Sponsored Links
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Hello Dr Nick! is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Admission - Educated Guesses Welcomed :)

    Advertisements



    Hi Everyone,

    I'm a german student (Premed) currently enrolled at an average american university. I plan on finishing my bachelors by the end of 09.

    My stats are:

    -3.9 GPA
    -Take MCAT in May so the results will hopefully be in by the end of june.
    -Short Internships in germany and the US
    -Worked in the healthcare field since I was 16.

    But here is the catch:
    If I graduate as planned it took me 2.5 years to for my bachelor's (Just turned 21) and I wonder if that will be taken into consideration since I've been told thats relatively fast. Due to that pretty tight schedule I took on, I have almost no Extracurriculars besides a 4 month period in which I helped a native american organization to maintain cultural sites on the weekends.
    Also, I have a strong international/intercultural background.

    This all then comes down to:

    -I don't know my Mcat scores when I apply since they will be released pretty much on the application deadlines.
    -How about my lack of Extracurriculars?

    So should I give it a shot and apply this summer for "spring" 2010?

    My school of choice would be ANU or U of Sydney but I'm flexible in that regard.

    Wollongong looks good as well, maybe Lyndal can help ?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    0jhh is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    49
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    An educated guess ...

    Hey there,
    Guten Tag, wie geht's? I am an international student currently doing medicine in Australia (4th yr), I entered as an undergraduate though into the U of Melbourne. I thought I might put my 2 cents in though...

    Basically from what I understand, international students do the MCATs or the GAMSATs to enter a graduate stream (4 - 4.5yrs). I would consider Go8 universities safe although many incl. UoNewcastle and other postgrad meds are quite good. USyd and ANU are excellent schools, I personally know the prof that was involved in establishing the USyd programme.

    Entry is quite tough (3-10% acceptance rate based on Adelaide and UNSW) mainly because you are competing with straight A applicants from Asia. MCAT scores usually requested by Go8 U's are at least 24M (see UoQ), you will require +30M for USyd and Melb. Your GPA is quite good although Syd, Melb and ANU are a b**** to get into for grad because there are so few places and international applications have skyrocketed.

    Most universities don't really look at extracurricular activities although a short placement in a clinical setting might be helpful. Having made the cut for your GPA (which you will) and your MCATs/GAMSATs they will offer a phone/mini/short structured interview (exc UoQ which scrapped them). The amount of people recieving interviews are about twice the number of places available.

    If successful, they will offer in rounds. First round comes about Jan, then about 2 rounds in Feb (mainly because people make their university preferences).

    Do try to get in a timeline as this was extremely helpful when I did my applications. Anyway, hope this helped somewhat. Good luck in your undertakings!

    HDCG

  3. #3
    dadoc is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    214
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Ojhh is correct. Your going to need a 30+ MCAT for Usyd or ANU. And extra-curiccular activities dont count for squat sorry..

    Try to get into USyd, it has arguably the best clinicals.

    Let me know how you go!

  4. #4
    ghumkumari is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 0jhh View Post
    Hey there,
    Guten Tag, wie geht's? I am an international student currently doing medicine in Australia (4th yr), I entered as an undergraduate though into the U of Melbourne. I thought I might put my 2 cents in though...

    Basically from what I understand, international students do the MCATs or the GAMSATs to enter a graduate stream (4 - 4.5yrs). I would consider Go8 universities safe although many incl. UoNewcastle and other postgrad meds are quite good. USyd and ANU are excellent schools, I personally know the prof that was involved in establishing the USyd programme.

    Entry is quite tough (3-10% acceptance rate based on Adelaide and UNSW) mainly because you are competing with straight A applicants from Asia. MCAT scores usually requested by Go8 U's are at least 24M (see UoQ), you will require +30M for USyd and Melb. Your GPA is quite good although Syd, Melb and ANU are a b**** to get into for grad because there are so few places and international applications have skyrocketed.

    Most universities don't really look at extracurricular activities although a short placement in a clinical setting might be helpful. Having made the cut for your GPA (which you will) and your MCATs/GAMSATs they will offer a phone/mini/short structured interview (exc UoQ which scrapped them). The amount of people recieving interviews are about twice the number of places available.

    If successful, they will offer in rounds. First round comes about Jan, then about 2 rounds in Feb (mainly because people make their university preferences).

    Do try to get in a timeline as this was extremely helpful when I did my applications. Anyway, hope this helped somewhat. Good luck in your undertakings!

    HDCG
    hi,

    I am also an international student. I would like to know about the details of getting into an australian medical school. I will be finishing my Bachelor's by dec'09 in biomedical sciences. I took the MCAT but I guess I have to retake it.
    My stats are
    4.0/4.0
    10/11/7 M in MCAT
    can you please help?

    Thanks

  5. #5
    Belomy is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    15
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have you considered going to medical school in the US? You seem to have done very well as a pre-med. My advice would be to take two years off, take the MCAT in April 2010, and apply for admission in 2011. At the same time you need to get health care experience, preferably at US clinics or hospitals.

  6. #6
    dadoc is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    214
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Belomy View Post
    Have you considered going to medical school in the US? You seem to have done very well as a pre-med. My advice would be to take two years off, take the MCAT in April 2010, and apply for admission in 2011. At the same time you need to get health care experience, preferably at US clinics or hospitals.
    US med school matriculate about 8% of all International students, so the competition is really really intense. I know for a fact that they would take the masters/PhD's over a Bachelors, and for the Bachelors degree's they take the highest scores.

    3.9 GPA is a very competitive score, but you got to ace the MCAT. The competition is very intense for International applicants, even at low tier universities, but it should be your first preferance.

  7. #7
    dzungsaurom is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Please don't post these irelevant messages.

  8. #8
    TriageModerator's Avatar
    TriageModerator is offline Moderator 7161 points
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Far away from Home
    Posts
    1,705
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ghumkumari View Post
    hi,

    I am also an international student. I would like to know about the details of getting into an australian medical school. I will be finishing my Bachelor's by dec'09 in biomedical sciences. I took the MCAT but I guess I have to retake it.
    My stats are
    4.0/4.0
    10/11/7 M in MCAT
    can you please help?

    Thanks

    Why don't you retake the MCAT and atleast try applying to US MD or DO schools? Who knows, you may be part of the 8% accepted.

    " You must be the change you wish to see in the world."
    - Mahatma Gandhi
    Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum Moderator

  9. #9
    egy cardiac surgeon is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    egypt
    Posts
    21
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    hello dr nck

    i t s me the new member
    just to say hi
    an Egyption Cardiothoracic Resident
    wanna make frnds
    plz tell me how i can join Australia
    Mahmoud Al Shirbini

Similar Threads

  1. Foreign educated doctors are better than the US educated doctors
    By Janetdole in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-18-2010, 05:14 AM
  2. Help a Canadian out! Advice for going International most welcomed! :)
    By polarb in forum Main Foreign Medical Schools Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-28-2009, 07:36 PM
  3. Ross vs Saba, opinions welcomed!
    By infosuperhighway in forum Saba University School of Medicine
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-07-2006, 08:31 PM
  4. antiguan students welcomed to aua
    By azskeptic in forum American University of Antigua (AUA)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-01-2006, 10:10 PM
  5. In modernizing Qatar, U.S. universities are being welcomed
    By azskeptic in forum The Relaxing Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-17-2005, 11:56 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •