Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1
    Cortney1111 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    First year Students

    Advertisements



    Hello everyone
    just got accepted and wondering anyone else is going to Hungary ?
    Be life saver and let me know cuz I have many questions.

    Thankssssss

  2. #2
    Idktriple6's Avatar
    Idktriple6 is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    63
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cortney1111 View Post
    Hello everyone
    just got accepted and wondering anyone else is going to Hungary ?
    Be life saver and let me know cuz I have many questions.

    Thankssssss
    I had to reply to this comment because I literally want to help you from possibly screwing up your future. Medical schools in Hungary are not recognised or accredited by the WFME (World Federation for Medical Education) and therefore as of 2023, you are no longer able to practice in the United States. By all means, go to medical school in Hungary if you do not plan on getting a residency or practising in the United States. But I am just letting you know this because I think medical schools in Hungary are 6 year programs and if you enrol this year. Typically your graduation year would be in 2024, making you not eligible for a medical license in the United States.

  3. #3
    Cortney1111 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    13
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Thank you so much for the info . But Hungary is the only option for me cuz I didn’t get accepted in Canada and the US dental schools. I got accepted in Irish dental schools but unfortunately I can’t pay the tuition so Hungary is my only option and I have 4 friends who graduated from Hungarian Dental schools and are practicing in US now

  4. #4
    Idktriple6's Avatar
    Idktriple6 is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    63
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    In regards to Hungarian dental schools and dental school accreditation standards. I am not familiar with that at all so I can't speak on behalf of dental schools, sorry.

  5. #5
    Rapamycin is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    11
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Idktriple6 View Post
    I had to reply to this comment because I literally want to help you from possibly screwing up your future. Medical schools in Hungary are not recognised or accredited by the WFME (World Federation for Medical Education) and therefore as of 2023, you are no longer able to practice in the United States. By all means, go to medical school in Hungary if you do not plan on getting a residency or practising in the United States. But I am just letting you know this because I think medical schools in Hungary are 6 year programs and if you enrol this year. Typically your graduation year would be in 2024, making you not eligible for a medical license in the United States.
    Can you show me the reference of your statement? Where can you get a list for WFME accreditation? Or do they even post a list?

  6. #6
    Idktriple6's Avatar
    Idktriple6 is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    63
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapamycin View Post
    Can you show me the reference of your statement? Where can you get a list for WFME accreditation? Or do they even post a list?
    Yeah dude, here you go.

    http://wfme.org/accreditation/recognition-programme/

    After clicking the link, on the right hand side of the page you will see the list of accrediting agencies that are recognised by the WFME.

  7. #7
    Rapamycin is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    11
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Idktriple6 View Post
    Yeah dude, here you go.

    wfme.org/accreditation/recognition-programme/

    After clicking the link, on the right hand side of the page you will see the list of accrediting agencies that are recognised by the WFME.
    Very interesting, thank you so much, although I think it is not completely desperate.
    1. WFME accreditation is an ongoing process, and it seems taking about 12-18 months to complete (or even longer). From 2018 to 2023, it is an interval about 5 years. Likely more agencies will be accredited at the time. So far it is astonishing that very few European medical council has been accredited already. I suppose this will change several years later. Also you can see a lot of ongoing application submitted by councils, see: wfme.org/accreditation/accrediting-agencies-status/

    2. In the meantime, International Medical Students are still eligible to apply to ECFMG certification and USMLE, if their school appears on the World Directory as noted. I suppose it is just unlikely that they could get a certification by the end of day if associated medical council hasn't been approved by the WFME.

    Therefore, I think it is still optimistic for those who are going to enroll in the European schools.
    However, you did provide excellent information. Very grateful.

  8. #8
    Idktriple6's Avatar
    Idktriple6 is offline Junior Member 511 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    63
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapamycin View Post
    Very interesting, thank you so much, although I think it is not completely desperate.
    1. WFME accreditation is an ongoing process, and it seems taking about 12-18 months to complete (or even longer). From 2018 to 2023, it is an interval about 5 years. Likely more agencies will be accredited at the time. So far it is astonishing that very few European medical council has been accredited already. I suppose this will change several years later. Also you can see a lot of ongoing application submitted by councils, see: wfme.org/accreditation/accrediting-agencies-status/

    2. In the meantime, International Medical Students are still eligible to apply to ECFMG certification and USMLE, if their school appears on the World Directory as noted. I suppose it is just unlikely that they could get a certification by the end of day if associated medical council hasn't been approved by the WFME.

    Therefore, I think it is still optimistic for those who are going to enroll in the European schools.
    However, you did provide excellent information. Very grateful.

    No problem, also I would like to add that ECFMG made the announcement of a new accreditation system back in 2010, 8 years ago. Here is the link below.
    https://www.ecfmg.org/forms/rationale.pdf

    Which means every international medical school was aware of the new accreditation system being put in place by ECFMG since than and now it has been going on for 8 years and counting. I agree with you it is optimistic to go to a European medical school but those who do are at another disadvantage since we're all IMGs in the first place so you're taking on a huge risk if the medical school you are going to doesn't become accredited by the WFME by 2023. That is only 4 and a half years left until 2023 and considering they made the announcement almost a decade ago I really don't think too many European schools will be signing up for appropriate accreditation since they were already aware back in 2010 and also because there is only one agency in the process and that is the NVAO of the Netherlands.
    Last edited by Idktriple6; 08-08-2018 at 11:08 PM.

  9. #9
    nanami is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I am a student at Semmelweis this post scared the hell out of me. Please before making such drastic conclusion check all the information available... This what I could find on Semmelweis Website : "The faculties of the University were reaccredited by the Hungarian Accreditation Board in 2014. The decision of the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation of the USA declares: The standards and processes used by the Hungarian Accreditation Council to accredit medical schools in Hungary are comparable to those used to accredit medical schools in the United States."

    This include the faculty of medicine as well as dentistry and also probably pharmacy.

    Doesn't this means that Semmelweis university is accredited?

  10. #10
    Rapamycin is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    11
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nanami View Post
    I am a student at Semmelweis this post scared the hell out of me. Please before making such drastic conclusion check all the information available... This what I could find on Semmelweis Website : "The faculties of the University were reaccredited by the Hungarian Accreditation Board in 2014. The decision of the National Committee on Foreign Medical Education and Accreditation of the USA declares: The standards and processes used by the Hungarian Accreditation Council to accredit medical schools in Hungary are comparable to those used to accredit medical schools in the United States."

    This include the faculty of medicine as well as dentistry and also probably pharmacy.

    Doesn't this means that Semmelweis university is accredited?
    I suggest people discuss with references otherwise it is just too hard to follow. So additionally I will post the link I found here (sites .ed .gov/ncfmea/comparability-decisions/)
    However, I think NCFMEA's accreditation is not directly solving the problem.

    1. I suppose no one is actively questioning the educational quality of Hungarian or European Medical Schools. You still learn knowledge and most schools are Carlifornia-Approved.
    ((www .credentialwatch .org/non/california_medical.shtml))
    European Schools are also listed on World Dictionary of Medical Schools and so on. However, the problem here is that ECFMG asks a new accreditation called WFME.

    2. I suppose, NCFME led by US department of Education and ECFMG may be two different institutions (You have to ask to make sure). Rules are just different for these two institutions. WFME accreditation is also different from NCFME accreditation (at least by their names)
    Even if, NCFME accreditation, Carlifornia accreditation and whatever other accreditation have roughly the same criteria, no WFME accreditation still means no WFME accreditation.
    To be safe, Hungarian Accreditation Committee (HAC) and other European accrediting agencies is responsible to have a WFME accreditation. Or, if you would like to replace WFME accreditation with the one by NCFME, you have to ask ECFMG to make sure. Nevertheless, I feel doubtful about such a possibility of replacement.

    3. In conclusion, I don't worry whether these agencies are able to be accredited or not. I worry whether these agencies are willing to be accredited, and whether accreditation will be complete on time before 2023. In your case studying in Semmelweis, you have to contact schools and HAC to ask their intention and speed them up for WFME accreditation.
    Last edited by Rapamycin; 08-15-2018 at 09:31 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Slovak medical university still accept first year students for this year
    By minaretltd.com in forum Czech Republic & Slovakia Medical Schools
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 11-18-2012, 04:31 PM
  2. 4-year MD students starting in 2011 (5/6-year MD welcome as well)
    By misscanadian in forum Medical University of Lodz
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 06:35 AM
  3. Gap year Students?
    By amydecia in forum Asian Medical Schools
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-22-2011, 07:04 AM
  4. 4th year students??
    By J1069916 in forum St. James Medical School
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-14-2008, 08:55 PM
  5. students who have done 3rd year in UK but 4th year in US
    By whwsf in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-14-2008, 04:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •