Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    thekindofguy is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dumaguete
    Posts
    31
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Delay graduation or not?

    Advertisements



    Due to the set up of medical school here in the Philippines, I will not be able to do any rotations in Canada before I graduate. Should I look into delaying my graduation here by 1 year in order to do some rotations in Canada or should I just graduate and try to find some doctor to volunteer with? Moreover, are there any implications in delaying graduation?

    My ultimate goal is to match in Canada - even if it takes some time. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Mourning Cloak is offline Member 529 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    347
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thekindofguy View Post
    Due to the set up of medical school here in the Philippines, I will not be able to do any rotations in Canada before I graduate. Should I look into delaying my graduation here by 1 year in order to do some rotations in Canada or should I just graduate and try to find some doctor to volunteer with? Moreover, are there any implications in delaying graduation?

    My ultimate goal is to match in Canada - even if it takes some time. Any feedback on this would be greatly appreciated.
    Assuming that you are a Canadian citizen, it is very difficult for IMGs to match through CaRMS. Great letters of reference from Canadian PDs are very important, derived by shining during your Canadian rotations. Without that Canadian clinical experience during medical school and those LORs, it will be very unlikely you'd match.

    You can't do relevant clinical rotations in Canada outside of medical school - you could volunteer with whoever you like, but it won't "count" with CaRMS.

    You may want to look into matching in the US - it is still much easier for a Canadian citizen IMG to match in the US than in Canada. At least you'd have a residency position and the possibility of an eventual job. If you decide to delay graduation and do some Canadian rotations, then you really need to "wow" them - your overall odds of matching as an IMG are still low (~20%). Definitely consider applying to match in the US.

  3. #3
    thekindofguy is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dumaguete
    Posts
    31
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Mourning,

    Yes, I am a CSA and I am well aware of the dismal matching rates in Canada. It is a thought that I live with every day as I watch my loan balloon. I have researched the Canadian and US routes thoroughly and I am aware of the implications with both.

    With that said, I am solely interested in hearing thoughts on the best way to match back home (Canada) - preferably rural family medicine as I am from small town Canada. The thoughts that I have come up with are delaying my graduation by a year or possibly applying directly into an MPH program and hoping to make contacts that way.

  4. #4
    don1 is offline Moderator 547 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,371
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'm a CSA and matched into Canada for residency. I would recommend delaying your graduation if you are able to do electives in Canada. When you do your electives don't sit in the corner without saying much just waiting to go home. Let people know you're interested in matching there and go the extra mile in everything. Stay late and show up early. You will be compared to Canadian medical students; some are average and some know very impressive amounts of information. Strive to be on par or better than the strong Canadian medical students. It is very possible. I'm now a resident and have medical students, elective students and observers on my team sometimes. the observers are treated like they don't exist; most tend to be shy and don't say much. the elective students get more attention and are expected to be working their *tails off. around carms time program directors look for feedback from residents on who has been impressive. in other words, don't think you have to impress a certain person or staff when you are doing your elective. everyone can have a say, including nurses and admin staff. ....no pressure....

    don't let the canadian match rate scare you. If you are a weak student that doesn't shine on your elective, you likelyhood of success is much less than the 20% mourning clock mentioned. if you know your stuff, work hard and it shows, you will do very well.

    g'luck

    Quote Originally Posted by thekindofguy View Post
    Hi Mourning,

    Yes, I am a CSA and I am well aware of the dismal matching rates in Canada. It is a thought that I live with every day as I watch my loan balloon. I have researched the Canadian and US routes thoroughly and I am aware of the implications with both.

    With that said, I am solely interested in hearing thoughts on the best way to match back home (Canada) - preferably rural family medicine as I am from small town Canada. The thoughts that I have come up with are delaying my graduation by a year or possibly applying directly into an MPH program and hoping to make contacts that way.
    Last edited by don1; 02-19-2012 at 05:35 PM.

  5. #5
    thekindofguy is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dumaguete
    Posts
    31
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by don1 View Post
    I'm a CSA and matched into Canada for residency. I would recommend delaying your graduation if you are able to do electives in Canada. When you do your electives don't sit in the corner without saying much just waiting to go home. Let people know you're interested in matching there and go the extra mile in everything. Stay late and show up early. You will be compared to Canadian medical students; some are average and some know very impressive amounts of information. Strive to be on par or better than the strong Canadian medical students. It is very possible. I'm now a resident and have medical students, elective students and observers on my team sometimes. the observers are treated like they don't exist; most tend to be shy and don't say much. the elective students get more attention and are expected to be working their *tails off. around carms time program directors look for feedback from residents on who has been impressive. in other words, don't think you have to impress a certain person or staff when you are doing your elective. everyone can have a say, including nurses and admin staff. ....no pressure....

    don't let the canadian match rate scare you. If you are a weak student that doesn't shine on your elective, you likelyhood of success is much less than the 20% mourning clock mentioned. if you know your stuff, work hard and it shows, you will do very well.

    g'luck
    Hi Don1,

    Thanks for your reply. It was very informative and I appreciate the positive words. My gut has been telling me that delaying my graduation by a year is the way I should be thinking. I am thinking that 6 months of electives in Canada in family medicine is what I would aim for. My goal is to eventually do family medicine in rural Canada.

    If I go that way, is it better to do all 6 months in one province or should I look at splitting it up? Although, it would be more expensive to go this route I am wondering if this will increase my chances for matching.

    Are there any problems with CARMS or residency programs in relation to my not graduating within the normal 4 years?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    don1 is offline Moderator 547 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,371
    Downloads
    12
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think taking longer than 4 years will make a difference. they will however look to see that you haven't failed anything, and that is why you are delayed in graduating. The point of delaying gradution is to do electives, not observerships.

    Doing 6 months of electives or 1 month, may not make much difference. I know people who have done 1 or 2 electives and received plenty of Canadian interviews and matched into their top picks. Your goal is to get excellent Canadian reference letters and face time. Doing more electives gets you more face time. If you are applying into family medicine you need to have high MCCEE scores. your application will not even get to be reviewed by a human if you don't do well above average.

    Perhaps you can do electives in different provinces that accept a decent amount of IMG's during each carms match would be a good approach. ....meaning targeting programs you are interested in and that they have plenty of spots allocated for IMG's. (this information can be found on the carms web site). I'm sure you are aware of the return of service contract which means that province may become home after residency for a good sum of years.

    hope that helps.

    Quote Originally Posted by thekindofguy View Post
    Hi Don1,

    Thanks for your reply. It was very informative and I appreciate the positive words. My gut has been telling me that delaying my graduation by a year is the way I should be thinking. I am thinking that 6 months of electives in Canada in family medicine is what I would aim for. My goal is to eventually do family medicine in rural Canada.

    If I go that way, is it better to do all 6 months in one province or should I look at splitting it up? Although, it would be more expensive to go this route I am wondering if this will increase my chances for matching.

    Are there any problems with CARMS or residency programs in relation to my not graduating within the normal 4 years?

    Thanks
    Last edited by don1; 02-22-2012 at 11:54 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Score Delay on CK
    By jpstuart in forum AUC Med School Clinicals
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-17-2009, 04:38 PM
  2. Delay Step 1?
    By itiswritten in forum SGU Medical School Clinicals
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 12:52 AM
  3. any theories on the delay?
    By kob in forum USMLE Step 1 Exam Experiences
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-02-2008, 06:47 PM
  4. delay when trying to edit
    By stephew in forum The Suggestion Box & Technical Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-27-2004, 04:05 PM
  5. Why a delay in Residency???
    By medic2md in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:36 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •