PDA

View Full Version : From a Resident

circus
11-20-2003, 11:11 AM
The posts against IUHS have become so redundant on this forum, that I almost wonder what the true ulterior motive is of the posters. No one leaves any names or any specific information. I think that it really is time for the people on this site to re-evaluate where this information is coming from.

Let me just give you some of my own experiences with IUHS. First, I was one of their first students on campus. I went through the PBL curriculum, and stayed with IUHS on campus at St. Kitts for my basic sciences. I then did transfer to another school, but that was much more for personal reasons than because of the quality of on campus education. I took and passed the USMLE Step 1 on my first attempt with a score of 90. I then took and passed Step 2 and the CSA, also with similar scores, and also on the first attempt. I applied for and matched for residency in General Surgery, Categorical. I changed my mind about my specialty, and I was let out of my contract and then applied for and matched in categorical medicine at a university program. I have been published 4 times in the last year in very reputable journals.

What I am trying to say is that, it doesn't matter where you go. In most instances it doesn't even matter who your professors are. You have to work hard on your own, you have to make sure that you learn what you need. You have to study hard. The role of professors, especially in a PBL program is not to hand you all of the information, but to help you to cull the sheer volume of possible information downward to the essentials that you must know, and allow you to expand on that information as much as is possible. I am not the only former IUHS student that stayed on campus that passed step 1 on the first attempt. I personally know two others - but those are the only two that I remained in contact with.

I am not urging anyone to attend or not attend IUHS. What I am trying to do is give you at least this much encouragement - wherever you choose to attend medical school, if you work hard, do the reading you need, do questions, pay attention to what you are offered - you can succeed and succeed well. On the downside, if you think that you can get by on the board exams with simply the material you get in class, it doesn't matter where you go offshore - you are not going to make it.

I wish all of you the best of luck in pursuing your medical career. If you have any questions, post them on this forum and I will attempt to respond as I have time. Try not to focus on the negative aspects of being offshore - it will only take away from your ability to concentrate on important things. And enjoy the beaches and time with your friends - trust me you will miss them immensely when you finally are able to start residency.

dt
11-20-2003, 12:39 PM
circus, can you comment on any potential pitfalls with various states licensing in regards to IUHS? I assume that you must have done research into this. Care to share?

circus
11-20-2003, 06:08 PM
There are some states that I cannot get a license. California and New Mexico are among those. But those two states also are out of bounds for all but St. George, Ross and AUG, I believe. I don't know about Indiana - which is widely quoted on this forum - I wasn't interested in practicing there, and I did not contact them. Illinois should not be a problem for me. I am also able to apply in New York once my residency is completed (since I performed rotations in the US - NY regulations). I was also an on campus student for my studies at IUHS, so I will be able to apply in Massachussetts. I can also apply in Virginia. Those are the states that I was most interested in, so I checked them most in depth. I may have some difficulty in Pennsylvania, but that is not uncommon - pennsylvania has been known to even deny training licenses to residents from offshore schools, including ross. You can contact the rest of the state boards if you want - I contacted quite a few, but in general the most important issue I found was to make sure that all rotations were green book if possible. If they are not (if any of them are not), then that places the greatest amount of restrictions on you.

dt
11-20-2003, 06:39 PM
Thanks circus for the reply. With all the discussions about the eLP at IUHS I was not sure about the viability of a degree from the school.

AUCMD2006
11-20-2003, 07:15 PM
ross auc and sgu are ok for california and new mexico but due to the fact that most if not all states require physical presence at a campusfor a number of weeks any pbl distance learning program is currently worthless if you want to work. also circus i assume to be a resident and does not have the unrestricted license yet which, even though i am not there yet, i have checked into at least in florida and illinois is much more difficult to get than a restricted license for residency and he may run into a glich if he/she used any pbl credits for his MD. at least according to the illinois board maybe other states are different. either way i will never understand why, if given an option, would anyone go any route other than the tried and true. maybe i am not adventureous, maybe i value 200k too much i don't know which.....unless you've been rejected from every decent fopreign school why oh why would you try and chart new territory? my 2 cents

azskeptic
11-20-2003, 07:35 PM
Did you see the law changes effective 7-15-03 for Virginia. This will effectively stop those who did ELP from IUHS and UHSA I think. Az Skeptic

http://www.dhp.state.va.us/medicine/leg/Med_7-15-03.doc

18 VAC 85-20-122. Educational requirements: Graduates and former students of institutions not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board.

A. A graduate of an institution not approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board shall present documentary evidence that he:

1. Was enrolled and physically in attendance at the institution's principal site for a minimum of two consecutive years and fulfilled at least half of the degree requirements while enrolled two consecutive academic years at the institution's principal site;

2. Has fulfilled the applicable requirements of 54.1-2930 of the Code of Virginia.

3. Has obtained a certificate from the Educational Council of Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), or its equivalent. Proof of licensure by the board of another State or Territory of the United States or a Province of Canada may be accepted in lieu of ECFMG certification.

4. Has had supervised clinical training as a part of his curriculum in an approved hospital, institution or school of medicine offering an approved residency program in the specialty area for the clinical training received, if such training was received in the United States.

5. Has completed three years of satisfactory postgraduate training as an intern or resident in a hospital or health care facility offering an approved internship or residency training program when such a program is approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board for internship and residency.

a. The board may substitute other postgraduate training or study for the three-year requirement when such training or study has occurred in the United States or Canada and is:

(1) An approved fellowship program; or

(2) A position teaching medical students, interns, or residents in a medical school program approved by an accrediting agency recognized by the board for internship and residency training.

b. The board may substitute continuous full time practice of five years or more with a limited professorial license in Virginia, and one year of postgraduate training in a foreign country, in lieu of three years of postgraduate training.

6. Has received a degree from the institution.

circus
11-20-2003, 07:45 PM
if you read my earlier post, i believe that i did mention i was an on campus student. And I also believe that I mentioned that the biggest hurdle was ensuring that all your rotations were green book.

As for me - I was not aware of the absolute latest regulations from virginia. But they are not significantly different than they were before. And since I did attend on campus, they do not affect me to as great a degree as they might some others. Of course, if you read my posts, you will see that I do not mention the eLP program or its possibilities/problems anywhere. I did not choose to follow that route, and I have not researched what that route would imply in terms of licensing requirements.

Also - as far as an unrestricted license being more difficult to obtain than a training license - that may generally be considered to be the case. However, in general, you will find that states will only issue training licenses to those residents who meet, at least in the broadest sense, the general requirements for an unrestricted license at some point in the future. This may not be a universal rule, but you will note that if you are not eligible for unrestricted licensing in california, you will not be able to obtain a training license and train in a residency program there. The same applies in Pennsylvania. Although unrestricted licensing is never a guarantee for offshore students, in general if you are in a residency program in a particular state with a training license, and you pass your residency with no legal problems or lawsuits, and you apply for a license, you should hopefully be able to obtain it.

Hope that helps.

azskeptic
11-20-2003, 07:50 PM
if you physically attended the school, and can prove it via your passports,receipts,etc. you won't have any problems I think. The ELP program folks haven't caught on that the state boards require physical attendance. I have researched it fairly comprehensively.

Pennsylvania won't accept UHSA but I read nothing about IUHS in general in their laws.

Massachusetts is more complex than Pennsylvania.....

Az Skeptic

teratos
11-21-2003, 05:53 AM
If you stayed on the campus it shouldn't be a problem. It is the distance learning program that won't work. G

mmiller
12-04-2003, 11:43 PM
Where can I go online to get the details?

Thanks

Mark

IMG X-Files
06-26-2004, 08:19 PM
Good Posting, Thank you
First congrads, students must be aware that they actually need to ATTEND the school, examination should never be online and not supervised !
Second, minimum of 24 months should be at the school, this is traditional as most MD degree programs out there......
For a school to be accepted, the student must be enrolled for 36 months minimum and basic sciences should be taken as well !!
Some schools offer advance standing for prospective students only after examination !!, ex: PhD in anatomy, can be exempted from taking Gross Anatomy etc......but not for PA or Nurses, it is a different ball game all together !!!
My recommendations:
Stay with schools with minimum 36 months of time to graduate
must take examinations onsite !!!Advance standings only based on serious course load, such as PhD students and never for the whole 2 years !!!
On Campus attendance as well as clerkship with affiliated hospitals are MUST in order to graduate to become an MD If online medical programs want to be accredited or accepted in most states then their curriculum must be modified.....according to the latter.....
for more information you can contact me,

regards,

IMG X-Files
06-28-2004, 11:19 PM
what about grads from these schools who did attend the school, traditionally speaking ?
I know these schools are offering to enroll students traditionally as well, for students with no previous medical training like RNs, DCs, DPMs etc...... what about these grads who went through the regular training program ? are they at risk as well ?
I would argue otherwise, since just by reviewing these schools MD program it is on par with all approved medical programs worldwide.......as long as they execute the training as suggested via several medical boards, ie attendance, examinations are in class, and 36 months minimum to graduation and no short cuts !!!, anything less is unacceptable and sub standard to medical education and training.....

thanks,

IMG X-Files
06-28-2004, 11:26 PM
If you stayed on the campus it shouldn't be a problem. It is the distance learning program that won't work. G

George Durst, M.D.
Moderator AUC Forum
Bored certified

this is how you sign your name ? as a BOARD CERTIFIED you spell it a little funny if you ask me, I doubt you are an MD Mr. Durst......after taking BOARD exams so many times you would not spell "Bored" for "board", just wondering !!! FYI,
please fix to correct your "credentials"

regards,

emt036
06-29-2004, 08:57 AM

regards,
IMG Advisor
International Medical Education Advisor

Speaking of credentials, what certification(s) do you possess that enable you to use the titles IMG Advisor and International Medical Education Advisor? Just curious.

wcb22
06-29-2004, 09:33 AM
i think he puts "bored" on there because he has a sense of humor. :roll:

wolfvgang22
07-01-2004, 12:41 AM
Mr. Super-Duper IMG Guy has all of 30 posts wherein he merely repeats what others are already saying ad nauseam.....and he wants to criticize Dr. Durst on his sig??

I think it would be just great if Dr. Durst required an apology like Steph just did on another forum. :twisted:

IMG X-Files
07-09-2004, 12:25 AM
Hello, I am a past faculty member, more specifically a medical examiner....
hope this helps.....
Take care

anencephalic
07-09-2004, 06:00 AM

George Durst, M.D.
Moderator AUC Forum
Bored certified

this is how you sign your name ? as a BOARD CERTIFIED you spell it a little funny if you ask me, I doubt you are an MD Mr. Durst......after taking BOARD exams so many times you would not spell "Bored" for "board", just wondering !!! FYI,

regards,

Pretty strong words from an individual claiming to be an "IMG Advisor" and following up by claiming to be "past faculty" and "medical examiner".

Dr. Durst is the real deal (as numerous students, myself included, can attest to).

It's easy to claim anything from behind a shroud of anonymity. You could even claim to have won the Nobel Prize in 1999 :shock: . So come on, Mr."medical examiner/former faculty/IMG advisor/I can post links to numerous somewhat relevant websites in my signature while simultaneously criticizing the taglines of others"...the question has been posed to you on numerous occasions yet you consistently dodge the issue by refusing to answer.

Post your credentials and set all our collective minds at ease...otherwise, your "advice" will continue to be accepted as it is currently perceived...EMPTY.

Aloha,

stephew
07-22-2004, 06:11 PM

George Durst, M.D.
Moderator AUC Forum
Bored certified

regards,

insulting users and flaming is against tos,

stephew
07-22-2004, 06:14 PM
Mr. Super-Duper IMG Guy has all of 30 posts wherein he merely repeats what others are already saying ad nauseam.....and he wants to criticize Dr. Durst on his sig??

I think it would be just great if Dr. Durst required an apology like Steph just did on another forum. :twisted:

yes which by the way, that person never gave, making him look pretty much like the fool he is. was, since that user, in the guise of that username, never came back. Troll.

teratos
07-22-2004, 08:28 PM

George Durst, M.D.
Moderator AUC Forum
Bored certified

regards,

Meant to be a joke. I invite you to look me up on www.docboard.org You will find my license under the state of Maryland. You can check my board certification at www.abim.org

HINT: DON'T search Buzz Lightyear. I doubt you'll find anything.

****, if you are an IMG advisor, shouldn't you know how to do that already?

Please get a sense of humor. Cheers

christiano
09-28-2004, 11:57 PM
Dear circus:
I'm wishing to enroll inside the on line MD programme of the iuhs.
I'm european citizen and I work in Asia in hospital.
What you personally suggest to me about this university?
All the best
C

lswiltshire
09-29-2004, 03:23 PM
PM ME
LET ME PUT YOU ON TO ONE PERSON WGHO CAN TELL YOU FIRST HAND OF THIER EXPERIENCE

READ THE POSTS ON THIS FORUM AND ON
http://www.network54.com/Forum/156286

and learn the truth about IUHS

THERE ARE TOO MANY SCHOOLS TO MAKE THIS MISTAKE SONNY

drpike69
02-17-2005, 02:08 PM
All of the peolpe out there who want to get good info about IUHS, should read about the trials of Circus, because Circus knows.
As for the online program, I know that when I transfered to IUHS last fall, all of the tests were proctered at my local medical school, not some on line nonsence, so stop saying that the tests are not supervised.
Also, you should still have no problem getting a license in the states that Cirus mentioned becasue they are IMG friendly. I can also assure you that your transcripts will appear no differnet than those student who attended on campus, so do not worry. Also, for the record, Rush medical college in Chicago, Harvard Med, and several others are trying pilot programs to see if an online curiculum can work, so the online school systems are here to stay!
Doc Pike :P :oops:

wolfvgang22
02-17-2005, 05:39 PM
I can also assure you that your transcripts will appear no differnet than those student who attended on campus, so do not worry.
Really?
How much? Do they do other documents, like "diplomas", too?

lswiltshire
02-17-2005, 07:21 PM
Doc Pike

It will tell you about all the fictitious credit hours for every block in the Basic Sciences Program.

I have colleagues and class mates that taught there Doc Pike.

I am not talking in a vacuum

Picard
02-18-2005, 02:38 PM
I can also assure you that your transcripts will appear no differnet than those student who attended on campus, so do not worry.

Wow, can't believe this. IUHS just admitted to fraud. So, our suspicion (and the acusation of the former faculty) is true that IUHS templates their transcript to give the illusion that these on-line courses, advanced credit courses... etc to look like they were taken "in-residenc" on campus. This is fraud!! If medical boards find out, it's grounds for revocation of medical licensure!!! Good lord.

P

wolfvgang22
02-18-2005, 03:02 PM
May be....it sure looks funny. :lol:

teratos
02-18-2005, 06:29 PM
yep, that's just fantastic. So what if you got your medical degree online, as long as nobody finds out. Of course, as soon as someone DOES find out, and they will, what do you think the result will be???

lswiltshire
02-18-2005, 07:22 PM
I wrote all of the Boards in 2003 and sent them a copy of the transcript template

teratos
02-19-2005, 05:37 AM
People shouldn't intentionally break laws, no matter how unfair they seem. I think it speaks volumes on their intergrity. G

lwstokes
02-19-2005, 10:25 PM
If you wrote to all the medical boards in 2003, and sent a copy of he transcript template, than explain why out of the original students that started in 2000, have been lic in alabama, Illinos and michagan to name just a few, as of this year..I am sure you will be doing you homework seeing how you know how to contact the boards you should have no problem verifiying this with the board of medicine in those states.

I wrote all of the Boards in 2003 and sent them a copy of the transcript template

lswiltshire
02-20-2005, 08:28 AM
I am not responsible for the poor, or inconsistent standards in the states with respect to licensure.

But I can tell you about the template transcript, who set it up , how I got it and that it was sent.

I can tell you that many students who might have gone to this bogus school have not gone because of the efforts who have told the truth about what they know or experienced at IUHS.

You are free to describe your experiences, and I am free to tell the truth about mine. Is that fair.

lwstokes
02-21-2005, 09:13 PM
That is fair but how about telling the truth... you said nobody would be lic and that is not the whole truth.. life is about choices you my not be comfortable or able to handle a program of that magnatude however it appears others have and been successful and most importantly they are lic MD's... how can you are anybody else knock that... boarden your mind a little

I am not responsible for the poor, or inconsistent standards in the states with respect to licensure.

But I can tell you about the template transcript, who set it up , how I got it and that it was sent.

I can tell you that many students who might have gone to this bogus school have not gone because of the efforts who have told the truth about what they know or experienced at IUHS.

You are free to describe your experiences, and I am free to tell the truth about mine. Is that fair.

Picard
02-22-2005, 02:31 PM
Problem is, if some of the on-line grad did indeed get licensed (again, we have zero confirmation on this now) using this templated transcript, then they have committed fraud... and their license will be revoked when they are caught.

P

AUCMD2006
02-22-2005, 03:49 PM
governemnt stuff takes time. the average time in miami for a fake doctor to get caught is about a year that is without paperwork. i would venture to say whoever sues their place of employment will have a MASSIVE payday when time comes.

when docs get sued their reocrds are gone over in fine detail so what they are doing is building a house of cards with these grads. as soon as one gets sued i can see the lawyers eyes glowing with greed when they see the license shouldn't be valid and looking at all the other grads and any 'complaints' they have against them, or the board will look up every other grad.... either way its only time. docs who got mail order diplomas in the 80's were able to practice for a few years weren't they?

lwstokes
02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
Frist of all you are only *** u me that a templated transcript was use and secondly I believe most lic boards now does a through background check of credential, especially in lite of pass problems. and if someone like yourself think there is a problem I am sure the professional knows what they are doing and good thing there are professionals and not people full of opinions. ( and i am sure if you go to the state board of medicine in the states I indentified your comfirmation will be address and if you do decided to check please come back and share

Problem is, if some of the on-line grad did indeed get licensed (again, we have zero confirmation on this now) using this templated transcript, then they have committed fraud... and their license will be revoked when they are caught.

P

wolfvgang22
02-22-2005, 07:02 PM
http://img206.exs.cx/img206/6746/dograbies9jd.jpg

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.