pass it without retaking it
    3) are the courses curved or they go by the standards
    xoxo
    Don't worry about curving the exam and passing the subjects. This is the only occasion when the administation will never let you down as they take personal interest and make sure that all the students should clear the exams. The administration is quite generous with curving the scores and even a monkey can pass their exam.

  6. #6
    cutelilMD's Avatar
    cutelilMD is offline Member 527 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    452
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I know Ross university have a ridiculously high fail rate. I just want to know if IAU is like Ross in which they make the material extremely difficult that only 5percent of the students past.

    Also if a student were to only study lecture notes and power points in the class, will that be sufficient enough to do decent on the mini quizes and the final.

    note: I'm not being lazy just trying to get a deeper insight on how future students can study and approach their first two years of basic sciences.

  7. #7
    dr.kidd is offline Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, it is extremely difficult to score a 85 or higher on the USMLE Step 1. And hence I can understand why schools use tough final exams. IAU uses NBME shelf exams and a score of 70% or higher is required to pass the semester. Often the internal exams (also know as mini exams) are of NBME/USMLE standards. If you can consistently do well in the mini exams, there is a high corelation to do well in the final NBME shelfs as well. The mini exams form 30% of your semester grade, while the NBME is the other 70%. In total, you need a minimum of 70% to pass the course. If not you end up repeating the class.

  8. #8
    cutelilMD's Avatar
    cutelilMD is offline Member 527 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    452
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    so if I study the powerpoints and lecture notes, will that be enough to do well on the mini quizes and the final exam??
    or are we talking about in depth reading of all the chapters from the text books, powerpoints, and lectures???

    I ask because it helps me get a sense what their teaching style is like

    for example my school is lecture/powerpoint oriented so that means if u fall asleep in lecture you will fail despite reading the text book.

  9. #9
    deepk is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    75
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cutelilMD View Post
    so if I study the powerpoints and lecture notes, will that be enough to do well on the mini quizes and the final exam??
    or are we talking about in depth reading of all the chapters from the text books, powerpoints, and lectures???

    I ask because it helps me get a sense what their teaching style is like

    for example my school is lecture/powerpoint oriented so that means if u fall asleep in lecture you will fail despite reading the text book.
    If you fall asleep during the class don't worry. Just make sure that you read the powerpoints as this is what the so called professors do.

  10. #10
    dr.kidd is offline Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    173
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Please stop baseless claims.

    Quote Originally Posted by deepk View Post
    Don't worry about curving the exam and passing the subjects. This is the only occasion when the administation will never let you down as they take personal interest and make sure that all the students should clear the exams. The administration is quite generous with curving the scores and even a monkey can pass their exam.
    Quote Originally Posted by deepk View Post
    If you fall asleep during the class don't worry. Just make sure that you read the powerpoints as this is what the so called professors do.
    6 -8 internal exams are created by the professor along the guidelines set by the curriculum committee and counts towards 30% of the semester grade.The final NBME shelf exam counts towards the remaining 70% of the semester grade.

    Out of 100 you need to score 70% or higher for a PASS grade. If you consistently score over 80% in all exams, then you get a PASS w HONORS.

    All this is clearly explained in the student handbook on the school website. Irrevelant or zero questions are considered for curving purposes in corelation to the national and class averages and at the sole discretion of the Promotions Committee. No one else will interfere in the academic grading process, however unless a student appeals and then it goes to the Dean to see if there was an error in the application of the established guidelines.

    "deepk's" assertions are baseless. Hardworking students will get trained along the lines of a US medical school curriculum with additional Kaplan Reviews and succesfully graduate.

    Passing at IAU is not the challenge. But to ACE (not just pass) the USMLE Step 1 you need comprehensive knowledge of basic and clincal problems.

    Saba University describes "The USMLE Step 1 Exam is widely considered one of the most difficult of all professional licensing evaluations, comprising about 350 multiple-choice questions in seven one-hour test blocks."

    usmle.org says "Step 1 assesses whether you understand and can apply important concepts of the sciences basic to the practice of medicine, with special emphasis on principles and mechanisms underlying health, disease, and modes of therapy. Step 1 ensures mastery of not only the sciences that provide a foundation for the safe and competent practice of medicine in the present, but also the scientific principles required for maintenance of competence through lifelong learning. Step 1 is constructed according to an integrated content outline that organizes basic science material along two dimensions: system and process."

    kaplantest.ie says "Some of the Step 1 items test your fund of knowledge directly; however, the majority require application of basic science principles to clinically-relevant situations. You will also be asked to identify microscopic and gross specimens, interpret graphic or tabular information, and solve simple clinical problems.In an effort to make the Step 1 exam more medically relevant, the USMLE items often assess basic medical science concepts in a clinical context. While some points are asked in a fairly traditional, straightforward manner, you will also be presented with many clinical vignettes. This style typically involves fairly long lead-in scenarios followed by relatively brief response "

    Dont even think about sleeping in class during the 16 month program on the island. There is a lot to master amongst other challenges of relocating to a new place and if you are lucky enough experience a hurricane or adverse weather condition. Come to the program only if you are extremeily sure that you will study with all your might. Good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. After Basic science ....what happens
    By medstulife in forum St. James Medical School
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-13-2011, 05:05 PM
  2. SMU basic science
    By jackets5 in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-01-2010, 07:50 AM
  3. Basic Science
    By Leighcrna in forum Saba University Clinical Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-21-2006, 09:04 PM
  4. Basic Science
    By iloveraykim in forum American University of the Caribbean (AUC)
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 07-23-2005, 09:48 PM
  5. Basic Science
    By Focus in forum St. James Medical School
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2004, 09:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •