PDA

View Full Version : is this the right choice?

usangel
01-10-2006, 11:02 PM
i jus applied to St.Chris a few days back for the Sep 06 6yr Md prog. i recently discovered all the stuff about the accredition with the UK. is this true or not?? should i go ahead with my plan or go ahead look for other choices?? itz juz tht i dont wanna make one of the biggest mistakes.....hopefully somebody out there could provide me with information....thankin u all again....n i would also like to know how the current students enjoy St.Chris?

usangel
01-10-2006, 11:09 PM
i recently applied to st.chris a few days back. but unfortunately i jus discovered all the confusion abou the accredition in the UK. is this true or not?? if i get accepted am i makin the right choice or r there goin to be consequeces in the future? jus makin sure before i completely make my decision. i would also like to knw how the current students enjoy st.chris....hoping that somebody out there would provide me with information. thanking you

###
01-10-2006, 11:16 PM

neilc
01-10-2006, 11:36 PM
is the stuff true with the UK? yes, there is an investigation going on now. the results should be out soon. (btw, besides the investigation there are other potential issues with st chris such as operating outside of the country of charter and no outside approvals, which put you at risk for not getting a license in several states)

should go ahead with your plan or look for other choices? well, that is up to you. if you are well aware of the risks of st chris and the unique issues it faces, and are still comfortable, you should go. if you are insecure or uninformed you should at least look into it carefully, as well as look into other options before you commit.

how do current students like st chris? not being one, it is tough to say. but, i must admit that the majority seem to be happy with the education. there are some grumblings here and there about admin and not being well informed about things, but there are a lot of very happy students as well. i think many are nervous about the GMC investigation, however. i am sure some current students will post there personal thoughts, though, which will give you a far more accurate answer on this than i can give.

good luck

bts4202
01-11-2006, 02:42 PM
i jus applied to St.Chris a few days back for the Sep 06 6yr Md prog. i recently discovered all the stuff about the accredition with the UK. is this true or not?? should i go ahead with my plan or go ahead look for other choices?? itz juz tht i dont wanna make one of the biggest mistakes.....hopefully somebody out there could provide me with information....thankin u all again....n i would also like to know how the current students enjoy St.Chris?

Hi,

I am a 4th year student of St. Chris. I have 3 clinical electives left and I will be graduating in June, then entering a residency in July. I will try to answer your question the best that I can.

The investigation by the GMC is 100% true. There should be results within the next few weeks according to the GMC and the St. Chris admin. No one but the GMC itself knows what their decision will be, however the st chris admin and board of trustees is supremely confident that we will be vindicated (board of trustees has sent out several mass emails updating us on the situation). This situation only reflects political issues with St. Christopher's rather than any quality of education type issues.

Most students of st christopher's, myself included, feel that we recieve an excellent education. Is everyone at st chris happy? No, there is no place on earth where everyone is happy about everything (except maybe ***** Koresh's kool aid party). However, the vast majority of students are quite satisfied with their choice of school. One thing that must be considered though is that there are some states where our graduates may not be able to work after graduation. If you would like to work in Ca, Tx, or Ks then st chris is not the right school for you. If practicing in all 50 states is important to you, then please consider SGU, Irish schools, australian schools, Ross, AUC, and SABA.

Personaly, I am very happy. I worked very hard during my basic sciences and passed my USMLE step 1 on the first attempt. I recieved excellent clinical rotations throughout the US and was even able to obtain a letter of recommendation from a world famous surgeon during my core surgery rotation. After my core clinical rotations, I was easily able to pass my USMLE step 2 CK and CS. Some may say that I am special and not everyone gets to do the things that I have gotten to do. To that, I would say that every place that I have gone and everything that I have done has been right alongside many other st chris students. While some will invariably struggle with learning the material, it seems that my story is pretty standard for the majority of my classmates.

Good luck to you.

PS: If you would like to get some opinions of other st chris students, feel free to email some of the people in the thread in the main st chris forum that says "contact st chris students".

empathy
01-11-2006, 07:02 PM
i recently applied to st.chris a few days back. but unfortunately i jus discovered all the confusion abou the accredition in the UK. is this true or not??

Yes, it is true - see the GMC website. But the investigation isn't over yet so no one really knows what is going to happen good or bad. I'd wait to attend until things settle down.

if i get accepted am i makin the right choice or r there goin to be consequeces in the future? jus makin sure before i completely make my decision.

Consequences. The charter issues - we've mentioned in the past. Also like I've said many times check out the backgrounds of the owners, etc. Make sure they are solid honest people. That will tell you whether or not this school, your degree, has a future.

i would also like to knw how the current students enjoy st.chris....hoping that somebody out there would provide me with information. thanking you[/quote]

I'm not a student but I have spoken to a few. They said that the teachers are good hard working people but they don't trust the administration. They have been through a couple of deans and have some now that they don't feel are straight forward honest people. This could just be an oppinion. I have never met D, M, W or K. I don't know if they are good honest men or not. Just check out their back grounds. Students like Luton and enjoy being in England.

TAFKA
01-11-2006, 09:24 PM
edited to remove text

neilc
01-11-2006, 09:44 PM
i've had an excellent experience at sc... just because sgu, auc, and ross happen to have been around longer doesn't mean that they are better schools... after the reverification by the gmc is complete a lot of the "controversy" that is supposedly surrounding my school will go away and then the superior instruction, clinical placements, and quality of life will make the school a better choice than the caribbean/mexican schools. however, sc's performance on the usmle step 1 is still not as good as the irish and australian schools... i am hopeful that when the school can put its resources into more productive things than refuting baseless e-mails/letters sent by the likes of neilc and azskeptic to anyone with an e-mail address or post office box that we will eventually overtake the australian and irish schools in usmle performance.

1. your school still will have significant issues (ie many states you cannot work in due to no approval, and the as yet untested charter issue in nearly every state). even assuming the GMC fiasco is somehow resolved in your favor, there will be many, many schools that are a better bet than st chris.

2. nobody knows true pass rates, except the schools. and, i wouldn't trust any of them with giving real first time pass rate data, especially st chris.

3. i have never sent a single email to anybody regarding st chris. the exception would be students or potential students that contact me first.

there are real issues, real doubts and real potential problems with a st chris education. it is that simple. if people such as yourself are happy with it, great. i get a bit peeved when i see somebody claiming all of this great stuff when all of it is still a big maybe.

potential students should have the benefit of knowing the reality...ie st chris appears to be good in three states so far, wherever the licensed grads are. beyond that, who knows! the GMC is investigating st chris now. of course the admin are going to tell you everything is going to be fine...what else would they say? they need the money! but, the GMC already posted a negative finding, that may have tipped their hand. i would be wary of what admin say. they have a very poor history of predicting success.

i

bts4202
01-11-2006, 09:49 PM
3. i have never sent a single email to anybody regarding st chris. the exception would be students or potential students that contact me first.

you may want to consider editing this out or else people might see you as someone who is not completely honest. I have read your email to the jersey journal, I am sure I could find the link.

neilc
01-11-2006, 10:04 PM
you may want to consider editing this out or else people might see you as someone who is not completely honest. I have read your email to the jersey journal, I am sure I could find the link.

ahhh, yes! the jersey debacle...i stand corrected, bts...i did write an email then. but i believe it was to the school questioning the reasoning behind advising its students to attend any offshore school, not to mention one that appears to have graduates who do not meet the jersey law (charter issue) for licensure....don't think i wrote to the jersey journal, though, just refered to the article in my email to the school. i am still shocked that any US undergrad school would think to partner with any offshore school for pre-med to med school. seems a conflict to me, that they may encourage people to attend an offshore school when striving for a US school is nearly always the better choice.

sorry about that, you are correct. i guess to be more specific, i have not wrote to any governing body, ever.

neilc
01-11-2006, 10:09 PM
you know what else? i gotta say thanks for wording this the way you did. i appreciate it. i clearly left something out (not intentionally, but nobody would ever know that), and you gave me the opportunity to correct it without making me look like an a-hole, which you could have done easily, and justifiably.

thanks.

bts4202
01-11-2006, 10:22 PM
you know what else? i gotta say thanks for wording this the way you did. i appreciate it. i clearly left something out (not intentionally, but nobody would ever know that), and you gave me the opportunity to correct it without making me look like an a-hole, which you could have done easily, and justifiably.

thanks.

Your welcome. ;) I don't want to pretend I am a saint, I definately debated blasting you pretty hard. But there is no need to fight, I just hoped you would be honest and correct your mistake on your own, which you did.

neilc
01-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Your welcome. ;) I don't want to pretend I am a saint, I definately debated blasting you pretty hard. But there is no need to fight, I just hoped you would be honest and correct your mistake on your own, which you did.

i am sure you did contemplate blasting, and nobody would have blamed you. i may not have been as cool about it as you were. i can assure you that next time i will try to remember this...

microphage
01-12-2006, 12:05 AM
my god, this sounds like a family sitcom of the 80s...

neilc
01-12-2006, 12:16 AM
my god, this sounds like a family sitcom of the 80s...

which one??

can i be gary coleman in different strokes??

"whatchoo talkin 'bout, willis?"

jpryor
01-12-2006, 06:53 AM
but, the GMC already posted a negative finding, that may have tipped their hand. i would be wary of what admin say. they have a very poor history of predicting success.

Although I can appreciate your attitude toward SC, misrepresenting facts damages your credibility. Yes, the GMC did post new verbiage on its web site for part of a day then replaced it with the old verbiage. Those of us who read it (and can be honest) will state that the new verbiage was not specific to SC but to all of the schools that were being investigated. Alleging a "negative finding" is patently false, at this time. Unless one believes that the GMC completed its investigations into multiple schools on the same day, the verbiage change can only reflect an administrative decision as opposed to investigative results. An administrative decision is a political decision and given the political volatility of this issue in the UK right now it is not at all surprising that the GMC is doing the Politically Correct thing.

It's worth noting that the new verbiage page has not been reposted at the GMC web site, despite predictions that it was a benevolent gesture on the part of the GMC to withhold it for the holidays. Reasonable people can draw different conclusions from that.

Having read many of your posts regarding the SC administration, I don't fault your crusade. However, if a reader reviews the posts at each school's forum they'll find numerous complaints about each school's administration. I, too, learned not to trust any word coming out of the mouths of the administrators at my school. I think it's a cultural thing that results in lies and highly creative marketing for these new schools. As the schools become more established, these kind of issues lessen. Does it make them a bad school? Well, how can anybody defend lies and cheats? But, as we are witnessing, good students are coming out of these programs.

Much has been said about the charter issue. I may be in the minority, but I don't think it's much of an issue. Since this is becoming a lengthy post, I'll table that debate for another thread...as I'm sure ears have perked up on this statement :D

neilc
01-12-2006, 09:05 AM
well, i am of the opinion that the didn't simply creat a new web page with that wording for poops and giggles. somebody was obviously told to create it, with that verbiage for all the schools. i have no idea what goes on internally at the GMC, but i think that page was written as it was for a good reason, and simply released early. there may well be more research going into it, but based on what we have seen, it seems that a negative finding is at least very possible, if not likely.

i agree about admin at every school. certainly even the best schools still can provide less than accurate information. but, the admin at st chris have been especially bad about providing anything accurate, while often taking the extra step to being blatantly misleading. i have certainly seen evidence of some inaccuracy from most every offshore medical school. but, never with the depth and breadth that i have seen from st chris.

jpryor
01-12-2006, 09:31 AM
I doubt that many would argue that the adminsitrators of these offshore schools play fast and loose with the facts. I have no problem calling for the heads of these guys if it is determined that they defrauded students in any manner that causes them harm. But the scant information provided doesn't cause me to jump on the bandwagon of impugning the school. As noted, you've been following the tales from the administration and it's a matter of degrees (in most cases) that isn't any different other schools. For that matter, there's a current discussion on this topic on the AUC forum.

But I reiterate my point about the verbiage changes that were seen on the GMC web site briefly. These changes were not school specific, which means it was an adminstrative action, not the result of an investigation. To portray this as a "negative result" in not accurate. While it shouldn't warm the cockles of anybody's heart, it also shouldn't infer that something dire is imminent. That said, I fully expect the GMC will find someway to impede SC. I suspect there is some frustration on the part of the GMC that they don't have a stronger grip on the legal aspect of things and that there are some machinations afoot to change that. Whether that bodes ill or well for SC remains to be seen.

azskeptic
01-12-2006, 10:39 AM
If there are bombs going off in a neighborhood, it is logical to stay out of the neighborhood until it is either safe or the source of the explosions is discovered and rectified. The GMC stuff is deadly serious since their decision will directly affect how graduates of SC are seen. Apologists for the school are doing a disservice to potential students if they advise anything other than caution.

bts4202
01-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Just as it is illogical to ignore the GMC investigation and forge ahead, it is also illogical to claim imminent denial and to "run for the hills". A decision will be made very soon, so the logical thing to do is to cautiously wait it out.

azskeptic
01-12-2006, 10:58 AM
Just as it is illogical to ignore the GMC investigation and forge ahead, it is also illogical to claim imminent denial and to "run for the hills". A decision will be made very soon, so the logical thing to do is to cautiously wait it out. Unless you have spoken to the NHS Fraud Investigation Unit or the administrators of GMC and have secret information the time of the investigation and the release of the information is unknown. Could be days or months...no one knows and obviously GMC and the NHS aren't saying.

bts4202
01-12-2006, 11:37 AM
Unless you have spoken to the NHS Fraud Investigation Unit or the administrators of GMC and have secret information the time of the investigation and the release of the information is unknown. Could be days or months...no one knows and obviously GMC and the NHS aren't saying.

Lets just say that I have more information than you do in this instance. ;)

maximillian genossa
01-12-2006, 11:49 AM
Lets just say that I have more information than you do in this instance. ;)

That's gotta hurt.

maximillian genossa
01-12-2006, 11:53 AM
an apologists to some schools, just for the hell of ticking some people off and see their reactions. Some do have valid defensive points, others don't.

HOWEVER, Not until the official investigations are complete and the respectives announcements are made, it cannot be considered a right choice. It will be more of a risk than anything else. You want to take risk, invest in penny stocks or go to Vegas on a gambling spree.

Cheers all,

Max'

If there are bombs going off in a neighborhood, it is logical to stay out of the neighborhood until it is either safe or the source of the explosions is discovered and rectified. The GMC stuff is deadly serious since their decision will directly affect how graduates of SC are seen. Apologists for the school are doing a disservice to potential students if they advise anything other than caution.

empathy
01-12-2006, 11:54 AM
What list were you referring to on the Student Doctor Network in Nov. You said you saw a list from the GMC of things St. Chris needs to answer? Who showed you this list? The school is under investigation. It's not a matter of paperwork. The GMC has seen all the paperwork St. Chris has by now I'm sure.

You also said that there are probably only 6 or 7 students that do clinicals in the UK each year. That is not what you guys have claimed in the past. Why do ans.to questions keep changing?

Also, you are a student. How do you have access to administrative paperwork and stats?

Search Yahoo: St. Christopher's College of Medicine BTS GMC Investigation

jpryor
01-12-2006, 11:58 AM
Before any of us gets too smug in our opinion, it's worth mentioning that this issue will probably have a political resolution. It may become a moot point whether SC had a recognized charter between 2000 and 2003, especially if there is no disagreement about it having a recogniozed charter from 2003 to the present. The GMC has been facing pressure from the physicians within the UK to ease the process for FMG's to practice in the UK. While that matter is tangential to the SC issue, the political spill-over cannot be denied. That's why I have said that none of us really knows what the issues are. I doubt that it has remained a simple matter of documentation and dates.

empathy
01-12-2006, 12:22 PM
That's silly. Do you really think the GMC are going to put patients at risk because of politics? Malpractice ins. costs would sky rocket and they'd simply lose more doctors than they gained. Let's keep things in prospective. St. Chris is a small medical college chartered in a third world country whose admistration's qualifications the english refer to as "Quack". To make matters worse Senegal has a bad rep for diploma mills.

azskeptic
01-12-2006, 12:36 PM
That's gotta hurt. Doesn't hurt at all. BTS has had more information than me on several occasions. The question is it is correct?

jpryor
01-12-2006, 12:55 PM
That's silly. Do you really think the GMC are going to put patients at risk because of politics? Malpractice ins. costs would sky rocket and they'd simply lose more doctors than they gained. Let's keep things in prospective. St. Chris is a small medical college chartered in a third world country whose admistration's qualifications the english refer to as "Quack". To make matters worse Senegal has a bad rep for diploma mills.

Well, make up your mind. One day you're haranguing us with your extensive knowledge about how SC isn't chartered and then you come back and bash it for being chartered in a third world country.

I can't argue with your perspective of "Mr. L", one of the administrators for SC, as it appears you are, as you put it, an "ex-friend". But within the past 24 hours you have stated that you don't know anything about and have not met the other administrators. Yet, today you call them quacks. Whether it is your intention or not, you have portrayed yourself as a jilted lover intent on badmouthing her boyfriend's school. I doubt many people will give you much credence.

As for your naiveté about politics, frankly, I don't care. You clearly don't understand medical schools or you wouldn't allege that a medical school would affect malpractice claims.

While you're entitled to express an opinion, you would embarrass yourself less if you educated yourself better.

empathy
01-12-2006, 01:18 PM
http://www.valuemd.com/images/statusicon/post_old.gif 12-23-2005, 05:34 PM
http://www.valuemd.com/avatars/bts4202.gif?dateline=1124143980 (http://www.valuemd.com/members/bts4202.html)bts4202 (http://www.valuemd.com/members/bts4202.html) http://www.valuemd.com/images/statusicon/user_offline.gif vbmenu_register("postmenu_348540", true);
Elite Member
http://www.valuemd.com/images/heartb4.gif

Warnings: 1
Warnings Level: 1

once again, as I posted just an hour ago, the documents that were requested should be submitted when the GMC reopens in Jan. If you know of some way to get the GMC to reopen during the holidays then I will be REALLY impressed. However, I am sure their significant others would not be too happy with you for that.

My track record of predictions in england is pretty good. When we lost our ability to get visas, I predicted it would be fixed within a month and it happened. The last time the GMC had issue with our degrees and suspended our registration status, I predicted it would be resolved shortly, and it was. No one bats 100%, certainly not me and certainly not you either, so we will see what happens.
http://www.mdparadise.com (http://www.mdparadise.com/)

"If there really is a God, He has a lot of explaining to do"
- Dennis Leary

Doesn't hurt at all. BTS has had more information than me on several occasions. The question is it is correct?

empathy
01-12-2006, 01:20 PM
Reread my post. I said I don't know the deans. We are no longer allowed to discuss my former friend. See Doc's post tacked at the top of the forum. If, you'd like to take this to another forum - I'd be happy to oblige. Don't pm me - I don't play that game.

http://www.valuemd.com/st-christophers-college-medicine/41927-chairman-md.html

Well, make up your mind. One day you're haranguing us with your extensive knowledge about how SC isn't chartered and then you come back and bash it for being chartered in a third world country.

I can't argue with your perspective of "Mr. L", one of the administrators for SC, as it appears you are, as you put it, an "ex-friend". But within the past 24 hours you have stated that you don't know anything about and have not met the other administrators. Yet, today you call them quacks. Whether it is your intention or not, you have portrayed yourself as a jilted lover intent on badmouthing her boyfriend's school. I doubt many people will give you much credence.

As for your naiveté about politics, frankly, I don't care. You clearly don't understand medical schools or you wouldn't allege that a medical school would affect malpractice claims.

While you're entitled to express an opinion, you would embarrass yourself less if you educated yourself better.

TAFKA
01-12-2006, 02:11 PM
edited to remove text

jpryor
01-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Reread my post. I said I don't know the deans. We are no longer allowed to discuss my former friend. See Doc's post tacked at the top of the forum. If, you'd like to take this to another forum - I'd be happy to oblige. Don't pm me - I don't play that game.

1. I have no interest in pming you.
2. Your former friend wasn't the topic of conversation.
3. I think you've been taking lessons in the art of deflection from Az.
4. Feel free to take your fatuousness elsewhere.

maximillian genossa
01-12-2006, 02:16 PM
Doesn't hurt at all. BTS has had more information than me on several occasions. The question is it is correct?

I suspect he can really have access to all those documents is that he is an employee of the school, and a very trusted one as well (just speculating) but, think about it, is there any other way he can have access to all this privileged information?

azskeptic
01-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I suspect he can really have access to all those documents is that he is an employee of the school, and a very trusted one as well (just speculating) but, think about it, is there any other way he can have access to all this privileged information?If he isn't an employee he has stepped over the boundary of student relating to administration then.

bts4202
01-12-2006, 02:35 PM
I really wish I was admin, I would do some things differently for sure. Not to mention that I waste enough time dealing with certain people that I should be paid for my suffering...lol. At least azskeptic allegedly gets paid by a caribb med school for his time (according to some people), that must make it worth it, right?

azskeptic
01-12-2006, 02:47 PM
I really wish I was admin, I would do some things differently for sure. Not to mention that I waste enough time dealing with certain people that I should be paid for my suffering...lol. At least azskeptic allegedly gets paid by a caribb med school for his time (according to some people), that must make it worth it, right? If you can find who I am working for, please mention that I would like to know who they are, and why haven't they paid me or contracted me? BTS, are you saying you get NO compensation or benefits from being the school's agent?

bts4202
01-12-2006, 02:56 PM
If you can find who I am working for, please mention that I would like to know who they are, and why haven't they paid me or contracted me? BTS, are you saying you get NO compensation or benefits from being the school's agent?

I get a whole lot for my actions... headaches, anxiety, insults, attacks, internet stalkers, and soooo much more. Its good being me!

PS: just so it doesn't look like I am avoiding your question, I get no compensation in any form for anything I do or have done. If you can find someone who will pay me then please let me know, I need it, I am broke!

studentMD
01-14-2006, 03:13 AM
I get a whole lot for my actions... headaches, anxiety, insults, attacks, internet stalkers, and soooo much more. Its good being me!

PS: just so it doesn't look like I am avoiding your question, I get no compensation in any form for anything I do or have done. If you can find someone who will pay me then please let me know, I need it, I am broke!

ull start residency in a few mths and finally get paid.. pretty exciting prospect ! nice to finally get that pay check ... but plan on bein broke for a few more yrs.. just not AS broke :)

bts4202
01-14-2006, 02:46 PM
ull start residency in a few mths and finally get paid.. pretty exciting prospect ! nice to finally get that pay check ... but plan on bein broke for a few more yrs.. just not AS broke :)

yeah, I can't wait for that. I may disappear from this board for a while soon though, cause during my last couple rotations it looks like I may need to get a night job at walmart...lol.

lithium6205
01-14-2006, 07:20 PM

So, Dana did he dump you is why you are so bitter?

bts4202
01-14-2006, 07:32 PM
So, Dana did he dump you is why you are so bitter?

oh, I was confused for a minute, I thought you were talking about ME... lol. I know the D you are talking about now. I think it is against TOS to use someones real name though. Plus, I know D fairly well and I am in contact with her on a semi-regular basis... I am not convinced that empathy is her.

AUCMD2006
01-14-2006, 08:23 PM
yeah, I can't wait for that. I may disappear from this board for a while soon though, cause during my last couple rotations it looks like I may need to get a night job at walmart...lol.

at elast if the gmc goes bad you can just go full time...sorry couldn't resist

microphage
01-14-2006, 10:49 PM

shows what you know... Walmart screws over a good majority of their employees and lets them only do part time shirt so they wouldn't have to pay their full time benefits.

AUCMD2006
01-14-2006, 10:55 PM
shows what you know... Walmart screws over a good majority of their employees and lets them only do part time shirt so they wouldn't have to pay their full time benefits.

my point exactly, he'd be so used to the management style the only thing missing would be the stethscope and prostate exams (the blue vest takes the place of the lab coat):evil:

bts4202
01-15-2006, 01:17 AM

man, that is poor taste. I tried to be lighthearted and be personable and you take a low blow.. pretty lame actually.

studentMD
01-15-2006, 01:57 PM

im in residency and i think i need to work parttime at walmart too lol
and we get paid 42.. uff its never enough and it never ends

AUCMD2006
01-15-2006, 02:16 PM
we know the thing isn't going against SC, you said all the papers are in order. it wasn't meant mean spirited just keeping it light.

usangel
01-15-2006, 11:53 PM
i was on my search for the college....n i saw a few positive comments and some negativez about SC. i read a post regarding GMC completely denying SC credits. moreover, one of my friends, who is currently a student of SC stopped attending her classes and she is planning on transfering. so i jus wanted to knw the actual truth. thanking everyone who would take their time to answer this question.

neilc
01-15-2006, 11:59 PM
as of this moment, the GMC is investigating st chris (in luton and in senegal). at this exact point in time, the GMC does not recognize the st chris degree for registration.

we will know more when the GMC finish the investigation. but, for the time being at least, it seems prudent to avoid the school until the GMC finish the investigation

Rabbitmed
01-17-2006, 02:42 PM
Hi,

I also applied to St.Chris for Sept 06, but I'm not sure what the whole deal is with the GMC:confused: I'm actually hearing about this for the first time, if someone could explain what's going on it would help.

I'm kinda lost:confused:

jpryor
01-17-2006, 03:38 PM
A medical school is required to be officially recognized by a country's government. The government must notify IMED that it will monitor the school to quality assure its operations/instructions. This process is madatory for any school wishing to send its students to the US to take the USMLE. There has been a question raised whether St. Christopher was offically chartered by the government of Senegal between 2000 and 2003. The school says that it was, we have heard through students that the government of Senegal says that it was, but we haven't heard from the GMC whether the issue is resolved or not.

Nobody here has any inside information nor are we capable of guessing any outcome. The only advice anybody can offer is to tread slowly and if you absolutely must decide your school right now you'd be wise to consider another school until this is resolved. If you really like this school and have the time, just wait to see what the official outcome will be.

OLDPRO
01-17-2006, 04:27 PM
Hi,

I also applied to St.Chris for Sept 06, but I'm not sure what the whole deal is with the GMC:confused: I'm actually hearing about this for the first time, if someone could explain what's going on it would help.

I'm kinda lost:confused:

Read through all the info here go to the GMC (General Medical Council web site for the UK) call the school and do the research. This is much too much a descision to have posters here decide decide after you have done your own research. (BTW I do not attend this school). ;)

azskeptic
01-17-2006, 04:37 PM
Read through all the info here go to the GMC (General Medical Council web site for the UK) call the school and do the research. This is much too much a descision to have posters here decide decide after you have done your own research. (BTW I do not attend this school). ;) you can contact the gmc at

[email protected] ([email protected]) to ask the current status for yourself.

jpryor
01-18-2006, 02:26 PM
Buried in this document
http://www.dh.gov.uk/assetRoot/04/12/38/25/04123825.pdf
is a possible explanation about the delay in making a decision about SC. The GMC has requested consults from the UK medical community on numerous different matters. One of the recommendations being made by the GMC is shifting the responsibility of determining a foreign trained physician's credentials to the Registrar versus the GMC (as well as any determinations relevant to misrepresentation). The GMC has asked for all responses to be made by January 31.

It is worth noting that this consultation request specifically states that there is an intent to facilitate the licensing of foreign trained physicians (who currently make up 40% of the UK medical community) and that the limited registration license will potentially be abandoned due to adequate safeguards being in place.

I won't speculate whether this means anything positive for SC, but I do think it offers a reasonable explanation for why there hasn't been an answer yet from the GMC.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.