PDA

View Full Version : Juuust a couple more questions...

smoohead
12-03-2005, 02:27 AM
I am trying to book a round trip ticket from my city to London (it's cheaper that way)...is the last day of classes (as posted on the academic calendar) also the last day of exams? Or does exam week start after that last day of class?

Also, does anyone use Vonage for their phone/internet combo? I know it's available in Luton, so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Otherwise, I have a cell phone I am bringing and I was planning on just purchasing a pay-as-you-go SIM card.

Oh! And how long does it usually take to get internet set up in an apartment (a week? 2 weeks? more??)? Is there any way for me to get the equipment sent to that St. Chris address listed in stickies and just install it myself (so I just have to call and activate it later)?

OLDPRO
12-03-2005, 05:47 AM
I am trying to book a round trip ticket from my city to London (it's cheaper that way)...is the last day of classes (as posted on the academic calendar) also the last day of exams? Or does exam week start after that last day of class?

Also, does anyone use Vonage for their phone/internet combo? I know it's available in Luton, so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience with it. Otherwise, I have a cell phone I am bringing and I was planning on just purchasing a pay-as-you-go SIM card.

Oh! And how long does it usually take to get internet set up in an apartment (a week? 2 weeks? more??)? Is there any way for me to get the equipment sent to that St. Chris address listed in stickies and just install it myself (so I just have to call and activate it later)?

Do not book "the last day" Book for the day after. When leaving to go home. Most cheap round trips will not let you stay 3 months though so I don't know how it is cheaper, My wife and son are flying back to the USA from here for 270 USD a piece using the to ticket and trashing the other ticket. Yes use pay as you go, and No your phone probaly will not work here because Europe uses a different digital system only triband may work. but you can buy a nokia here for 19 pounds pay as you go Virgin (about 32 usd). All calls in, even from overseas are free, you pay for all outgoing calls.

Internet will take 1 to 2 weeks to set up. You will need to get your place then order it. Most use ntl. I pay 20 pounds a month for broad band.

School has wireless you can use, Oh please buy your computer there in the USA a laptop, you will need it! A laptop there that is 800 usd is about 700 pounds here about 1190 usd so almost 400 usd more!

Jayhawk, MD
12-06-2005, 06:26 PM
Just a note:
As whuds said, your mobile phone may not work here. HOWEVER... if you have an unlocked GSM phone, there is a good chance you'll be able to use it. I brought my Sony Ericsson phone with me from the states (it was unlocked when I bought it), and it works fine with most of networks here.

I think the network frequencies 1900MHz, 1800MHz, and 800MHz are those primarily used in the UK (90% sure). Most (if not all) US GSM phones will support 1900Mhz so you should be okay using a carrier here (T-mobile UK, O2, Orange, etc).

If you're bringing a phone that you used on Verizon or Sprint (TDMA, CDMA networks) you definately won't be able to use it here.

@whuds -- please correct me if I'm wrong :-)

smoohead
12-07-2005, 01:16 AM
Ya, I have a tri-band phone, but I was just going to use a pay-as-you go card for emergencies and short phone calls (study groups and such)...other than that, I'll be getting Vonage to talk to my parents and stuff... I hope this works!!

Thanks for your help, you 2 :)

Copyright © 2003-2020 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.