PDA

View Full Version : Clinicals

phenotype
01-31-2006, 03:18 PM
Can anyone PLEASEEE tell me the TRUTH about where and when students do their clinicals? No arguing about off topic things. Just give me the facts. Preferably from an actual student OR even better someone who has or will be doing their clinicals.

orangecrush
02-01-2006, 10:34 AM
Are you a student at St. Chris?

bts4202
02-01-2006, 02:22 PM
please search the archives, I have posted the states that we do clinicals in many many times. Once again, we have clins in NY, Ct, Ga, SC, La, Il, Mi, Oh, Md, Az, Co, Va, and soon to be Al.

phenotype
02-01-2006, 07:47 PM
I am admitted for this comming semester, but I want to be sure that what they are saying about where the clinicals are held are TRUE before I continue my process. Also is there a current student willing to talk to me over the phone?

OLDPRO
02-02-2006, 07:36 AM
the school has a policy of not allowing students to post where clinicals are.
Sorry

phenotype
02-04-2006, 05:27 PM
That is not entirly true. The school can say what states it is in, but not the hospitals(Which I do not understand why.) I talked to AUA and they were very upfront and nonsecretive about the clinical states AS well as the hospitals. This as well as other schools have nothing to hide SO WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?

bts4202
02-04-2006, 06:41 PM
That is not entirly true. The school can say what states it is in, but not the hospitals(Which I do not understand why.) I talked to AUA and they were very upfront and nonsecretive about the clinical states AS well as the hospitals. This as well as other schools have nothing to hide SO WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL?

if the policy is unacceptable to you, then I am sure AUA will be happy to take your money. SC is very protective of their clinical sites, maybe even to the point of unneccesary secrecy. However, that is unlikely to change anytime soon.

microphage
02-04-2006, 06:56 PM
don't get bts started on the secret handshake... THAT can spell trouble

bts4202
02-04-2006, 08:54 PM
don't get bts started on the secret handshake... THAT can spell trouble

hey!! Watch it or you'll be sleeping with the fishes... :D

OLDPRO
02-04-2006, 09:17 PM
I really do not know what difference it really makes any way, since the clinical sites can change one year to the next, you go 3 to 4000 miles to go to school why in the heck does it matter that much? All I worry about is greenbook.

phenotype
02-06-2006, 01:12 PM
Stop dancing around the question. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL about letting students know what hospital he or she will be doing clinicals at. I don't know about you, but I think that there is a BIG difference in getting clinical experience in.. lets say.. boomazooma hospital in nowhereville,Senegal and going to an actual hospital with experienced proffesionals! Clinicals are VERY important to me because this is where I can put use what I have been busting my tail studying for. NOT TO MENTION MAKE IMPORTANT CONNECTIONS! I just want to know: 1.) Does SC really have students doing clinicals in thise states? 2.) How organized is it? 3.) Which states do most students go. 4.) why are they secretive about the sites? So far no one has answered all of these and all I am getting is off the wall answers.
(thanx mtt and bts for answering question 1, but I will gladly accept other opinions). ;)

bts4202
02-06-2006, 01:41 PM
(thanx mtt and bts for answering question 1, but I will gladly accept other opinions). ;)

intersting comment.. since mtt has not been on this website in probably 2 years, i take it that you are not truly new to this forum. Your question has been answered multiple time. I have rotated in many of the states listed and know classmates who have rotated in all the others. They are all legit.

phenotype
02-06-2006, 02:12 PM
well maybe a ghost using the name mtt just wrote me a pm yesterday!:shock:
The question was answered, but not answered fully or with the detail I expected.

AUCMD2006
02-06-2006, 02:37 PM
they only disclose them when you are in and paid up on their listserv. supposedly it's because the sites are so "good" that other schools will try and take them away...which may or may not be the case. someone emailed me the list last year, i agreed not to post specifics...who knows maybe they do have to watch out for other schools....

they do have rotations in the states bts mentioned. however, not a single one of them was a great outstanding ivy league site that they previously claimed. all the foreign schools that cater to american students pretty much have the same type of hospital pool, they are community hospitals without a med school behind their name. this is not to say its bad training, just that the big time university hospitals already have their students rotating there and the vast majority do not allow rotators for credit from non lcme or canadian schools on a regular basis. (yes everyone knows a friend of a friend who was able to rotate with dr greatest at greatest general hospital) but none of the big time univeristy hospitals have the capacity to take a even a small class from our schools.

so there are clinical rotrations for SC, one of them shared with AUC, Saba, Ross, SMU in louisiana, another 2 shared with Ross in chicago. wether you go to SC or auc, or any other of these schools, you will be at smaller hosptals that take you because they have to just make sure they are acgme rotations though. i checked a few of the sites just briefly from SC and a substantial part of them were not directly acgme, this is not to say they aren't, they are probably affiliated through some other program but i don't have the kind of time to waste on this so i just picked out a 6 or 7 at random and ran them through acgme.org

at least the SC brady bunch has stopped claiming the rotations were rotations to end all rotations for all time from this end of the universe to the end of the 8th dimension, 6th tantral plane, and all parallel universes.

OLDPRO
02-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Stop dancing around the question. WHAT IS THE BIG DEAL about letting students know what hospital he or she will be doing clinicals at. I don't know about you, but I think that there is a BIG difference in getting clinical experience in.. lets say.. boomazooma hospital in nowhereville,Senegal and going to an actual hospital with experienced proffesionals! Clinicals are VERY important to me because this is where I can put use what I have been busting my tail studying for. NOT TO MENTION MAKE IMPORTANT CONNECTIONS! I just want to know: 1.) Does SC really have students doing clinicals in thise states? 2.) How organized is it? 3.) Which states do most students go. 4.) why are they secretive about the sites? So far no one has answered all of these and all I am getting is off the wall answers.

Then Dare I say.............Don't go to this school then. BTS is a clinical student in his last semester now. If you don't like them posting then I don't know? Not many students want to be picked on here as far as I know.

anubis
02-06-2006, 05:39 PM

1. I have done all my rotations in Chicago, core and electives. Actual hospitals, real patients. Have been in the same rotations with students from Ross, St. Mathew's, SABA, St. Chris, and, yes, even U.S. All with experienced proffesionals [sic].
2. Nothing is organized. That is up to you. But there is a system and it seems to work most of the time.
3. Don't know in what states most students do their rotations. Don't care.
4. They are not secretive. In my 5th semester I received a list. Free. Be patient. I'm sure it has been modified since I received it and will be again by the time you get there.
From my limited experience, I have found most foreign schools work the same way.

TAFKA
02-06-2006, 11:03 PM
edited to remove text

PathOne
02-07-2006, 10:50 AM
I'm sorry, but I have to say that I find it somewhat strange that the sites for clinical training shouldn't be public information. It's an integral, and very important, part of your medical training, and will greatly assist, or hinder, in obtaining a residency (getting LoR's, experience etc.).
If SC is so afraid that their clinical affiliations could be "stolen", it seems that the current affiliation is somewhat flimsy at best.

Also, I noted that BTS4202 listed NY as providing clinical rotations. Is SC NY State approved?

Tritonesub
02-07-2006, 12:14 PM
Also, I noted that BTS4202 listed NY as providing clinical rotations. Is SC NY State approved?

No but you can still do 12 weeks there. You can also do everything other than peds and ob/gyn (use this as your 12 weeks) at a VA in NY since it is under federal juristiction and the 12 week rule doesnt apply

orangecrush
02-07-2006, 12:42 PM
The clinical sites are really not much different than the places other foriegn schools go to. Not a secret to those who are in school already at foriegn. We don't need people bugging our pd at these sites with students who have not even started school let alone pass their step 1! Good grief, they have enough to deal with. The biggest bummer I have seen so far, is that I have not been able to secure an OB/GYN rotation that is greenbook through St. Chris. Everything else I have booked through St. Chris has been ACGME, and those have been my cores.

This subject has already been discussed before many times...use the search button.

phenotype
02-07-2006, 01:28 PM
Then Dare I say.............Don't go to this school then. BTS is a clinical student in his last semester now. If you don't like them posting then I don't know? Not many students want to be picked on here as far as I know.__________________
Give me a break! You don't have to be rude. I never said I did not like him posting, but one can give a comment without sounding pompous.I am a prospective student who is trying to get as much detailed info as possible because I have am running out of time to make THE MOST IMPORTANT CHOICE OF MY LIFE! Correct me if I am wrong, but I thought this forum would be a good start for students to get "the real deal" and clarify any concerns. Just because I question the school does not mean I think bad of it. As a matter of fact it is because I am seriously considering this school that I ask these questions(sorry if some are repetitive but nobody was clear when answering). You should be ashamed of yourself for your comment,"blah, blah THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE)! I would hate to have you as a student ambassador! Anubis and Tafka have done a great job in giving me info as best as they could without critisism. You should do the same or don't put up a comment.

TAFKA
02-07-2006, 03:00 PM
edited to remove text

AUCMD2006
02-07-2006, 04:05 PM
"1) you're wrong and i'm correcting you... this is a terrible place to get information and it is certainly not unbiased information"

yea a much better place for unbiased info on SC can be found on SDN, or better yet by contacting the admin...(note sarcasm) this sitre gets you both extremes and alot of middle ground to ask more detailedf questions.

"2) whuds is not a "student ambassador" - he is the moderator of this forum... that means his affiliation is with www.valuemd.com (http://www.valuemd.com/), not with st. chris"

edit-misread thought they were talking about bts

"if you want better information, i would suggest getting into a detailed discussion with one of the many students (bts4202 would ironically be a particularly good source of info) somewhere other than this website. you'll have to forgive us, but we're under constant attack here and that colors the way we respond to things here."

-BTS. tafka, mtt can gove you all the positives (i don't think they lie about SC just accrentuate the positives and forget all else) but try to contact orangecrush, frenchfrie, even whuds now that he has perspective, to get a more balanced view. SC is constantly under attack because of a long history of making up bullcrap. alot of the critisism is unwarranted but much is brought on by ridiculous claims dating back to the affiliation with cambridge.

good luck trying to get a real deal pic of SC both sides are pretty polarized.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.