Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By benevolo

Thread: Limit on electives in Canada for Canadian imgs

  1. #1
    tegsekhon is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Limit on electives in Canada for Canadian imgs

    Advertisements



    Hi!
    does anyone know about the limit on Canadian electives on Canadian img by assosciation of faculties of medicine,Canada????
    Is it 12 weeks in ONE YEAR or 12 weeks TOTAL PER CANADIAN IMGS IN ANY TIME PERIOD?????

    I mean is it possible for me to do 12 weeks electives this year and another 12 week electives next year????

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    neurothings is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    7
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    i'm curious too now.

  3. #3
    tegsekhon is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by neurothings View Post
    i'm curious too now.
    yup, Here are two links I found-
    memorial university-
    Applicants from non-LCME accredited medical schools may complete a maximum of twelve (12) weeks of electives in Canada during the final two years of study. Of these twelve weeks, Memorial University permits a maximum of eight (8) weeks per academic year which may be performed under the auspices of this medical school. If, for example, the applicant already completed six weeks of electives in Canada, Memorial University can only host an additional six (6) weeks of electives

    this is from practice newfoundland website-
    The total elective period of clerkship in Canada in any one year is 12 weeks in accordance with the Association of Canadian Medical Colleges.

    I am totally confused!!!!!

  4. #4
    benevolo is offline Member 520 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    221
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tegsekhon View Post
    yup, Here are two links I found-
    memorial university-
    Applicants from non-LCME accredited medical schools may complete a maximum of twelve (12) weeks of electives in Canada during the final two years of study. Of these twelve weeks, Memorial University permits a maximum of eight (8) weeks per academic year which may be performed under the auspices of this medical school. If, for example, the applicant already completed six weeks of electives in Canada, Memorial University can only host an additional six (6) weeks of electives

    this is from practice newfoundland website-
    The total elective period of clerkship in Canada in any one year is 12 weeks in accordance with the Association of Canadian Medical Colleges.

    I am totally confused!!!!!
    I have no idea what this association is or what powers they have, but lots of people including myself have done >12 weeks without issues. Med schools dont check with each other whether a student has rotated elsewhere, so while you might not be able to do >12 weeks at one school, you can do them across multiple schools. Do it at your own risk but i dont see how it would be a problem beyond getting denied a rotation. This association, to my knowledge, has absolutely no association with provincial medical colleges, who are the people that grant you a license to practice medicine. I dont know of any provincial colleges that have restrictions on how long an IMG can do rotations in canada, but do your own research to verify that.
    WindsorGirl91 likes this.

  5. #5
    tegsekhon is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benevolo View Post
    I have no idea what this association is or what powers they have, but lots of people including myself have done >12 weeks without issues. Med schools dont check with each other whether a student has rotated elsewhere, so while you might not be able to do >12 weeks at one school, you can do them across multiple schools. Do it at your own risk but i dont see how it would be a problem beyond getting denied a rotation. This association, to my knowledge, has absolutely no association with provincial medical colleges, who are the people that grant you a license to practice medicine. I dont know of any provincial colleges that have restrictions on how long an IMG can do rotations in Canada, but do your own research to verify that.
    So far, I guess only memorial university have mentioned this 12 week rule. But I'm worried,that when you mention your Canadian clinical experience at match,what if the program directors gave me trouble(but honestly I'll probably apply to U.S. for residency, I'm only thinking of doing these electives because I have to stay in Canada for other reasons, and I don't want to sit idle while I'm there)

    Can I ask where you did your electives???
    Which universities easily gives electives to imgs???
    And another thing I've always wondered, when you do electives at some university do they give you some sort of certificate for it?

    Thanks!

  6. #6
    benevolo is offline Member 520 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    221
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tegsekhon View Post
    So far, I guess only memorial university have mentioned this 12 week rule. But I'm worried,that when you mention your Canadian clinical experience at match,what if the program directors gave me trouble(but honestly I'll probably apply to U.S. for residency, I'm only thinking of doing these electives because I have to stay in Canada for other reasons, and I don't want to sit idle while I'm there)

    Can I ask where you did your electives???
    Which universities easily gives electives to imgs???
    And another thing I've always wondered, when you do electives at some university do they give you some sort of certificate for it?

    Thanks!
    I've never heard of a program director giving anyone trouble for doing more rotations in Canada. In fact it's usually the opposite, it's seen as a very positive/good thing when ranking applicants. I've done rotations at a bunch of schools in Ontario and I've also been to UBC and Dal. I think I got lucky with getting some of my rotations, because I got every one I applied for. Because of that, I can't tell you which ones are "easy" since they were all easy. I know not everyone had the same luck as me with getting rotations though. You don't get any certificate after doing an elective, you will just get the rotation and grade listed on your transcript.

  7. #7
    tegsekhon is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by benevolo View Post
    I've never heard of a program director giving anyone trouble for doing more rotations in Canada. In fact it's usually the opposite, it's seen as a very positive/good thing when ranking applicants. I've done rotations at a bunch of schools in Ontario and I've also been to UBC and Dal. I think I got lucky with getting some of my rotations, because I got every one I applied for. Because of that, I can't tell you which ones are "easy" since they were all easy. I know not everyone had the same luck as me with getting rotations though. You don't get any certificate after doing an elective, you will just get the rotation and grade listed on your transcript.
    Thanks a lot man!!!!
    Which transcripts are you talking about???? That given by your home institution?????
    And one more thing, how busy are the rotations????(coz I'll have to prepare for usmle step 1 in the same period)

Similar Threads

  1. 12 week limit to Canadian electives for IMGs???
    By shaas079 in forum Canadian IMG
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2012, 12:45 PM
  2. KERN - Electives limit??/
    By amit233 in forum AUC Med School Clinicals
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-15-2009, 08:40 PM
  3. Electives for IMGs
    By Charismadix in forum Canadian IMG
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-10-2008, 01:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •