Sponsored Links
Medical University of Gdansk - Ranking, Tuition, Campus & Environment | ValueMD

General Information

A Brief History of Poland by The World Factbook

Flag of Poland

Poland is an ancient nation that was conceived near the middle of the 10th century. Its golden age occurred in the 16th century. During the following century, the strengthening of the gentry and internal disorders weakened the nation. In a series of agreements between 1772 and 1795, Russia, Prussia, and Austria partitioned Poland amongst themselves. Poland regained its independence in 1918 only to be overrun by Germany and the Soviet Union in World War II. It became a Soviet satellite state following the war, but its government was comparatively tolerant and progressive. Labor turmoil in 1980 led to the formation of the independent trade union "Solidarity" that over time became a political force and by 1990 had swept parliamentary elections and the presidency. A "shock therapy" program during the early 1990s enabled the country to transform its economy into one of the most robust in Central Europe, but Poland still faces the lingering challenges of high unemployment, underdeveloped and dilapidated infrastructure, and a poor rural underclass. Solidarity suffered a major defeat in the 2001 parliamentary elections when it failed to elect a single deputy to the lower house of Parliament, and the new leaders of the Solidarity Trade Union subsequently pledged to reduce the Trade Union's political role. Poland joined NATO in 1999 and the European Union in 2004. With its transformation to a democratic, market-oriented country largely completed, Poland is an increasingly active member of Euro-Atlantic organizations. Read More.

Map of Poland

About University

The Medical University of Gda?sk is the largest medical academic institution in the Northern Poland. The Medical University of Gda?sk educates more than 5 000 undergraduate and postgraduate students in four Faculties: Faculty of Health Sciences, Faculty of Medicine, Faculty of Pharmacy, and the Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology of the University of Gda?sk and the Medical University of Gda?sk. Teaching activities are carried out by near by one thousand of academic teachers with over one hundred of them holding the professor’s position. Students may choose to live in the comfortable campus, placed close to the main university buildings and the modern library.

Our academy aside from educational activity highly focuses on scientific research, which is proved by the top positions in the ranking of the Polish Ministry of Science and Higher Education and many awards gained by its researchers, among many others a prestigious Award of the Foundation for Polish Science received by the Professor Roman Kaliszan in 2003 and Professor Janusz Limon in 2004.

The University constantly modernizes its clinical and teaching facilities. In year 2007 the process of modernization of the main teaching hospital, Academic Clinical Centre has been launched. The investment is co-financed by the state budget with the subsidy of 480 mln Polish zlotys (ca 140 mln EUR).

The University participates in the international cooperation with more than 50 universities and scientific centers, i.e. carries the wide exchange of students and teachers in the framework of the Lifelong Learning Programme and is an active member of many European organizations and institutions. Since their foundation our school takes also an active part in the working of two regional organizations – ScanBalt and Baltic Sea Region University Network.

History

The Akademia Lekarska in Gda?sk was founded on October 8th, 1945. Its history is related to the centuries-old tradition of medical practice of surgeons associated in the Surgeons Guild (active since 1454), as well as teaching and medical and scientific research, particularly in Gda?skie Gimnazjum Akademickie (Atheneum Gedanese) established in 1558. This institution set up the Department of Science and Medicine (physices et medicinae), which was managed and supervised by eminent scholars. Among the most famous lecturers were: Joachim Oelhafius, a native of Gda?sk, who in 1613 was the first to perform a public autopsy of a newborn child in Northern Europe, and doctor Jan Adam Kulmus, the author of the anatomical atlas “Tabulae anatomicae”, published in 1932. The work was released in numerous editions and was translated into many languages. The Gimnazjum Akademickie represented a high standard of achievement and its graduates were accepted in the third year of medical studies at universities in Western Europe. After the closing of the Gimnazjum Akademickie at the beginning of the 19th century, it was not until the first years of the 20th century that another academic school was established.

The traditions of pharmaceutical sciences in Gda?sk date back to the times of Johannes Placotomus, the author of superb books and founder of the first pharmacy in Gda?sk in 1527, and Johannes Schmiedt, alias Fabritius, the co-author of the oldest Polish pharmacopoeia, published in 1665.

In 1935 the Gda?sk Senate, already represented mostly by German nationalists (members of NSDAP) went about establishing Akademia Medycyny Praktycznej (Die Staatliche Akademie für Praktische Medizin zu Danzig) on the basis of the municipal hospital built between 1907 and 1911. Teaching medicine in the newly opened college involved clinical courses. In 1940, following the introduction of pre-clinical courses, the college’s name was changed to Medizinische Akademie in Danzig, making it full 5-year medical studies.

After the end of World War II, Akademia Lekarska was founded in Gda?sk. In 1950 its name was changed to Akademia Medyczna (The Medical University of Gdansk). Among the professors of the newly established college, there were many eminent Polish scholars from the University of Stefan Batory in Vilnius, who had come to Gda?sk after Vilnius was incorporated into the Soviet Union, and a handful of scholars from other pre-war Polish academic centers. Initially, Akademia Lekarska conducted studies in two majors: medical and pharmaceutical. In May 1947 the Faculty of Stomatology was created and later on in January 1950 the name was changed to the Subfaculty of Dentistry at the Faculty of Medicine. In 1975 Medical University of Gdansk (MUG) opened a branch in Bydgoszcz, which in 1984 became an independent college. In 1993, as a joint unit of Medical University of Gdansk and Gda?sk University, the Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology was founded. In the academic year 2005/2006 Medical University started the Faculty of Health Sciences.

Ever since its creation, Medical University of Gda?sk has paid special attention to the development of its teaching and clinical framework. Many new research institutes and clinics have been established, the equipment has been modernized, new facilities have been created and all the buildings including the campus have been equipped with computers and a computer network. Currently, MUG offers education in nearly all medical professions and classes can also be conducted in English.

Faculty of Medicine
with Subfaculty of Dentistry

The Faculty of Medicine was established in 1945. Its goals are inextricably linked with the centuries-old tradition of medical and natural science practices in Gda?sk, particularly in Gimnazjum Gda?skie (Gymnasium Gedanense) founded in 1558, and later given a more academic name (Gymnasium Academicum sive Illustre, Atheneum Gedanense).

Eminent doctors ran the department of medicine and anatomy, created in Gimnazjum Gda?skie. The most recognized lecturer was Joachim Oelhafius, a native of Gda?sk, mostly renowned for being the first in Northern Europe to perform a public autopsy. Equally outstanding was the anatomist Jan Kulmus, whose large anatomical atlas “Tabulae anatomicae” was published in Gda?sk in 1932. The work was released in numerous editions and was translated into several languages.

The Faculty of Medicine educates its students in three majors – medical (homogenous 6-year MSc studies) and medical stomatological (homogenous 5-year MSc studies), as well as dental techniques (3-year 1st degree BSc studies). The Faculty’s high level of education was confirmed by the Accreditation Committee for Medical Universities working at the Conference of Presidents of Medical Universities, and by The State Accreditation Committee, which granted the Faculty a 5-year-long accreditation for both MSc majors. Moreover, classes in the medical major are also conducted in English (since 2002).

The Faculty of Medicine together with the Subfaculty of Dentistry educates 2363 students. Among them there are 434 foreign students who attend classes in English at the medical English-speaking Department. Those students come from European Union Member States, the United States of America, Canada, India and Nigeria.

Graduates can continue their education at the Faculty of Medicine within the framework of a 4-year-long PhD study programme in which a few dozen doctors participate. Throughout its 62years of activity, the Faculty has educated 13.474 doctors, 4.520 dentists and 91 Bachelors of Science.

The Faculty comprises 69 Departments, Institutes and Clinics and the elementary teaching tasks are performed by 662 university teachers, including 98 independent research workers, 40 of whom have a professor’s degree. As a result of dynamic research activities, the Faculty can pride itself on as many as 1831 PhD programmes, 290 post doctorate programmes and more than 160 people who were awarded the degree of professor. Teaching is supported by resources and equipment situated in nearby elementary educational facilities, as well as clinical and pre-clinical facilities.

Noteworthy among teaching facilities is the structure which houses the Theory Departments, with a cubature of 62.300 m3, put to use in 1975, with three amphitheatre-style lecture halls, housing 12 departments and institutes, with modern research equipment and an educational facility Atheneum Gedanese Novum on Aleja Zwyci?stwa, along with fully-equipped seminar rooms and an elegant lecture hall Auditorium Primum.

Practical clinical classes take place in the Academic Clinical Centre (Akademickie Centrum Kliniczne) and in some of the health-care institutions in Gda?sk. The Academic Clinical Centre is the largest hospital in Northern Poland, which administers a few dozen buildings situated in the following streets: D?binki, Smoluchowskiego and Kliniczna. Most of these buildings were erected between 1908 and 1927. The current educational activities and health-care services are performed in 58 clinics and institutes with more than 1200 hospital beds.

The hospital facilities are regularly modernized and clinics and institutes are supplied with modern diagnostic and therapeutic equipment. In 2007 construction work started on a modern clinical hospital – the Centre for Invasive Medicine, which will contain mostly surgical units, modern lecture halls and a recreational complex.

Aside from organizing practical classes aiming at preparing students for their profession, and postgraduate studies, the clinics perform highly specialized diagnostic and therapeutic services, not only for the people from the Tri-city and neighbouring towns, but also for the whole of Northern and Central Poland. Research in both elementary and clinical analysis is undergoing constant development. In the ranking of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education for 61 medical faculties and institutes, the Faculty of Medicine MUG was awarded first place in the category of medical research units.

Since 1998 the Faculty of Medicine has been participating in the SOCRATES/Erasmus Programme and currently, in –The Lifelong Learning Programme, both of which organize student exchanges with partner universities of the European Union and enable lecturers to give lectures abroad. We have also introduced the European Credit Transfer System (ECTS).

Science & Research

The Medical University of Gdansk attaches great importance to supporting the development of scientific activity. When the ranking system of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education (previously named: Research Committee) was established, the Medical University of Gda?sk introduced and continues to enhance the internal system of parametric assessment of particular research units. Today, three faculties of the MUG – Medicine, Pharmacy, and the Intercollegiate Faculty of Biotechnology pride themselves on the highest positions in the abovementioned ranking, similarly to the unique Interdepartmental Institute of Maritime and Tropical Medicine. The Faculty of Health Sciences, founded in the year 2006, is preparing for the parametric assessment of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education and it has also submitted an application to be granted the right to award PhD degrees.

The main funding sources for research are: statutory activity (118 research topics), commissioned projects, development projects, own projects, promoter projects, post doctorate projects (altogether 109 projects), own research (345 research topics), and research support activity (37 projects). Moreover, the academic teachers perform scientific research under contract with external entities, primarily with pharmaceutical enterprises (19 service and research projects). The University staff also carries out projects financed by the EU framework programmes and other community initiatives, as well as structural funds, including the Sector Operational Programme –Increased Enterprise Competition.

Performing advanced scientific research requires the most modern equipment. The following items have recently been purchased with the extended financial aid of the Ministry of Science and Higher Education:

  • FACS Aria cell sorter
  • Chip electrophoreser (type: Experion Electrophoresis System)
  • micromatrix analysis scanner
  • PCR Chromo4Four apparatus – Color Real Time PCR System
  • system of registering and analyzing animal behavior in an open area
  • system of animal fear-conditioning

A significant element of the MUG’s science infrastructure is the recently opened collegewise animal centre – the Tri-city’s Academic Animal Experimental Centre, available to other Pomeranian research units.

The high level of research work and the highest qualifications of our academic teaching staff are reflected in individual distinctions, among many – the Polish Nobel Prizes – the prize awarded by the Foundation for Polish Science to professors: Roman Kaliszan in 2003 and Janusz Limon in 2004. In the previous academic year the Prime Minister gave the award for scientific activity to professor Jacek Jassem and post doctorate teacher Micha? Markuszewski was the laureate of the prestigious academic scholarship of the Minister of Science and Higher Education. The scholarship was addressed to eminent young scientists in the category of research for the sake of scientific development.

Email Medical University of Gdansk now