Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    desipride24o7 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    6
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Question about premed

    Advertisements



    does AUA consider ap's in hs. im currently a junior and next year i will be taking AP bio, AP Chem, AP language and composition, AP Stats, and pre-cal, i plan on taking the rest of the classes at a local college here..but not get my bachlors. Will i still have a good chance of getting in med1 at AUA? or should i just apply for the pre-med there w/o doing any college work here?
    Last edited by desipride24o7; 11-12-2008 at 03:44 PM.

  2. #2
    Dhavalp is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Calgary and St Louis
    Posts
    168
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by desipride24o7 View Post
    does AUA consider ap's in hs. im currently a junior and next year i will be taking AP bio, AP Chem, AP language and composition, AP Stats, and pre-cal, i plan on taking the rest of the classes at a local college here..but not get my bachlors. Will i still have a good chance of getting in med1 at AUA? or should i just apply for the pre-med there w/o doing any college work here?
    When I talked to them several months ago they considered APs in highschool.. I am pretty sure they still do.

    People here are gona tell you to get your bachelors first.

    I thought about taking classes at the local college too saving some money but in my opinion its a good idea to get used to the island and also to AUA style teaching while in pre-med.. so im coming down there for pre-med.

    I'm not sure how doing your classes at a local college without getting a bachelors would effect your chances but i think it wouldn't effect your chances greatly. There have been people who have gotten in without bachelors degrees aswell.

    Good luck

  3. #3
    CD243 is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    1
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have been in Antigua since Pre med 1. Honestly, pre med (especially the biology department) is very different in Antigua, with a central emphasis on medicine (for obvious reasons) as opposed to the zoology and botany portions of biology that you have to do at universities in the states. If you feel that you are mature enough to live alone on the island and steer clear of some of the distractions that come with it, I would take pre med start to finish. It undoubtedly gives you an advantage if you plan on attending medical school here, but be prepared for hard work. Otherwise, you could go the conventional/preferrable route bust your tail and shoot for a US school. Good Luck

  4. #4
    Tipton's Avatar
    Tipton is offline Ultimate Member 6138 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The latest guidance from Dr. M, Dean of Premed, is AP's will only count toward prerequisites if on an undergraduate transcript along with a Bachelor's degrees.

  5. #5
    zkhan's Avatar
    zkhan is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    44
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you score above a 4 on you AP exams, you will get pre-med credit for them. you're better of applying to the pre med program and seeing what they give you credit for. straight out of highschool you will not get directly into basic but with ap credits you could save yourself a semester or two of pre med and start as pre-med 3!

  6. #6
    franklibby is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Antigua for pre med

    Quote Originally Posted by CD243 View Post
    I have been in Antigua since Pre med 1. Honestly, pre med (especially the biology department) is very different in Antigua, with a central emphasis on medicine (for obvious reasons) as opposed to the zoology and botany portions of biology that you have to do at universities in the states. If you feel that you are mature enough to live alone on the island and steer clear of some of the distractions that come with it, I would take pre med start to finish. It undoubtedly gives you an advantage if you plan on attending medical school here, but be prepared for hard work. Otherwise, you could go the conventional/preferrable route bust your tail and shoot for a US school. Good Luck
    hi Pre med is accredited in antigua. I apply for 2009 I need some info about pre med program. If possible can u replly asap.

  7. #7
    Cyberia is offline Senior Member 515 points
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    693
    Downloads
    11
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franklibby View Post
    hi Pre med is accredited in antigua. I apply for 2009 I need some info about pre med program. If possible can u replly asap.
    What questions do you have?

  8. #8
    franklibby is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    pre med

    my question is...is pre med accredited in antigua accredited for pre med in the united states?

    can i take premed in antigua and then go to med school in the united states?

  9. #9
    Tipton's Avatar
    Tipton is offline Ultimate Member 6138 points
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    5,197
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Images
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by franklibby View Post
    my question is...is pre med accredited in antigua accredited for pre med in the united states?

    can i take premed in antigua and then go to med school in the united states?
    If you're aiming for admission to a US med school you have 1 option: attend a US undergraduate university with a proven track record of sending grads to med school.

  10. #10
    franklibby is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    3
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    premed

    if i go to school for premed and med in the Caribbean what are my chances of coming back to the United States and practicing here?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SGU- Premed Imp. Question!
    By reyaz01 in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-20-2010, 04:04 PM
  2. Premed Question
    By mona_zahiri in forum All Saints University School of Medicine
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-08-2008, 01:00 AM
  3. Premed question
    By TLE041 in forum Premed Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2007, 03:53 PM
  4. **/MD Premed Question
    By ZnS3104ever in forum St. Georges University School of Medicine
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2005, 09:36 PM
  5. PreMed Question
    By emtp2MD in forum American University of Integrative Sciences (AUIS)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 08:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •