Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    jhtran is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    81
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    UQ average acceptance stat?

    Advertisements



    I've just talked to UQ and their average acceptance stat is 3.5GPA and 30P-MCAT... which I think is a bit too high... What do you guys think?

  2. #2
    dadoc is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    214
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Yes it is too high. If you come from the US/Canada/UK then coming to Australia is pretty pointless if you can get those stats. No doubt you can get into a low-tier or even mid tier med school with that in your home country.

    The exception of course is that you want to practice in Aus.

    Im curious to know what USyd reqs are. UQ is easily one of the worst university programs, yet it has a ridiculous requirement.

  3. #3
    Vox
    Vox is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Even for the undergraduate medical program, the requirements are too high. I was amazed when I didnt get accepted to the UQ program because of my OP. I got an OP 7, however, this was because my schools curriculum was vastly harder than any other school and they thought that the QLD education system would rank our school higher due to the heavier curriculim.. My school appealed twice, and I personally appealed 4 times to have my scores changed. I was denied each time. I even appealed when I was declined from the medical program with no avail.

    My stats were:
    - OP 7 (Equivalent UAI of 88-90)
    - UMAT score in 93 percentile
    - QCS score: A
    - MCAT score: 33 (dont know why I took the MCAT as HS student, but most things in it we had covered in school)

    I was very disappointed. Especially with UQ, who told me that the OP was an important regulator and it would be "unfair" to the other applicants if they considered MCAT scores and school curicculum.

  4. #4
    dadoc is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    214
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Same sort of thing happened to me when I applied for UQ...

    Im guessing its not uncommon.

  5. #5
    futureboy is offline Member 521 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    143
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vox View Post
    Even for the undergraduate medical program, the requirements are too high. I was amazed when I didnt get accepted to the UQ program because of my OP. I got an OP 7, however, this was because my schools curriculum was vastly harder than any other school and they thought that the QLD education system would rank our school higher due to the heavier curriculim.. My school appealed twice, and I personally appealed 4 times to have my scores changed. I was denied each time. I even appealed when I was declined from the medical program with no avail.

    My stats were:
    - OP 7 (Equivalent UAI of 88-90)
    - UMAT score in 93 percentile
    - QCS score: A
    - MCAT score: 33 (dont know why I took the MCAT as HS student, but most things in it we had covered in school)

    I was very disappointed. Especially with UQ, who told me that the OP was an important regulator and it would be "unfair" to the other applicants if they considered MCAT scores and school curicculum.
    You got a 33 MCAT as a high school student? Wow.
    If you put your mind to it, you can accomplish anything!

  6. #6
    Vox
    Vox is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futureboy View Post
    You got a 33 MCAT as a high school student? Wow.
    Yes. My school covered about 60-80% of everything on the MCAT on its curriculum and more, which is basically why I got screwed in my OP, and I studied my *** off for a year preparing. I had to travel to Sydney to take the exam and only 2 other people were taking it.

    Regardless, the MCAT means nothing in Australia. I lost my place to music and art students...

  7. #7
    dzungsaurom is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    MCAT score for QA

    33 on MCAT for a HS student with a low GPA wow! It does not make sense at all.

  8. #8
    Vox
    Vox is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    14
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dzungsaurom View Post
    33 on MCAT for a HS student with a low GPA wow! It does not make sense at all.
    We dont have a GPA system. Its a completely screwed up system. In short, my chosen subjects, my curriculum and the amazing people at Queensland education who dont know intelligence from "taking the easy road" caused me to not get the grades I wanted. I basically got screwed over and lost my place to music and art students.

    I appealed several times and was rejected because "it wouldnt be fair to the other students who got in, even though they didnt deserve it".

    The MCAT score was nothing less than proof of my intelligence in a broken system. Which didnt get validated at all.

  9. #9
    kitch is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    10
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    question

    Do you have to take MCAT ?

  10. #10
    dzungsaurom is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I just received an offer from UQ/Oshner program. I have a 3.5 GPA from UCI and 29R on my MCAT.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Just a little stat
    By D30417995 in forum Australian Medical Schools
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 02-17-2008, 09:29 PM
  2. Average Time To Wait For Acceptance After Interview
    By gentlegiant3 in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 10:24 AM
  3. Average "Incubation Time" to receiving Acceptance/Rejection?
    By sid_g in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-28-2006, 01:30 PM
  4. stat
    By darrowmd in forum Ross University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-22-2006, 09:37 PM
  5. average mcat and acceptance % for osteopathic schools
    By azskeptic in forum Osteopathic Medicine D.O.
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-30-2005, 08:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •