PDA

View Full Version : Transfer???

fast12
12-25-2005, 03:03 AM
Anyone thinking of tranferring out of SCCM?? I am thinking about it, and just want to know if anyone has any information on what Medical Schools accept our credits and what not. I beleive SMU does. Also anyone know how long it takes for us to get our official transcript from the NJ office?? I mean getting the unofficial transcript in Luton took more than a month. Plus will we get our tuition back. I mean I have already paid for next semesters tuition. Thanks for any input ;)

OLDPRO
12-25-2005, 05:23 AM
I really don't know of many and is this GMC doesn't work out well......
SMU Might, St. James Might, I really can't tell you, you will have to find out?

amyames
12-25-2005, 05:18 PM
Anyone thinking of tranferring out of SCCM?? I am thinking about it, and just want to know if anyone has any information on what Medical Schools accept our credits and what not. I beleive SMU does. Also anyone know how long it takes for us to get our official transcript from the NJ office?? I mean getting the unofficial transcript in Luton took more than a month. Plus will we get our tuition back. I mean I have already paid for next semesters tuition. Thanks for any input ;)

I know that schools with Cali approval will not take St. Chris transfers (that what I was told by Saba and AUC at least), but since St. Matts is not a Cali approved school (yet) then I think you have a chance of transfering there.

that said, however, just call the various schools and see what they say. You'll get better information from then rather than on valuemd. I would check w/ St. Matts first and then other non-cali approved school before you re-check with the Cali approved schools.

good luck w/ your transfer research. I hope everything works out for...whatever you decide and wherever you end up.

empathy
12-25-2005, 05:53 PM
you might just want to take a semester off - everything will change soon

I know that schools with Cali approval will not take St. Chris transfers (that what I was told by Saba and AUC at least), but since St. Matts is not a Cali approved school (yet) then I think you have a chance of transfering there.

that said, however, just call the various schools and see what they say. You'll get better information from then rather than on valuemd. I would check w/ St. Matts first and then other non-cali approved school before you re-check with the Cali approved schools.

good luck w/ your transfer research. I hope everything works out for...whatever you decide and wherever you end up.

butters
12-25-2005, 06:17 PM
i think once u pass the boards, the cali schools will consider u.

anencephalic
12-25-2005, 07:48 PM
i think once u pass the boards, the cali schools will consider u.

No, I doubt it. I would also wonder about whether SCCM's transfer student's credits will be called to the attention of the licensing boards of whatever state they desire to be practice in. For now, only time will tell. For all of the students' sake, I hope it works out.

Aloha,

orangecrush
12-25-2005, 09:19 PM
I am currently rotating with a student who went to Kigezi and subsequently transferred to Ross after the huge fiasco that took place with Kigezi. I think it is a case by case issue. One should not jump ship until all the cards are down though.

empathy
12-26-2005, 10:00 AM
The jury is still out on St. Chris so my comment below is not directed at them.

I checked into this. If a school closes and they find that it was not legit then their credits are no good. Students have to go back and repeat them. If a doctor has the misfortune of having a degree from a school like this then their degree is 'no good' and thus they lose their job. US States audit hospitals all the time to weed out such individuals.

fast12
12-26-2005, 10:26 AM

I checked into this. If a school closes and they find that it was not legit then their credits are no good. Students have to go back and repeat them. If a doctor has the misfortune of having a degree from a school like this then their degree is 'no good' and thus they lose their job. US States audit hospitals all the time to weed out individuals who hold degrees from diploma mills and those individuals are questioned and fired.

Wow, now that is some scary stuff. I was thinking that by transfering I would save myself. So you are saying even graduates are not going to have valid MD degrees?? Even if they have passed the USMLE and are legit Doctors???

fast12
12-26-2005, 10:28 AM
On another note....
I was seriously considering applying to SMU. I just finished my 4th semester at SCCM. I don't think going on to 5th semester in Ohio would be too advantageous. SCCM has no ties to Cleveland Clinic anymore. ICM and PD are going to be taught by Dr Neil ******, and some other SCCM graduate who is waiting for residency matches, and these classes will be taught at some chiropractic school. Now if I transfer to SMU right now, first off do you know if I will be placed in the Maine campus?? Also what classes will they make me take??? Because in their curriculum they have a class called Patient-Doctor Skills, class the SCCM does not have. I wonder if SMU will make me take that class. I tried calling them last week, but I didnt get to talk to anyone. They just gave ma a run around.
anyone have any information??

empathy
12-26-2005, 11:14 AM
I'm sure you will find SMU very helpful.

Students know more about the outcome of the investigation then anyone because they know the SC Admin. If the men who run and own the school have a reputation for honesty and you feel they have been running on the up and up then feel free to trans anywhere because you know the investigation will turn out alright. If not, take a semester off. A school is only as good as its administration. You can predict the school's future by looking at their credentials, reputations, and the decisions they make on a day to day basis.

On another note....
I was seriously considering applying to SMU. I just finished my 4th semester at SCCM. I don't think going on to 5th semester in Ohio would be too advantageous. SCCM has no ties to Cleveland Clinic anymore. ICM and PD are going to be taught by Dr Neil ******, and some other SCCM graduate who is waiting for residency matches, and these classes will be taught at some chiropractic school. Now if I transfer to SMU right now, first off do you know if I will be placed in the Maine campus?? Also what classes will they make me take??? Because in their curriculum they have a class called Patient-Doctor Skills, class the SCCM does not have. I wonder if SMU will make me take that class. I tried calling them last week, but I didnt get to talk to anyone. They just gave ma a run around.

fast12
12-26-2005, 01:29 PM
I'm sure you will find SMU very helpful.

Students know more about the outcome of the investigation then anyone because they know the SC Admin. If the men who run and own the school have a reputation for honesty and you feel they have been running on the up and up then feel free to trans anywhere because you know the investigation will turn out alright. If not, take a semester off. A school is only as good as its administration. You can predict the school's future by looking at their credentials, reputations, and the decisions they make on a day to day basis.

My personal opinion is that SCCM admin are not too honest. Dr. F [*edited for names] Let go of, mean while, he will be teaching in Cleveland. We are not going to have any classes at Cleveland Clinic because there was no occupancy licence, or was it because of the negative image Cleveland Clinic would have due to the GMC investigation on SCCM?? At this point I personally don't trust anyone who works at SCCM. All we get is lies and more lies!:cry:

empathy
12-26-2005, 04:22 PM
So, unfortunately that tells you their future. Anything built on lies WILL NOT stand. God will only let a liar get away with it for so long and then....OLE BOY!

Many students have said to us, "the teachers are good people" but remember they just work there - you guys need to find out about the administration. They do the course schedules, set up the classrooms, and hire the staff. Listen to the BBC Five Live Report - Quack Qualifications - St. Chris has no outside body overseeing their decisions. The administration calls ALL the shots and ultimately it will be the decisions they have made that will determine the future of SC and all of its graduates.

You have placed your future in this administrations hands. If they are good people then your future is sure...if not, then....OLE BOY!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/fivelivereport.shtml

My personal opinion is that SCCM admin are not too honest. Dr. F [*edited for names] Let go of, mean while, he will be teaching in Cleveland. We are not going to have any classes at Cleveland Clinic because there was no occupancy licence, or was it because of the negative image Cleveland Clinic would have due to the GMC investigation on SCCM?? At this point I personally don't trust anyone who works at SCCM. All we get is lies and more lies!:cry:

maximillian genossa
12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
"US States audit hospitals all the time to weed out individuals who hold degrees from diploma mills and those individuals are questioned and fired."

Very true, however, St. Chris as far as I have checked out is not a diploma mill. There were cases back in the mid 1980's, late 1980's of the Diploma Scandal from Dominican Republic, then the Russian scandal.

I do know personally a doctor that passed all his USMLE's, got licensed etc (graduated from one of the Dominican Republic schools shut down by the scandal) who went to the law firm I used to work for to try to keep his license. Unfortunately there was nothing that could be done.

On a separate note, I would really hate and I would stay away from even insinuating that St. Chris is a diploma mill, such a mischaracterization has defamation written all over its face.

Lets chill out and see what the flip floppers at the GMC decide.

Max

I checked into this. If a school closes and they find that it was not legit then their credits are no good. Students have to go back and repeat them. If a doctor has the misfortune of having a degree from a school like this then their degree is 'no good' and thus they lose their job. US States audit hospitals all the time to weed out individuals who hold degrees from diploma mills and those individuals are questioned and fired.

empathy
12-26-2005, 06:07 PM
Please read my opening statement. I edited my post for you. Did not mean to offend. Please do not refer to the GMC as flip floppers. I'm sure they just didn't want to ruin everyones Christmas.

[email protected] ([email protected])

http://www.gmc-uk.org/education/undergraduate/studying_medicine_at_undergraduate_level.asp

http://www.osac.state.or.us/oda/unaccredited.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/fivelive/programmes/fivelivereport.shtml ([email protected])

handsomeroses100
01-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Every One,if St Christopher Is To Be Respected Andrecognised They Should Help Ex-kigezi Students Like Abraham Who Needs Scholarship To Go To School.this Boy Story Was Published By The Cambridge Evening News Paper But St Chris Directors Alain **** And Co Pretends As If They Dont See That Publication.they Want Everyone To Pay Tuition But No Scholarship.the Senegal Campus Is Shit.a Doctor Contacted Them To Help This Boy But They Told Her The Scholarship Scheme Is Not For Ex-kigezi Students.have They Given Any Students Scholarship In The Past?alain **** And Co Help Abraham And The Students From Uganda.ok.

stephew
03-16-2006, 12:44 PM
Its come to my attention that folks thinking of transfer from st. chris should be careful; There is a chance that they will be unlicensible at the end of the day, at least in states like California. If trasnfering, seriously consider starting over; some schools will offer scholarship for those accepted in caribbean for instance, but not advanced standing (ie you dont pay more money, just more time). The issue apparently is that if a state does not recognize a school, they will not recognize the credits NO MATTER who decides to pick up the credits (ie no repeated stuff from recognized schools). Im told sgu once gave one year of credit to Kigezi students who transfered and when they graduated, CA made them come back to SGU and re-do the first year of medicine if they wanted to be licensed! This is info passed onto me and as always its up to you to evaluate these issues completely for yourself before making any decisions. I apologize if any of this info is incorrect but you should know the questions that you should ask as you look into your plans. All the best,

orangecrush
03-27-2006, 02:47 PM
Has anyone heard of UK schools offering to take St. Christopher's students?

What about Irish schools?

Sara123456
03-28-2006, 02:15 PM
hey,

I just wanted to point out that no one that transferred into SGU from Kigezi was given advanced standing and that none of those transfers have graduated yet....................so hence, none of them have had any liscensure issues.

thanks!

desai29
04-02-2006, 06:09 AM
UK Medical schools would not allow any International student since they are under NHS

empathy
04-02-2006, 09:26 AM
They are the best ones to talk to about this.

sheikh1
04-02-2006, 09:52 AM
Call the appropriate authority, not random people, they will mislead you!!!

asdfjkl06
04-04-2006, 07:35 PM
I am currently a 3rd year student at St. Christopher's

I am looking to transfer and I have a few Questions:

Which would be worse (more likely to bar me from getting any residency interviews or spots):

To have taken and Passed Step 1 prior to starting the school that you have obtained your MD from

or

To transfer into a clinical program at another school with my basic sciences done at St. Christopher's

empathy
04-04-2006, 08:10 PM
Call Oregon and ask if the credits you rec'd from St. Chris are any good. We know St. Chris Luton never had the authority to grant degrees. It's unsure whether or not they had the right to give credits for medical courses. The school was never recognized by anyone.

No Senegalese school issuing degrees under this name exists as of March, 2006.

hydatiform
04-04-2006, 08:37 PM
I don't understand what this means... can you please explain/elaborate from your own understanding, empathy?

Call Oregon and ask if the credits you rec'd from St. Chris are any good. We know St. Chris Luton never had the authority to grant degrees. It's unsure whether or not they had the right to give credits for medical courses. The school was never recognized by anyone.

No Senegalese school issuing degrees under this name exists as of March, 2006.

Picard
04-04-2006, 08:47 PM
I think the current SC situation is too complicated, and will create problems down the road for current students even if everything is sorted out. Here are some of the questions I've heard people raised --

1) The split. It's entirely unclear how this will be treated. Some argue that since Senegal issues the charter, the "bloodline" stays with Senegal's new campus (if there is one). Some argue that since "St. Christopher" existed before the parent university in Senegal, this is where the true "bloodline" lies. So, doesn't matter which side you choose to continue with, there will be licensing boards that think you have "transferred" to the new entity, which creates a need for two sets of transcripts -- may be a headache at that point if the two sides dont' get along at that time, or if one side goes under. Arguments from both sides as to "who holds the bloodline" are both interesting, and it's unclear how medical boards will see it down the line. BTW, medical boards are known to disagree with ECFMG's judgement as well, so which way ECFMG leans means little when it comes to licensure.

2) Future of "squatting" in UK -- while foreign schools are technically allowed to operate in UK as a private business, I think this practice has a very bleak future. Recent negative publicity may very welll lead to legislative changes if any of the squatter schools try to re-invent itself in UK. SC was probably the last remaining functional squatter before the GMC disapproval.

3) Overall big picture of licensure -- Offshore IMG's have come under increasing scrutiny in recent years. Many of the previously "easy" states are now taking second looks at their licensing laws to more tightly regulate IMG"s. TN recently went with the California list. NV has taken similar stance (short of coming out to say "California list") -- both states were relatively easy just a year ago. Offshore IMG "quality control" seems to be a hot topic among the boards now. Current students need to set your sights in the long run -- 5 to 10 years from now when you will be starting your practice and seeking licensure in various states. It will only get tougher... so it stands to reason that you need to give yourself the largest leeway possible in choosing your schools now.

4) As for starting over vs transfer credits -- licensure and acceptance of SC credits by medical boards aside, you need to ask yourself this very basic question -- if you need to rely on any of the course work you have done at SC for licensure, you will need official transcripts from SC come licensure time -- will there be anyone from the correct side (L vs Senegal, depending on how the particular licensing boards views are) to issue you the transcript 5 or 10 years from now?

My personal opinion -- if you choose to leave, start over fresh. 2 to 3 years of extra work now is worthwhile when comparing to headaches that may follow you through your career.

P

empathy
04-04-2006, 08:48 PM
It's best at this point if you guys call Oregon, the GMC or your state licensing boards. You need to seek the advice of an authority of which I am not.

Please help others by sharing your experience with Quackwatch.

Quackwatch Home Page (http://www.quackwatch.org/index.html)

How to Report a Fraud to Quackwatch

S*, M.D.

If you have been victimized, reporting your experience to us may enable us to help you or help protect others. All information sent to us will be held in strict confidence if that is your wish. However, it is far more useful for us to be able to share that information within our anti-quackery network, bring it to the attention of a law-enforcement agency, or post it so other can learn from your experience. To report to us, please send the following information to [email protected] ([email protected]).

To Report a Personal Experience

Include your name, age, address, work and home telephone numbers.
Provide a detailed account of what happened to you that includes:
Dates or approximate dates that the events occurred
Name and location of perpetrator
Pertinent health history, including problem for which you sought help
What would you like us to do with the information?

Post your story to one of our sites. That usually requires inclusion of your name.
Forward your story to a regulatory agency
Try to help you recover money
Help you file a lawsuit
Give your name to a reporter who might want to interview you
Quackwatch Home Page (http://www.quackwatch.org/index.html) ||| Fighting Quackery: Tips for Activists (http://www.quackwatch.org/07PoliticalActivities/antiquackery.html)

dt
04-04-2006, 09:41 PM
Hi Picard,

What's your opinion regarding starting over and the need to complete all 3 steps within 7 years?

How would taking longer than 7 years (if get rewrite of step 1) affect licensure?

dt

Picard
04-04-2006, 10:48 PM
I think for MS-3's who took Step I just over a year ago, they are probably OK because they will be able to complete all 3 Steps in 5 to 6 years if they start over, as long as they register and take Step III with a state that allows Step III right after graduation. This is to assume that rules about when you can take step III in these states don't change in the next few years. MS-3's have some wiggle rooms here if something goes wrong and they are delayed for a year or so.

Current MS-4's are in a tougher spot. If they start over, they will be looking at taking Step III in the 6th year (at the earliest) after passing Step I, assuming they took Step I about 2 years ago. They have very little, if any, wiggle room if something goes wrong (having to sit out a year, not graduating in time, waiting for paperwork... etc). They will need to be able to re-start in MS-1 this fall in order to make the deadline.

As far as I know, you cannot re-take Step I and "reset" the clock once you pass it. Not all states have the 7-year rule. Those that do, some have room to negociate. Again, this is just another piece fo the puzzle/hurdle facing SC students now.

P

dt
04-04-2006, 11:44 PM
Thanks Picard. I was hoping there could be a "reset".

fyi for all: here is a chart for all the states... it also tells you how much post-grad training is needed.

http://www.fsmb.org/usmle_eliinitial.html

pamu30
04-05-2006, 06:05 AM
Time Limit and Number of Attempts Allowed to Complete All Steps
Although there is no limit on the total number of times you can retake a Step or Step Component you have not passed, the USMLE program recommends to medical licensing authorities that they:

require the dates of passing the Step 1, Step 2, and Step 3 examinations to occur within a seven-year period; and
allow no more than six attempts to pass each Step or Step Component without demonstration of additional educational experience acceptable to the medical licensing authority.For purposes of medical licensure in the United States, any time limit to complete the USMLE is established by the state medical boards. Most, but not all, use the recommended seven years as the time limit for completion of the full USMLE sequence. While medical schools may require students to pass one or more Steps for advancement and/or graduation, you should understand the implications for licensure. For states that establish a time limit for completion of all three Steps, the "clock" starts running on the date the first Step or Step Component is passed or, in some cases, on the date of the first attempt at any Step. General information regarding state-specific requirements for licensure can be obtained from the FSMB (http://www.fsmb.org/). For definitive information, you should contact directly the licensing authority in the jurisdiction in which you intend to seek licensure.

Retakes
If you fail or do not complete a Step or Step Component and want to retake it, you must reapply by submitting a new application and fee.

You may take the failed or incomplete Step or Step Component no more than three times within a 12-month period.
No Step or Step Component may be taken sooner than 60 days after your previous test date.
For Step 1 and Step 2 CK: You may retake the examination no earlier than the first day of the month that begins at least 60 days after your previous test date.
For Step 2 CS and Step 3: Your eligibility period for the retake will begin no earlier than 60 days after the date of your prior attempt.
For Step 3: You may not reapply sooner than 60 days after your last attempt.Note: Click here (http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/2006/applying.htm#ep) to go to the section where eligibility periods are explained. To apply for the USMLE, you must contact the appropriate registration entity (http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/2006/communicating.htm).
If you pass a Step or Step Component, you are not allowed to retake it, except to comply with the time limit of a medical licensing authority for the completion of all Steps or a requirement imposed by another authority recognized by the USMLE program for this purpose. The medical licensing or other authority must provide information indicating that you are applying to retake the passed Step or Step Component in order to comply with its requirement. If you are repeating a Step or Step Component because of a time limit, you may apply to retake the examination only after the applicable time limit has expired.
An exception to the policy of requiring the time limit to expire before applying to retake a previously passed Step or Step Component can be granted if, at the time of application and testing:

you are currently enrolled in an LCME- or AOA- accredited medical school program leading to the MD or DO degree;
you have previously passed Step 1 and/or Step 2 but have not passed Step 3;
you are expected to graduate from the medical school program six or more years after the date you first passed Step 1 and/or Step 2; and
you are otherwise eligible to retake the examination.The number of attempts allowed to pass each Step or Step Component and the time allowed to complete all Steps vary among jurisdictions. To obtain specific information, you should contact the medical licensing authority in the jurisdiction where you intend to apply for medical licensure or the FSMB.
Click here (http://www.usmle.org/bulletin/2006/communicating.htm) for information on how to contact the FSMB and medical licensing authorities.

Official Performance of Record for Examinees Retaking a Previously Passed Step
In order for an individual to meet the examination requirements for Step 3 eligibility, a passing performance must be achieved on the most recent administration of the examinations intended to meet those requirements.
Individuals who have not yet passed Step 3 and who wish to retake a previously passed Step 1 or Step 2 examination in order to meet a time limit imposed by a medical licensing or other recognized authority should understand the implications for Step 3 eligibility of a failing performance on a retake. Specifically, if a failing performance on a retake is the most recent administration of that examination, that failing score will preclude Step 3 eligibility.

dt
04-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Take a look at this thread:
http://www.valuemd.com/state-medical-licensing-information/109498-texas-board-medicine-february-2006-meeting-notes.html

Look what happened to applicant #446. This was this Feb 2006 in Texas.

Also note that if a school is placed on a disapproved list of other states, it becomes one of the factors to prevent licensure. In this St. Chris case, its Oregon.

asdfjkl06
04-05-2006, 10:26 AM
Thanks for your answers

I registered to write Step1 with St. Chris. I passed it about 6 months ago. So I know its unlikely I can re-write Step1 it because of the 7 year rule. What I was wondering was this:

Would having taken Step 1 prior to completing Basic Science credits at a new school have a negative effect on my application for Residency and Licensure.

pamu30
04-05-2006, 10:27 AM
Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Andes
04-14-2006, 03:57 PM
I personally called the state of Florida, Illinois and NY and they said if u are still in med school it's okay to transfer. Make sure u have an offical transcript, and a letter of recommendation saying that u left in good standing and were not expelled.
If someone works in one place and then gets a new job, and his/her old work place goes out of business that doesn't mean he/she doesn't have the work experience at their old place of work. That's becasue it was accredited at the time. This is the same idea with transferring out of schools.
If the school says u have to repeat everything again that is the school's policy and has nothing to do with the state boards. I hope that helped, and if u don't believe me call them to make sure.

rokshana
04-14-2006, 04:16 PM
I personally called the state of Florida, Illinois and NY and they said if u are still in med school it's okay to transfer. Make sure u have an offical transcript, and a letter of recommendation saying that u left in good standing and were not expelled.
If someone works in one place and then gets a new job, and his/her old work place goes out of business that doesn't mean he/she doesn't have the work experience at their old place of work. That's becasue it was accredited at the time. This is the same idea with transferring out of schools.
If the school says u have to repeat everything again that is the school's policy and has nothing to do with the state boards. I hope that helped, and if u don't believe me call them to make sure.

are you talking about transfer to a US school or transfer from one foreign school to another- the rules are different.

Andes
04-14-2006, 04:46 PM
For me personally I'm talking about one foreign school to another, I didn't ask about a US school

Picard
04-14-2006, 08:03 PM
Problems are, nobody knows exactly what will come out of this SC fiasco. It is very debatable how state boards will eventually treat credits earned under Mr. L's school, and whether or not state boards will believe that SC-Luton indeed did have an bona fide charter from Senegal -- or if state boards will think SC-Luton was a de facto independent entity -- especially with the blanket statement by GMC. In addition, official transcripts now will not do you ANY GOOD come licensure time. You will need official transcripts AT THE TIME YOU APPLY FOR LICENSURE 5 TO 8 YEARS FROM NOW. No, your new school cannot be the keeper of your old school's transcripts. Now, will there be anyone left in SC in official capacity to send transcripts for you to FCVS and state boards in 5 to 10 years? And which SC will the boards require? Will Mr. L and company be around to issue you transcripts 5 to 8 years from now if that's the SC (instead of the Senegal reincarnation, if any) the state boards (all 50+ separate ones) or FCVS want to hear from?

As for talking to FL/NY/IL boards -- whoever you talk to may or may not be aware of what is going on with SC. In addition, what the policies are today may not (and most likely will NOT) be the policy when the dust is settled and when you need licensure 5 years from now -- this goes for every new school out there without any sort of external approval such as NY or CA. More and more states are adopting the CA list... People who attended unapproved schools last year were told TN/NV were "OK." Well, they are not OK now this year. Those who started last year in newer schools banking on TN or NV just received a rude awakening.

Also, last I looked there are 50 state boards + DC + PR + territories. All with their own rules. 3 out of 50+ is not "OK with medical boards."

P

Andes
04-14-2006, 09:31 PM
Why is a professor responding to a med students posting? Why are all the sites below police officer sites? and my transcript now will look the same five years from now, especially if I have transferred out. And you need ur offical transcript to transfer out anyway.
Also I called the states I was interested in, if u want u can call all fifty states.

Picard
04-14-2006, 11:45 PM
Why is a professor responding to a med students posting? Why are all the sites below police officer sites? and my transcript now will look the same five years from now, especially if I have transferred out. And you need ur offical transcript to transfer out anyway.
Also I called the states I was interested in, if u want u can call all fifty states.

Since you are relatively new, I will suggest that you spend a bit more time reading through the forums and learn a bit more history. There are many of us here who are IMG's and have been through the IMG games over the past decade or two. All of our "predictions" about SC's current problems over the past few years have more or less come true. We have seen the up's and down's of IMG licensure game, and we are merely offering our educated opinions. Many of us on this board (ie teratos, flk, stephw... etc just to name a few) are practicing IMG's who have been through the game. Many of us, myself included, are also faculty members now in US medical schools, and attend licensing-related meetings at all levels on a regular basis. The orignial poster is an IMG who is now a faculty at Harvard. We have seen it all. We have seen licensing laws change over the past decade or two. And our experiences tell us that relying on any credits from SC at this time, especially when you are still 3+ years or more away from licensing, is a very, very risky thing to do. Licensing boards will give you the stock answer until someone actually applies with your situation. FSMB/state boards are getting tougher every year. TN was an easy state up until this year. Many are on the verge of following. They just won't tell you until they institute them.

As for needing official transcripts from SC -- have you called FSMB's FCVS?? Of the three states you listed, NY requires IMG"s to go through FSMB's FCVS for credentialling. IL may require it soon, if not already does. FL goes through your record with a fine tooth comb, and has given many graduates from established schools headaches in paperwork. YOU WILL ABSOLUTELY NEED OFFICIAL TRANSCRIPTS SENT DIRECTLY FROM OFFICIAL SC SOURCE when you apply for licensure!!! Whatever official copies you have now may as well be toilet papers when you apply for licensure. They will NOT accept SC transcripts from you or from your new school. If you don't believe it, call FCVS. The odds are, whichever state you apply to will require FCVS. And FCVS has a very lengthy process in verifying documents from official sources. FCVS will NOT even accept my med school transcript from California Medical Board when I tried to establish a file. (CMB did not require FCVS when I got my license). FCVS policy is very, very strict that it must come directly from medical school. AND NO, YOUR NEW SCHOOL CANNOT send SC's transcript on your behalf to FCVS. If SC closes down before you apply for licensure, you are SOL. Seen it happen before with other schools.

As for police references -- I wore a badge in another life time ago, and still have strong family ties in law enforcement. And, the references are not just police references if you look carefully....

P

p.s.
Also I called the states I was interested in,
So did many folks from TN/NV who called TN/NV boards last year and were told their schools (new, no external approvals) were OK. Boy, were they surprised this year when TN went with the CA list and NV came just short of saying so officially. Set your sights 5 to 10 years from now. Look at the trends...

stephew
04-15-2006, 11:18 AM
hey,

I just wanted to point out that no one that transferred into SGU from Kigezi was given advanced standing and that none of those transfers have graduated yet....................so hence, none of them have had any liscensure issues.

thanks!not true. There was one who did a while back; come licensure, they couldnt get a license because they transfered with advanced standing. So they had to go back to SGU to redo year one so he could get a license. The dean of admission and I had a talk about this issue hence the whole no advanced standing policy for transfer.

Also, andes please be aware, picard is right; you are new here and you should learn a bit more about the history before you jump into the attack mode. terms of use regarding flamming aside (please read them), many users here are grads of IMG schools and are knowledgeable about the system. Whatever they put in their sig tends to be aof a personal nature (hence a personal signature). Finally, please keep this thread on topic.

Andes
04-17-2006, 03:43 AM
I investigated the FCVS and ur right I'm sorry. It's just this situation doesn't even sound real.
Anyway here is my situation I'd like ur opinion on this. I got accepted into fifth semester into another school that is approved externally by NY and Florida, unfortunatly not California. They accepted me into fifth semester becasue of my board score, doesn't that count for anything?
If u were in my situation would u go to fifth semester or first semester and get st. chris completely out of ur record?

Your response would be much appreciated.

Skipper
04-17-2006, 08:13 AM
it is a gamble---if you go into 5th and then finish clinicals and finish residency and then cannot get licensed it would suck---

i would do alot research first before choosing your path

skipper

Andes
04-17-2006, 11:52 AM
I did do my research and no one really knows.
The board is saying they'll take it as a transfer, but the fmbs is gonna go back to st. chris and try to get my records.
If I go for licensure and they tell me go back and do semesters 1-4, can I go back and do it and reapply? is there a limitied number of times u can apply for licensure? is licensure once a year, or can u apply any time?

Andes
04-17-2006, 02:07 PM
I called the fcvs and this is what they said,

when applying for licensure they do go back to ur original school and try to get the documents. Even if a school goes bankrupt the records are usually perserved. However if they can not find the records for what ever reason they go to the school u transferred to and get the documents that u sent them.

and I quote "it shouldn't be a problem in the end"

Anyone have an opinion about that?

teratos
04-17-2006, 02:33 PM
Depends on the issues surrounding your first school, I would imagine. IF the school was closed because of fraud, or it was found to be a scam, then you may have a problem. it is hard to predict what will happen in the future. It may be that everything is fine. I don't think you can get any good answers at this point. G

Andes
04-17-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm just gonna transfer out. Worst thing that happens is I have to go back and do semesters 1-4 in my new school. What's an extra year on top of 6-8 years.

Thank u everyone for ur advice, especially Picard.

Picard
04-17-2006, 09:18 PM
I am going to assume that you did your Step I already. So your 7-year clock is ticking. Now, if you run into trouble at the state board level BEFORE you are allowed to take Step III and a year or two after you graduate -- you may have a problem with the 7-year rule -- meaning completing all your steps in 7 years. This will give you problems in licensure most of the states. Now, if you have to go back and re-do 1-4 semester after you supposedly finishd school and started residency -- that will raise a huge red flag with every single medical board out there. Your application will be scrutined to no end. Not something you want to have happen.

Again, this is a personal decision that no one else can make for you. If I were you, I'd ask my new school if I can just start over from Day One now, and get it over with. This way, you can start from fresh Day One, and forget St. Chris ever happened -- much, much less headache down the road. Otherwise, you will kick yourself 3 to 4 years from now for not doing so. This way, you will also assure yourself that you stay within the 7-year rule.

However if they can not find the records for what ever reason they go to the school u transferred to and get the documents that u sent them.
and I quote "it shouldn't be a problem in the end"

FCVS does not make licensing decisions. They are a credential verification entity. If they are unable to obtain/verify your SC transcript and end up getting SC records from your new school, FCVS will faithfully report this in your profile they send to medical boards. This means, your FCVS profile will have a red flag in it, flagging FCVS's inability to verify SC record from original source. It will be up to the medical boards as to how they treat this information. Some medical boards may brush it off, some may not. Like Teratos says, it may depend on what eventually happens to SC. If SC closes under suspicious circumstances, many medical boards may not accept any coursework from SC, regardless of what your new school does.

P

Andes
04-17-2006, 11:41 PM
I have taken my step 1. I am a Canadian citizen so I have to take step 3 before my residency, therefore I will meet the 7 year requirement, and hopefully even the 5 year requirement for Michigan. If I start fresh things will be tight. Furthermore, I don't want to do semester 1-4 unless I absoultely have to.

Picard
04-18-2006, 06:40 AM
Two other things to consider -- again, I'm not trying to "talk you into doing anything" at this time.

First -- Good to hear that you will be taking Step III before residency. Let's assume that FSMB and the state sponsoring your Step III (you don't apply through ECFMG for Step III) is OK with your SC course work -- most likely they will because most states only ask for your final diploma to sit for Step III. Now, keep in mind that you will not be applying for licensure until sometime in your residency -- most likely after your PGY-I or PGY-II year. Some states require licensure of some sort (training or permenent) before progressing onto PGY-II or PGY-III. Some states require licensure before completing residency. Some residency programs require licensure to graduate. Some specialty boards require licensure to sit for the final board exam. Now, if you run into licensure problems halfway through your residency, you may need to quit residency to go back and re-do your 1-4 semester. Once you quit residency, there is no guarantee that you will get back into your program, or any program for that matter.

Second -- will your new school cooperate and let you go back and sit for semester 1 to 4 once you have graduated? This is something I'd ask the new school IN WRITING before you committ to it. What if your new school brushes you off and won't allow you to go back and re-do 1-4 semester after you have graduated, and you need to for licensure? I'd look into it now and get the school's answer IN WRITING just in case.

Not trying to discourage you. But you are putting yourself in alot of "what if's" down the line by not starting over. You just need one of those "what if's" to come true to ruin your career. Being a Canadian, you are already behind the 8-ball when it comes to residency. Why limit yourself further? Why make yourself a even less attractive candidate to residency programs by having avoidable uncertainties?

P

Andes
04-18-2006, 12:31 PM
After step 3 can I go back and do semester 1-4 before residency? Will there be any problems there? My goal now is to meet the 7 year rule. I'll definately get it in writting, thank u.

solideliquid
04-18-2006, 12:58 PM
After step 3 can I go back and do semester 1-4 before residency? Will there be any problems there? My goal now is to meet the 7 year rule. I'll definately get it in writting, thank u.
What I think Jean-Luc is trying to explain to you is, even though you can do Step 3 before residency, the problem(s) will occur when you apply for a license. You will only be able to do that once you have at least completed PGY-1 (some or more in some states).

So in essence you won't find out which medical boards have a problem with your transfer situation until you are neck deep in residency and if you leave your program to complete semesters 1-4 you may not be able to return to that program, aka go through the match process again.

EDIT: Let me also add that you need to have graduated med school to sit for step 3 (as far as I know), and once you have an MD from SMU I don't see why they would then let you repeat Semesters 1-4.

Andes
04-19-2006, 05:16 PM
I got accepted to start over in Saba!!!!!
For the seven year rule, I currently have six years to write step 2 & 3. (6-4 = 2 years to write step 2 & 3 assuming I don't write step 2 in clinicals)
I got all 50 states!!!!!!!!

amyames
04-19-2006, 05:28 PM
I got accepted to start over in Saba!!!!!
For the seven year rule, I currently have six years to write step 2 & 3. (6-4 = 2 years to write step 2 & 3 assuming I don't write step 2 in clinicals)
I got all 50 states!!!!!!!!

congrats on starting on over at Saba! I think you have a made a wise decision. I will be starting this May...when are you starting over?

Thanks Picard and everyone for the detailed information regarding licensure. I used to think once I got to residency I would have nothing to worry about, but your posts emphasize, and rightly so, the importance of knowing each state's rule for getting licensed. It's been an eye opener. thanks again and keep up the good work.

Andes
04-19-2006, 06:50 PM
In May as well, hopefully we'll meet up

amyames
04-19-2006, 08:13 PM
In May as well, hopefully we'll meet up

sure thing! I'm in Hillside quad 1. PM me if you have any questions. sorry to go off topic!

IndianSClink
04-20-2006, 01:01 AM
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;

Andes
04-20-2006, 01:17 AM
saba does offer clinical transfer but I wouldn't go for it. The rules are

1. Over 200 on ur boards (which I had)
2. No cores in saba hospitals, u have to find ur own (try phoning a hospital and saying u want book a core outside of ur school, why?)
3. Trasfer into 4th semester and do 42 weeks of elective

After doing this there is still no guarentee of licensure, because u still have st. chris on ur record.

I didn't apply to st. george too expensive especially after money spent on st. chris. Saba is $7,000 a semester and has all 50 states.

Picard
04-20-2006, 09:51 PM
Andes,
Best luck to you.
Congratulations on your acceptance to SABA.

P

Andes
04-20-2006, 10:09 PM
Thank u, I appreciated ur advice

pruritis_ani
04-20-2006, 10:38 PM
Congrats to all who have moved on to better things...it pleases me greatly to see people realize that the short term means little if the long term suffers.

Sorry you have to repeat some time, but I strongly feel that it will not be something you regret.

All the best at your new school(s), to all the SC transfers.

And to those that are staying at SC or it's new incarnation from Belize...well, I can't even find the words...

Picard
04-20-2006, 11:06 PM
Andes,
BTW, you take Step II (CS and CK) before you graduate. In fact, you need to take them by the end of December in your final year of med school in order to participate in Match.

There are several states that will sponsor you for Step III (apply through FSMB) as soon as you receive your med school diploma. California is one of them. I don't think you need to physically be in CA to take Step III through CMB (as far as I know), you merely need to name CA Medical Board as your sponsoring board during the process. Check into this when the time comes for you to take Step III. Starting over this fall should put you within the 7 year rule with one year to spare.

P

IndianSClink
04-21-2006, 05:44 PM

Andes
04-21-2006, 08:33 PM
No, Saba has plenty of cores for their own students, just not st. chris transfer students. You have to find ur own cores either by ur self or with st. chris, then transfer into 4th year electives and do 42 weeks. Call saba for more info.

amyames
04-21-2006, 08:36 PM
You said that there is not any cores in SABA hospitals, so that means when you are in your 3rd year at SABA, you have to find your own core rotations?

It is a pain in the neck to find your core rotations.
SABA can not even set up their own core rotations in the U.S for their own students ?????

I would not want to go to SABA knowing that I have to set up my own core rotations in my 3rd year.

nope, Saba arranges the cores for its 3rd year students. I know this from current clinical students. Some had to wait inbtw the rotations, but if they wanted all greenbook cores, they got them.

Perhaps Andes meant that there are no cores for the students that transfer into clincals? I guess Saba wants it make a tougher decision so that people don't transfer into clinical rotations, but just my guess.

teratos
04-21-2006, 08:48 PM
The extra leg work is worth it for a degree from Saba. You won't be able to practice in CA because of the course work done at SC, but Saba is a stable school with a long track record. G

Andes
04-22-2006, 12:28 AM
On another note....

Pt-doctor skills is physical diagnosis, u take that in fifth semester in st. chris. Ur on the Cayman isalnd campus. Ur at the perfect time to transfer becasue u won't be losing anytime.

microphage
04-22-2006, 02:25 AM
Pt-doctor skills is physical diagnosis, u take that in fifth semester in st. chris. Ur on the Cayman isalnd campus. Ur at the perfect time to transfer becasue u won't be losing anytime.

hummm why u bumping back old posts? :shock:

NOTKNOW
04-22-2006, 07:02 AM
Well Going Back To An Earlier Post:

Hospitals Weed Out

-that Is True If You Took Credits After St. Chris Lost Its Approval Then Those Classes Are No Good

-however According To All 50 States If You Took Classes While A School Was Accredited Those Credits Are Good (i Am Not Saying You Can Practice In All 50 That Depends On What Your School Was Approved In Prior To Its Downfall)

-but The Bottom Line All Credits Taken Prior To Loss Of Accreditation Are Good And All After Our Bogus

Good Luck

Picard
04-22-2006, 04:57 PM
That's why I think Andes is doing the right thing by starting over from Day One at SABA.

P

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.