PDA

View Full Version : has anyone seen this Question

Unregistered2
11-23-2005, 10:10 PM
I got this question in Q-bank and i didn't quite understand the explanation. Any help would be appreciated.

The question is as follows. A 72 yr old man visits physicican for a cough that persisted for 7 months. The man thinks he was exposed to asbestos during his 5's when he worked for 4 years as an insulation factory. CXR shows mottling. The table below shows the pulmonary volumes and capacities obtained by simple spirometry and helium without techniques. What is the TLC of the patient

What follows is spirometry. The axes do not have a scale and the graph appears to be drawn on horizontally lined paper.

the values are

a) 2L
b) 3L
c) 4L
d) 5L
e) 6L
-

According to Kaplan TLC= FRC+ IC= RV+ERV +IRV+TV. The answer was 4L
How did they get 4L ( it does not work out to 4L when you create a scale on the volume axis based on the horizontal lines).

thanks

Unregistered
01-04-2006, 06:25 PM
I got this question in Q-bank and i didn't quite understand the explanation. Any help would be appreciated.
The question is as follows. A 72 yr old man visits physicican for a cough that persisted for 7 months. The man thinks he was exposed to asbestos during his 5's when he worked for 4 years as an insulation factory. CXR shows mottling. The table below shows the pulmonary volumes and capacities obtained by simple spirometry and helium without techniques. What is the TLC of the patient
What follows is spirometry. The axes do not have a scale and the graph appears to be drawn on horizontally lined paper.
the values are
a) 2L
b) 3L
c) 4L
d) 5L
e) 6L
-
According to Kaplan TLC= FRC+ IC= RV+ERV +IRV+TV. The answer was 4L
How did they get 4L ( it does not work out to 4L when you create a scale on the volume axis based on the horizontal lines).
thanks

did anyone answer this ? I'm also wondering how you are supposed to know the value if the graph does not have a legend. Is there a common convention on how many liters each line represents ?

Unregistered
01-12-2006, 05:09 PM
each horizontal line in a kaplan spirometer is a half a liter.

Unregistered
01-15-2006, 07:13 AM
There are 10 horizontal lines on the kaplan spirometer.
FRC + IC spans all 10 lines.
So that would come out to 5 liters. But the answer is 4.
So each horizontal line is NOT a half liter.
I guess its more like 0.4 liters. But that is a funny way to graduate an axis.

Unregistered
01-19-2006, 06:25 PM
the graphs are not to scale.

While tidal volume (the squiggly) is 0.5 L, the other horizontal lines do not stay consistent widths.

Copyright © 2003-2018 ValueMD, LLC. All rights reserved.