PDA

View Full Version : A Few Little Questions...

vishcious
12-21-2005, 03:04 PM
a few of us are starting this Jan 2006 and have all been having a few questions about things we should do before we come and after etc....so if anyone has any suggestions to the following, please share.

1) is it better convert dollars into pounds before or after coming to luton (obviously we'll need some before we come to get around but we're talking about larger sums of cash)?

2) how are classes arranged in that, do all people say starting in jan 2006 have the same classes at the same time or are their sections? also doesn't every class meet daily or what is a typical schedule at st chris like?

Also on a more serious note, and it would be appreciated if people provide a source for how or why they know this (more than I have an inside source)...we were wondering...

1) Is the GMC actually going to even post more or is the investigation done? The impression we got from what has been posted on their website (definitely not from ValueMD) is that the investigation is pretty much done and that although the GMC can not support St. Chris in the same way as it does the UK based Med programs, it is also saying it can not close or deny St Chris in terms of teaching. The true message we understood is a "Buyer Beware" in which UK students will not or will have a difficult time doing rotations and in no way does this affect the schools exsistance nor U.S. rotations. Once again it would be helpful if only people who truly know factual info about this with sources can answer rather than skeptics or individuals who are unsure but would like to voice their opinion.

2) We have spent sometime looking into the licensure process for being approved in the state of California and have even spoken to a few St. Chris faculty/admin. in regards to approval. It seems as though it is not a major priority for the school at this time to be approved in the state since the school is still fairly new and has more important matters to establish before tackling individual state licensures. This seems completely understandable. However they did mention that they do plan to apply for approval in the future once other areas of the school have been funded and established. So with that said, does anyone know how long the process once takes place once the school applies? And also in the future when they do apply and if it is approved, will graduates prior to the approval date be allowed to practice? For those who are skeptical and think the school has already attempted approval, I suggest review the state of California's Med website in which they post schools which have been approved and those which have not, or call their office in which we did and confirmed that St. Chris has not yet applied.

Anyways thanks in advance to those who reply with factual knowledge. I know alot of people out there have good intentions whether it be to support the school or to bring forth doubt in the school's procedure but at this point, the most helpful thing would be for knowledgeable people with factual info to post and opinions and bias be left at the door. Once again thanks, i look forward to hearing your replies.

smoohead
12-21-2005, 03:58 PM
Adding, to the above, I'd love to know how exam schedules are laid out...and is it an 8-5 school day?

Y1115
12-21-2005, 04:09 PM
i spoke to a st. chris student about two days ago and she suggested that i convert dollars into pounds here because i'll get a much better rate. i also asked her about the whole gmc investigation and she said that it does not have anything to do with the us students. as far as clinicals in cleveland, they are having some problems but are working on it. this is what a student told me so dont take it all as facts. but honestly after being completely confused and uncertain after reading all the posts on this site, it was a relief talking to a current student because after all they would probably have the best info.

Y1115
12-21-2005, 04:10 PM
she also said shes in class from 9 to 5. im pretty sure she said 9 not 8. and there's a ten minute break after each hour as well as an hour lunch break.

OLDPRO
12-21-2005, 04:36 PM
Okay I transferred from St. Chris but will answer a few here.

1. Conversion of money is a lose lose situation, just think of 1 usd worth 0.55 cents and a $5 USD extra value meal costing $9 USD (thats 1 GBP worth 1.8 USD), Shocked? well thats life in England as an American. The best way to survive is to make sure you have enough cash to cover this, I use a credit card (costs me 0.50 cents for every conversion at 1.78 currently) and Debit card at cash machines, yea american debit cards should work fine, the bank charges me only 1 usd for conversion no ATM fee over here. The Post office have the best rates for turning USD into Pounds over here.

2. GMC we all have to wait no further comment.

3.Usual is classes everyday for MD, for premed it varies but you will have classes everyday.
MD is 9 to 3, 9 to 5, Anatomy lab in London so it may be after 6 to 7 when you get home. Sections? Don't know and the Admin won't do that till you are here.

4. I f you go to any school that a state that approves schools for practice and have not approved the school yet, the answer is NEVER. You will never be able to get a Lic in that state per the statements by the State officials.

Good Luck.

a few of us are starting this Jan 2006 and have all been having a few questions about things we should do before we come and after etc....so if anyone has any suggestions to the following, please share.

1) is it better convert dollars into pounds before or after coming to luton (obviously we'll need some before we come to get around but we're talking about larger sums of cash)?

2) how are classes arranged in that, do all people say starting in jan 2006 have the same classes at the same time or are their sections? also doesn't every class meet daily or what is a typical schedule at st chris like?

Also on a more serious note, and it would be appreciated if people provide a source for how or why they know this (more than I have an inside source)...we were wondering...

1) Is the GMC actually going to even post more or is the investigation done? The impression we got from what has been posted on their website (definitely not from ValueMD) is that the investigation is pretty much done and that although the GMC can not support St. Chris in the same way as it does the UK based Med programs, it is also saying it can not close or deny St Chris in terms of teaching. The true message we understood is a "Buyer Beware" in which UK students will not or will have a difficult time doing rotations and in no way does this affect the schools exsistance nor U.S. rotations. Once again it would be helpful if only people who truly know factual info about this with sources can answer rather than skeptics or individuals who are unsure but would like to voice their opinion.

2) We have spent sometime looking into the licensure process for being approved in the state of California and have even spoken to a few St. Chris faculty/admin. in regards to approval. It seems as though it is not a major priority for the school at this time to be approved in the state since the school is still fairly new and has more important matters to establish before tackling individual state licensures. This seems completely understandable. However they did mention that they do plan to apply for approval in the future once other areas of the school have been funded and established. So with that said, does anyone know how long the process once takes place once the school applies? And also in the future when they do apply and if it is approved, will graduates prior to the approval date be allowed to practice? For those who are skeptical and think the school has already attempted approval, I suggest review the state of California's Med website in which they post schools which have been approved and those which have not, or call their office in which we did and confirmed that St. Chris has not yet applied.

Anyways thanks in advance to those who reply with factual knowledge. I know alot of people out there have good intentions whether it be to support the school or to bring forth doubt in the school's procedure but at this point, the most helpful thing would be for knowledgeable people with factual info to post and opinions and bias be left at the door. Once again thanks, i look forward to hearing your replies.

empathy
12-22-2005, 12:31 PM
Contact the GMC

Please email the GMC if you have questions regarding the investigation.

From the GMC website:

Please contact us ([email protected]) for advice if you are currently studying or applying to study at this institution.

[email protected]

1) Is the GMC actually going to even post more or is the investigation done? The impression we got from what has been posted on their website (definitely not from ValueMD) is that the investigation is pretty much done and that although the GMC can not support St. Chris in the same way as it does the UK based Med programs, it is also saying it can not close or deny St Chris in terms of teaching. The true message we understood is a "Buyer Beware" in which UK students will not or will have a difficult time doing rotations and in no way does this affect the schools exsistance nor U.S. rotations.

bts4202
12-23-2005, 04:16 PM
If you attend St. Christopher's, be prepared to work very hard. It is not a free ride and some people have learned that the hard way.

neilc
12-23-2005, 04:24 PM
are any of you really still considering attending st chris???? that blows my mind.....

neilc
12-23-2005, 04:25 PM
If you attend St. Christopher's, be prepared to work very hard. It is not a free ride and some people have learned that the hard way.

and be prepared for the chance that all of that hard work may be for nothing. i highly recommend you do not learn that the hard way.

bts4202
12-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Yeah, it is amazing. I still get quite a few emails each week from new students and prospectives. Unfortunately I am too busy to answer all of them, but I answer when I can.

smoohead
12-23-2005, 04:40 PM
I think everyone is just confused. People who are not there already are probably leaving for Luton in about a week. Preparations have already been made (we're mentally preparing ourselves, plane tickets have been purchased, tuition has been paid, packing has begun, deposits have been put down on apartments).

On the one hand, we have people like yourself on an all-out attack on the school...and on the other hand, we have students in clinicals and other years (both on the forum and off) who are telling us it's ok. Then we are asked to look to the GMC and do our own research but there are too many dead ends to really understand what is really going on. The GMC itself has proven unreliable because of the continually changing statements on the website.

I understand that you only hope the best for us new students and don't want us to get stuck in a bad situation, but please do try to be a little sympathetic as to our situation as well. It really isn't fun to make all these plans and be totally ready to start and then realize at the last minute that any day now, it can all be pulled out from under you before you even set foot on the plane. It really shouldn't 'blow your mind' that we are still considering going to the school. A lot of us are just stuck at this point.

And so we'll go. We'll start classes. And then we'll see what happens. And if we find the need to transfer after we begin, then so be it.

I am tired of hearing implications that we chose this school just to say that we went to a British school and that we chose it over a more 'established' school because we thought we could get an MD with a 2.0 GPA (and yes, all of this has been said in other recent threads, if not in this one). My personal reasons for choosing St. Chris and for not getting into a U.S. school run far deeper than that, as I'm sure, do many of my future classmates' reasons.

That said...I do appreciate everyone's concern, those of you who try to be encouraging and positive, as well as those of you who go a little too far to find out the 'truth' at the cost of showing respect for other people. I know that, deep down, you mean well...

ni203
12-23-2005, 04:58 PM
I think everyone is just confused. People who are not there already are probably leaving for Luton in about a week. Preparations have already been made (we're mentally preparing ourselves, plane tickets have been purchased, tuition has been paid, packing has begun, deposits have been put down on apartments)....I know that, deep down, you mean well...

I can understand what many of you are going through right now, especially in the holiday season. I am very sorry that you guys have to go through all these stuff right now.
My good wishes are with you guys, because I myself a student who wants to attend medical college in the future and I do understand that for many becoming a physician is a childhood dream (especially in my case).

I really do wish all the students of St Christopher’s best of luck, because you guys do not DESERVE to be in this mess.

neilc
12-23-2005, 06:02 PM
you know smoohead, i am sympathetic. sort of. the fact is, for whatever reason, you are attending a school with huge risks. at this point, best of luck, but you really shouldn't be expecting much.

btw, i am not on an all out attack of the school. i am an attack on the misinformation spread by students and admin. i would caution you to base your info on current students and admin. admin want your money, and current students want to believe what admin tell you. go with the official sources, and when in doubt, plan for the worst case scenario.

i would really encourage you to take a semester off, or apply elsewhere

smoohead
12-23-2005, 10:38 PM
I wasn't expecting a lot to begin with. Just to be given a chance to fulfill my 'childhood dream' like a lot of other people on this forum.

You speculate, and so do the people who support the school. Nobody KNOWS what is going on 100% but everyone feels the need to choose a side and speculate. Then, when a decision is made and the 'truth' finally comes out, whichever side wins decides to point out how they were right all along and they get to put themselves up on a pedestal.

It is a risk to go ANY foreign school, whether it be SC or an 'established' school, isn't it? All I am saying is that the people who are still going are more or less aware of the risks and are willing to take the plunge accordingly for fear of wasting another semester (if they defer, or giving up the school they wanted if they apply elsewhere) should the issue be resolved. We really don't need people to make us feel even worse about still going to SC despite the situation... :-/ Warn us if you must, but then can't you just let it be? Why do we have to hear gloating and bickering as well? I am sorry if I have misinterpreted you, but I have also given you the benefit of the doubt. It's just that your earlier statement really rubbed me the wrong way...

But it's my birthday and I guess I'm done blabbering about this cuz it'll just ruin my day to think about it more than I have to ;o)

TAFKA
12-23-2005, 10:51 PM
edited to remove text

neilc
12-23-2005, 11:18 PM
well, smoohead, sorry if my comments rub you the wrong way. i have been around a long time on these boards, and have seen the crap that st chris admin and students have tried to pull. frankly, it makes me sick.

as far as school being a risk wherever you go...well, sure there is some risk anywhere. but the level of risk is vastly different. for example, when you attend a school that has fully licensed grads working in every state of the nation, you know that a state will not likely deny you a license based strictly on your school. if your school has only a few grads in a few states, basically all the rest of the states are a risk. also, schools like st chris are trying something that has never been tried, and are currently facing questions (and risks) that most other schools are not subject too. that alone is a significantly greater risk than pretty much every other carib style school out there!

you mention that we are all speculating...well, that is not really true. i am not guessing anything. the school IS a risk, and IS facing issues. it may get through, it may not. the thing that gets me is the fact that most other schools are NOT facing these issues.

so, go to st chris, and best of luck to you. i have no issue with the st chris students that go, and work hard to get where they want to be. i have no issue with those that go aware of the greater risk the choice entails, and those that chose st chris despite this. that is fine. i wish you the best.

my only point here is to make sure that people do not fall for the marketting, for the constant unbased optimism that the school tries to sell.

bts4202
12-24-2005, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the great post smoohead. Level headed people like you are what the medical proffesion needs.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.