Sponsored Links
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12
  1. #1
    unique_always is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    southern regional hospital (atlanta) & ob/gyn

    Advertisements



    Has anyone done OB/GYN Core at Southern Regional Hospital in Atlanta? What did you think of the rotation? And are you having the same problem that South Fulton hospital students are having about getting your grades? Or Southern Regional is ok to do ob/gyn at this point since it is through a different contractor? Any information would be helpful.

  2. #2
    Dark Helmet's Avatar
    Dark Helmet is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by unique_always View Post
    Has anyone done OB/GYN Core at Southern Regional Hospital in Atlanta? What did you think of the rotation? And are you having the same problem that South Fulton hospital students are having about getting your grades? Or Southern Regional is ok to do ob/gyn at this point since it is through a different contractor? Any information would be helpful.
    Coming from first hand experience with regards to the Atlanta clinical program, rotations there are like a box of chocolates- you never know what you're gonna get. You will be placed with a preceptor who has a private practice in the area, and go back and forth between the hospital and private practice, but it will not be exclusively at the hospital. Now, how does the whole "box of chocolates" thing come into place??? Your preceptor could be taking in students just for the money and not teach or let you do anything, or you could get a good preceptor who actually cares about teaching and will let you see patients and do things. What kind of experience will you have in Atlanta?? That question can only be answered once you move down there and start the rotation. Kinda sucks, huh?

    I believe all the kinks are worked out and you getting credit for Southern Regional will be OK, so I wouldn't worry if I were you. As for all us poor souls who were sent to South Fulton, yes, we are currently standing by and waiting to see what happens in terms of us getting credit (almost 7 months and counting now!!). Every phone call and email either falls on deaf ears, or you'll get transfered to multiple people who know absolutely nothing about the situation (or they are just lying in saying they don't), or emails are simply not even replied to. It's like Medstars and AUA are both pointing the finger at one another in terms of who was at fault, and they don't want to speak about it until it is settled (most likely in 15 years). But hey, I guess what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?? At this point, I'm just laughing it off so I can sleep at night.
    Last edited by Dark Helmet; 10-04-2009 at 01:27 PM.
    "Courage is all about doing what we're afraid to do- there can be no courage without fear"

  3. #3
    unique_always is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    5
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks so much for the info.

  4. #4
    SmoothOperator is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    what do you mean by "having problems getting grades?". I thought the only problem that existed with Southern regional was whether or not it is green book, which i heard it is.

  5. #5
    Dark Helmet's Avatar
    Dark Helmet is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
    what do you mean by "having problems getting grades?". I thought the only problem that existed with Southern regional was whether or not it is green book, which i heard it is.
    There are 2 different hospitals in Atlanta. South Fulton Medical Center was the first hospital that AUA students "rotated" at through Medstars. Word is that Medstars never even had a contract with them at all, and now we are suffering the consequences. Southern Regional is the other and only hospital that medstars can rotate students through now. It wasn't greenbook at first but it is now through Morehouse.
    "Courage is all about doing what we're afraid to do- there can be no courage without fear"

  6. #6
    cosine is offline Member 510 points
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    159
    Downloads
    3
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Helmet View Post
    There are 2 different hospitals in Atlanta. South Fulton Medical Center was the first hospital that AUA students "rotated" at through Medstars. Word is that Medstars never even had a contract with them at all, and now we are suffering the consequences. Southern Regional is the other and only hospital that medstars can rotate students through now. It wasn't greenbook at first but it is now through Morehouse.
    i'm not sure what medstar is but the OB in southern regional is through benham. I'm not sure if Benham IS medstar but i think they are different. Benham seems to be on top of there stuff.

    but.......WHO KNOWS!!

  7. #7
    Dark Helmet's Avatar
    Dark Helmet is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cosine View Post
    i'm not sure what medstar is but the OB in southern regional is through benham. I'm not sure if Benham IS medstar but i think they are different. Benham seems to be on top of there stuff.

    but.......WHO KNOWS!!
    The only 3rd party companies I know of in Atlanta are Medstars and GMC, and i know for fact that Southern Regional was the other hospital that Medstars had. I have never heard of Benham before, and it didn't bring up anything on a google search right now. I don't think either company changed their name, but you never know. If they do exist, I doubt they are really on top of their stuff though. These companies just want their piece of the pie like everyone else, and as long as they get that, I doubt they care. It's only our education, right?
    "Courage is all about doing what we're afraid to do- there can be no courage without fear"

  8. #8
    SmoothOperator is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    19
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    what the heck is medstar? A 3rd party company that sucks money out of vulnerable foreign medical students and places them in clinical rotations for a fraction of the fee they charge?

    As a prospective student for Ob/Gyn at Southern Regional, what kind of contracting issues should I be worried about?

  9. #9
    DontBelievetheHype is offline Newbie 510 points
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    12
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If you do OB in Atlanta, do not expect to touch anyone. If your cool with that, Atlanta will be awesome.

  10. #10
    Dark Helmet's Avatar
    Dark Helmet is offline Junior Member 510 points
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    26
    Downloads
    0
    Uploads
    0
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SmoothOperator View Post
    what the heck is medstar? A 3rd party company that sucks money out of vulnerable foreign medical students and places them in clinical rotations for a fraction of the fee they charge?

    As a prospective student for Ob/Gyn at Southern Regional, what kind of contracting issues should I be worried about?
    Medstars and GMC are companies started by local physicians that coordinate rotations and electives for international medical students at hospitals in the Atlanta area. Yes, they have a considerable fee that they charge schools just to initiate use of their services, as well as a monthly fee thereafter. If I remember correctly from the Medstars website, the initiation fee is $25,000 and then $1000 every following month.
    In my opinion, the only upside to using these companies is that you can cram a lot of students into rotation spots because the spots are not really inside the hospital, and your only limited by how many preceptors in the area you can hire to take students. The major downside is that the quality of education is significantly reduced by having the students spend majority of their time in a private practice setting, instead of a major teaching hospital. It makes great sense in terms of the profits these companies are generating, but it's all at the expense of our education. As I said before, everyone just wants their piece of the pie.
    "Courage is all about doing what we're afraid to do- there can be no courage without fear"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Memorial Regional Hospital, Hollywood, FL
    By ducman in forum Saba University Clinical Forum
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 03-31-2014, 03:47 PM
  2. Southern Regional Next week...
    By HeroLike in forum AUA Medical School Clinical Forum
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-23-2010, 10:14 AM
  3. OB/Gyn at SOUTHERN REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER
    By spideroll in forum AUA Medical School Clinical Forum
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-09-2010, 09:19 PM
  4. OB/Gyn at Southern Regional in GA... greenbook?
    By SmoothOperator in forum AUA Medical School Clinical Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-22-2009, 04:03 PM
  5. Southern Regional, Ga
    By kluverbusy in forum AUA Medical School Clinical Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-19-2009, 09:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •