Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13
  1. #1
    simply_me is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    22
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Any girl from Vancouver going to Xavier this year?

    Advertisements



    Hi...

    I might be going to Xavier University in Bonaire (or Aruba) in september 07. The only problem is housing there which I m really worried about !
    Is there any girl (or east indian girl) from Vancouver who is going to Xavier this year for 4.5 premed/MD program?
    Please do reply me asap.
    Thanks.

  2. #2
    silent shimmer is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey I plan on going to either Bonaire or Aruba this fall for the pre med program. I dont know which campus to go to. I plan on applying sometime this week. I am paki... and also looking for a place to stay.

  3. #3
    ind3r's Avatar
    ind3r is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    132
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Gl w/ that, its cutting it real close considering that you are wanting to enroll in the fall semester. I phoned xusom bonaire and they said that they accept around 20-25 each semester. If they tell you there are no spots left for sept... I'd wait about a week and den call back. I have been accepted to bonaire but I will most likely be going to drop out because I think my interview w/ SGU went very well. Again gl!

  4. #4
    silent shimmer is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    4
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ind3r,

    did you just get out of high school? or are you a college graduate? also, what state?

  5. #5
    ind3r's Avatar
    ind3r is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    132
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I got out of HS but I did so w/ an IB diploma. I went to a hs in BC, Canada. My parents wanted me to apply to Bonaire just incase if I didn't get into any where else... I just had an interview w/ an SGU grad as part of my admission process and it went pretty well. I like the way SGU asks the grads to conduct the interviews... not only does it show how successful one could be but also you can get great insight on how well SGU prepared him. He told me that he'd back my application up so I'm guessing i have a good chance of being accepted. Furthermore, since I had very good IB marks, SGU, if were to be accepted, will grant me two year credit for the Pre-med program so I"m going straight to pre-med year 3. Then, granted that I pass an aptitude test and maintain a 3.2 GPA, I can enter the MD program. (I won't be eligible for the BofS bt I really don't mind.) Considering that you have at least 1 year of undergrad under your belt and if you have a decent GPA, I'd suggest you try for SGU or even atleast inquire by phone and see how much credit you could receive for the content that you have already covered. It is undoubtedly much safer(just got look at the USMLE pass rates they are comparable to US/Canadian Medschools!) The interviewer actually told me how beneficial SGU is... he said that for his clinical rotations that the most of the people who were teaching him were actually SGU grads and so he ended up having great connections and his clincial years were one of the most enjoyable times in his life!
    Once again, do some research and consider other Caribbean schools (the big four) as atm, Bonaire seems quite risky. Just some advice based on the research I have done... but at the end, it's all up to you!
    Last edited by ind3r; 07-31-2007 at 07:15 PM.

  6. #6
    studentdoctobe is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    208
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ind3r View Post
    I got out of HS but I did so w/ an IB diploma. I went to a hs in BC, Canada. My parents wanted me to apply to Bonaire just incase if I didn't get into any where else... I just had an interview w/ an SGU grad as part of my admission process and it went pretty well. I like the way SGU asks the grads to conduct the interviews... not only does it show how successful one could be but also you can get great insight on how well SGU prepared him. He told me that he'd back my application up so I'm guessing i have a good chance of being accepted. Furthermore, since I had very good IB marks, SGU, if were to be accepted, will grant me two year credit for the Pre-med program so I"m going straight to pre-med year 3. Then, granted that I pass an aptitude test and maintain a 3.2 GPA, I can enter the MD program. (I won't be eligible for the BofS bt I really don't mind.) Considering that you have at least 1 year of undergrad under your belt and if you have a decent GPA, I'd suggest you try for SGU or even atleast inquire by phone and see how much credit you could receive for the content that you have already covered. It is undoubtedly much safer(just got look at the USMLE pass rates they are comparable to US/Canadian Medschools!) The interviewer actually told me how beneficial SGU is... he said that for his clinical rotations that the most of the people who were teaching him were actually SGU grads and so he ended up having great connections and his clincial years were one of the most enjoyable times in his life!
    Once again, do some research and consider other Caribbean schools (the big four) as atm, Bonaire seems quite risky. Just some advice based on the research I have done... but at the end, it's all up to you!


    Quote Originally Posted by ind3r View Post
    Gl w/ that, its cutting it real close considering that you are wanting to enroll in the fall semester. I phoned xusom bonaire and they said that they accept around 20-25 each semester. If they tell you there are no spots left for sept... I'd wait about a week and den call back. I have been accepted to bonaire but I will most likely be going to drop out because I think my interview w/ SGU went very well. Again gl!
    When did you decide it was "risky", BEFORE or AFTER you applied and got accepted, or was it after a better offer came along?
    Last edited by studentdoctobe; 08-01-2007 at 10:07 AM.

  7. #7
    ind3r's Avatar
    ind3r is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    132
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    After I did my research (this was after I got accepted, I had no prior knowledge of how Caribbean schools stand compared to US/Canadian medschools)... I told my parents I really didn't want to apply but they said i should... Futhermore, I am no way implying that its impossible to be successful @ Xavier or any other meschool for that matter. It all depends how hard you are wiling to work and how dedicated and effective teh teachers are. But you do have a greater sense of security knowing that you are going into a university that has a track record that can, to some degree, be comparable to US/Canadian med schools for success rates.
    Last edited by ind3r; 08-01-2007 at 10:56 PM.

  8. #8
    studentdoctobe is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    208
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ind3r View Post
    After I did my research (this was after I got accepted, I had no prior knowledge of how Caribbean schools stand compared to US/Canadian medschools)... I told my parents I really didn't want to apply but they said i should... Futhermore, I am no way implying that its impossible to be successful @ Xavier or any other meschool for that matter. It all depends how hard you are wiling to work and how dedicated and effective teh teachers are. But you do have a greater sense of security knowing that you are going into a university that has a track record that can, to some degree, be comparable to US/Canadian med schools for success rates.
    So you did your research AFTER you applied and got accepted......interesting strategy.

    Wondering why your parents encouraged you to apply to a school you had done no reasearch on....

    It's all very interesting.

  9. #9
    ind3r's Avatar
    ind3r is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    132
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    they had gone and attended a seminar which was held here about 2 months ago...

  10. #10
    ind3r's Avatar
    ind3r is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Posts
    132
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A rep from SGU phoned today... I've been accepted =D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Xavier 5 1/2 Year Premed Program Questions
    By chinnygamer in forum Xavier University School of Medicine, Aruba
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-22-2010, 02:23 PM
  2. Anyone from Vancouver going to SGU?
    By drskinner in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 12-11-2009, 05:47 PM
  3. Any girl from Vancouver going to Xavier this year?
    By simply_me in forum Xavier University School of Medicine
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 02:12 AM
  4. Vancouver
    By 2cr8tive in forum St. Matthews University School of Medicine
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-08-2006, 12:23 PM
  5. anyone from vancouver that wants to get together
    By mua_bound in forum Medical University of the Americas (MUA) Nevis
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-08-2004, 12:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •